Review: Torchlight

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Review: Torchlight

Torchlight makes the long wait for Diablo III that much easier.

Read Full Article

Sounds really good. I never played Diablo, but this sounds interesting(and it's cheap).

Where does one buy this game?

I'm guessing Steam but I'd really rather not download Steam just to buy one game.

Nevermind. With a quick glance at the Torchlight homepage, I see that it isn't technically out till noon here (two hours) and is available from there. I will certainly be picking this up.

Gxas:
Where does one buy this game?

I'm guessing Steam but I'd really rather not download Steam just to buy one game.

There is a listing of all their distribution partners - here. I think there are still plans for a boxed version at a later date though. It's 10% off if you pre-order on Steam though, so it might still be worth it to pick up there.

This is EXACTLY like a game I played a few years ago called Fate.

John Funk, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for giving me something to do while I wait for D3

lets hope it lasts the 10 year blizzard dev cycle

it looks like a D2/WoW hybrid, but i dont care how it looks, its how it plays for me, and d2 is one of my fave games ever so im sold

chstens:

Some of Fate's developers work at Runic, so... :)

Any Multiplayer?

chstens:

It's the same Lead Designer, so hence the similarity.

Regarding multiplayer from the Torchlight FAQ:

"Q: Will I be able to play Torchlight online?

A: Because of the relatively short development window and tiny development team, we decide to focus our efforts on making a complete single-player experience. However, we are already in development of a massively multiplayer action-RPG set in the world of Torchlight for future release."

skeanthu:
Any Multiplayer?

I covered that in the written review. Sadly, no.

See what I get for watching the video? Oh well, that gives them a "to do" in expansion pack.

Hm. This game looks pretty darn awesome, seems worth picking up from Steam.

k, bought. 14€ was a good price IMO and with Borderlands delayed to the 30th I could use something to play in the meantime. It'll unlock at midnight.

Looks like a great game, and being single player means it's a lot easier than other "diablo clones" however, because I have no way of paying online I'll have to wait until it's available in stores.(which could never happen and that makes me sad)

I hadn't heard about this game before I read this now I MUST get it. I'm a huge fan of diablo-esque dungeon crawlers (dungeon siege, Titan quest, ect.). I'm off to see if I can scrounge up 20$.

Oh, and about the lack of multi-player, I've never played any of those kind of games in any way other than solo so that's not an issue for me.

Hell's Yeah! A dungeon crawler made by former Diablo employees? I'm in.

I used to think that John Funk was a terrible reviewer after the InFamous and Risen reviews but I'm glad I got to know about the game through this.

I've actually just bought this from steam, although it seems to think that it's not been released yet, although it's come out... TODAY.(the day I bought it.)

So I guess I'm playing the waiting game with Steam...

I just heard of this game today and was a bit interested, until I learned it has a very impressive editor with it that can do some pretty cool things.

I'd still like to try a demo for it, but right now with the knowledge I know of the editor, this makes me think of "Diablo" with "Neverwinter Nights" editor.

*drool*

CantFaketheFunk:

skeanthu:
Any Multiplayer?

I covered that in the written review. Sadly, no.

Hmm... Well, too bad. Diablo 2's main selling point for me was the multiplayer fun. But if it's good enough to entertain me till Borderlands becomes available in Europe... Also, good to see that developers care about European customers - I was expecting 20 EUR for it at Steam, but it's lower than that - only 16 EUR, 13.20 with the discount.

So...the guys who made Diablo are cloning Fate which was cloning Diablo? I think there's a Zeno's Paradox in there somewhere...

You can send your pet back to sell your loot? GENIUS!

Cartoony graphics? Simple requirements?

My piece of crap computer might be able to play this.

It plays World of warcraft, you think it can play this?

Dark Templar:

Almost certainly. Apparently it can run on netbooks.

CantFaketheFunk:

Dark Templar:

Almost certainly. Apparently it can run on netbooks.

Thats what I am using right now. Unfortunately...

Eh as long as I get WoW I am not gonna complain about it. This looks like a fun game, I will have to look it up.

Last night I had a dream about Diablo. This morning, my psychic emanations have been rewarded with a review of a game I can't help but have to play. EPIC GEMMING TIME!

I didn't want to buy this game without seeing a review for it. Hey look a favorable review, I guess there goes my excuse.

The game looks very nice.
The modding tools allow you to add character classes, levels, campaigns, items, skills , change graphics etc.

Can;t wait to tear them both apart (game and tools) :)

Susan Arendt:
You can send your pet back to sell your loot? GENIUS!

Now if you could do that in real life...

Actually no, bad idea. Artemis would just spend all the gold on whoever gave her the first ear tickle.

If I had any money, I would buy it. And I say that in all sincerity.

Is this for XBLA to?

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
Is this for XBLA to?

Nope, PC only. This style of game isn't really suited for consoles.

I've never played Diablo, and I don't usually get into RPGs, but this looks pretty interesting.

I pre-ordered this game not 2 days before this review and I'm really glad to see some footage so thanks a huge bunch Funk!

This game was made by some of the guys who worked on Diablo and some from Fate. I'm a huge Diablo fan and an even BIGGER Fate fan (which this game gets most of it's ideas from).

EDIT: By the way, as there's no demo for this game, I strongly recommended trying the demo for Fate as this game clearly derives from it.

Slycne:
It's 10% off if you pre-order on Steam though, so it might still be worth it to pick up there.

Unfortunately Steam won't let me because of all the geeks after L4D2.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here