Zero Punctuation: Brutal Legend

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Brutal Legend

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Brutal Legend.

Watch Video

nice to see someone not drooling over it, and it seems like a pretty good review
1st to actually wathc it, then post?

i had bad feelings about this game, now im sure not to get it

glad to see not everyone liked this, the humor was not enough for me to enjoy the game, and i love tim scahfer, metal and rts's.

and i have a hard time seeing the resembles between tim and jack, they look alike in the pictures you choose but in all the others pictures and clips ive seen they look nothing alike, also theres a video of them together on double fines site.

I felt the same way about the rts parts, wasnt expecting those at all. Overall i still like the game though.

wow i was think of getting based off the escapist's review but now... anyway another awesome review (im guessing borderlands next week but thats just me)

Nice review, kinda thought the genius behind Psychonaughts would get buried under Jack Black and metal garbage.

EDIT=I meant that this wasn't a good game in the same sense that Psychonaughts was a good game, more that than any problem with Tim himself.

Not to try and destroy Yahtzee's point with the RTS thing, but after the game came out Tim Schafer came out and said not to play it like an RTS and to play it more like a hack and slash with RTS elements. Like you should be down there a fair bit with your guys, you just need to replenish them every once in a while.

Deep fried awesome.

My wednesday is now complete.

I laughed so hard. Brutal Legend looked pretty stupid to me, basically Jack Black's chance to wank.

yeah i didnt expect much from this game. im glad to actually hear some criticism of it. still wondering if Yahtzee will review Uncharted 2. curious what he will think of that one.

edit: i forgot to add how much i hate jack black. its a shame that dying in the game will not affect him living in real life.

nice to finally meet a review that can actually naysay the game rather than "Well it's Shaffer so I'll let it slide", combat sucked and RTS parts were boring, only interesting thing was the story and that was several hours shorter than it should've been

This game never really appealed to me in the first place, I can't see why everyone's fawning over it.

Also thank you for making a point of the Umlaut

Yeah, I did get more of a Jack Black vibe from this game, but then again, I don't exactly hate Jack Black.

I was appreciative of the few Psychonauts nods throught the game, but I, and everyone else on the planet it would seem, fully agree that the RTS really bogs the game down.

It sad, though, because I feel as if this game's sales are going to directly affect whether or not we'll ever get to see Psychonauts 2.

The game's still enjoyable, to a degree, but every compliant here is legit.

Also, seriously, where the fuck is the Hornblower?

Hehe i can ride a unicycle!

I feel justified for all the time spent on it now :)

So your saying Tim Schafer is Jack black? Wierd since it could be true...... (Also this has been bugging me all day, can someone tell me which ZP episode has the funny Painkiller thing at the end?)

Nice review.
I never knew that Mr. Croshaw has studied german

Liked the review. I especially agree with the sandbox complaint, not EVERYTHING has to be it - it's developers way of making the game last longer, with a *bit* more freedom.

Yes, pretty much my opinions as well, right from the beginning of WANTING to give this game a lot more credit simply because Schafer was at the helm, but really I couldn't stand certain elements. It's not *bad*, it's just really not up to par. The RTS portion isn't terrible, but it's really disjointed. They crammed so many genres together at once (RTS, driving, action combat, and rhythm action) that the whole things sags under the weight, if not outright collapses.

That and I'm not a very big metal fan, and according to my contemporaries back home (GameFAQs), that means I just don't "get it".

As for the Jack Black comments, I personally felt that given his style and his definition of panache that he was the perfect person for this role, and to be honest, he actually fits quite well, in my opinion.

Well Im kinda dissapointed at Brutal Legends negatives. I wasnt planning on buying the game new, I never do unless its Bioware, but if i was going to I would now just rent it or wait its price out.

Hell maybe I'll just watch someone play it on youtube for me. Worked with Wet.

Coincedently does anyone know a good website for that sort of thing? Watching someone play a game for you adequetly so you can enjoy the story?

poor yahtzee, spoiling the memoires of psyconauts.

i wish i had a flamethrowing monster truck :(

Venatio:
Well Im kinds dissapointed at Brutal Legends negatives. I wasnt planning on buying the game new, I never do unless its Bioware, but if i was going to I would now just rent it or wait its price out.

Hell maybe I'll just watch someone play it on youtube for me. Worked with Wet.

Coincedently does anyone know a good website for that sort of thins? Watching someone play a game for you adequetly so you can enjoy the story?

wikipiedia :)

not sure what i think about this game oh well nice vid!

I understand his criticisms, but I personally thought unlocking the story elements of the age of metal made more sense for the game. Part of the point of this game was to feel like driving around a heavy metal album cover and Brutal Legend fulfills that pretty perfectly. I liked the exploring.

I wish there were more adventure elements in the game (like more dungeons maybe), but I enjoyed the game and don't at all regret the $60 I put down for it. What I really want now is a concept art book.

ARKSgtAlpha:
wow i was think of getting based off the escapist's review but now... anyway another awesome review (im guessing borderlands next week but thats just me)

That or Uncharted 2.
I've decided not to get this game because 1. everyone says it's an RTS and not a hack and slash game. Penny Arcade, Zero Punctuation, the Escapist... 2. I'm not much of a music fan. 3. I don't think I can stand many more single player games except those from Nintendo.

I didnīt really enjoy the demo to be honest.

Tales of Golden Sun:
Nice review.
I never knew that Mr. Croshaw has studied german

If you are refering to his pronounciation then I think he might just have a brain.

OT: What is wrong with linear games?

Good video, Brutal Legend doesn't sound like my thing though :/

I agree that the game sucks at telling you what to do. If the creator has to go out public and tell people how to play it there has got to be something missing (although, the game does get better if you play it less like an RTS...). Didn't get the Hornthrower either until I looked it up.

Aside from that, it's a pretty good game.

The whole Jack Black, heavy metal, axe guitar thing didn't appeal to me much in the first place, but up until now I thought it had some potential. But the fact that it's an RTS in disguise completly ruins what fun could have been had from this game. Game developers need to learn how to pick a genre and stick to it. Awesome video though.

Yet again a good solid funny review with some good points.

I havent seen a review that makes me collapse in a heap and laugh 'til I wet meself for a while but they do come round and the interim always brightens up my Wednesday before Lunch

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here