Review: Afrika

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Afrika

It's like Pokemon Snap, but with fewer snorlaxes and more elephants.

Read Full Article

They finally released it?

Looks fun if you're the patient type. I'd rather photograph real animals, but budgets are a pain in the ass.

If I finally get a PS3 someday, I'll check it out.

I'm curious: can you die in this game? For instance if you don't step away from the bull elephant, what happens then?

Woem:
I'm curious: can you die in this game? For instance if you don't step away from the bull elephant, what happens then?

good question! also, id love to get this game. i loved, loved, pokemon snap, and the composition points kept me coming back till late in the night, trying to get that perfect shot. this sounds similar, too bad its not out for pc.....

No David Attenborough, no dice.

If only he were the player character... sigh...

Says right there that "death" will just send you back to the camp and remove all the photos you collected in that run.

IGN also complained that you could only take one photo assignment with you (instead of a todo list of several assignments so you can take a picture of whatever you encounter) and that the map was very small and purpose built (e.g. a hippo pond and such instead of a large map where hippos could show up in any body of water), was that an issue for you?

Susan Arendt now knows the answer to the question, "Where can you see lions?"

So do I! Kenya. Lions and tigers only in Kenya.

KDR_11k:
Says right there that "death" will just send you back to the camp and remove all the photos you collected in that run.

IGN also complained that you could only take one photo assignment with you (instead of a todo list of several assignments so you can take a picture of whatever you encounter) and that the map was very small and purpose built (e.g. a hippo pond and such instead of a large map where hippos could show up in any body of water), was that an issue for you?

It was a bit annoying at first, but I got in the habit of just taking lots of pictures of everything whenever I went out. That way, I could clear a bunch of missions back at base camp, because I'd already have a photo meeting the requirements. This only worked for easier assignments, like "Get a picture of a water buffalo," and you won't receive certain assignments until you do something specific. But it's really not a big deal.

You're also right about the animals only showing up in specific places for specific reasons. This isn't the broad, sprawling safari that you might want. While that's somewhat disappointing in some respects, it definitely helps cut down on the "where the hell do I look *now*?" factor. If you had to find, say, hippos, it's nice to know where the assigned hippo pool is, as opposed to searching blindly all over the various map locations.

How about us Europeans? I'm not seeing any sign of it in UK shops anywhere - any sign of a release date?

I feel a song coming on

This doesn't really look like a game for me, but it's nice to see a game made for a very specific niche, and made well.

Eh, I dunno, this seems to be more of a simulation then a game. Meaning that it's more concerned with realism than gameplay.

Mariena:

Also, the giraffes and zehbra.

WOW. You get $30,000 just for photographing a merecat standing on its hind legs? Well, I'm moving to Afrika.

LazerFX:
How about us Europeans? I'm not seeing any sign of it in UK shops anywhere - any sign of a release date?

It looks like another Demon's Souls level "fuck you" to Europeans.

Shame, my roommate would have LOVED this, and I could have used it to legitimise gaming to the handful of people I know who still think that video games are nothing but sprawling kill-'em-ups...

The_root_of_all_evil:
I feel a song coming on

Heh. I was trying to remember what that song was a week or so ago.

On topic, Afrika looks like a game that I'm happy to have out. Not because I'd enjoy it myself, but because it's expanding the scope of gaming as a whole.

i may get it for those lazy days where driving around looking at pretty animals is just the thing.

It looks like a game I could enjoy, sadly I don't have a PS3. And I'd probably really really want to get... uh... perceptionally adjusted when I played it.

Also, Toto rocks!

I know so many people here in the UK who would get this game... myself included.
Why in the lords name they can't just make a PAL version is beyond me.

Virgil:

Mariena:

Also, the giraffes and zehbra.

and also the remix

I know this is really shallow of my, but I just can't get over how bland the game looks when compared to Far Cry 2.

Hmm, looks like just the thing to tide me over on lazy Saturday afternoons. May get it, then.

hehe, i loved Pokemon Snap because of well... the hidden secrets, the million dollar shot you could only take in one split seccond and the different tools you could use to interact with the wild life, but this sounds like a little bit too realistic (in some sense)... perhaps iŽll give it a try

Looks like a great game for relaxation. And photography buffs.

It's from Natsume, the company that gave us the great Harvest Moon experience.
Looking on how much craze is now going on around FarmVille - the genre is not so niche after all.

Looks really fun! Too bad it's PS3 exclusive.

HentMas:
hehe, i loved Pokemon Snap because of well... the hidden secrets, the million dollar shot you could only take in one split seccond and the different tools you could use to interact with the wild life, but this sounds like a little bit too realistic (in some sense)... perhaps iŽll give it a try

Definitely very realistic. You can see a bit of my run-in with the elephant in the video. He was just chilling in the stream, there, and I was creeping up to try and snap a nice, close picture of him, when he turned his head and looked right at me. Very intimidating, and very awesome. I stupidly took another step toward him, and that, as they say, was that. :P

Looks... relaxing. Actually the video review made me want to play it more than the intro suggested I might. But the Meer cat shot had a bush behind it, negating the contrast element.

that game looks agonizingly painful to play

I was wondering when they'd release this dang game.
*adds to amazon buying list*

Seen 'em.
Shot 'em.
Eaten 'em.
Been there, done that in Africa.

It looks interesting, but it might not be my kind of photography games, as I don't find wildlife photography that interesting. If it would have been about war photography, it could have clicked with a much broader audience (but it would be great if it was made with the help and testimonials of actual war photographer such as James Nachtwey).

P.S: Good job, Susan. It's always a pleasure to read your reviews.

It seems odd that more wasn't invested in the visuals. It's exceptionally bland-looking, and the animation is fairly dreadful - surely if the main aim is to take pictures you want to be able to take pictures of something that looks half decent?

Very nice review. Looks fun. But no PS3 for me

Mariena:

I know it's from a Weebl video but Tigers are found in Asia only.

Kilo24:

On topic, Afrika looks like a game that I'm happy to have out. Not because I'd enjoy it myself, but because it's expanding the scope of gaming as a whole.

Agreed! Glad to see it out, but I'd prefer Brutal Legend where I can ride the animals (even tho it's totally fake, and this game does look incredibly realistic).

The_root_of_all_evil:
I feel a song coming on

hey Root, I know I just got finished lecturing about poodlerock in the REO Speedwagon thread, so this might come as a surprise. I was surprised too, but I really enjoyed that song just now, never listened to the whole thing. Thanks for posting it. but it's totally not metal!!! ;)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here