Review: Brutal Legend

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I know its nothing like it (or maybe it is?) but this game just reminds me of Overlord... Maybe its just the over the top characters.

At first I was skeptical, now I am sure, I will be playing this game.

The demo is great and the multiplayer looks like a lot of fun.
I'm sold, but I'm still renting first.
Just in case.

METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

Even though this game looks awesome, my dollars this week have to be thrown at Uncharted. I love me some Tim Schafer but I know I am going to enjoy Uncharted more.

I can see why "über-underground" metalheads are against this, but there's a reason they have no friends.

This looks like a ton of stupid fun that a metalhead like myself can easily enjoy. Plus any game with Dark Tranquillity's "Cathode Ray Sunshine" is destined for epic.

It has MIRRORTHRONE in it's soundtrack.I was sceptical at first as to whether or not the game would actually be aimed at genuine metalheads or if it had any variety within Metal for soundtrack..but that all went away when I read that MIRRORTHRONE are in it's soundtrack.

Gameplay looks fun too..

It comes out on Friday...and I cant buy it because i'm broke...pah.

(my last EDIT)
Have it pre-ordered, just waiting to get out of class >.<

And its out today (at least in America...).

therandombear:

Russ Pitts:

BaldursBananaSoap:
Any idea how long it's to last? This game looks amazing but I don't want another six hour game that lasts me two days. Although it does have collectables and multiplayer.

Ahhhhhhhh screw it, I'm buying it. I'll probably play through it multiple times anyway.

At the time of writing I had played for 9 hours and was just over 50% complete. I dilly dally a lot though, so the game's story is probably about 12-15 hours long. I will most likely get 20+ hours out of it. Not bad.

Kinda like Fallout 3 then. My friend was done in a day or so he just ran from point A to point B. I used like 2 weeks I think, exploring, finding awesome loot and quests. For me it was point A interchange with point X then to point Q and so on.

Whaaaa....

I've been playing Fallout 3 for about5-10 hours a week for over six months now and haven't even come close to finishing (I haven't even gotten to Rivet City yet, although that's next on the agenda). In all fairness I have all five expansions, too (done Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta so far). Fallout 3 is my biggest time sink outside of MMOs right now...

As for Brutal Legend, I feel like the guy with the wicked cheese-grater shiner:
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20091005

as I have no idea where this game popped up or why I should care. But I loathe heavy metal for the most part...<wincing for next beating>

That was a solid review, and a fun video review.

This review just puts me morre off the game. Love the ending during the credits! haha

Doug:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Russ Pitts:

Brutal Legend is f*&#ing metal. (That's a good thing.)

Is that why the Escapist's date is now "Rocktober"? :)

I see what you did there.

Oh sweet tap-dancing jesus, I hadn't noticed. BUT ITS AWESOME!

Same, but I like it. Fuck that, I love it! Can we make this permanent? :P

Eddie Riggs is a DND3E bard!

Seems now like I'm getting the game.

Oh, and I loved the bit at the end. You should be a heavy metal singer.

Hmm, I'm still not totally convinced. Every review seems to mention how awesome the style and the metal stuff is (which I can't deny, after seeing every bit of info I can find about Brutal Legend), but the gameplay itself looks shallow, both the combat and the rts-part. And the demo doesn't help either, since you can't judge a game's gameplay on the first 5 minutes. So the question is: is the gameplay shallow but is it irrelevant because of the awesomeness of everything else, or isn't it that shallow as it looks?

Now listening to Breadfan by the way. Great song, don't have a clue how I missed that one.

I'm not into metal, but considering what happened to Psychonauts, I might get it to support creative game designers (plus it might be fun).

oppp7:
I'm not into metal, but considering what happened to Psychonauts, I might get it to support creative game designers (plus it might be fun).

this, and even if the gameplay is shallow, the storytelling will be rich and incredibly enjoyable. i'm getting a 360 only so that I can play this game

also MEHTAAAALLLLL EEEYAAAAEEEEYAAAEEEYEEAAAAH

Wow, this looks like mindless fun. Gotta check it out.

I'll do everything in my power to support Tim Schafer. Picking this up after work!

There is something very special about working for an Editor in Chief who screams "METALLLLLLLLLLL!" in a review. Yes.

Undead Dragon King:
Great Review. Not too interested in this myself but some of my metal friends must be messing themselves and missing class as I speak. They've waited a LONG time for this.

^_^ And Ozzy would be a PvP Title.
Gotta love a FRBR game (for rockers by rockers).

I made sure that it was the first and ONLY game available in my gamefly queue, and it was mailed this morning. I should have it in my position on the same day as my last midterm. Win.

I'm going to celebrate Rocktober 13th for the rest of my life!

PlasticTree:
Hmm, I'm still not totally convinced. Every review seems to mention how awesome the style and the metal stuff is (which I can't deny, after seeing every bit of info I can find about Brutal Legend), but the gameplay itself looks shallow, both the combat and the rts-part. And the demo doesn't help either, since you can't judge a game's gameplay on the first 5 minutes. So the question is: is the gameplay shallow but is it irrelevant because of the awesomeness of everything else, or isn't it that shallow as it looks?

Now listening to Breadfan by the way. Great song, don't have a clue how I missed that one.

From what I saw while putting the review video together, it's no more shallow then swinging a sword was in Zelda. Sure, you have hit buttons to see your character swing melee weapons X into bad guy Y, but it's the setting and environment are what are really make it a fun experience.

Russ Pitts:
Review: Brutal Legend

Read Full Article

I think I just wet myself a little.

Your review only JUST trumps this kid, though. I have no idea who of you to listen to!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqCWSeUBws if the thing won't load.

Slycne:

PlasticTree:

From what I saw while putting the review video together, it's no more shallow then swinging a sword was in Zelda. Sure, you have hit buttons to see your character swing melee weapons X into bad guy Y, but it's the setting and environment are what are really make it a fun experience.

But in Zelda the combat is only a distraction from the main experience. When I see videos of Brutal Legend it's 50% juicy metalawesomeness, and 50% combat. And in Zelda the setting and environment are integrated in the gameplay: the puzzles, the struggle to overcome a dungeon, for example.

I'll probably still buy it later this year. Maybe not now, but there is no way that I'll be able to resist this one when it's cheaper (and the competition lower). But I still wonder why all those gamereviewers seem to overlook the whole gameplay issue. Ah well, they're either blinded by their metalfanboyism, or the setting and environment totally overrule any 'average' gameplay elements.

Guess I'll have to pay the store a visit in the morning after all. ;)

Vanguard_Ex:

Doug:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Russ Pitts:

I like it too. Russ, can we, pleeeeeeease?

PlasticTree:

Slycne:

PlasticTree:

But in Zelda the combat is only a distraction from the main experience. When I see videos of Brutal Legend it's 50% juicy metalawesomeness, and 50% combat. And in Zelda the setting and environment are integrated in the gameplay: the puzzles, the struggle to overcome a dungeon, for example.

I'll probably still buy it later this year. Maybe not now, but there is no way that I'll be able to resist this one when it's cheaper (and the competition lower). But I still wonder why all those gamereviewers seem to overlook the whole gameplay issue. Ah well, they're either blinded by their metalfanboyism, or the setting and environment totally overrule any 'average' gameplay elements.

I think you can ultimately say of any game "all you do is ...." I mean, at the end of the day, playing any game all you do is stare at the screen and press buttons in a carefully orchestrated sequence in order to make shit happen on-screen. The deciding factor should be whether or not the experience is enjoyable. And that is determined by the confluence of things like art, story, music and how well the gameplay mechanics are integrated into the whole.

Doug:

Vanguard_Ex:

Doug:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Russ Pitts:

Puppy dog Eyes Pictures, Images and Photos

Nerdfury:

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqCWSeUBws if the thing won't load.

Youtube embedding follows the format "< youtube=StringOfCharacters>" and doesn't require termination.

OT:
I wasn't quite sold on it until I saw the game in action. Yeah, it's basically a Zelda game. A multi-platform Zelda game with laser panthers and an awesome soundtrack. Laser Panthers! Meeeettaaaaaalll!

Russ Pitts:

PlasticTree:

I think you can ultimately say of any game "all you do is ...." I mean, at the end of the day, playing any game all you do is stare at the screen and press buttons in a carefully orchestrated sequence in order to make shit happen on-screen. The deciding factor should be whether or not the experience is enjoyable. And that is determined by the confluence of things like art, story, music and how well the gameplay mechanics are integrated into the whole.

Absolutely, if good games weren't more than 'the sum of all parts' I wouldn't be playing them. I've already decided to buy Brutal Legend as soon as I can (Dragon Age isn't coming out this month anyway), but in this case most reviewers seem to have forgotten to tell us why, exactly, the sum is more than the parts. The great experience that Brutal Legends seems to provide makes a detail like shallow combat irrelevant, but that doesn't mean I don't want to hear about it.

Russ Pitts:
Snip - quoted for attention ;)

Vanguard_Ex:

Doug:

Vanguard_Ex:

Doug:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Russ Pitts:

Puppy dog Eyes Pictures, Images and Photos

Man, who can resist the power of the puppy?

I tell you what, we'll consider keeping the Rocktober thing on the site and - OH LOOK! Bunnies!

Russ Pitts:
Man, who can resist the power of the puppy?

I tell you what, we'll consider keeping the Rocktober thing on the site and - OH LOOK! Bunnies!

Yay! And bunnys! And ROCK! Can this month get any better?

That video... is it just me, or do the worlds look a little like "if World of Warcraft was invaded by the Metal Gods"?

Fucking awesome. I didn't realize the game had that much depth. Can't wait to get it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here