The Pocket Gamer Report: DS and PSP Past Their Prime

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Pocket Gamer Report: DS and PSP Past Their Prime

The DS and PSP are past their peak, apparently ...

Read Full Article

I don't know. I think there is room for hardware improvement. It would be nice to have a handheld where I can't make out each individual pixel.

I could see the Iphone being more of a casual gamer's toy for the moment. But I believe that something like the Iphone will eventually sweep in and take over everything, cause it'll do everything, in a way that everyone can use it. I think it'll be internet, phone, gaming console, camera, ect. We'll carry them around and wireless control and communicate with everything, like our stove or something. And we'll have flying cars.

Which begs the question: Do we need a new generation of handheld consoles at all?

No we do not.

What a joke. The DS and the PSP past their prime time? Hello, there is still crazy demand for the DS. Hell, even PSP is selling relatively well (more than XBOX360 at any rate). The only one who can decide whether those consoles are past their prime time are the customers, not some random tosser. Seriously, what good would it do to Nintendo and Sony to abandon their high-selling consoles? The people aren't going to go all crazy to buy a DS2 or a PSP2 just because of increased graphical power.

THis guy is obviously biased in favor of the iphone. There's really no doubt about that.

The DS is right up there with the Ps2 as the highest sold game device on the market. Wtf is this guy smoking?

I know I wouldn't buy a DS2. My old DS is fine. I play handheld games for the fun, and if I want ZOMGWTF great graphics, I would just buy a new CPU for my PC.

Nimbus:
I don't know. I think there is room for hardware improvement. It would be nice to have a handheld where I can't make out each individual pixel.

Agreed, the DS at the very least needs a major hardware upgrade, I've had fun reveling in the nostalgic N64 graphics it pumps out but to be frank I'd love to see it deliver the same level of graphics the psp does.

Unfortunately while the DS is swimming, or drowning, in games galore I feel the psp hasn't tried very hard to expand its genre market. This might just be from me not really keeping up with it, but after Chains of Olympus and Daxter I wanted more psp spin-offs of console games. Sadly though the system has collected dust on my shelf since I completed both of those almost 2 years ago(could have the time frame wrong but its a very long time) mostly due to when I scan over the shelf of psp games not one interests me.

While yes, my own perceptions on what I want in a hand-held game turn me off to most titles that are considered legends for the hand-held world I still feel the industry isn't using the market to its full potential.

I play my DS everyday, it is one of my favorite systems, and I continue to buy good quality games for it. What the hell are you on about?

Wakefield:
I play my DS everyday, it is one of my favorite systems, and I continue to buy good quality games for it. What the hell are you on about?

That doesn't mean there is not major room for improvement.

Of course we need a new generation of handhelds. The DS (of 2004) can do PC graphics of circa 1998 at best. So hopefully the next gen of handhelds (2010) will be able to do PC graphics of 2004.

What was the point of writing this 8-paragraph feature? They should've just made the question into a forum thread and left it at that.

So pointless I thought i was reading The Sun for a moment there.

But to answer the question, no, there is no point in a new Nintendo handheld at least. The DS may have sold millions, but there are still plenty of pokemon and mario games to be sold before anyone gets bored. It's about the number of games that sell, not the console when you've saturated the game industry the way Nintendo have.

I like the psp its graphics are great for a handheald gaming device they can equal that of a ps2 (albiet a little less resolution) and I think the psp is finally shining 2009 was a good year for it imo and it really does seem like what sony wanted it to be: a console you can hold in your hands not just another handheald device but I think the DS is losing its charm I still play gba games though they havnt lost maybe nintendo should make a new handheald without the touch screen and like the psp focus on making it a strong console.
(sorry I am not trying to bash nintendo this is just my opinion =/)

A real hardware update WOULD be nice for the DS, the PSP doesn't really need one. In either case both still are still doing their jobs excellently.

Regardless, the Iphone worship is starting shining through once more. I look forward to the next Pocket Gamer: Why we should will all our worldly possessions to the glorious gods of Apple.

...Well fine he's actually not that bad about it this time, but you can tell it's still there.

No, we don't need a new generation yet. There's nothing wrong with this one.

What we need is a Nintendo DSi with GBA input and a PSPgo with UMD. Simple as that really. For the rest there are no real updates needed. I think that both of these consoles are top knotch and in no need of improvement. Maybe a couple of software updates or hardware updates like new cameras and displays and whatnot, but for the rest ...

Puddle Jumper:
What we need is a Nintendo DSi with GBA input and a PSPgo with UMD.

We have a PSPgo with UMD. IT'S CALLED THE REGULAR PSP.

I do agree on the DSi with GBA input though.

Georgeman:
What a joke. The DS and the PSP past their prime time? Hello, there is still crazy demand for the DS. Hell, even PSP is selling relatively well (more than XBOX360 at any rate). The only one who can decide whether those consoles are past their prime time are the customers, not some random tosser. Seriously, what good would it do to Nintendo and Sony to abandon their high-selling consoles? The people aren't going to go all crazy to buy a DS2 or a PSP2 just because of increased graphical power.

Pendragon9:
THis guy is obviously biased in favor of the iphone. There's really no doubt about that.

The DS is right up there with the Ps2 as the highest sold game device on the market. Wtf is this guy smoking?

Did... did either of you actually read the article beyond the title? I'm just saying, it concludes that the PSP and DS have a lot of spunk left.

That being said, I thoroughly disapprove of the DSi. If I'm going to buy a new handheld, I want to play my twenty or so GBA games on it. I don't want to have to pay for those again in some app store. Also, it's the lack of compatibility with GB/GBC games that has kept me from going to a DS at all - I freakin' love the Final Fantasy Legend series, and still play them pretty regularly (i.e. every time I'm on a plane). Until they bring out a new generation that is capable of playing DS games and something better too, I'll be saving my money.

I'd have to agree, the DS and PSP are still very viable as hand-held consoles. They have great games still being produced, and, as you said in your article, Gran Tourismo PSP looks -fantastic-.

GRoXERs:
snip

Yes, I did read. I just can't believe he had the audacity to just outright say both handhelds were going down the tubes.

And on another note, I agree with you. I am not in favor of the DSi or PSP Go. They've only shown me that the older versions will always be superior.

I use my psp everyday, to play POWDER.

Handhelds fulfill an important niche in the market. Therefore, they will never be 'obsoleted' until the need for portable entertainment goes away. Which won't be happening in the forseeable future.

The DS has sold absurdly well, despite how critical we as gamers are of it. The PSP, while being a device more up our alley, still hasn't matched its sales, and this really goes to show that it's not about about the hardware, but rather about supply and demand. Both these devices satisfy the market need for a cheap, accessible portable gaming platform. The iPhone certainly has its strenghts, but for the moment it's not nearly half as accessible as the DS is, due to price barriers and the need to be more tech-savvy to properly use one.

GRoXERs:
Did... did either of you actually read the article beyond the title? I'm just saying, it concludes that the PSP and DS have a lot of spunk left.

That being said, I thoroughly disapprove of the DSi. If I'm going to buy a new handheld, I want to play my twenty or so GBA games on it. I don't want to have to pay for those again in some app store. Also, it's the lack of compatibility with GB/GBC games that has kept me from going to a DS at all - I freakin' love the Final Fantasy Legend series, and still play them pretty regularly (i.e. every time I'm on a plane). Until they bring out a new generation that is capable of playing DS games and something better too, I'll be saving my money.

Oh, I read it all right. If I had to clarify one thing is that the "random tosser" tag was being applied to that analyst, not Pocket Gamer.

As for the whole apps store thing you mention about Gameboy games, you would be out of luck even if you wanted it. Nintendo has, for the time being at least, NO intention to release a portable Virtual Console. So, back to Ebay I guess...

JusticarPhaeton:
Handhelds fulfill an important niche in the market. Therefore, they will never be 'obsoleted' until the need for portable entertainment goes away. Which won't be happening in the forseeable future.

You know, it's funny that you call a 100+ million selling device a niche...

Georgeman:

You know, it's funny that you call a 100+ million selling device a niche...

Heh. I mean 'niche' in the denotative sense of the word - it's an important part of the market. 'Important niche' isn't the same as a 'niche market'.

Also Wagic: The Homebrew!?

Thats awesome.

...seriously, is this guy on Apple's payroll or something?

lordlee:

Puddle Jumper:

I also agree with the DSi GBA slot.
The only thing i didnt like about the Light when i had one is that the GBA games would stick out past the DS.
I couldent put it in my pocket for fear of it snaping in two.

Now OT: The DS and Psp still have a lot of life left in them, shure there are some bugs in both systems but i think we have yet to see their full potential.

I wish they would price drop the damn things. I want a DS, but I am not willing to pay that much for something I will only use on plane trips and bus rides

lordlee:
A real hardware update WOULD be nice for the DS, the PSP doesn't really need one. In either case both still are still doing their jobs excellently.

I think developers should start edging toward processor and RAM updates so perhaps games with more depth or capabilities can be produced... Until we can play complex mmo's on the go with photo-realistic graphics and whole-world physics, developers will not stop slowly incrementing updates on their platforms...

It's just going to take a while :P

lordlee:

Puddle Jumper:

There already is a DSi with GBA input. IT'S CALLED THE REGULAR DS

:P

Vohn_exel:
I could see the Iphone being more of a casual gamer's toy for the moment. But I believe that something like the Iphone will eventually sweep in and take over everything, cause it'll do everything, in a way that everyone can use it. I think it'll be internet, phone, gaming console, camera, ect. We'll carry them around and wireless control and communicate with everything, like our stove or something. And we'll have flying cars.

Bwahaha! I hope you're joking, because this is precisely what I see not happening. Yeah, sure, convergent devices will replace a certain number of our current discrete devices, but one must note that convergent devices always come with compromises, and the iPhone is easily one of the worst offenders regarding a compromised design.

Puddle Jumper:

Not really, the regular DS doesn't have access to the DSiWare and can not accept SDs. While a regular PSP can download PSP games while being able to accept UMDs just fine. Whether the DSiWare service is actually worth the transition from DS Lite to DSi (as well as sacrifing the GBA slot) is another question altogether.

Georgeman:

Puddle Jumper:

Not really, the regular DS doesn't have access to the DSiWare and can not accept SDs. While a regular PSP can download PSP games while being able to accept UMDs just fine. Whether the DSiWare service is actually worth the transition from DS Lite to DSi (as well as sacrifing the GBA slot) is another question altogether.

My DS accepts SDs pretty well.

R4 COUGH R4 COUGH COUGH.

I'll stick to my old DS that can hold 10 good games, few from NES and other systems and can still access GBA games.

Abedeus:

Georgeman:

Puddle Jumper:

My DS accepts SDs pretty well.

R4 COUGH R4 COUGH COUGH.

I'll stick to my old DS that can hold 10 good games, few from NES and other systems and can still access GBA games.

"Ahem" Last time I checked, Nintendo considered R4 an illegal accessory. And if we go by what is supported by backup/modification units we would never, ever end. So, I am still correct.

There is one thing that Nintendo does right with the handheld market is that they realize that there should be limits on handheld technology.

Look back to the Gamegear, lynx, and psp and all share at least one common problem which is a major factor to playing handheld games. Battery life. This is a key concern that really wasn't made when making a handheld. Now I own a psp and my brother owned a gamegear and I can say that in terms of longevity nothing has matched the endurance of the Nintendo handhelds. The real important fact to know here is that Nintendo isn't putting a special battery in their latest handhelds but that the power output is kept to a low to ensure that the player will enjoy playing as long as possible.

Now the second big problem with handhelds is what has plagued the PSP. Load times. Just like the console market the handheld market is having the same problems the console market had back when messing with CD technology. The advantage was that games could now hold more memory and have better graphics but the downside is what nintendo has tried to avoid because the handheld would have to output more power and the player would have to spend more time waiting on loadtimes than playing a game. This is why cartridges were so popular with nintendo, the technology was the fastest way possible to ensure games to load and play with the least amount of power.

Handhelds are only past their prime when the next handheld comes around and is capable of offering the consumers the same conditions as the previous handheld generation. Thankfully I see the DS and PSP lasting a while longer due to digital distribution taking over.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here