Escape to the Movies: DVD Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DVD Review

Nothing at the theater, no worries check out these DVDs.

Watch Video

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing your job from the living room.

I must rent this new Wallace and Gromit movie.

Wallace and grommet was my generations moon landing i loved those cartoons when i was a kid and thankfully my age has not sullied them there still great even though they are technically kids films.

Also i disagree witth bob that this is the darkest one ..... that penguin was scary as shit!

Englishman in the USA

to all people in this counter If you have any appreciation of british (or just plain slapstick) comedy then watch the Wallace and Gromit series. The first is A Grand Day Out and is older and simpler so may be worth leaving until you appreciate the series.

it IS awesome and....Damn you now I want to watch them all over again! DVD store tonight for me!

I completely agree, if you are not familiar with W&G you need to stop what you are doing right now, go to your local video store or retailer and just buy them. They are great movies with great characters.

Nice review! Especially the Wallace and Grommit thingy.

Something completely unrelated: Your show's intro and extro music are really good, I wish The Escapist would make new music in a similar style for Zero Punctuation (I really dislike its current intro music).

Grammar Nazi surfaces:

"lands him and Gromit", not "lands he and Gromit".

As a UK resident I am most proud to see Wallace and Gromit recieving the love. Hah.

Movie Bob is brilliant, I hope the Escapist puts more of a stake on his stuff in future- in fact now that Unforgotten Realms is out, host the GAME OVERTHINKER.
Yahtzee and the Overthinker on the same site would save me much surfing time.

The guy at 1:10 looks like my old tutor, i jumped because it looke dlike him so much!

As for Wallis and gromit.. it makes me proud to be british! (But the wrong trousers will always be my favourite! I love that penguin!)

"Implying that Metallica was ever good"

good reviews though Wallace and Gromit is fucking amazing

Nothing new in the theatre? Technically, the Invention of Lying came out last week, but I see no reason why he couldn't have reviewed it for this week. Well worth watching.

There's people out there that haven't heard of Wallace and Grommit? I'm stunned, does that mean there's people out there who haven't heard of Monty Python too? If you haven't seen either of these classics then I suggest you crawl out from under that rock you've been living under and find some way of watching them. While you're at it, take a look at Black Books; a short sitcom that mostly takes place in a bookshop and SPACED; the very T.V. series that inspired a twenty-something-year-old Simon Pegg into making Shaun Of The Dead. You don't have to pay for these, you can get both of them for FREE on by typing "4oD" into Google and searching for both of them in their "Watch Now" section.

While you're there also check out Peep Show and Garth Maranghi's Darkplace, some of you might hate them, but that's your opinion. Please don't blame me if they're not your thing, I've never met you.

gim73:
Nothing new in the theatre? Technically, the Invention of Lying came out last week, but I see no reason why he couldn't have reviewed it for this week. Well worth watching.

I'm staying away from "The Invention Of Lying" for two reasons.

One: Ricky Gervais doesn't work well on screen, he's good as a stand-up comedian and in short bursts like when he did the original version of "The Office" but watching him through an entire feature length film will grate heavily on me.

Two: This concept has been done before YEARS ago. The first episode of "Tripping The Rift" to air on T.V. titled "God Is Our Pilot" where Chode and Gus go back in time and accidentally kill God by crashing their ship on top of him. As a result everything in the universe is perfect and nothing ever goes wrong, but with Chode being the little purple crook that he is, he uses the opportunity to lie, cheat and steal and, in the process, revealing these concepts to the inhabitants of the parallel universe. Chaos ensues, everyone starts raping, stealing and killing for the hell of it and Chode and Gus have to go back in time to set things right.

Loaf and Death is really cool, especially since Grommit finally gets a romance of his own.

Armored Prayer:
I must rent this new Wallace and Gromit movie.

Its not a movie, it clocks in at around 40 mins.

I was not expecting Bob to reveiw a classic British series though, mianly because I saw it last year :0

Garth Maranghi's Darkplace is one of the best. Also Black Books was great too. They tried a short stint of showing it here in the States, but...SHOCK...americans didn't get it. It makes me ashamed to be American when You guys have this and we have Tim & Eric and How I Met Your Mother. And knowing us, we probably ripped the concept of these shows from the UK and drained them of the humor like we did with The Office.

Thank you Movie Bob, the Wallace & Gromit movie passed totaly below my radar. Keep up the film geekery.

DrTrevelyan:
Garth Maranghi's Darkplace is one of the best. Also Black Books was great too. They tried a short stint of showing it here in the States, but...SHOCK...americans didn't get it. It makes me ashamed to be American when You guys have this and we have Tim & Eric and How I Met Your Mother. And knowing us, we probably ripped the concept of these shows from the UK and drained them of the humor like we did with The Office.

I'm not so bothered about America ripping off comedies, but when they try putting the cultural genius of Life on Mars into an American setting...
Why? I mean, God, why? The point of the show was to relive 1973 England's social anxieties and reflect the modern 'over-soft touch' of UK police. How does -any- of that translate to a New York drama?

really? nothing at the theater? no "Invention of Lying"? not even an easy take down with "couples retreat"? well i applaud Bob for avoiding the easy take down, but I would've appreciated his comments on Invention's premise and execution

still I'm glad to now know about Anvil, The Anvil Story. as a metal fan and aspiring rock sar myself I'll have to check that out

Who in the world has never heard of Wallace and Gromit?

Another Awesome Review. Doubt i'll ever rent/buy either DVD. But it's fun to learn what doesn't suck

That Dude in the Shades:
Another Awesome Review. Doubt i'll ever rent/buy either DVD. But it's fun to learn what doesn't suck

same here only one im interested in is wallace and gromit as always.

Everyone else seems to have mentioned this already, but yeah, did The Invention of Lying never actually happen? Seems to me like you would have mentioned it. If you chose not to review it, that's one thing, but saying "WELP NOTHING IS NEW THIS WEEK" is more than a little untrue.

And yeah, Wallis and Gromit has always been great.

It wasn't highlighed by just by mentioning it, people should know what genres those movies are and if they don't like such then they may not like it even if it's a good movie. I'm not a fan of documentary, but at a certain mood I might enjoy Anvil.
The Wallace and Gromit part was "unnecesary" for me since I know it's good and if I knew it was out I'd watch it - so thanks for telling me :)

Tsk Tsk You've all mentioned Invention of Lying and yet not one person has said anything about Zombieland, shame on you all (including MovieBob unless it hasn't been released in Boston yet). From the reviews I've been looking at it's supposed to be pretty good, definetely going to watch it next week. But there's also nothing wrong with a few DVD reviews

The Anvil band had an appearance on "the man awards" or whatever that was called on Spike. Oh well, maybe in the future.

rayman 101:
Tsk Tsk You've all mentioned Invention of Lying and yet not one person has said anything about Zombieland, shame on you all (including MovieBob unless it hasn't been released in Boston yet). From the reviews I've been looking at it's supposed to be pretty good, definetely going to watch it next week. But there's also nothing wrong with a few DVD reviews

He did Zombieland last week, when it came out.

ZombieGenesis:
As a UK resident I am most proud to see Wallace and Gromit recieving the love. Hah.

Movie Bob is brilliant, I hope the Escapist puts more of a stake on his stuff in future- in fact now that Unforgotten Realms is out, host the GAME OVERTHINKER.

As much as I'd like that, spread the love around a bit. We should get Daniel Floyd to fill that niche.

Sk_pulse:
snip

What the fuck was that? Whatever it is, I'll be seeing it in my nightmares.

Anyway, neither of these interest me very much, but good review anyway.

rayman 101:

He already did zombieland, and he liked it a fair bit.

obex:
Wallace and grommet was my generations moon landing i loved those cartoons when i was a kid and thankfully my age has not sullied them there still great even though they are technically kids films.

Also i disagree witth bob that this is the darkest one ..... that penguin was scary as shit!

Indeed! Wallace and Gromit are brilliant! Fortunately, Aardman didn't sell out to whoever was trying to buy it out a few years ago (I think it was Disney...?) as only they can nail the look and feel of Wallace and Gromit, who without the proper handling would look like a cheap rip off of Inspector Gadget.

As for a matter of Loaf and Death, I think its the best of the Wallace and Gromit films to date, and was laughing my head off throughout it last Christmans. Add to that, they've not lost the touch for the moments of emotion they have a talent with and...

Anywho...

orannis62:

ZombieGenesis:

As much as I'd like that, spread the love around a bit. We should get Daniel Floyd to fill that niche.

Oh hell yes, that'll be good, especially if we can get him to post once a month regularly.

rayman 101:

......?

Did you not see last week's MovieBob?

Woodsey:
Who in the world has never heard of Wallace and Gromit?

Jonny Foreigner, of course ;) Anywho, its pimms o'clock! Todal pip!

Ah Wallace and gromit I need to dig up an old vhs player so I can watch them again and remember why whenever I see a penguin I keep an eye on it.

sunpop:
Ah Wallace and gromit I need to dig up an old vhs player so I can watch them again and remember why whenever I see a penguin I keep an eye on it.

A penguin.... OR A CHICKEN!?

Yes, we did get to see Loaf and Death last year or so, but pretty much everything else you've reviewed hasn't been released here yet. Up came out today, and still waiting on ones like 9 and Zombieland

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here