The Escapist Presents: Escapist Report: AI Innovation

Pages PREV 1 2

This is an interesting direction for AI that might prove to be very fruitful for gaming. It's almost like it's remaking a Game Master (GM) in video games that can quickly change how NPCs work "on the fly", like a typical D&D game.

In other ways, this also reminds me a lot of how some brilliantly made roguelike games work. Maybe I'm wrong about this as I haven't and (for some reason) never got "Dwarf Fortress" to work here, but from what I read I was impressed with how unique of a world it can craft.

Some interesting thoughts here and something I would really like to see in video games more.

Voltano:

In other ways, this also reminds me a lot of how some brilliantly made roguelike games work. Maybe I'm wrong about this as I haven't and (for some reason) never got "Dwarf Fortress" to work here, but from what I read I was impressed with how unique of a world it can craft.

Dwarf Fortress has really great ambitions and the developer plans to eventually make it into a full-on randomly generated fantasy world simulator on the level of Beastmaster rather than the depth of Lord of the Rings (and might actually be able to do it with his business plan,) but it is mostly noticeable at this point for the number of deep systems which have been modeled and tied together in it.

But more on topic, AI really didn't seem to be a huge focus of the article, despite the name. That's partially because there's not really a lot to report: 20 years ago the best we had was enemies pacing back and forth (maybe moving towards the player if they were smart), now we have enemies choosing which preset area to take cover behind to shoot the enemy. The development has mostly gone towards either enemies flanking you while shooting or smarter build orders in RTSes.

But that's where the efforts yield the most results, I suppose. Attempts to make socially competent AI is laughable, if you've seen The Sims or Fable. They do well enough in the games' deeply limited context, but only that. It's a measure of how hard the problem is, not of their competence.

There is not just stupid enemies, but stupid teammates too. I find these a hundred times more annoying than stupid enemy. the worst examples of thins is when everybody has to reach the end and they get stuck on a low wall. but even the better ones seem to have no interest at all at supporting you.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here