Zero Punctuation: Brutal Legend

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Darrkon Fearlock:
Not to try and destroy Yahtzee's point with the RTS thing, but after the game came out Tim Schafer came out and said not to play it like an RTS and to play it more like a hack and slash with RTS elements. Like you should be down there a fair bit with your guys, you just need to replenish them every once in a while.

The counterpoint could be made that a game should be made and played without the developer having to tell you what to do to make it 'play right'.

Brutal Legend to me was amazing. Infact it took the position of favorite game to me. I personally hate RTS but that hardly effected my opinion. The story and the theme is why it is as good as it is to me. The hack and slash aspect is fun to me when you take on about 6 demons and you expect to die, but through clever blocking and attacks you manage to live. The game did however lack, what Yahtzee said, good directions. Overall a funny, but only decent review.

I think I will buy this game at some time... Maybe when it's cheaper.

Anyway, good review.

Yahtzee studied German?
Sehr interessant.

You really studied German? Wie lange denn, wenn ich fragen darf? Endlich jemand, der das Ü wirklich würdigt :)

Finally someone who doesn't praise the game only because it's made by Tim The God Schafer (I hate that they stole the ä in Schafer :/) I loved it the first 2 hours and then I just played through it for the hell of it. And yeah, for achievements, too.

aaaaahhh i feel much better now that you've atoned all the flaws in this game that i've been over looking for the last week. I still love the game, but I'm always happy to see you give any game a proper ribbing. Now do me a favor, please go into Tim Grim's thread about this game and tell him to stuff it. He's going on about "the guys who stand next to the stage wearing t-shirts with slogans on them" somehow being reason enough to not even play the game, he's completely whacked out on drugs and we need a professional to take care of him.

Darrkon Fearlock:
Not to try and destroy Yahtzee's point with the RTS thing, but after the game came out Tim Schafer came out and said not to play it like an RTS and to play it more like a hack and slash with RTS elements. Like you should be down there a fair bit with your guys, you just need to replenish them every once in a while.

That might work if you didnt get killed in 2 seconds...

I barely had time to fly in play a solo and then die right after.

Great Video Yahtzee

I knew it was a crappy game anyway.

Uncharted 2 came out before Borderlands, I'd say there's a higher chance of that(I hope >.>). I'm sure we'll get both eventually anyways.

Brutal Legend has a prerequisite that isn't mentioned on the box. You have to LOVE Heavy Metal. If you do, you will enjoy the game, flaws and all. If you have a passing interest or if you kinda like it or if you listen to it on occasion then Brutal Legend is going to leave you with this kind of feeling as Yahtzee described. A resounding "MEH" as you play through an in-joke that you are on the outside of.

Being born in the early 70s and living through Metal's highs, lows, big hair, and eventual death, I enjoyed this game. It's like a love letter to a time I lived through and that makes it special. But I certainly don't expect everyone to get into it. I've even found myself telling certain friends to skip it. It's short and it's not for everyone. Don't think I'm making excuses for it though. It definately has issues and the RTS stuff was the weakest part of the game. I found myself putting off those sections to go and explore. To see what album cover I could drive through next.

And I hold special contempt for Lita Ford's performance as the leader of the Xalia. If she was paid a dime more than $18 for that performance then Double Fine got ripped off and should seek litigation.

A stunningly accurate representation of my own feelings, umlaut included.

So you can control minions, but you can jump in yourself?

So it's basically Overlord?

I played it for about ten minutes yesterday at the Eurogamer Expo in Leeds (well, played for about half that time, rest was unskippable cut scenes :( ) and all i have to say is:

"holy crap there's an RTS under there?"

It started like some bad platformer slowly teaching you what button does what for the guitar and axe (not to be mistaken for being the same thing ;) ) because you know gamers are too dumb these days to either work it out for themselves or rtfm?

Then I ended up for no apparent reason driving around in some american hot rod car fighting what looks like Audrey II which apparently can be knocked out by simply hitting it's split tongue a few times.

Maybe the humour would've plastered over this weak platform style game until I got to the good bit but the volume on the booth next to me was way higher so I only heard everything with a two minute delay.

Suffice to say it's nice to see someone else not like this game much either as I'd thought half the internet had gone mental (to, you know, join the other half).

I was relieved to see him not verbally fellate the game based on Schafer's presence behind it.

I'm a bit confused about the humour element. The humour in the demo was the exact kind of trite B-Movie crap that I would expect from Jack Black in pretty much every movie he's ever done, and that seems woefully insufficient to fuel an entire game. The world seems "imaginative" enough, I guess, but only in the sense that Queen: The Eye just wasn't popular enough to accuse BL of plagiarism. And the gameplay we sampled struck me as bloody awful, even by the standards of the 900 Dynasty Warrior clones I've waded through looking for a good one.

Breutal Legend

I always pronounce it like that too! (This somehow validates my existence)

Quote me in your extra Punctuation, Oh mighty Cynical One, that I might think "Ha, I am noticed by someone relativly well-known" and thus begin my obsessive cycle

Good as always, though is it me or do they feel shorter?

Was I the only one who caught the Eddie Izzard reference? I'd like to thank Yahtzee for that, as it gave me a good laugh, much like the rest of the review.

His review confirmed that which I feared, that Brutal Legend ends up being an RTS, and not a very deep one. Still, Schafer did suggest playing it as a slasher with RTS elements rather than as an RTS with slash-em-up gameplay, which I suppose works for someone like myself, someone who lacks a fondness of the RTS genre.

I don't like RTS games but I liked Brutal Legend because it's NOT AN RTS. Yes, it has RTS elements in a reasonably sized chunk of the campaign but that doesn't make it an RTS anymore than sticking a "level up" system into an FPS suddenly makes it an RPG. If you don't like Sandbox games then fine but don't criticise them for not telling you things that you're suppose to explore. What's that? You actually have to work something out for yourself? In a GAME? It's not exactly a cryptic religious message hidden amongst various classical art pieces. Sorry Yahtzee, the review was funny but I fail to understand your issues with the game.

haha tyler durdan relationship awesome one yahtzee

EDIT: i have to say why the heck would you make an RTS on a console? it is a massive percentage better with a mouse and with patience which i know i dont have

Dark Templar:
Nice review, kinda thought the genius behind Psychonaughts would get buried under Jack Black and metal garbage.

Though funnily enough the metal and Jack Black are the stronger points of the game. Its real flaw is the lack of focus in the gameplay. So really you are not making any sense there.

Wow Tim Schafer was the designer? I thought if Jack Black was in it it would be something for the people who love King Kong or the other move he made about a school band. Any way I may now have to take a look though I never really like the hole 80's Rock band thing. Though I will have to pass it more on to someone who does like Ozzy. I head Ozzy is in the one place Yahtzee could not find for the car thing.

Funny solid review.
Though I still plan on playing the game, mainly because I actually take Yahtzee's reviews as a funny movie to pass the time rather then some judgment to refer to before buying stuff, an on the other hand because I like the concept and am cool with low-grade RTS as long as it has other things to replace it from time to time (Opposite of Halo Wars for those who don't get it)

warthoggunner:
I think I will buy this game at some time... Maybe when it's cheaper.

Anyway, good review.

Yahtzee studied German?
Sehr interessant.

It was pretty much mandatory for anybody who went to an English secondary school to spend five years studying either French or German. I ended up with French but now can hardly remember any of it.

Well, that settles it. If Schafer can't convert Yahtzee to the RTS genre, then nobody can.

I have to agree about the point on the game not telling you very little. Like the bound serpents and hidden legends. I was kinda clueless as to freeing those. I really figured just a normal guitar attack would do the trick for serpents, not the full charge that I rarely used in combat. Same goes with the Earthshaker and legends. Also, never quite figured out how to customize Mt. Rockmore, although I wasn't too crushed since I mostly focused on weapon upgrades.

And yeah, game was short, I found the multiplayer insubstantial, and I would have prefered the stage battles to be more like Dynasty Warriors than an RTS.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but in the end I wish I would have rented it instead of buying and trading it a week later.

Worsle:

Dark Templar:
Nice review, kinda thought the genius behind Psychonaughts would get buried under Jack Black and metal garbage.

Though funnily enough the metal and Jack Black are the stronger points of the game. Its real flaw is the lack of focus in the gameplay. So really you are not making any sense there.

Yhea, I didn't think so.

The story was pushed out of the way so that Jack Black could share his metal fantasy.

The gameplay is a moot point, the story mattered more to me and it was hardly there.

Wow. Apart from the fight club reference that had me laughing my teeth, I also liked the number of people being put on probation.

It that this time around though, the review was more joking than talking about the game. Still funny but I wanna hear more about the game. I did not see anything about the solos that Eddie can perform.

Tim said himself that you shouldn't play this like an RTS, just run in with a load of dudes and use the Y button on your controller.

Sounds simple enough.

Though, the lack of clarity in the game is exceptionally annoying and the story is rather brisk, I still think this is a decent game.

TheNamlessGuy:
So you can control minions, but you can jump in yourself?

So it's basically Overlord?

Pretty much, but done WORSE. Yeah...

The umlaut crap was just weak.

Many metal bands use it. Like Motörhead.

For the rest it was rather solid review, but I didn't laugh with it. Kind of a missed opportunity, oh well.

And as a sidenote, I don't get the entire, "OMFG! it's an RTS! this game must suck!" thing that people are saying. Anybody who played a real rts (no, halo wars does NOT count as a real rts) will see it's just using RTS elements and made them simple enough for most people to understand.

What is it about Metal nowadays that makes them slap umlauts over everything in an attempt to make it LOOK cool? Games like this are a perfect example; actually pronouncing the umlaut sounds so funny that Yahtzee made a running joke of the bit. So what, we're supposed to ignore certain parts of words just because they make a worde looke a certain way?

Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah. Thanks for this review, Yahtzee, because I had played the demo and, like you, was quite sure that this was going to be a hack-n-guns-n-roses-lead-guitarist RPG, except with the standard sword replaced by a guitar, which I wholeheartedly support. However, several of my friends who have bought this game already have been telling me that there's more and more RTS as the game goes on, and this game is the final, crowning nugget of knowledge that has convinced me not to bother with it because I hate RTS games.

So, in a nutshell, good soundtrack, good voice acting, and somewhere in this game's concept is buried that standard Schafer brilliance that games like Psychonauts (rented it at Yahtzee's demand, and never regretted it) carried with them. I mean, who else would think of running around beating people up with bass guitars?

(except the Japanese. cookie for the reference.)

Solid critique. The RTS elements really killed the game for me. Otherwise, it was fairly enjoyable in a bizarre metal fan base way.

Awe this sucks... I feel some what betrayed I thought the game was going to be a RPG with RTS elements but it seems to be the other way around... and i don't much care for RTS either. Im a bit torn on whether I should get this game or not. I guess you can play it as a a fighting game since you can hop into the combat axe first, but I don't want to command my troops, they need to have the sense to go kill that which is killing them!

...Why are all my favourite reviewers bashing this game? I thought it was the shit.

Buy this game if you are not somebody who hates exploration and RTS gameplay. The single player game is mostly about driving and exploration while the RTS sections are almost like a tutorial for the mutliplayer component.

Essential information disseminated. Ending post in 3. 2. 1.

Dark Templar:

Worsle:

Dark Templar:

Yhea, I didn't think so.

The story was pushed out of the way so that Jack Black could share his metal fantasy.

The gameplay is a moot point, the story mattered more to me and it was hardly there.

The story is a metal fantasy, you can't push out a metal fantasy to replace it with an other metal fantasy. Jack Black's fantasy? This is Tim Schafer's world he is quite clearly a metal head as any one who has played full throttle would know.

J-Alfred:
What is it about Metal nowadays that makes them slap umlauts over everything in an attempt to make it LOOK cool?

Nowadays? Umlauts have a long history in metal, it is not a resent contrivance.

Alright,yahtzee. 1. I like and respect you, but I did feel that your review of Brutal Legend (just your review of Super smash bros Brawl)was just a bit unfair. For one thing,I like playing something complex enough to be a ( and I know some jerk is going to say otherwise) grand time with a good story and fun battle mechanics yet simple enough that it's reminds you what a game is supposed to be and do. as you said u kinda said to actually have some fun. and that is what this game is. I respect your opinion and everything,but you gotta see it my way. A dude that has'nt seen shafer's other work (except Psychonauts) and you did'nt even mention the multiplayer. And while I'm on the subject, I did'nt appeciate the comment you made in one of your earlier reviews making fun of ashberger syndrome. Guess what, I HAVE IT. I'm not angry or nothing, just did'nt like the comment. One more thing. You realize you can play SSBB with a Gamecube controller or the Wii remote on it's side right? Venatio, the site you're looking for is gameanyone.com. Just joined and wanted that off my chest for a while now. Have a nice day. =)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here