Zero Punctuation: Brutal Legend

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

good one.
Everyone and their mom seems to be griping about the RTS disguised as a hacknslash issue. I too was duped by the demo I downloaded and thought the game nothing more than an average HnS with jack black starring as jack black in a jack black production (and I fucking hate Jack Black, so that was already major points against it).
I uninstalled the demo and thought nothing else of it ever again until seeing some reviews.

Good points about the whole sandbox trend too. Not a complete fan of it. Most of the time it wreaks of a lack of original ideas and good writing to make a compelling linear storyline.

I swear that I heard a chair in the background as well.

When you cut out Tim Schaffer's head and put it on a doll like that, it kinda looks like the marine's face from the original Doom. All you need is some blood on his face and a wicked grimace while firing the chaingun for more than 2 seconds.

I loved the demo. I pre-ordered the game based on the demo. The scene where Eddie rides the skeleton Mech-type thing down to the bottom of the hill had me in stitches. I thought it was going to be a hack-n-slash. I read the reviews of the game, and even though I dislike RTS-es, I still decided to give the game a shot. Then during the large-scale battle inside the hair-metal guys' palace, I realize that I still dislike RTS-es (or RTS elements, apparently) and I dislike them even more on X360.

What a let down. I traded the game in less than a month later to get maximum trade-in value. Oh well! I've got plenty to play between Uncharted 1&2, Dragon Age: Origins, CoD:MW2 and Assassin's Creed 2 this month!

Tenacious D fan here. Thought I might pick this up for the musical element but I guess I wasn't aware of what type of game it was.

Hey, maybe you're onto something there Yahtzee. Imagine it, "Tetris Quest". Where you travel around a huge open world doing quests that usually involve manipulating Tetris blocks and getting a certain number of lines. But you'd only start off with like 2 of the blocks and you'd have to journey around to find the others. Maybe we could throw some RTS elements in there too, have you command legions of troops that look like Tetris blocks.

*BTW, I'm being facetious.

So basically the flaws of Overlord 1+2 and EVE Online reviews + Metal music?

Yeah, I'm gonna blame that overrated Jack Black. He's funny sometimes, he just doesn't know when to be serious. And RTS is usually serious/boring, you do not half-attempt to cram that into ANY game. It has to have focus and purpose.

Psychonauts was incredible fun. Cynical, cute, flowing...much like a hack and slash should have been.

He's the white "Will Smith". Haha.

Yeh but only if u like heavy metal n stuff but if u dont then the game has absoloutely no appeal

This review was harsh...at least I can ride a uni-cycle

Going back and watching this now that I've played Psychonauts, it suffers from one of the same problems: it doesn't tell you where anything is. Go see Ford Crueller to get your merit badge: which one? There's twelve of him! I just happened to stumble down a tree stump and find his secret hideaway without the game giving me any kind of hint what to look for. Much like how I played the first two hours of Brutal Legend without a Motorforge available. I think this actually is part of the charm of these games, you get the satisfaction of finding these things without the game holding your hand.

Honestly I was surprised about the whole idea to mark Jack Black over the fact that it was a console RTS. As a big fan of Sacrifice on the PC, I was excited for pretty much anything that resembled it (turns out the game is pretty much a sequel with worse controls and better graphics, set in heavy-metal land rather than dark-floating-island-fantasy land). However as I realize I'm in the minority, I do really think advertising the action elements over the actual game was a despicable marketing move to save a game from selling about as well as, umm, the last Tim Schaffer game.

After many hours happily driving around staring at Megadeth album covers, and many more struggling with an xbox controller trying to get my melee guys to go without my ranged guys, or at least to move in a formation that was slightly less cumbersome, I realized that quite possibly the biggest problem with this game is the total lack of control. However, this may just be because the lack of control is hiding the even bigger flaws that I am unwilling to see due to my deep love of Sacrifice. Seriously, they're horrible.

If I ever play this game online, and lose to someone who actually looks like they're playing an RTS with a mouse, I will know it is Mr. Schaffer himself, playing it with a custom UI with a USB keyboard/mouse combo, and he created the control scheme the rest of us have to use specifically so he'd be the highest-ranked on Xbox Live (which is also why it's not on PS3. Who has time to dominate two leaderboards?)

Well that was pretty fucking miserable. Not that I'm suprised.

I want to love this game so damn much, but I can't.

I thought the RTS stuff was actually pretty damn cool, and stylish factions and the special attacks all of them have and everything are very, very awesome (Drowning Doom's my favourite) but they've put the RTS in an open world with vehical sections and beat-em-up combat, and tried to disguise the whole thing, and... it doesn't work.

Possibly the worst thing for me was the lack of world- there's only one story quest you complete at a time, instead of the usual pick-out-of-one-of-a-few-missions GTA style thing. The world is the best part of brutal legend, and the only thing to explore in it is repetitive racing/turret dufense/ambush side missions.

Perhaps the real problem was the hype? The game isn't what it promised it would be, promised even all through the first part. Honestly, I like the RTS style thing, but I would've prefered having it Jak 2 style: Ride around the overworld to get to missions that you complete through quirky hack-n-slash gameplay. THAT was the game brutal legend was claiming to be.

Apathyman:
Honestly I was surprised about the whole idea to mark Jack Black over the fact that it was a console RTS. As a big fan of Sacrifice on the PC, I was excited for pretty much anything that resembled it (turns out the game is pretty much a sequel with worse controls and better graphics, set in heavy-metal land rather than dark-floating-island-fantasy land). However as I realize I'm in the minority, I do really think advertising the action elements over the actual game was a despicable marketing move to save a game from selling about as well as, umm, the last Tim Schaffer game.

After many hours happily driving around staring at Megadeth album covers, and many more struggling with an xbox controller trying to get my melee guys to go without my ranged guys, or at least to move in a formation that was slightly less cumbersome, I realized that quite possibly the biggest problem with this game is the total lack of control. However, this may just be because the lack of control is hiding the even bigger flaws that I am unwilling to see due to my deep love of Sacrifice. Seriously, they're horrible.

If I ever play this game online, and lose to someone who actually looks like they're playing an RTS with a mouse, I will know it is Mr. Schaffer himself, playing it with a custom UI with a USB keyboard/mouse combo, and he created the control scheme the rest of us have to use specifically so he'd be the highest-ranked on Xbox Live (which is also why it's not on PS3. Who has time to dominate two leaderboards?)

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Why can I figure out the controls and you can't?

I love Brutal Legend and i would love a sequal, but you are right at some points...
Is there anyone on this f*cking planet that got the 100% crap achievement/trophy
WITHOUT searching 4 stuff on the web cuz' its f*cking impossible!!!

Haha nice review. Also I didn't read all the posts but did anyone else notice the StarCraft reference?

Scarily enough I was watching Fight Club the first time I watched this review.

I like to eat combination foods like pizza, sushi, and hamburgers. That's similar to how I like this game. Mainly there's the simple "bread" of RTS "go there, kill that, bring more help" gameplay, but the hack-and-slash gives it flavor while the driving gives it texture. The story's fine (not quite "Double Fine", lol).

RTS been sucked inot the sandbox genre by the time Horde 2 came out. And yes, russians did it first.
Nothing wrong with sandboxes though. The less linearity we have the better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)