The Escapist Presents: Third Annual The Escapist Film Festival - updated 12/11/09

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Third Annual The Escapist Film Festival

Sit in on the planning meeting for The Third Annual The Escapist Film Festival and see what you can and cannot submit to win a contract with The Escapist.

Check the Film Festival Page for more details, and submission instructions.

Watch Video

UPDATE: When loading your video, you have not submitted correctly until you see this message: "Thank you! Your video has been submitted! Once the site staff have approved your video, it will appear in our video gallery."

Excellent. I hope we get something as good as Unskippable and Doomsday Arcade again!

Though I doubt I'll participate; my cinematographic skills are somewhat lacking.

Diagonal Horizontality:
Excellent. I hope we get something as good as Unskippable and Doomsday Arcade again!

Though I doubt I'll participate; my cinematographic skills are somewhat lacking.

Same here. I think I'd be good in front of a camera, but not behind the scenes. This seems like a cool contest as well.

Hmm... I have an idea for a video. If you win, would it need to become a series?

It's already that time again?

Alright. Let's get to work, folks! I need a gaffer, composer, and lead actor STAT!

I have an idea but it may get me jail time..... XP

This should be good.

Awesome! Can't wait to see what will be made.

Flying-Emu:

Alright. Let's get to work, folks! I need a gaffer, composer, and lead actor STAT!

What's your idea? I might be interested.

RebelRising:

Flying-Emu:

You're trying to trick me to give you my idea so you can steal it!

I'M ON TO YOU!

But seriously, I've already got a crew.

Flying-Emu:

RebelRising:

Flying-Emu:

You're trying to trick me to give you my idea so you can steal it!

I'M ON TO YOU!

But seriously, I've already got a crew.

Oh, that's fine, then. Good luck with it.

Awesome! So, last year's big winners were Unskippable and Doomsday Arcade but I'm wondering who won the first Film Festival?

Btw, we're still waiting for the announcement of last month's t-shirt competition ;)

Magnatek:

Diagonal Horizontality:

Same here. I think I'd be good in front of a camera, but not behind the scenes. This seems like a cool contest as well.

Then we should team up! I'm awesome with the camera, but not so in front of it.

Playbahnosh:

Magnatek:

Diagonal Horizontality:

Then we should team up! I'm awesome with the camera, but not so in front of it.

That would work, if we were in the same country. I'm in the US, while you are in Hungary, according to your profile. You didn't lie in your profile, did you?

Sweet!!! I was not around last year to see all the entries so I'm very excited to see what people come up with. Good luck to everyone!!

How many entries were there last year?
Is there a page somewhere to view them?

And to answer your question Spinwhiz: HELLS YEAH!!

JRCB:
Hmm... I have an idea for a video. If you win, would it need to become a series?

Well, if you win we would want to show more of your work because that would mean you are pretty awesome. :)

I can't wait to see the entries for this year after last year's top-notch winning entries...

A wizard has turned you into a whale. Is this awesome (Y/N)?

I love that shirt.

I have to ask; why is this necessary when people such as Robert Moran, Jon Ethridge, Bob Chipman, Matthew Mercer, Rebecca Mayes and Benjamin Croshaw all got video sections without entering a contest.

Souplex:
I have to ask; why is this necessary when people such as Robert Moran, John Ethridge, Bob Chipman, Matthew Mercer, Rebecca Mayes and Benjamin Croshaw all got video sections without entering a contest.

Because without it, we might not have the awesomeness that is Unskippable or Doomsday Arcade.

Creating opportunities for people to be discovered is never a bad idea.

huh, i thought it had allready been here, figured thats how jon etheridge got the contract, also its kinda discouraging knowing you have to be as good as the feature content on this site.

Susan Arendt:

Souplex:
I have to ask; why is this necessary when people such as Robert Moran, John Ethridge, Bob Chipman, Matthew Mercer, Rebecca Mayes and Benjamin Croshaw all got video sections without entering a contest.

Because without it, we might not have the awesomeness that is Unskippable or Doomsday Arcade.

Creating opportunities for people to be discovered is never a bad idea.

Also, it's not like we sit around all year, waiting for the Film Festival to pick up new shows. Sometimes quality videos are uncovered by simply looking.

If you want to make an awesome video because you think it has potential to become a series on The Escapist, just go ahead and make it - any time of year. The videos made by passionate people who don't need baiting with prizes are often of spectacular quality.

swaki:
huh, i thought it had allready been here, figured thats how jon etheridge got the contract, also its kinda discouraging knowing you have to be as good as the feature content on this site.

Actually, believe it or not, Jon walked right into our offices with a video series concept and started making Apocalypse Lane for us about five days later. That was a first-of-its-kind event, but it did happen.

We find folks in a variety of different ways, but we've found that the Film Festival encourages people to show us their stuff who might not have considered doing so otherwise. Plus it's a fun event and we like it.

I wouldn't let yourself be intimidated by the quality of our regular content. If you have a video idea, shoot it and send it in. A lot of what we do in the video department is help our video creators make better shows. Sometimes the best stuff has humble beginnings. ;)

I know that stealing is WRONG, SIR, WRONG and that copyrighted material is out.

But what about using material that's legal to include in another work under Fair Use guidelines? i.e. not ripping of someone else's work, but rather using it for the purposes of review and/or critique, along the lines of Zero Punctuation or Escape to the Movies.

Hah! Babies on spikes, classic Eddie Izzard :) I wanna make a short film now.

Hell yes! Finally!

Last year, we got some fantastic entries! I literally can't wait to see what we'll get this year!

Paendorrah:
Hah! Babies on spikes, classic Eddie Izzard :) I wanna make a short film now.

Yay, someone got the reference! :)

BlueInkAlchemist:
But what about using material that's legal to include in another work under Fair Use guidelines? i.e. not ripping of someone else's work, but rather using it for the purposes of review and/or critique, along the lines of Zero Punctuation or Escape to the Movies.

If it's legal, it's fine. Claiming some other person's work as your own is bad, reviewing or parodying their work for entertainment purposes is perfectly fine.

Kross:

If it's legal, it's fine. Claiming some other person's work as your own is bad, reviewing or parodying their work for entertainment purposes is perfectly fine.

Thank you, and thanks for the motivation for me to finally get off my behind on a project I've been brewing for a while now. :)

Susan Arendt:

Yay, someone got the reference! :)

Rack of baby, ma'am?

Can I vote for that video to win? It made my day.

Jon Etheridge:
Sweet!!! I was not around last year to see all the entries so I'm very excited to see what people come up with. Good luck to everyone!!

Same here, I actually joined a few weeks after it ended I believe, or round about then. Still, I can enter this year since I'm involved in a film making society at university, so we can try and come up with something together if I raise the idea at the next meeting. We're working on two projects already at the moment but since they'll hopefully be finished within the next six weeks, this is the perfect idea for a new project after that :D

Hmm... I'm curious to see what turns up this year. Last year's results were quite amusing...

Incedentally, you people are quite demented.
I mean that in a good way, I really do, but still...

If only I had the equipment necessary to film... anything. Let's hope we see some things as awesome as Doomsday Arcade and Unskippable.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here