Review: Dragon Age: Origins

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Hooray! Justification for my wildly overpriced gaming computer!

Bought the CE and the DLC mission (360 version). It better be as good as you say it is Russ. Or you can expect a visit at your office (and a flaming bag on your doorstep).

Achievements!

If I get the PC version, is it perchance hooked up to Games for Windows or whatever the system is that means they show up on your 360 account whajamacallit?

Anyone find out which guy you can fall in love with if you are playing as a guy? Yea, that's what I want to know.

Ugh, why couldn't they delay MW2? Now people will be going "what the hell man?! Why didn't you buy mw2?! Best game evaaaaahh!!" at me while I try to play a nice rpg.

Should finish demon's souls first, though.

Also, is this gonna be moddable? Will the graphics suck (will not really look too good) on ps3 as well? Been wondering if I should get it on the ps3 or computer. Mods > trophies.

TooMiserableToLive:
Ugh, why couldn't they delay MW2? Now people will be going "what the hell man?! Why didn't you buy mw2?! Best game evaaaaahh!!" at me while I try to play a nice rpg.

Also, is this gonna be moddable? Will the graphics suck (will not really look too good) on ps3 as well? Been wondering if I should get it on the ps3 or computer. Mods > trophies.

If mods mean more than trophies, go with the PC version.

Yurimistress:

A13X T3h NubCak3:

Yurimistress:
I've just played through the first combat mission and for the most part the game is good. My buzz, however, quickly died once I realized that your character doesn't say a damn thing! Oh sure he/she says a few things while in combat but that's it. Instead of limiting your character to one awesome and very well done voice actor per gender (as in Mass Effect) we are now given the choice of various voices to use that don't go beyond one sentence at best.

I'm going to keep playing through the game until I can get a more definite feel for it but this has been a huge blow for me personally. Mass Effect had its faults but you could ignore those just cause the story sucked you in so well, especially when you had a voice behind your character. I was hoping that this game might perfect on some of those faults but never would I have considered the lose of grade A voice acting for my character.

Its alot like Knights of the Old Republic speech..

Just read it out and pretend you are saying it to the person.. Thats what i did for Kotor.. But granted i understand where you are coming from.. it was nice to see your character interacting with the person in that way.

Also can more people update and tell us what they think of the game? Thanks

Granted that's what I tend to do inside my head for Kotor or older RPG's. This, however, is not an older RPG and feels like a step in the wrong direction. For Bioware to go from Mass Effect with damn near complete voice acting for your character (I say near cause a few speech options say the same thing regardless) to me having to imagine how my character would say a line just feels wrong.

Oh and the controlling of your fellow party members feels overly complicated and clumsy. Guess I'll just return the game and bide my time for Mass Effect 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Dragon Age Origin feels a touch...generic as medieval stories go.

you playing on xbox pc or ps3?

FloodOne:

TooMiserableToLive:

Are you sure there will be mods? Mass effect didn't get any, though that was a different engine ofcourse. I'm just hoping it might get a big mod-/fanbase like oblivion got.

Those who are undecided about which version to get should consider that the PC version gets the Toolset and all the great mods that will inevitably be produced by the community.

TooMiserableToLive:

FloodOne:

TooMiserableToLive:

Are you sure there will be mods? Mass effect didn't get any, though that was a different engine ofcourse. I'm just hoping it might get a big mod-/fanbase like oblivion got.

Yes there will be mods and player created content.

A13X T3h NubCak3:

Yurimistress:

A13X T3h NubCak3:

Yurimistress:
I've just played through the first combat mission and for the most part the game is good. My buzz, however, quickly died once I realized that your character doesn't say a damn thing! Oh sure he/she says a few things while in combat but that's it. Instead of limiting your character to one awesome and very well done voice actor per gender (as in Mass Effect) we are now given the choice of various voices to use that don't go beyond one sentence at best.

I'm going to keep playing through the game until I can get a more definite feel for it but this has been a huge blow for me personally. Mass Effect had its faults but you could ignore those just cause the story sucked you in so well, especially when you had a voice behind your character. I was hoping that this game might perfect on some of those faults but never would I have considered the lose of grade A voice acting for my character.

Its alot like Knights of the Old Republic speech..

Just read it out and pretend you are saying it to the person.. Thats what i did for Kotor.. But granted i understand where you are coming from.. it was nice to see your character interacting with the person in that way.

Also can more people update and tell us what they think of the game? Thanks

Granted that's what I tend to do inside my head for Kotor or older RPG's. This, however, is not an older RPG and feels like a step in the wrong direction. For Bioware to go from Mass Effect with damn near complete voice acting for your character (I say near cause a few speech options say the same thing regardless) to me having to imagine how my character would say a line just feels wrong.

Oh and the controlling of your fellow party members feels overly complicated and clumsy. Guess I'll just return the game and bide my time for Mass Effect 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Dragon Age Origin feels a touch...generic as medieval stories go.

you playing on xbox pc or ps3?

Went with the PC cause I figured commanding a squad with a controller would be hellish.

Slycne:

TooMiserableToLive:

FloodOne:

TooMiserableToLive:

Yes there will be mods and player created content.

PC it is then.
Thank you so much.

Well, you seemed to confirm my desire to pick this game up, despite the apparently lackluster amount of character customization options.

I just bought it off steam. Now i have to wait until friday to play it. its going to be worth it though

I'm pleased to see the GiantBomb people agree with you (http://www.giantbomb.com/dragon-age-origins/61-20738/reviews/) - though they said that its abit more old 'skool' than most people would expect. And, yay, the Dragon Age rule set is less complex than the D&D ones, like I've hoped.

Well I am patient when it comes to graphics ( I have sat through Two Worlds), it is game control and its mechanics that put me off ( I will never be a mage on Morrowind), so I think I can roll with 360 here. My 360 is suprisingly durable as it has only broke once, my computer on the other hand barely plays guild wars well, and THAT it not tolerable. As for the mentioned cluster of party command: I don't think I will be any better on a pc than I am on a console for that, but I think I could do much better with a pad in my hands and yes, I know I could just buy a computer pad but then I am shooting myself in the foot in more ways than one.

TooMiserableToLive:
Ugh, why couldn't they delay MW2?

I think if they did that, there would be a lot of game companies wetting their pants, considering many of the games scheduled to be released before christmas were delayed so they didn't coincide with Modern Warfare 2.

I must admit, I never really gave this game much attention to be honest. It looks like the WRPG's answer to Final Fantasy XII, and I loved that game; it even has gambits, or their variation of. I've already got Borderlands ready for after exams are over, I still have to finish off Fallout 3 and I really want to finally get around to playing Half-Life, but if I find the time, I'll certainly give this game some consideration.

bigdaddy95:
Well I am patient when it comes to graphics ( I have sat through Two Worlds)....

Wait, you stand though that for...? ;)

Now i know what I'm spending my tax return on. After paying the mounting bills

The graphics are stunning on my 360 with my plasma screen. I can't imagine what the reviewer was playing it with, as I see no problems at all. And it's definitely better than what I'd be able to manage on my lackluster PC. I've only played about 5 hours or so now, but I have to say, this game is quickly becoming a favorite. BioWare never disappoints, I must say.

Hmm lets see

9800gtx
2.6ghz dual core
1TB RAID
2Gb ram

PC it is

Russ Pitts:
Review: Dragon Age: Origins

Could Dragon Age: Origins possibly be as good as everyone hoped it would be? Yep.

Read Full Article

Was that a Emperors New Groove reference at the end?

After the initial nightmare of trying to get the DLCs and Collector Edition stuff from the overloaded BioWare servers, all I can say is that Dragon Age was beyond my expectation, the combat is so amazing that I doubt I'll ever go back to D&D 'crappy' combat system again. Playing as a Mage has never been his damn fun.

Hmm... I've been hearing about this game more and more and now think that it will take a higher priority for my Xbox than MW2. Even though my old MW1 copy broke months ago.

My favorite kind of game is a brilliantly pulled off RPG and Dragon Age from what I've heard seems to fit the bill. Good to hear it lived up to expectations.

I've got it for PS3, and i'm here to tell you all that I was impressed with the graphics. From what i've read and heard from reviews I was expecting much worse. You won't be disappointed with the graphics on the PS3 version.

So they used the Baulder's Gate style of getting from place to place, eh? That's cool. It's good to hear that the game didn't fall prey to mediocrity. I'll be sure to pick it up for compy.

Alright, definitely not a rental then?

I'll probably pick it up sometime around chrimbo, Which means i'm gonna be way behind on story and whatnot... damn.

TooMiserableToLive:

Also, is this gonna be moddable? Mods > trophies.

I saw the druid, with her hair blocking her nipples, and the first thing to cross my mind was, "that's going to get modded in a heart beat. Like, the first mod anyone will manage will be a topless druid mod. It'll progress from there, but, that's sure to be mod 1.0. :)

(I dunno if there will be. Only what there will should there be mods. ;) )

I picked this up tonight for the PC...

I sat down at 8...and have just been able to pull myself away from it.

I love the classic overhead view (like from Baulder's Gate, Diablo, NWN, etc...), and for the PC at least the graphics are fantastic.

The only downside I've come across so far is that being a mage it makes a little difficult to run at the head of the group...so I have to play as the current tank until the fighting gets underway, and then flip back to my mage. Not a game breaker, but maybe I'm missing something in the tactics in terms of formations or something.

Anyway, cheers, the game's great so far.

I got the game today on steam (PC) and have put in around 4 hours so far and have to say that I think Bioware has lived up to all expectations and created another classic RPG. It is amazing the amount of voice acting that had to go into this game since there are lots of cut scenes to add to the story while the game is 80+ hours long. This game truly amazes me and it makes me sad I have to log off for the night to get sleep. Can't wait to see whats in store tomorrow. This game is EPIC!

Loop Stricken:
Achievements!

If I get the PC version, is it perchance hooked up to Games for Windows or whatever the system is that means they show up on your 360 account whajamacallit?

... anyone?

squid5580:
Bought the CE and the DLC mission (360 version). It better be as good as you say it is Russ. Or you can expect a visit at your office (and a flaming bag on your doorstep).

I assure you it is so far today between the two files I set up, I have.... 7.5 hours clocked into it already, and loved every minute of it. And by the way Russ wasn't kidding when he said this game is hard, I'm wrapping Mass Effect on Insane, and this game I am having trouble on Normal

What I would like to know is can I have my Dwarf character have a gay romance with the elf Zevran? According to devs, dwarves can romance normally, and the male homosexual romance option is Zevran, the elven assassin.

Imagine that in-game cutscene...

Ok I'm not getting it for the box :D Tho' SO MUCH getting it for the pc :D

I was totally torn between this and Borderlands (both on the 360), but seeing as how I don't have a HD TV anyway (yet! I'm planning to get one around January sales time), I'm thinking I'll push for this one. Graphics aren't a huge deal for me, and I do love my epic fantasy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here