Scribblenauts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I think this article is too heavy-handed, or at least exposes some narrow mindedness on the part of Yahtzee. It's good that the world is exposed enough to find those awesomely designed nuggets of fun that games like LBP bring us, but unless those nuggets of fun are designed by a professional they aren't worth finding?

I agree that there's a lot of crap out there, but this is just Sturgeon's Law for fuck's sake, so what is the real problem here? That you have to wade through it?

Tough shit, man; that's your job as a reviewer of games and as someone who bought LBP I knew what I was getting into so complaining that there are idiots out there making levels is a little like bitching that clouds produce rain or ZP makes dick jokes.

Opening up the world to comments and communities means that yeah, there are a lot of idiots out there, but it also means that you get to talk to people and filter out what you do and don't like (just as you always have) and get opinions from people whose tastes are similar to yours about what is and isn't enjoyable. You just get those opinions from people on the other side of the planet now instead of the local. I fail to see how that's a problem.

If Scribblenauts has a failing, then hit it for that (and that was done in the review pretty well I thought). The point about LBP is well made; there IS a lot of crap to wade through to find the good stuff if you want to play it online. How is that different from reading books, seeing movies, or ANYTHING you enjoy?

General Vagueness:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

"I was wondering if you were going to review Halo 3: ODST."
- Jacob Probasco, via email

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.

No.

Why?

That is because if you simply stare at Halo 3: ODST, then you instantly understand the fail that it is. His job is already complete! ^^

Deshara:

That's exactly what I said when I read what the changes were in ODST, or rather, the lack of changes between Halo 3 and ODST.

-no shields (to be fair you have "stamina" which acts the same as shields but there's less of it and as it goes away your vision reddens and you see little video artifacts)
-the silenced, scope-having SMG and pistol (which I'll admit aren't extremely different but they're different enough for me)
-no dual-wielding, and some weapon rebalancing as a result of that
-you play multiple characters
-the graphics and enemy AI (at least for the Brutes) have been touched up-- it's not a huge difference but if you look you'll see it
-it's apparently easier to get past invisible walls (which not be intentional, but Halo is quite known for "tricking", so it could be on purpose)
-Engineers, which Halo fans have been waiting for since the first game
and the big things, the shield thing to a degree and:
-non-regenerating health
-you move slower
-your melee is less powerful
-fall damage

Shihoudani:

That is because if you simply stare at Halo 3: ODST, then you instantly understand the fail that it is. His job is already complete! ^^

I take it you haven't played it. Also ^^ is not an emoticon.

I get *ahem* a bit insulted when someone calls me an idiot,because unlike 99% of the Internet,i have at least a semblance of a working brain.

Getting offended doesn't mean you're not an idiot, it just means you get offended, which ironically hints in the other direction.
When a man tells a crowd "you're all idiots" openly, you have to consider the context and the actual intentions of the man. Everyone laughs because they know Yahtzee has no bad intentions toward us, even more so, some of us probably hate the same things he does. Even if we are them ourselves. Hell, by commenting here, i've identified myself with the drooling, mouth-breathing crowd of social and cultural inepts that i also hate and wish the world would get rid of (though it applies more to Youtube than the Escapist). For that, i deserve to be called an idiot.

Booze Zombie:
You follow the trends of Halo-hate and misanthropy, doesn't that make you just as much a locked-in-your-ways-idiot as the rest of us?
Besides that, aren't you also exploiting "idiots" to make money like all these game devs?

If by "locked-in-your-ways-idiot" you mean "stubborn", then yes. Yahtzee has certain tastes that some may like and some may not, and he sticks to them. For example, he searches for fun in the actual mechanics of the game and cares less about cutscenes and story. However, that doesn't mean he's closed-minded. He may very well be, but he can easily be bad at other types of games, or simply not like them. He's also a batman fanboi as clearly shown in his Arkham Asylum review, but i don't expect him to be the impartial god of gaming judgement, so human flaws are more than acceptable here.
Second, i read the article and never got the part where he said that exploiting the idiots was a bad thing. I got the idea that he thought it was the smart thing to do.

Anyway, wrapping this up before i conjure another page.

I'd say one of Yahtzee's best to date. I haven't laughed that hard for a while.

General Vagueness:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

No.

Why?

because ODST is really just an expansion, not a full game, and yathzee only reviews full games.

The sandbox element depends on the game. Some games have done it well (Warcraft 3), and others haven't (Super Smash Bros Brawl).
Also, some user made games are actually good, such as DotA. And just because a game is made by a professional doesn't mean it's good. There have been professional games to rival the stupidity of user-made content.

General Vagueness:

Deshara:

That's exactly what I said when I read what the changes were in ODST, or rather, the lack of changes between Halo 3 and ODST.

-no shields (to be fair you have "stamina" which acts the same as shields but there's less of it and as it goes away your vision reddens and you see little video artifacts)
-the silenced, scope-having SMG and pistol (which I'll admit aren't extremely different but they're different enough for me)
-no dual-wielding, and some weapon rebalancing as a result of that
-you play multiple characters
-the graphics and enemy AI (at least for the Brutes) have been touched up-- it's not a huge difference but if you look you'll see it
-it's apparently easier to get past invisible walls (which not be intentional, but Halo is quite known for "tricking", so it could be on purpose)
-Engineers, which Halo fans have been waiting for since the first game
and the big things, the shield thing to a degree and:
-non-regenerating health
-you move slower
-your melee is less powerful
-fall damage

...So it's basically like any other FPS that isn't ripping off Halo?

Snowalker:

General Vagueness:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

No.

Why?

because ODST is really just an expansion, not a full game, and yathzee only reviews full games.

It's closer to a full game than an expansion and anyway he reviewed FEAR: Perseus Mandate which he said right in the beginning of the review was an expansion.

It's ironic that he uses nongame and culture BS, calls everyone an idiot and yet isn't seen as a troll.

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:
But wait, Dear Yathzee, by making these videos and articles, does that not make you an idiot too? Your assuming that people are interested in your thoughts aswell, just like the idiots you mentioned.'

Well you obviously care if you took the time to read and comment.

I'd bet that more people care about what Yahzee thinks than what you think. Judging from the fact that he gets paid for his opinion and because of all the comments

Thanks for completely not understanding my joke.

Right over my head.......................

You thought I was being serious? I like yathzee like most people here do. I was just joking about the fact that he called people who make comments, vidoe, articles, or anything really, and idiot because they think people care about their opinions, which included himself. I'd say he knew this, and probably said that for irony. I wasn't tring to offend anyone, appearently Fanboys take anything to an offense.

No need for the insult, I was half joking myself.

And here I thought we aren't being serious. But no, take the joke and turn it into me getting "offended" so you can feel better about yourself.

General Vagueness:

Snowalker:

General Vagueness:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

No.

Why?

It's closer to a full game than an expansion and anyway he reviewed FEAR: Perseus Mandate which he said right in the beginning of the review was an expansion.

Hmm, you have a fine point, well, your second point anyway, your frist is debateable.

I think you might wanna watch his review of Halo 3, you'll find he didn't really like it. So unless the escapist makes him review, he probably won't because he probably won't even play the game itself.

"No other medium does this. It'd be like reading a novel, and every few pages there's a crossword you can do, or there's a little short story booklet stapled to the page that says "YOU CAN READ THIS IF YOU WANT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO! IT'S YOUR CHOICE!" And if you read that then it doesn't affect the story but the rest of the pages become slightly easier to turn."

I love this part...

Anyway, the problem that Yahtzee has with Scribblenauts is that the devs didn't really answer two key questions: Who are we designing the game for, and what are we trying to make them experience?

Yahtzee Croshaw:
The world is full of idiots. Forgive me for the redundancy of that statement, because if you're reading this you must be on the internet, and are well aware that you could enter communication with an idiot within two clicks of the mouse. Or even faster if you have a mirror on hand. Yes, you see, I'm saying you're an idiot, too. I felt I should make that clearer because you're an idiot.

I dont know who are the biggest idiots, you or us. You because you're calling idiots those who come a watch your videos or read your articles and therefore pay your salary or we because we keep coming back after being called idiots, well i know i won't anymore.

Yes, scribblenauts and all games that let you create your own levels or gameplay is bounded to the developer's imagination but is also bounded to the players imagination depending on wich one is the smallest and you proved yours smaller for what you said in your review.

You're not any better than anyone, i dont see you writing, painting or sculpting a masterpiece your just a piece in the system you trashtalk so much. Your just a guy that get payed for playing games and writing and drawing jokes about them but insulting your watchers as crossed the line for me. I can see that the greatness sense has reach you.

I want to know where's Yahtzee's suspension for the uncalled insults. I guess there isn't going to be any, the hypocrisy.

Edit: You call out people for playing open games instead of playing games design by profesionals but you called them out too when this people design levels that are like those designed by the profesionals.

Im trying to think of a case where being able to create your own level and gaming experience kind of worked.. Far Cry 2 kind of did a good job. Had a brilliant level editor, the only problem i found was that all the genuily good user created levels were being pushed away by remakes of other game's levels (Cod4 backlot remake for example) and real life or famous fictional places (Paris, helms deep, That star trek ship).

I liek it when the professionals make the stuff, that way, i know its good.

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:
But wait, Dear Yathzee, by making these videos and articles, does that not make you an idiot too? Your assuming that people are interested in your thoughts aswell, just like the idiots you mentioned.'

I'd bet that more people care about what Yahzee thinks than what you think. Judging from the fact that he gets paid for his opinion and because of all the comments

You thought I was being serious? I like yathzee like most people here do. I was just joking about the fact that he called people who make comments, vidoe, articles, or anything really, and idiot because they think people care about their opinions, which included himself. I'd say he knew this, and probably said that for irony. I wasn't tring to offend anyone, appearently Fanboys take anything to an offense.

And here I thought we aren't being serious. But no, take the joke and turn it into me getting "offended" so you can feel better about yourself.

Ok, Ok, sorry for the insult. I've been in like 5 arguements this morning, so I'm kinda on edge. I didn't realize you were joking, so I assumed you were offended. I sure wish Internet had a tone of voice, these kinda of arguements could be easily avoided.

I never got why everyone is so convinced that the world is full of idiots.(Go ahead, tell me it's because I'm an idiot, it'll be very clever)

The_root_of_all_evil:
But doesn't this mean Yahtzee, that you're an idiot as well?

But that's the thing he IS calling himself an idiot, and he knows he is. It's like he said, Games are meant to entertain us we shouldn't be playing games to entertain ourselves by creating idiotic stages or conjuring different methods to go through a linear story line.

The moment we attempt to entertain ourselves through a video game we have proven ourselves to be idiots.

I've never played any game in which I believed I would have to entertain myself within the video game that should be entertaining me.

Meaning I've never played... Sims, This game, LBP, or any game in which I believe content is left out for the "player's" creativity unless it's appropriate. (like City of Heroes)

Another great way to tell if your an idiot and probably the most effective method, is to ask yourself these five questions.

1) Have I ever bleeped myself out ont he internet? (saying d*ck instead of dick.)

2) Have you ever been to ANY of the chans? (4chan, 7chan, etc)

3) Have you ever used any of the 'internet lingo', 'netspeak', or 'Memes' to either come across as a sarcastic prick, to seem intelligent, or to gain favor and respect from all your 'pixel buddies' all over the internet? (Tl;DR, cool story bro, etc)

4) Do you normally point out people's flaws in their post structure, grammar, or content instead of staying on topic or addressing what the person is trying to say? (Destrin would be a perfect example.)

5) Have you ever been called a Troll, or argued with a troll?

Answering yes to 2/5 makes you an idiot. Which yes, I am an idiot as well. I'm on the internet aren't I?

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Ok, Ok, sorry for the insult. I've been in like 5 arguements this morning, so I'm kinda on edge. I didn't realize you were joking, so I assumed you were offended. I sure wish Internet had a tone of voice, these kinda of arguements could be easily avoided.

LoL I hear you. So hard to tell.

Having a bad day?

I hate to nitpick...but is it not Zero punctuation...?

Well, there's Zero Punctuation, and then there's Extra Punctuation.

OT: No, I usually remain calm in my responses. At least the first ones, anyways.

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

Dark Templar:

Snowalker:

LoL I hear you. So hard to tell.

Having a bad day?

I was, but the closer it gets to the evening, the better its getting. Thanks for asking.

Whut? My brain couldn't register what the point of this forum is. *Quiet fool! Say something clever and i'll release some endorphins!* Okay brain. The balance of eqations in chemistry is how many groups of atoms need to create the required amount to complete the end result of the formulae

Moccamonster:
Great article, as always, but I'm actually surprised you laughed at someone requesting a review for ODST.

That's because HALO ODST is the Porsche 911 of video games. It just a copy of HALO 3 w/ a diff. box. I mean, it even comes with the HALO 3 multiplayer. They should have called it HALO 3: Revisited.

how about some punctuation?

Oliver90909:
I hate to nitpick...but is it not Zero punctuation...?

Zero Punctuation is the videos, Extra Punctuation is his column. (surely "ZP Grammar Check" would be more sensible? anyway..)

I do like the column, I just wish Yahtzee would decide whether it should be a serious column about the state of the industry or a jokey column in the style of the videos.

Snowalker:

General Vagueness:

Snowalker:

General Vagueness:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

No.

Why?

because ODST is really just an expansion, not a full game, and Yahtzee only reviews full games.

Hmm, you have a fine point, well, your second point anyway, your first is debatable.

I think you might wanna watch his review of Halo 3, you'll find he didn't really like it. So unless the escapist makes him review, he probably won't because he probably won't even play the game itself.

I thought it was implied pretty well by that I've seen all his reviews. I have a playlist that goes through all of them at random that I have running most of the time on my laptop. I like Yahtzee, I like his reviews, I respect his opinion, but I don't always understand where he's coming from (especially when he switches accents). As for not playing it at all, I think that would be a shame-- I'm sure there's something he'd like and plenty of things he could humorously bash. Oh, and the whole idiot thing? It seems a little cheap and gimmicky to me-- I figured out a long time ago most people are idiots, but there wasn't any real need IMHO to put it like that. I think it was put much better in his Braid review. Anyway I think that's enough talking about someone I don't even actually know, I'll just wait and see what goodness is churned out next.

Clyde:
It's ironic that he uses nongame and culture BS, calls everyone an idiot and yet isn't seen as a troll.

that's a great way of describing him in this article.

I felt that way myself. I was pretty insulted by that generalization Yahtzee threw at me. I'm crazy,not stupid. You can call me a lunatic,i'm fine with that. But i am not,by any means,idiot.

And yes,writing somehow feels more personal than voiceover.

I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to review Minecraft then, besides the fact that it's in alpha. Great as always.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Although there is one simple question that can easily determine whether a level is good:

Q. Was this level designed by someone who is employed professionally as a games designer or in another relevant creative industry?

If no, fuck it.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there mostly because you're factually provably wrong.

While undoubtedly most of the time professional level designers are better at it than amateur level designers the key expression here is "most of the time".

See, like everything in life, professionals generally are better than other people because, and at the risk of sounding reductionist, they practice more. They have more experience. In the same manner that one bloke that plays football everyday for 10 years will generally be better than one that only plays on weekends. And that's when other variables come in. What is the learning capacity of each bloke? What is each bloke's dedication towards football? What is each bloke's inherent skill at football?

Same thing applies to game and level designers, and everything else really. A "professional" level designer is merely someone who does that for a living. Not some godly messiah that knows every answer to every question regarding level design. Hell, there are very good examples very easy to find: Valve.

No, no, no. Valve is not a bad company, nor are their level designers bad. But Valve banks a lot on user created content. Which pays off when some definite gems surface. TF2 currently runs several "official" maps that are user created, by normal, non-professional level-designing users, and were bought and given the rank of "Honorary official map" due to their high standards. A lot of custom maps on Valve games have equally high, or in some rare cases higher, quality than the official ones. tc_meridian, ctf_haarp, cp_furnace...

Are custom maps always good? Fuck no. But the logic that "if it's not professional it's bad" is negated by the sheer way a lot of people turn professional: by proving they're good.

General Vagueness:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

No.

Why?

He already done a review of it, look in archives under halo 3 and halo wars combine the two where it is appropriate add a bit from another review of him saying "bugger all" and "changed". Actually think he or someone else should just do that. Hell make a contest out of it winner gets it played in all it's glory and yz gets a week off :)

However I'm surprised no one commented saying there are no non-linear stories? As while not always the case as all depends on DM and players you have but DnD is about as non-linear stories can get as no one know how a game will end. But such games are rare even for DnD but they do exist.

edit:- forgot quote

"No other medium does this. It'd be like reading a novel, and every few pages there's a crossword you can do, or there's a little short story booklet stapled to the page that says 'YOU CAN READ THIS IF YOU WANT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO! IT'S YOUR CHOICE!' "

Let's see, we have paperback versions of books with extra stuff added onto them, the Watchmen comic book with optional interludes, CD rereleases with bonus tracks tacked onto the end or right in the middle of the run, documentaries and deleted scenes on DVDs, and webisodes for long running TV shows. Is there medium I'm missing that doesn't have optional extra side stuff? Oh, and credit cookies on the end of theatrical showings of movies.

I usually take comments a bit too seriously. I rarely take them as a joke, and can get quite annoyed by some of them.

I tend not to overreact to them though. Generally if I actually lose my temper about it, I consider it justified.

Zombie Nixon:
I never got why everyone is so convinced that the world is full of idiots.(Go ahead, tell me it's because I'm an idiot, it'll be very clever)

See it's not that the World is full of idiots. It's just PEOPLE, are idiots.

An individual, a Person has the potential to be creative, intelligent and a fully functional human being capable of amazing things.

However People, groups of individuals sacrifice their individuality for a pack mentality and thus we have idiots.

If anyone cares to disprove what I just said, explain the "Mass Hysteria" phenomenon and I'll listen.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here