Review: Brutal Legend

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

I can die happy now.

If someone were to somehow get them to put it on the P.C. that person would attain the rank of Lews Therin's Best Ever Friend.

I'll confess, I wasn't going to buy this, but now, I feel like I need to.

Artemus_Cain:
I can see why "über-underground" metalheads are against this, but there's a reason they have no friends.

This looks like a ton of stupid fun that a metalhead like myself can easily enjoy. Plus any game with Dark Tranquillity's "Cathode Ray Sunshine" is destined for epic.

Don't forget Deathstars and In Flames :o

I'm surprised no one's drawn any parallels between this game and No More Heroes yet. Similar absurd, lampshading and satirical styles, tastefully overdone visual style, a monster vehicle you drive around a sandbox map, and gratuitous violence with silly weapons and equally silly opponents. I loved No More Heroes despite its gameplay flaws, and I'm sure i'd like this.

I'm a bit of a niche metal fan myself, more into prog/alt/cyber/symphonic metal than thrash or the regular sort. But I still appreciate that sort of metal. I'd like to pick this up but unfortunately i don't have a ps3 or 360. Here's to hoping for a console port.

I'm still wondering if I'll enjoy this or not, I'm not massively into metal though I do like bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin and motorhead, but I guess there more hard rock then metal. Still I liked the humour of the demo and I've always loved the artwork on metal albums even if I dislike the music so who knows.

Now if they just make a sequel based in the world of Rock N Roll or Punk.

I am not going to get this game, and I think I might be the only one. I love metal, but I'm not excited to play a fantasy third person action game has a metal skin over it. The music will be awesome, but I play my own music when I play other games anyways. Maybe I'm just over third person action games.

This post is not to say that I don't understand why others are excited. Just to share that I, for one, am not.

BY THE GOOD GODS YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless of my predispotion towards metal, this will still make it onto my game shelf. Fore the sole reason of a guitar riff bringing lightning down to the earth. It really makes me wonder how this was not already done before. Though in honesty this makes me rather sad, for it will be a dark day when a Hip-Hop game/parody/celebration will come along. Mostly due to the Gangsta image most rappers have to keep active in order to keep eating.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

Such hype for such a lame game. Everyone and their child wants it because it has Jack Black who all he does is act randomly and somehow becomes a god.

I must own this game.

Soon my pretty, soon....

Ice Storm:
Such hype for such a lame game. Everyone and their child wants it because it has Jack Black who all he does is act randomly and somehow becomes a god.

I would guess that 99% of the people here we sold on metal-themed world and Tim Schafer long before Jack Black was attached to the project. If you can't see that there is more to it than Jack Black, that's your loss.

This Game rock full hard!!!

METAL!!!!!!

Ah geez the map looks just like "Serpents Passage" in Warhammer Online... ahem *Serpents Passage* which looks just like a woman's spread eagle pelvis... get it?

One more reason I'm leery about this one.

The game in general looks like an MMORPG without the MMO, which makes me wince, but if the RTS-lite elements in multiplayer are good I still might go for it. Guess I'll wait for some YouTube gameplay vids.

I picked the game up today, and I can verify that it is indeed awesome. The environments actually look quite a bit nicer than what was shown in the review video, from what I've seen thus far. I'm kind of surprised that the reviewer neglected to mention that you can fully customize the playlist when you're running people down in the Deuce. So anyone who is enamored with Tim Schafer/Double Fine/Jack Black/Funny games that play well can turn off some of the more annoying songs, or even all of them, if they see fit.

This-is-Hip-Hop:
Regardless of my predispotion towards metal, this will still make it onto my game shelf. Fore the sole reason of a guitar riff bringing lightning down to the earth. It really makes me wonder how this was not already done before.

Not to turn you off the game, which you should totally get (Melting faces never gets old) but a lightning guitar has been done before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oskw8aGIFk0

CaptainCrunch:

Nerdfury:

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqCWSeUBws if the thing won't load.

Youtube embedding follows the format "< youtube=StringOfCharacters>" and doesn't require termination.

OT:
I wasn't quite sold on it until I saw the game in action. Yeah, it's basically a Zelda game. A multi-platform Zelda game with laser panthers and an awesome soundtrack. Laser Panthers! Meeeettaaaaaalll!

Thankyou, Captain! You're such a nice fellow!

Russ Pitts:
Love your metal avatar!

Would it be a spoiler if I were to divulge whether or not there are creatures in this game that shoot lasers from their eyes?

Thanks man! For the price of a few seconds with a camera, then a few seconds with Photoshop/Gimp/etc you too can have one!

Kinda would, but I'd wager a guess to the positive either way. It -is- a Metal game after all.

I picked it up today and i've been playing it. I got to admit, at first I thought it SUCKED SUCKED HARD. The combat was choppy, eddy always seemed to fucking BOB even when standing still, the control felt wonky. The initial level, the startup, is shit. Unimpressive. You gotta play in an hour or two, then the combat suddenly Gel's, you realize how to do the things the game doesn't explain (Hint: Relic Raise everything with roses, hold X (or whatever your guitar button is) to free the bound dragon statues, and click the left stick to run.

After you get the Mouth of Metal and your first few upgrades and really get into the open world, the game just opens up to you. It get's addictive. Just one more mission, some bitchen tunes... oh, and the acting? The acting is awesome. And the writing is awesome. Seriously, seriously awesome.

Just give it an hour before you decied you hate it, I swear.

I would have bought it anyway so I just read the review for giggles.

I hope that the game includes "Ram It Down".

Surprising. I was expecting this game to be horrible, what with all the hype.

this game is awsome i played the demo on brutal about 30 times

Sigh i want a PC version.

I know I tend to go on for pages at a time normally so, I'll just say.

Hey, someone bothered to make a game that looks FUN above all else, I hope it does real well!

Wow. I was sceptical about this, but now..This looks gloriously kitsch. I need it.

Wow, I just found out it was designed by Tim Schafer. THE Tim Schafer! Now I can't wait...

Wait, no PC version? FFFFFFUUUUUU-

I got it in the mail today, and I have to say....

HELLLLLLLL YEAH!

Think a mix of GTA's open world with a handful of RTS and RPG elements. AND TIM-FUCKING-SCHAFER! Its theme world from the grin-on-the-face opening to the game itself.

Remember... ROCK ON! :)

mad-brad-123:
this game is awsome i played the demo on brutal about 30 times

And the demo is pretty poor at showing the greatness of the game!

TsunamiWombat:
(Hint: Relic Raise everything with roses, hold X (or whatever your guitar button is) to free the bound dragon statues, and click the left stick to run.

The manual tells you how to do all that stuff.

Am I the only one who is NOT interested at all in this game, despite being an avid metalhead?

Liked the voice you did at the end.

The guy speaking sounds like a telemarketer

"Hello, is the owner of the house in?"

MurderousToaster:
The guy speaking sounds like a telemarketer

"Hello, is the owner of the house in?"

Hello, I'm the Editor-in-Chief of this website! Nice to meet you.

Unlike a lot of folks who do game-related podcasts and videos, I actually have professional vocal training, which might be what makes my voice sound odd to you, if you're used to listening to stuff on other sites ;)

Or it's possible I was channeling my inner cable TV salesperson for this video. That's always a distinct possibility.

Wanna buy some cable TV?

Gonna buy this along with Assassin's Creed 2, COD Modern Warfare 2 and Smackdown vs RAW! 2010.

I've got a pretty broad gaming palette, apparently.

Fantastic game...didn't learn how to open Serpents until after I'd passed over 40 of them, though.

Russ Pitts:
[quote="BaldursBananaSoap" post="6.149099.3479797"]At the time of writing I had played for 9 hours and was just over 50% complete. I dilly dally a lot though, so the game's story is probably about 12-15 hours long. I will most likely get 20+ hours out of it. Not bad.

Giantbomb is claiming its like 4 hours...how much dilly-dallying do you do?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 50918)