Watch Out for Industry Frauds

Watch Out for Industry Frauds

Studios beware: Hiring one of the growing numbers of industry marketing and PR frauds can kill your title or studio.

Read Full Article

A new news contributor?
Welcome to Escapist.
We could use some sources of information in your article.

These frauds are a disgrace, but I have at least a little sympathy for them. Finding a PR or marketing job in any industry that doesn't require 3-5 years experience in the field is even harder than finding a needle in a haystack.

Eh what? Are the HR guys slacking? What happened to references? You can easily call someone or email someone with an official email address Reference@valve.com or something.

Interesting article pointing out the rise of fraudster people and firms. But the information was really too basic, I think.

Seriously, telling this group to Google something "without brackets"?

That suggests that either you didn't bother taking a look at the target demographic of the audience this article was for, or worse, that you didn't do that *and* just re-purposed something written for a different audience.

Were I a potential client and saw this, it'd bring up significant reservations from me about what type of service I can expect from your firm -- will it be similarly re-purposed and not properly targeted?

Interesting read into a part of the industry that is not discussed all that much. Thanks.

The first part of the article was interesting, certainly. However, I can't figure out who the second part of the article was directed towards; given the population of this website, I seriously doubt that information will be put to use. We are gamers, not game developers. A better choice might have been talking about companies that had near-misses: this way, you could talk about what they did right, why still appealing to the "trivia" centers of our brains.

Kwil:

A lot of the people who shake the hands of various marketing agencies during the hiring process aren't the strongest in their search-fu. It doesn't hurt to mention the basics for those who might not be aware such things can drastically change their results.

The small studios that get one shot at getting their first and only game out there need all the tips they can get, and nobody likes when they forget something easy.

Warhobo:
However, I can't figure out who the second part of the article was directed towards; given the population of this website, I seriously doubt that information will be put to use. We are gamers, not game developers.

Before we added daily content, and just had weekly articles, a large portion (if not the majority) of our audience came from development and other industry studios. Quite a few developers read our articles regularly, even if they are now in the minority of our user base in their quantity.

What's up with this guys join date?

Kross:

Kwil:

A lot of the people who shake the hands of various marketing agencies during the hiring process aren't the strongest in their search-fu. It doesn't hurt to mention the basics for those who might not be aware such things can drastically change their results.

The small studios that get one shot at getting their first and only game out there need all the tips they can get, and nobody likes when they forget something easy.

Warhobo:
However, I can't figure out who the second part of the article was directed towards; given the population of this website, I seriously doubt that information will be put to use. We are gamers, not game developers.

Before we added daily content, and just had weekly articles, a large portion (if not the majority) of our audience came from development and other industry studios. Quite a few developers read our articles regularly, even if they are now in the minority of our user base in their quantity.

Huh, I did not know that. Thank you for that that titbit of information. I still think using companies who barely dodged a bullet as examples to discuss what to do right would have worked better for everyone, but I see it has more appeal than I thought. I stand corrected.

Internet Kraken:

Lol. Time travel.

It's nice to see an article like this, showing the Escapist has more than a teenage and/or amateur geek readerbase. I guess it was only inevitable with today's job market that there would be people trying to con their way into gaming developers jobs or gaming pr jobs. I wonder how many of these were the cause of certain looked forward to IP's getting shut down, only we didn't know all the reasons, because who wants to say they got the wool pulled over their eyes, when they should have known better. This article tells how a company can know better before damage happens.

heyheysg:
Eh what? Are the HR guys slacking? What happened to references? You can easily call someone or email someone with an official email address Reference@valve.com or something.

That is difficult to do when the references these people make are to companies that no longer exist, the websites are long since shut down, and no specific emails are pointed out in the resumes. What was suggested to prevent the damage was the companies do research into the defunct ones, finding email addresses and such. Many of the frauds leave working contact info out, in the hope that the company won't make the effort to google it. If you don't want your IP to fail, you gotta protect it by following up on resume references. Don't just take the applicants word for it.
I have to wonder how many of these applicants had the best of intentions and screwed things up with their incompetency and lack of experience, and how many actually meant to act maliciously. Scary thought.

Internet Kraken:

he joined a day before this got posted. So?

OT:

wow, that sucks that those games companies got taken down by fraud

2012 Wont Happen:

Internet Kraken:

Originally his join date was December 31, 1969. Looks like they fixed it.

Internet Kraken:

2012 Wont Happen:

Internet Kraken:

Originally his join date was December 31, 1969. Looks like they fixed it.

ah, I see

Lvl 64 Klutz:
These frauds are a disgrace, but I have at least a little sympathy for them. Finding a PR or marketing job in any industry that doesn't require 3-5 years experience in the field is even harder than finding a needle in a haystack.

You gotta start somewhere, right?

Still, I agree. If you don't have the experience, at least be honest about it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here