A View From the Road: Unreasonably Dedicated

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

A View From the Road: Unreasonably Dedicated

PC gamers, it's time we got the hell over ourselves.

Read Full Article

Y'know, I wouldn't really mind it if IW had spent LESS effort in making MW2 for the PC. I mean, we are the smallest group, and therefore deserve the least amount of effort. However, it seems to me they have gone out of their way to create a system (IW.net) which will be detrimental to the experience of most players.

Great article Funk.
The attitude of PC gamers reminds me of the children in Wal-Mart crying to their parents as loud as they can until they get what they want. They must have everything and they won't admit that they aren't the center of the Universe.

While my PC usually has a massive crashing problem that is being addressed right now, I am actually a pretty big PC gamer, and the attitude of other PC gamers makes me ashamed to say it.
The PC has it's high points and it's low points, some games work better on a PC and some don't it's just a fact that PC gamers are going to have to get use to.

CantFaketheFunk:
Now, by all means, return to your regularly scheduled protests, but remember that the most powerful protest tool at your disposal is your wallet. If it infuriates you so much, don't buy the game. Don't be a tool and pirate it - that just gives developers more reason to flee the PC platform entirely - but a refusal to purchase will speak louder than angry internet rants ever could.

But whatever you do, just ... lose the attitude. You're making the rest of us look bad.

Great way to end the article right there.

So he's basically saying "Yeah, it sucks that MW2 won't have dedicated servers or other features, just don't be so pretentious about it?" I guess I agree, although I understand why people are getting so angry. Like he said, PC gaming isn't a dominant market, so the outnumbered PC gamers feel like they need to be loud to be heard, even if it comes off as whiny.

And like Nimbus said, it's not like they're paying less attention to a smaller market. They are specifically changing the PC multiplayer system from what it used to be to something almost universally considered inferior. Infinity Ward and Activision are two video game giants. Many feel that they will open the gateway for more developers dropping dedicated servers, perhaps changing the face of PC gaming as we know it.

Yaaaay! Broad generalizing statements piling an entire group of gamers into the same insulting label! Great work! [/sarcasm]

There are douchebags and idiots on all gaming platforms and PC is no exception. Singling out PC gamers and saying they should "get over themselves" and such is just plain hypocritical. Also, just stating "PC gamers" implies all of them. This in turn likely means that the person who is using the term in such a broad sense is likely the one who needs to "get over himself".

I can see where the sense of entitlement comes from: a good gaming pc costs about twice as much as the new consoles at their launch prices. That's even if you build it yourself. So I can see, after spending that much money, how you would want to get better treatment just like someone who pays more to get into the vip section. Unfortunately that extra money spent on hardware doesn't go to the developers so the sense is misplaced.

However, I think pc gamers in this case are losing sight of what's important. Is the experience really going to change (be any lesser) because it wont have dedicated servers? They aren't depriving the game of content like some other companies do to their pc versions.

As much as I like the sentiment, I don't know why you'd bother writing a two page article on it.

On the contrary, I believe comapnies SHOULD be working with PC gamers, as opposed to taking things in a way that displeases the masses. Sure it may be simpler for those perhaps unfamilier with multiplayer, but whats wrong with offering both?
PC gamers do feel a certain sense of superiority, because whilst there may be immature rants going on at the moment, they have given a lot back. Valve sees this, which is why it offers it mod tools and DLC for free, and works with gamers to make the most of its product. By somewhat rudely dismissing the opinions of its perhaps most devoted audience (as seen in some of the recent interviews) Infinity is not following suit. It's early days yet for the company, and perhaps in a few months, rights will be wronged, or maybe everyone will shut up about the whole thing, but too much snubbing of PC owners could lead to concequences, and that is very unlikely to be increased console sales.

This article basically addressed my feeling with logic and well-constructed arguments when I would have just called the PC gamers in question "dicks."

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, we (that is PC Gamer's) helped create the CoD Franchise, in a way, we bought the first 2, the amazing games that they were (and they were amazing), they weren't even out for the console, we supported Infinity Ward in those year's, our platform alone, I don't have exact number's for CoD 4, but i'd presume that more PC copies were sold that Console copies. Why do I make this assumption? Because by this time, CoD was an established franchise on the PC, whereas it had one game out on the console, which was Treyarch if I remember correctly, so we'll leave them out of the equation.

So, when the sequel to CoD 4 comes out, a series that i've been playing for longer than the 360 and PS3 have been available, and Infinity Ward decide to pander to the console brigade, and take away the thing's that make PC Gamer's unique. Thats the main problem here, not a sense of entitlement, but the fact that after everything that we as a collective put into making the CoD brand what it is, they try to change the way that we play the game's. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Dedicated Server system that most PC Game's use, any issue's with connection's will be there for P2P, probably moreso because now we cannot pick the best ping server for us.

Just to go back to my original point in this, the problem is not a sense of entitlement, its the fact that the PC Community feel's that Infinity Ward has turned there back on us, after everything we did for them in the early day's, they've run off with there new hip friend's, the 360 gang. It's exactly the same as happened and is still happening with the Wii, it's pandering to casual gamer's, and the "hardcore gamer's", if such a term can be used for the Wii, feel left out, and dejected, by a company that they helped support by buying the Gamecube, Mario series etc.

Infinity Ward turned there back on PC Gaming, on the thing's that made us unique from the console's, and people won't just forget that.

I'd just like to say thanks for this article. I'm a PC gamer, and have been for all of nearly 20 years now. Sure, I've got a PS3 with a few (<15) games, and a Wii with very few (2) games; but it's the PC that's my home. From World of Warcraft, with over 67 1/2 days played time across my characters, to the 183 games in my Steam list, to the dozens of games I have from D2D, EA Store, all the way to the dark ages when I used to buy games in boxes (3 5' shelves stacked full)...

And nothing annoys me more than people thinking that because PC gaming 'started' all this, it should be the key brand. Did you hear that about the Amiga? The Commodore? The Spectrum? The Atari? What about the Arcades?

Sure, it's annoying when a half-baked port is developed, and you just know that with a little care and attention, something great could have flourished; but still, there is no need for the elitist attitude. So thanks for coming out and saying what I've been feeling for a while - sure, there are (many) reasons to say that taking away dedicated servers is a bad thing, but let's not get sidetracked by the whole PC-vs-Consoles issue...

It seems like already people are flaming this article. Strange, because it touches on a very real issue that people really can't deny, and it's very well constructed and true.

For those of you who can't understand, he is not saying all pc gamers are like this, just that there are many, and I mean MANY, that act like this. Don't argue against him, because there is a lot of truth in his words. He is one of the most intelligent writers I've seen in a long time and he deserves respect.

Sucking-up over.

The main problem is that now everyone else will follow suit.

Whilst the smugness you mentioned is (naturally) present in some PC gamers, I feel that most of us want the game to have the features that should be standard. Customisable key-binding, graphics options, higher resolutions are pretty much standard for a PC port (and CoD is a port nowadays), but is it really that hard to include something that's been present in all the previous games?

The L4D2 match-making is a pain in the arse, and that's just with the demo at peak times, nevermind what it's going to be like when people have gone out and bought it. The only reason I feel its used in L4D2 is because it's the only real way to sought it out, but it's a co op game, not a multiplayer.

At the end of the day, a system that works better and has been incorporated with no complaints before should be left in when the other option is worse.

It's not a mis-placed sense of entitlement (for the most of us), because we're the ones buying the game. Just because we have the smallest sales of each platform is irrelevant. They're still sales.

Good article though, great read.

I get that PC gamers should vote with their wallets. I don't want to see the piracy excuses rolled out by anyone (on either side).

However, if people want to be vocal, let them be vocal about it. We shouldn't necessarily be expected to just sit back and shrug when things like this occur.

And for the record, I'm not a COD fan, never played any of them and won't be buying MW2 either.

I just feel that the best way to change things is to act both vocally and financially. If you just withhold money, the company knows it hasn't appealed to you in some way. With added explanation, it helps show why.

I'm not buying the game at this point, so I don't really care anymore.

But just to clarify:

GonzoGamer:
They aren't depriving the game of content like some other companies do to their pc versions.

Yes, they are.

They've gotten rid of the ability to use mods (Not to mention that the max player count is 9v9 now), removing dozens of hours worth of play time and free content. As a matter of fact, the Nazi-Zombies mode in COD:WAW was inspired by a zombie mod for Modern Warfare.

oneplus999:
As much as I like the sentiment, I don't know why you'd bother writing a two page article on it.
-imagesnip-

Please don't do this.

OT: I am a hybrid. A PC gamer and a console gamer. Therefore I get the best of both worlds. However if there is something I cannot abide, it is PC gamers being, as you say, "elitist". It drives me up the wall. So yes, with all due respect, PC gamers need to grow up a little.

But. What if IW are doing this to pioneer making games equal for all platforms? I would quite like for that to happen as I'm not one for modding.

Just thought i'd post this, for people who still think this is "just about the dedicated servers"

Only one problem here, they spent more money developing IW Net then they would have simply putting in a listen server for dedicated's. They hope to recupe that (and then some) in what most likely will turn out to be map pack sales on IW Net.

huh, is that what all those people are pissed about, there are better things to get your knickers in a twist over, here i thought it was the 60 euro price tag, i have never really liked CoD's multiplayer, i may have played 10 matches on each game, but i love the single player campaign, and thus im a little ticked off that i now have to pay 20% more than i did for the other games because the multiplayer should make up for it*, which is a lame argument since Dragon Age cost 50 euro for 100+ hours and so do any other game out there.

*this is not something i got from any kind of reliable source but rather from the Internet in form of various blogs and threads.

Woodsey:
The L4D2 match-making is a pain in the arse, and that's just with the demo at peak times, nevermind what it's going to be like when people have gone out and bought it. The only reason I feel its used in L4D2 is because it's the only real way to sought it out, but it's a co op game, not a multiplayer.

Actually, I felt the L4D and L4D2 system was awesome. You had the benefit of just being able to click maybe twice and join a game right away (a few more clicks if you wanted something more specific), yet it still had all the benefits of dedicated servers, and if you had the IP then you could still access that server whenever you liked.

A fantastic article, although I would like to think of myself as one of the far more reasonable PC gamers. I still think IW is screwing us over, but I also believe everyone is screwing over the console gamers. After all, consoles are becoming more and more sophisticated and feature Hard-drive storage in the case of the PS3 and 360; as well as the ability to store and play various media files on them. There is less and less reason why consoles shouldn't be allowed to have dedicated servers too. There's little reason why they shouldn't have mods too. Not to mention, if someone was greifing, hacking or whatever, the players would be able to kick the person off the server or ban them rather than having to either put up with it, or leave and find another game entirely.

Why not make a system where you could get a plug-in and you now have access to dedicated servers? Why not allow mods for games? It's fairly trivial to transfer files between a PC and a games console, and consoles are becoming more and more capable. I'm all for equality across all platforms, but IW and iD are going in the wrong direction.

This might be because current-gen consoles aren't quite capable of it, but I'd hope that next-gen would be able to have the flexibility needed for this.

And Microsoft, you are ripping your customers off with this Gold Account subscription bullshit. The Wii, PS3 and PC are all free. Paying for DLC is fine, but paying to access something already right there in the game is a load of bull if you ask me.

Anyway, my point;
I don't believe that PC gamers are entitled to things over people who play on consoles. I think more effort should be done to allow people similar flexibility on the consoles. For those intimidated by it, they can just play the game as is. For those who endeavour for something more, they'd have all those benefits.

Of course, this is all probably just a pipe dream...

I decided a while ago that I would not buy this game for the PC or the Xbox until IW proves to me that IW.net is a significant improvement over dedicated servers. It's not like I hate IW now, I just want to make sure that bringing this system is a step in the right direction.

Here's my stance on this:

I don't care about Modern Warfare 2.

Thank you, this is exactly what I've been saying all along!

I like the article, however I can't really agree with it because it's only based on the MW2 protest. There's more to cover than the dedicated server issue and even then it stretches a little further than "we're not getting them".

As someone who used to play competative CoD4 alot, dedicated servers where the back bone of the scene.
Clans could have their own server, which they could lock and invite people into for friendies or ranked games or just have a practice session.
I'm curious to see how the competative scene will take to MW2 right now, simply because of the fact they can't do what was once so easy.
Without tools for modding too, basic comptetative setups like PAM are now out of the window.

As a CoD player, I'm not bothered about loosing the servers but as a competative player, my opinion would switch one hundered and eighty degrees the other way.
Had this article been based on something else, perhaps I'd agree a little more.

Baron Khaine:

Just thought i'd post this, for people who still think this is "just about the dedicated servers"

Thanks that picture just saved me a long rant.
_______

Funk I'll be blunt.

Would you be annoyed that a game on, lets just say 360 came out and they didn't use all of the tools on hand, and expected you to like it?

That's how PC gamers feel, we are perplexed as to why companies are not USING the tools at hand, instead every game feels like a downgraded port.

Just imagine every game you play as a crappier version even though, from a tech perspective is a superior console.

It's just madness, and people don't understand that our out cry is not justified. Think next about games, now that a big step to killing PC games has been taken? A game that (for the life of me I can't remember, it was mentioned in a escapist post) has taken away ( or mostly considered taking away) Dedicated servers, because Activision took the plunge.

PC gaming is going to die very much quicker do to Actvision, when in maybe 15 years time we will be joyed when Wii sports 982 plus is ported to the PC for 500 bucks ( Obvious exageration)

>_>

Oh yeah and mouse and keyboard For the win! :]

Spoken like a true gamer, well done, it was about time PC gamers realize that "THEY HAVE A REASON"

after all it is a company, not some fanboy pleaser

and yes, i love my PC and my Consoles just the same.

I think the rage comes not so much of a sense of entitlement over dedicated servers as for the fact that INFINITY WARD LIED BLATANTLY TO US, and waited until the last moment to throw the shitbombs, not to mention that they stole ideas from mods and don't even give them credit. That's where the attitude comes from.

And, frankly, I can't say I disagree. fourzerotwo has been a little bitch, and when reasonable questions in a calm manner have been presented to IW, they've responded by either "that breaks the balance" or "this is going to be better, so STFU".

Piracy?. Please, someone did an study this week, and pirates are only about 3-4% of the people playing COD4 right now in the net. Plus, you see the amount of piracy there has been for the 360 with MW2 this last week. ¿Are they getting punished for it?. No. The piracy argument has been BS for a long time.

Micropayments. That's what they want, and they'll say whatever thing that passes through their minds to justify it. They work on 3 or 4 maps, easy as pie, they put them out there at $10, and a million consolers buy them. Lots of profit with almost no work. Why not force PC gamers to do the same and buy them?. Also, if we don't let them make maps anymore they'll have even more need of new content. Mods are out, too!.

I'm not buying MW2, and I'm NOT losing the attitude. I feel it's more than justified. Perhaps it isn't, but in that case, fourzerotwo is doing a pisspoor job as PR head, sorry, creative strategist.

You know, if you think about it, he IS doing a really pisspoor job.

CantFaketheFunk:
What I don't understand - and what frankly has made me increasingly ashamed to call myself a PC gamer over the last few weeks - is the attitude. There is what seems to be a strong current of entitlement beneath it all, and the message from many of the protesters is clear: We deserve something above and beyond the call of duty (har har har) because we are PC gamers, and our platform of choice is special. In other words, "You owe us, Infinity Ward."

Wrong.

The message is: We (well, you: I play FPSes on the console where they belong, but that doesn't mean I can't have sympathy for my PC brethren) deserve exactly the same thing we've been getting all these years.

If you want to call that 'entitlement' (btw, I find it interesting to see a term--"entitlement"--that was used as a shorthand for all the ideas around it issue of male privilege working its way into common usage) that's fine: just don't attack a strawman in order to do so.

Personally, I don't see how it's 'entitlement' to ask a company not to start *taking away* features from a game. If PC gamers were complaining about consoles getting a feature in a sequel that was only available to the PC in the first game, that would be entitlement. When did it become 'entitlement' to complain about things being taken away from you? They got you to buy the original using that feature. Maybe you never would have bought the original game in the first place without that feature. This smacks of the whole 'first taste is free' mentality.

Now, by all means, return to your regularly scheduled protests, but remember that the most powerful protest tool at your disposal is your wallet. If it infuriates you so much, don't buy the game. Don't be a tool and pirate it - that just gives developers more reason to flee the PC platform entirely - but a refusal to purchase will speak louder than angry internet rants ever could.

Nope.

Refusing to buy the game is no different than piracy in this case: if enough people refuse to buy the game...guess what? That "gives developers more reason to flee the PC platform entirely" the same as piracy. Or at least, to justify taking out "graphics customization, text chat, and mouse & keyboard control" in the next game, using the same logic you are relying on to justify this reduction in features.

I mean, you say: "There's a difference between complaining about a PC title that is genuinely inferior to consoles (for a recent example, see multiplayer in Borderlands) and a PC version that's merely "not better enough."" Well, if you're asking the question: "what sense does it possibly make to allocate extra time, money, and manpower to their smallest fanbase" then why not ask the question: 'what sense does it possibly make to allocate EQUAL time, money, and manpower to their smallest fanbase'?

Just like the fact that you have a moral problem with piracy and not with boycotts doesn't mean they will have a different impact on the decisions of profit-driven corporations, the fact that you see asking for dedicated servers as an entitlement while asking for equal mulitplayer in Borderlands as justified will have no bearing on how companies behave.

paketep:
No. The piracy argument has been BS for a long time.

Piracy is the scapegoat being used to justify turning you all into console tards like me ;-D

Naturalized:

oneplus999:
-imagesnip-

Please don't do this.

Thank you for illustrating my point.

Funk, entitlement doesn't mean what you think it means.

Entitlement isn't even a word that applies in consumer culture. The entitlement argument could be an argument against piracy, but for someone who's shelling out $60 for the game, they are perfectly entitled to say we want a good game. If the dev was making it for free, and we complained, that would be entitlement.

In summation, you say dedicated servers are a good thing, but we paying customers are not entitled to them.

funk:
Gamers don't deserve good games

This isn't fucking altruism funk, the devs are getting payed for this, we give them our money, we are entitled to the best game they can make. That's the basic concept of capitalism.

Cheeze_Pavilion:
Personally, I don't see how it's 'entitlement' to ask a company not to start *taking away* features from a game. If PC gamers were complaining about consoles getting a feature in a sequel that was only available to the PC in the first game, that would be entitlement. When did it become 'entitlement' to complain about things being taken away from you? They got you to buy the original using that feature. Maybe you never would have bought the original game in the first place without that feature. This smacks of the whole 'first taste is free' mentality.

Couldn't have said it better.

Funk, I have to disagree with this article. Admittedly, PC Gamers like myself have been talking up a storm about Modern Warfare 2 these past two weeks, and yes, some of us whine more than we should. What I don't like, and Jandau said it well, is that the way you wrote the article makes it sound like PC gamers are the only ones who complain when something negative happens.

What it comes down to, and this is something I've been saying a lot lately, is that it is foolish and wrong to try and treat the PC audience the same as the console audience. Quite simply, they are entirely different consumer bases and as such have different expectations for their platform. For example, consoles have proven time and time again that matchmaking works just fine...for them. It has also been proven time and time again that matchmaking doesn't work on PC nearly as well.

This isn't "entitlement," these are standards.

As for the notion that console gamers should be aspiring to the same standards that are set by PC's, I think that's a bad idea. If you want what the PC has, get a PC. Ironically, the more consoles become like the PC, the more consoles lose their individuality and therefore their purpose. If you've got a console that can do everything a PC can...you don't have a console anymore; It's a PC.

vivaldiscool:

funk:
Gamers don't deserve good game

This isn't fucking altruism funk, the devs are getting payed for this, we are entitledto the best game they can make. That's the basic concept of capitalism.

....wow. 29 comments and most are like this. I took your post cause it was closest to the bottom of the page.

On the article. I loved the screaming whining part. Cause personally i have looked at the mother and Told her to Raise her child right lol. A firm hand makes a Firm Man lol.

first off, i find it funny that when pc gamers show this sense of entitlement everyone gets on their high horse about it, yet when console fanboys do it nothing is said. how about giving a similar discussion to the microsoft or sony fanboys? after all, they are MUCH more vocal than pc gamers are and they argue over even more trivial things than this.

now, im not saying that all the people (a small number of pc gamers by the way, but just as with console fanboys that small group is MUCH more vocal than the vast majority that just doesent give a damn) that said "iw owes us the world" are right or anything, but i fail to see the need for this article when nobody ever says anything about console people who do THE EXACT SAME THING.

second, while the pc version does sell fewer copies than console versions, the fact is cod4 sold well over 2 million copies, which at $50 a copy works out to over $100 million, which ISNT a small sum of money by anyones, save maybe bill gates and warren buffet, account. when you can make an extra hundred million by doing nothing other than making a simple port yet adding in things like dedicated servers, modding tools and the like, all things that cost LESS to implement than iw.net i might add, doing anything to the contrary is a stupid decision, especially when it causes this much of an uproar with the very dedicated and long standing community that the call of duty games have on the pc. this community i might add is the entire reason why cod1, 2 and 4 all still have very large, active communities.

my point here is this, this entire article is bashing those who have acted like assholes about the mw2 pc situation, but we NEVER see anything of the like for the console fanboys. where was the article denouncing ps3 gamers for all the bitching they did when square announced ff13 would come to the 360 or when konami announced mgs:rising for the 360? where were the articles when the 360 people were bitching about gears coming to the pc? they werent anywhere. why is it these articles are only necessary when pc gamers get a stick up their asses, but nobody ever says anything when console gamers do the same things?

the situations in both cases are exactly the same. here we have a small number of pc gamers crying "iw owes us the world", but that small group of people were much more vocal and said much more in more places than the people who were just pissed off but didnt fell that iw owes them anything other than a game that functions like pc games have since quake. its the same with console gamers, a very small but very vocal crowd, while the vast majority couldnt give two shits.

seriously, some people are just assholes with a large sense of entitlement, while most just want to play good games. why does everyone feel a need to chime in when they dont agree with this small group?

as everyone is so keen to say when it comes to console fanboys, just ignore them and get one with your lives.

as a final note to avoid anyone saying this, i dont give a shit about the mw2 thing. cod4 sucked in my opinion and ive had no interest in mw2 ever, so dont come chiming in saying im just another pissed off pc gamer with an over active sense of entitlement.

Baron Khaine:
snip'd image

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up.

Not like I was going to buy the game anyway, but this is the kind of thing people don't realize. It's not the "Oh, it's not better than the console versions. That's bullshit."

It's "You had already given us this, this, this, and that for the past 8 years in various other games, and now you take it away. Why?"

It just seems like developers look at history of console games when looking for standards for their new games. Which is fine, when developing for consoles. When looking at a PC version of something, they should look at other popular PC franchises when looking for features to include.

Personally, I don't give a damn about this game at all, so I don't mind. I get the feeling that people will have an entertaining multiplayer experience anyway, even without the features that they want. I get the feeling that this game will take off and sell fine anyway, and in the future, maybe we won't have dedicated server support for anything. That's kinda terrible, but hey, maybe there will be an interface that's good enough that the players will manage to enjoy anyway.

Long story short, I just mean to say that all this bitching is going to do nothing. Things will change anyway.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here