Pocket Gaming Snacks

Pocket Gaming Snacks

Enough with the canapes, bring on the pocket gaming steak!

Read Full Article

"Snackable gaming"? YEEUGH. What a hideously repulsive term.

Great, just what we needed, another atrocious label to be slapped onto gamers in the never-ending e-peen waving cycle of "casual" vs. "hardcore", to be uttered by people who have no clue as to the definition.

I've enjoyed both long-term intensive RPGs on my DS, as well as games which have briefer challenges--but those that do tend to have brief but fulfilling challenges that if you have time, you can do 50, but if you don't have time, you can do one or two and get a little gamer fix in. In other words, "snacks" can still be nutritious and satisfying.

I appreciate and agree with the sentiment that games--handheld or otherwise--should have a longlasting appeal, and that complex games with longer challenges should not be kept away from handheld gaming platforms.

BUT

Games for handheld devices need to stay "portable friendly." One of the points of handhelds is that you can take and play them everywhere, when you don't have time or the opportunity to play on standard systems---and part of that convenience is being able to stop when you have to. For example, I like to take my DS with me for playing while I commute to work; I get a gaming fix in, but I have to stop playing when the bus gets to work, whether I like it or not. It really irks the hell out of me when a DS game doesn't have a "quick save" or similar feature so I can get out of the game quickly. Sure you can close to suspend the game, but that drains the battery. Game designers have to remember that one of the great advantages of portable game systems are the convenience they provide; if they make the game inconvenient to the handheld gamer, they've entirely missed the point.

I'm NOT saying that game challenges should be kept to the length of a commute to work, but handheld games that do offer lengthier challenges or time-investing storylines still need to be designed with portable play in mind, and part of that means providing an ability to get out of the game quickly (even if you could keep going for hours if you wanted).

And at the same time, for those who use handhelds as a "snack between meals" I don't think there's anything really wrong with that, and I don't think it's a great detriment to gamer culture.

The new Kingdom Hearts is snackable gaming with a broad overarching story. It just has smaller missions that keep things quick, which make it able to play a quick game on a bus or during a ten minute wait. Yet it also can easily be enjoyed for long periods. Steak bites, essentially.

Does anyone else see the description for this on the front page the same as the one for the end of the L4D2 boycott?
OT: I prefer handhelds to consoles now anyways, so I'm ok with that trend.

Yeah I see what they mean, but it's better for you to eat three square (gaming) meals a day then to live off snacks.

Strategia:

I wholeheartedly agree.

I have very fond memories of having hours to kill and being able to pull out a game and 'productively' use the time instead of something silly like watching clouds. But I like RPG type games with long involved stories and fights. Game McNuggets aren't nearly as appealing.

Strategia:

Agreed. I'm definitely hoping that this term doesn't take over the term "casual gaming".

OT: I'm glad that I'm not on this casual gaming roller coaster. Sure the game I'm playing most right now is Restaurant City on Facebook, a casual game if ever there was one, but most of the games in my possession are games that require an hour or so per session and that's the way I like it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here