Zero Punctuation: Scribblenauts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 143 NEXT

Gotta say, best-written, best-paced review in a while. The ending was brilliant, I gotta say.

It is stars for the star borne ones
also..."At the bottom of the abyss Yahtzee lies, not dead but dreaming" :)

^ is that what was at the end in the credits? lol

samsonguy920:

LGC Pominator:
Sooo

Is Yahtzee avoiding ODST like the plague or something? Or is it still Aussie release dates screwing him over?

You've obviously missed Yahtzee's enthusiasm for Halo games, as in he has none. I get the impression he'd rather play a JRPG than a Halo game. Me? I'd rather play ODST myself. Especially instead of Scribblenauts...

yeah I know that Yahtzee isnt exactly the biggest fan of halo, however one would think that a highly hyped game in a series of extremely popular games which is very different to all of the other games in the series might be a nice thing to jump on for the man

In exactitude it was 'In his house at R'lyeh dead Yahtzee waits dreaming' from Call of Cthulhu

ah thank you lol, I figured it was a lovecraft reference but I've never read his stuff :\ I should. What I have learned about Cthulu and such sounds cool

AlexFromOmaha:

sramota:
Great... A DS game... Because that's what I'm dying to get, a kiddie game for a DS...
Thanks..
Next week can we get a game anyone cares about and actually on some level talks about... And likes?

This is uninformed, to say the least.

Scribblenauts cleaned up at E3. Tons of awards. Lots of chatter. So, yeah, it's a game that people care about and talk about.

And you know why that is? No one tried it. They gave it awards based on videos and game play sample from 5th cell.

I'm sorry, but the Incredible Machine was better than Scribblenaut, and it's 20 years old.

I laughed at that little rant about why you can't create alcohol.

And I don't know what it is about this game... I hate the controls, as they're truly abysmal, yet I can't pull myself away from the damn game.

I think the concept is admirable, but it seems it could have been loads better with more depth.

It's not "Ka-THOO-loo," damnit.

Lovecraft himself explained the pronuciation. It's more along the lines of "KHLOO-loo," with the first syllable pronounced like you've got a vicious throat infection. The common mangling of the name is just one more reason to hate Chaosium for what they've done to the mythos.

That out of the way, the fact that the game allows you to summon him is awesome. Shame the controls sound terrible, but it might be worth buying when it hits $20.

Ammadessi:

In addition, giving human-like characters a reason to be in the game would have helped too. Spawning a pirate and a ninja is fun and all, but during the puzzle and action levels spawning humans is simply pointless. Except engineers can flip switches, or something.

I just use 'em as button-weights. Alongside other such things as 'weight', 'clone', 'robot', 'zombie' and 'corpse'.

Wow, I really thought he would like this game.

Chaotic Neutral:
It's not "Ka-THOO-loo," damnit.

Lovecraft himself explained the pronuciation. It's more along the lines of "KHLOO-loo," with the first syllable pronounced like you've got a vicious throat infection. The common mangling of the name is just one more reason to hate Chaosium for what they've done to the mythos.

That out of the way, the fact that the game allows you to summon him is awesome. Shame the controls sound terrible, but it might be worth buying when it hits $20.

The fact that it matters leads me to doubt your reasoning.

A good return to form form for ZP, and I actually laughed once or twice this week, which is more then I have the past 8 or 9.

Lord_Seth:
Finally pointing out? Every single review I've seen of the game complained about the controls.

Yes but also every single review passes it off like a non issue because they can spawn a golf club and hit God with it.

yahtzee you are fucking genios keep making videos

It's definitely a fun game, but you just need the imagination to do it, yahtzee lacks that although i do remember going through an entire level that looked like it should have been done in a certain complex way but then i used my logic finished it my way which was like 2 items rather that 6 or something

Don't dis Drawn to Life, i mean who hasn't wanted to create their own character and weapons ...although it was a kinda childish game it was still great and fun

In Closing: When are you going to review Dissidia, afraid you'll enjoy it?

I laughed throughout this whole review. Props to you, Yahtzee.

I played a bit of Scribblenauts. It was amusing but I doubt I'd ever play it again. Controlling the character was godawful, they really should have let you use the D-pad for that. I ended up using the same items over and over again too (my biggest abuse was a jetpack) because some of them didn't work like you'd think they would so what's the point?

Summoning scuba diving equipment allowed my character to dive, but when I came to a puzzle where I had to get a guy on a boat safely through a lightning storm summoning a lightning rod did jack shit. What's up with that?

so the solution to pretty much everything is to summon Cthulhu....

fun

Yahtzee said everything that went through my mind when I played this game. To wit:

1. It sounds like it would be fun to have the power to summon anything. But when you actually can you kinda get put on the spot. You suddenly can't think of a single thing to do.

2. Maxwell controls like a cow. With roller skates. And alcohol poisoning.

3. Ropes and glue are almost impossible to use.

4. There are a lot of levels where the obvious solution doesn't work.

5. There are actually a lot of things you can't summon, so when you actually get an idea it doesn't work half the time.

6. A lot of things don't do anything at all. Or at least not what you expect them to.

7. Once you summon a living thing you have no control over what it does. So Cthulhu would always attack me.

8. Its actually not that fun to stick a panda on a pogo stick. Its fun to imagine, but once you see it its just boring.

In the end, it was a waste of $30. I've always said that I never buy games until I hear they're good. I broke that rule for this and payed the price (which was $30).

Telling them to look up what fun means was the coldest this I ever heard you say.

If he's serious about Cthulhu being something you can summon that's awesome, but still it's not my kind of game.

I actually resubscribed to GameFly to give this game a try. Whether or not the gameplay mechanics are all that hot, and even if the physics are an exercise in aggravation, I think the sheer delight of seeing how many words actually produce something would be great for a lark.

It sounds like I'd probably need to enforce a "do not use the same word twice" rule to make the game remotely challenging, though.

Captain Pancake:
It seems a moot point saying a DS game is bad, seeing as most of the people who have DS's are little brothers and geriartrics who can't remember what 2+2 equals.

See this is why Yahtzee should not review games on Nintendo systems if he's going to be negative about it: Because then I have to put up with dipshit comments like this plaguing the discussion thread.

In Closing: When are you going to review Dissidia, afraid you'll enjoy it?

Bad idea. Yahtzee's hatred of Final Fantasy + his hatred of fighting games = possibly enough hatred and flame wars to pretty much turn the forums into a raging inferno.

Lordofthesuplex:

Captain Pancake:
It seems a moot point saying a DS game is bad, seeing as most of the people who have DS's are little brothers and geriartrics who can't remember what 2+2 equals.

See this is is why Yahtzee should not review games on Nintendo systems if he's going to be negative about it: Because then I have to put up with dipshit comments like this plaguing the discussion thread.

Oi, be quiet. He's a lot smarter than you, pal.
OT: I say we just end ZP, seeing as how it's about as funny as a five year old who has a fetish for screaming profanity on the playground... You know, terrible? Wasn't sure if some of you caught that (-cough- Lordofthesuplex -cough-)

Thats funny as hell....but when you gonna do ODST

Did anyone else notice that Yahtzee misspelled Kalishnikov? And then he complained that the game didn't recognize it. I don't have the game myself, so I don't know if spelling it correctly makes a difference, but I'm just saying, check a dictionary before you criticize.

Am I a total idiot for thinking this game might be worth buying... (please don't give a jackass response)

Ooh, harsh....but accurate.
I was disappointed in this game mostly because all of the thousands of objects don't actually do much. Like I tried to distract a cop by summoning a disco, but he could have cared less. I tried to summon an animal trainer to train a unicorn, but there was no interaction, so i tried a virgin, still no love, then a carrot, nothing, a bridle, couldn't be put on the unicorn. So : Helicopter+rope. Works every time. It's an occasional toilet game at best.

Odds are, all I would spawn would be either Cthulu or a Dalek (if I could)

Indiscrimi:
Did anyone else notice that Yahtzee misspelled Kalishnikov? And then he complained that the game didn't recognize it. I don't have the game myself, so I don't know if spelling it correctly makes a difference, but I'm just saying, check a dictionary before you criticize.

It gives suggestions if a word is barely off.

As for Scribblenauts quality, I find it a pretty good game. Its controls are a pain, but I think the creativity outweighs that and keeps me playing. I've found the best way to do it is to avoid rope-like objects, and optimally play in a group of 2-3 people, so crazy ideas are more likely to happen. Though my group of friends is also slightly insane.

Hang on, what? You can summon Cthulhu? WTF? Cthulhu on DS? Are you being serious?

JimmyBassatti:

OT: I say we just end ZP, seeing as how it's about as funny as a five year old who has a fetish for screaming profanity on the playground... You know, terrible? Wasn't sure if some of you caught that (-cough- Lordofthesuplex -cough-)

Excuse me? You think it's fair to say that the Nintendo DS is only for little brothers and geriatrics? Not only does that comment insult me, but I can tell you right now that that is a stereotype about Nintendo that needs to fucking die. Why don't we just call all 360 owners hooting frat boys while we're at it?

Also keep in mind, Yahtzee's fanbase is full of people who take his word to be the absolute truth and that all other reviewers are wrong. When I see them say the game sucks simply because Yahtzee does without even playing it for themselves, just adds fuel to my anger. So maybe when these people let up a bit, I'll stop acting like an ass.

Also while I do agree with Yahtzee on the whole "access to everything" remark, let me ask this. Would you rather have too many options or barely any at all?

I DO consider Scribblenauts to be worth a rental at least. I wouldn't call it boring, just annoying.

Hang on, what? You can summon Cthulhu? WTF? Cthulhu on DS? Are you being serious?

And God, and Satan, and a cerberus, and the Kraken, and robotic T-Rexes, hell even Shoggoth works.

Lordofthesuplex:

JimmyBassatti:

Excuse me? You think it's fair to say that the Nintendo DS is only for little brothers and geriatrics? Not only does that comment insult me, but I can tell you right now that that is a stereotype about Nintendo that needs to fucking die. Why don't we just call all 360 owners hooting frat boys while we're at it?

Also keep in mind, Yahtzee's fanbase is full of people who take his word to be the absolute truth and that all other reviewers are wrong. When I see them say the game sucks simply because Yahtzee does without even playing it for themselves, just adds fuel to my anger. So maybe when these people let up a bit, I'll stop acting like an ass.

Also while I do agree with Yahtzee on the whole "access to everything" remark, let me ask this. Would you rather have too many options or barely any at all?

I DO consider Scribblenauts to be worth a rental at least. I wouldn't call it boring, just annoying.

He doesn't need to be smart in here. He's smart in another thread, that's more important than this. Therefor, that redeems itself.

Anitoon:
Telling them to look up what fun means was the coldest this I ever heard you say.

Yeah. In fact, he seemed very bored during his review of the game. Maybe that's just me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 143 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here