The Escapist Presents: Live Chat with Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Hahaha he looks so tired. He can barely talk... and it looks like its from energy loss. Eat something before you do a interview or at least take something that gets you "up" rock star style. ;)

I would so fucking hit that bar up. I'm anticipating yelling "I NEED MORE MANA" instead of ordering drinks.

HK_01:
When Yatzhee says "It's very hard" the sound bugs out...or was that done on purpose?

Press X to not screw up the sound!

pliusmannn:
it's very harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D damn it

Game Over! Press X to not quit.

MasterMayhem117:
Was the part about quick time events done well screwed up purposely? the sound skips, but the video moves fine.. hmmm.. Yahtzee you genius idea witholder! You're saving that for a game you're designing aren't you!?

He's a sly dog. Also Art of Theft is hard as all fuck in level 4. Or maybe I suck ass. Guess we'll never know.

Hehe... Even thought Susan Arendt was presenting and her last name begins with an "A", Yahtzee came first. YAHTZEE FTW!

johnx61:

HK_01:
When Yatzhee says "It's very hard" the sound bugs out...or was that done on purpose?

Press X to not screw up the sound!

pliusmannn:
it's very harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D damn it

Game Over! Press X to not quit.

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! X WILL NOT SAVE YOU!

which ZP episode was taken over by imps?

It still gives me a fuzzy feeling to see him answer all my questions. Except the vegemite one.

Eye of the Tiger starts to play somewhere around 20:30 and 20:50

Oh the sexual tension, you could cut it with a spoon!

EDIT: Also, what kind of musi- damn! Susan you ninja'd me! :D

EDIT 2: Tall eh? How tall are you then Yahtzee? I'm 6'4... beat that!

EDIT 3: Come on, since when arent you allowed to say f**k on th... wait... f**k...? What the f**k? FFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Good interview. Yahtzee has a very unique and very witty sense of humour, and this video showcases that very well.

Warpig:
Good interview. Yahtzee has a very unique and very witty sense of humour, and this video showcases that very well.

I dont think unique is the way to characterise his sense of humour... if so then no one would find him funny... unless thats what you meant, in which case I advise you to run as the "Yahtzee Party" will eat you alive for insulting their fuhrer(!) :D

Yahtzee's a dude!?
Hah, anyway... I don't think anybody told him how the questions would be set out, she gave him too long to answer the questions without interuption then randomnly interrupted like 30 seconds into every start-stop answer. The Britishness shows through, if even YOU can't speak up in the face of rudeness Yahtzee then us normal Brits are screwed!!!

Evil Jak:

Warpig:

I dont think unique is the way to characterise his sense of humour... if so then no one would find him funny... unless thats what you meant, in which case I advise you to run as the "Yahtzee Party" will eat you alive for insulting their fuhrer(!) :D

Hurr Durr

It was a good interview, albeit a little awkward at times. I would have prefered more questions on his opinions rather than 'what's your favourite X' but still pretty informative and interesting. Nice job.

You guys should get another microphone.

Did anyone else notice they misspelled Susan's name at one point? They dropped the N in Arendt. Not sure how I noticed that.

Anyway, Yahtzee is a funny guy, even if he is wrong about JRPG's

SHE DIDN'T ASK WHERE HE GOT HIS HAT!!!!

Anyone remember which episode it was that the imps tried to take over?

The fact a bar that deals Links Highly Tasy-and-Addictive Red Potion may be on the way has caused me to book a ticket for Australia...for 2014. Hopefully the world won't end before I can taste the red/health potion.

As for people who said he was nervous, I would be to, considering he is not a people person/social whirlwind. I'm also irritated he was never asked if he keeps anything under his hat.

I hate her now... I really do... bad interview.

CaptainCrunch:

MasterMayhem117:
Was the part about quick time events done well screwed up purposely? the sound skips, but the video moves fine.. hmmm.. Yahtzee you genius idea witholder! You're saving that for a game you're designing aren't you!?

HK_01:

Not on purpose. The streaming software sometimes cuts out the audio like that when it records at the same time it streams live. Hopefully you can still understand what's going on from context.

I can't really. If it's possible please fix it.

ninja555:
which ZP episode was taken over by imps?

The one with X-Blades and Halo Wars.

General Vagueness:

CaptainCrunch:
Hopefully you can still understand what's going on from context.

I can't really. If it's possible please fix it.

Sorry to say, but that portion of the chat can't be recovered. Trust me, I tried. Only Yahtzee has the answer now.

"I think I could do the Morgan Freeman thing pretty well."

It never occured to me he looked like MF until now but, damn, he really could look like Morgan if he wanted to.

Good interview. He's got a book coming out inspired by Discworld? I'll be buying it in that case. I love the Discworlds.

he got a good taste of music

I find it hilarious that Yahtzee blames FFVII for his dislike of JRPGs. Although his statement that they are all about a bunch of a whiny, androgynous teenagers slaughtering god is more or less accurate. Still, blaming FFVII seems a bit cliche and off-base as that was about as good as the genre was ever going to get. Not counting FF Tactics, which is more of a Strategy JRPG than a Standard JRPG but still beats up all other JRPGs and takes their lunch money.

But the way I see it, JRPGs made a steady climb from insignificant top-down, 90-degree dungeons and once it hit FFVII, began a freefall, avalanche of ripping off the genre's magnum opus. Much in the way Hollywood milks the udders of anything popular until the teat dries up, falls off and shrivels into a pile of coarse dust. I used to love JRPGs and FFVII. Of course that was in the 90s when JRPGs were fresher and there wasn't the kind of variety of games we have now. But as I've said before FFVII was good when it came out, it's just not as sparkly and shiny as it was in 1997.

But if you don't like something, it's unlikely that you ever will. He's never gonna love JRPGs and I'm never gonna warm up to reality TV, ever.

Terramax:
"I think I could do the Morgan Freeman thing pretty well."

It never occured to me he looked like MF until now but, damn, he really could look like Morgan if he wanted to.

Good interview. He's got a book coming out inspired by Discworld? I'll be buying it in that case. I love the Discworlds.

He said Gordon Freeman lol....

If nothing else this interview got me to look forward to the perplexingly-named Mogworld and piqued my interest in two new authors: Tom Holt and Robert Rankin. TO MY LOCAL LIBRARY!

Also loved how the audio glitch perfectly masked the answer to the perfect QTE question and the transition into the hats question, I could tell that was what happened becAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and whistled for a baboon!

Speaking of limericks, the day after that review I had a creative writing assessment (Emulate Romanticism, huzzah), but I had the review stuck in my head... I wrote my story with a limerick rhyming scheme!

=O

oh my god.... my two favorite escapist personalitys...talking...for thirty minutes straight...
I can die happy now

great interview to watch, very nice to have some face-to-face time (sort of)

ianrocks6495:

He said Gordon Freeman lol....

Same thing :P

Susan Arendt is too cute. ^^

Yahtzee always seems very uncomfortable in front of the camera. He seemed the same during the GameDamage Pilot on youtube.

It never struck me until now... He looks like a squirrel.

silvertoast:
Is it just me or is this one of the stiffest interviews evar?
I blame the interviewer.

Well don't forget Yahtzee is a self proclaimed misanthrope so I'm not expecting him to be any good at interviews to being with...lol

wouldyoukindly99:
Am I really the only one who liked Bioshock's endings?

I love Bioshock but the ending.....?

Well I'll tell you what annoyed me the most in that game's story,the point when Master Miller your contact comes out and says he's really the main villain Liquid Snake....0o

(first thing that came to mind when Atlas....yeahhhhhhh..>>)

Anyways, going against Yahtzee's idea of banning sequels, I'm really looking forward to playing Bioshock 2 as the big daddy...=D

(video games always seem to get better by the second installment I guess through learning the mistakes made in the first game, then going down hill from there)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here