Alt+Escape: Alice Is Dead, Episode 1

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Alt+Escape: Alice Is Dead, Episode 1

This isn't Wonderland as you may remember it.

Read Full Article

Wow... I'm already stuck. Really does make me want to go back and play Kings Quest VI again.

Now where did I put my computer with Windows 95 and all my Kings Quests still on it...

I first played this when browsing Newgrounds a few weeks ago, then again on Kongregate just to get the achievement for completing it (since I'm a major achievement whore). Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos and the demo of the first Broken Sword are what jointly, over several years, got me into point and click adventure games in the first place (to the point where I seek them out now on the internet, and am desperately trying to find a cheap affordable copy of each and every BS game for the PC, if that's possible). But yeah, I played Alice Is Dead, though I have to say the main appeal came from the fact that I've developed a slight obsession with the Alice In Wonderland story (perpetuated by a university theatre company, American McGee, and Tim Burton). But it was definitely a good game. Simple, yet easy to play and the interface was pretty easy to understand and get to grips with. Overall it's a fun little timewaster with an interesting cliffhanger that makes you eager for the next installment. On the whole, I definitely enjoyed it and can't wait to play the next episode :)

I played this a while back on notdoppler - it was really hard, and I could barely do anything - I got everything I could find, clicked every pixel of the screen, and tried to combine every item, and still nothing!

Fine, I'll try it again...

Just finished it, was a little frustrating at times but not a bad little killer of time. Didn't have to check the walkthrough once, I'm proud of myself I usually have to with these kind of games.

Just managed to finish it. I think that's the first point and click adventure I've ever completed :P
A bit shorter than the others I tried, though...
that game is slightly twisted. well, maybe more than slightly.

I Remember playing this one back on newgrounds a few months ago!
its a bit short and some of the things are really hard to spot, but other than that its a really well done game.
wonder when the 2nd part will be released !

So yeah, when does the second chapter come out. That was kind of a let down in terms of length.

But seriously, where did I put Kings Quest VI?

Well, it looks interesting... but way too complicated. Or maybe I'm getting dumber. It's... hard to tell.

I'll wait until the other episodes are live, but I think a five-minute timewaster is wearing the whole 'episode' thing a tad thin.

Trivun:
(to the point where I seek them out now on the internet, and am desperately trying to find a cheap affordable copy of each and every BS game for the PC, if that's possible).

I'm pretty sure all BS (har har) games are available at GoG for like ten bucks each.

Heh, finished that a week ago on Kongregate.

It was pretty good, I liked the music.

Well I enjoyed it and had fun. I was stuck at one point fairly early (didn't thought it was possibly to use items on each other but then it played out rather well).

Will the other parts be available for free or will they start to charge something?

I personally rather enjoyed the game :)

I want that song! That was great!

I'm somewhat baffled by people who find this complicated...there are only so many things you can do, after all. But I, too, didn't read the instructions properly and so didn't notice that you could combine items.

I thought the sense of humor was absolutely brilliant. Can't wait to play the next chapter.

This game was awesome. Normally I need a walkthrough for these types of games, but once I realised you could take a bone, it all just kind of fit together.

Susan Arendt:
I'm somewhat baffled by people who find this complicated...there are only so many things you can do, after all.

Yeah I thought it was pretty easy. Loved the details like the writing and the plot twist...

Very short though... Hope more is coming soon because I loved it.

I liked this one, short and sweet for an afternoon break. Looking forward to more!

I quite enjoyed this game, and loved the song coming from the box, lol. Looking forward to Episode 2 :D

man i love this game! i was going to recommend this to this feature, but I never got around to it. The only game that I think was more fun than Alice is Dead was Vox Populi Vox Dei. Seriously, if your reading this, stop and go play that game. Its awesome.

Ha! I actually played this game long before reading this article and I enjoyed it, wish it was longer though. I loved the song playing in the background.

I primarily remember it being short, and having very annoying music. The writing that was revealed with the monocle was a bit creepy, though.

It made me groan as I had to endure yet another Alice in Wonderland inspired piece of media! Oh how I wish people would read or watch something else for a change! There are other forms of surrealism other than the same magical rabbit hole blather over and over and over again. I mean it's so friggen obvious when somebody is inspired by the novel it's a wonder why it isn't referred to as fanfic. Bah! Rant over.

Still themes aside it's a fairly decent adventure game and I guess it's nice twist on a never ending cavalcade of overused fiction.

It was ok. The interface was simple and easy to use fortunately, and the puzzles more or less made sense (in a "Wonderland" sort of way), but the game itself was far too short. Obviously they want to release it in chapters, but that really just sucks. I predicted the twist at the end too. I think I'll wait until they've released all the chapters first before playing through it.

Daruth_Winterwood:
It made me groan as I had to endure yet another Alice in Wonderland inspired piece of media! Oh how I wish people would read or watch something else for a change! There are other forms of surrealism other than the same magical rabbit hole blather over and over and over again. I mean it's so friggen obvious when somebody is inspired by the novel it's a wonder why it isn't referred to as fanfic. Bah! Rant over.

At least it's not about damned vampires.

Andronicus:

At least it's not about damned vampires.

Yeah, that theme seems to be beaten into the ground lately. Personally, I have no time for vampires who are not named Kate Beckinsale.

That was fun, got it on my first try, so it was too easy.

too easy and too short. although very imaginative, interesting, i smell a nice story here. cant wait to play all the other parts

@Andronicus True enough. Still it's early days. The later episodes could deliver...

Still waiting for the next episode. Liked this one a lot, but it wasn´t nearly enough.

But yeah, creepy fairy tales are creepy.

I have to say, having played through this I was disappointed. There wasn't really much substantial to it, some of the solutions were obnoxious and a bit misleading, and the way it ends makes me think this is just going to get silly and cheesy. I might give the next episode a try, but unless you're really in to authentic(i.e. annoying) adventure games you may want to give it a miss.

I'm a fan of the point-and-click browser game. This one was good.

I liked it. The slight unease brought on by the world and the music worked well for me. The humor was good as well ("The bottle is not a key" You don't have time to play cards with a shovel"

good game short i wish it was a bit longer.

Wow.. that was.. umm easy! The puzzle's were so obvious. I loved the BGM track and hope the sequel will be a bit harder.

Part One was all right. Two was better, but still short. Now to wait on Three, I suppose.

Good game, only really had to consult the walkthrouh for the final puzzle, and even then it was becuase i diden't have the patience to figure it out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here