Review: Tekken 6

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Tekken 6

It's Tekken as you know it, for better or for worse.

Read Full Article

Wait...there's a dragon?
This raises a question: why would they add any more characters?
I know I'd only use the giant purple dragon. Ever.

Good review, Funk!
I think I'll rent it during Thanksgiving.
I miss kicking my brothers around.
Onscreen, that is.

Should that Dragon not be... oh I don't know....
...IN A RPG!!!

In all honesty, Tekken is a game that should stop pretending it has a storyline. The storyline simply makes characters that could be awesome thoroughly unlikable. Alisa, or as I like to call her "Chainsaw Barbie", is the best example of a character that is uniquely awesome in design and irritatingly worthless in characterization. Nothing ruins an awesomely hot, combat gynoid like a sterotypical anime personality.

The core fighting is fairly typical for Tekken though. You hit a button to punch or kick, you combine buttons and D-pad to do more impressive stuff. Getting the moves to flow is the hard part and if I can't do it by now, I doubt I ever will. I much more prefer 2d fighters to be honest. I think having a Z-axis to worry about just complicates things and 3d fighters lack the hadouken tossing charm of the old 2d model.

I wish I had just rented this game, I feel like I wasted $60 buying it. I don't even go online with it, because people either kick my ass or ragequit when they lose, which seems to be par for the course for online fighters. But I must say that Tekken 6 does have it's charm. Practically everything Alisa does in the actual fighting part of the game is quite cathartically hilarious and has provided me with quite a few amusing screenshots. Maybe I'll share them someday if I feel like it.

Gotta be better than Tekken 5. I didn't much care for that at all.

the dragon makes no sense, and is just annoying to fight against.
Not challenging , just frustrating to the bone.
selecting costume pieces is really annoying because of loading times.
single player story is annoying to unlock.

other then those things, the 1 VS 1 fights against friends feels really well done, and keeps me addicted to the game.
basically, every thing that is/was good, they are good at now, everything that is new is really bad.

I quit following the storyline after Heihachi threw Kazuya into the volcano, then made a deal with the devil to become devil so he could live, only to come back and have his ass re-thrown into the same volcano, then only to be resurrected by G-Corp by genetic testing- christ, this shit is bananas to explain, I just wanna be the crap out of everyone with Heihachi :)

I'm gonna have to get this, looks pretty good.

I have to admit, I never really got into the Tekken series on a long-term basis. Back in the day I used to play it a lot when Tekken 3 was the hot shit. I even got into it to the point where I tracked-down the first two games so I could see a bit more of the series' history, but as I played more and more fighting games, Tekken started to feel more and more bland. It just felt, to me, like the game was more about making the fights look flashy and less about having an interesting fighting system.

After trying Tekken 4 at a friend's house and finding that my primary two characters had completely different moves lists, I just stopped caring. It wasn't worth it to completely re-learn the game when I was having more fun with other fighters anyways.

Anyone else think Bob looks like Coop from Megas XLR?

the giant crystal dragon can enter the martial art tournament so long as it has the same hit box as everyone else :P

XD

DTWolfwood:
the giant crystal dragon can enter the martial art tournament so long as it has the same hit box as everyone else :P

XD

It's freaking huge, man. If it has the same hitbox as everyone else he'll be unbeatable.

Just a question though, Mr. Funk, is there a reason you didn't show Nancy? It would have shot the ridiculousness factor past 11 if you did.

Hahaha... Damn you Air Bud!

Damn. I want a giant purple crystal dragon now...

Syntax Error:

It's freaking huge, man. If it has the same hitbox as everyone else he'll be unbeatable.

Just a question though, Mr. Funk, is there a reason you didn't show Nancy? It would have shot the ridiculousness factor past 11 if you did.

so what are u saying he is easier to hit <.< if thats the case how is it fair to the giant crystal dragon XD

DTWolfwood:

Syntax Error:

so what are u saying he is easier to hit <.< if thats the case how is it fair to the giant crystal dragon XD

I've seen people beat him in the arcades in these here parts. If he had a smaller hitbox, he'd be harder to hit and the fight with him will be more unnecessarily difficult. If he's immune to juggles and stagger attacks, well, that's a different story altogether.

johnx61:
In all honesty, Tekken is a game that should stop pretending it has a storyline. The storyline simply makes characters that could be awesome thoroughly unlikable. Alisa, or as I like to call her "Chainsaw Barbie", is the best example of a character that is uniquely awesome in design and irritatingly worthless in characterization. Nothing ruins an awesomely hot, combat gynoid like a sterotypical anime personality.

I agree. I was mystified with the characters and settings of blazeblue, until it was ruined for me in single player.

Fighting games should not have a story.

More of the same, got it.

johnx61:

I think it would be cool if a long-running series like Street Fighter or Tekken or Virtua Fighter Acknowledged in-game that the story was nonsense and just had a ridiculous parody story. At some point some people would be fighting, then it urns out that the villain got the heroes confused and other ridiculous things would keep happening. You could even have one of those relationship maps, but have it be just a jumble of arrows labled with nonsense.

randommaster:

johnx61:

I think it would be cool if a long-running series like Street Fighter or Tekken or Virtua Fighter Acknowledged in-game that the story was nonsense and just had a ridiculous parody story. At some point some people would be fighting, then it urns out that the villain got the heroes confused and other ridiculous things would keep happening. You could even have one of those relationship maps, but have it be just a jumble of arrows labled with nonsense.

SNK has sort of done that with its King of Fighters games. One of the most notable (to me at least) examples was SNK Gals Fighters, featuring SD-versions of a bunch of female KoF fighters and a cross-dressing Iori Yagami as the boss.

hURR dURR dERP:

randommaster:

johnx61:

SNK has sort of done that with its King of Fighters games. One of the most notable (to me at least) examples was SNK Gals Fighters, featuring SD-versions of a bunch of female KoF fighters and a cross-dressing Iori Yagami as the boss.

What I want to see is someone swearing vengeance against the final boss because they killed their mother/father/whatever, only to have the boss point out that they are that person, and that they saw each other that morning.

Bleah. I'll take Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution and Dead or Alive: Ultimate, thank you very much. I've yet to see a 3D fighter come out which rivals either of those games. People laugh about Team Ninja's shameless pandering to male audiences, but at least the story in Dead or Alive kinda sorta almost makes some sense. I mean, for the first few installments, anyway.

King of Fighters is still the best fighting games series for story.

Dark Templar:

I agree. I was mystified with the characters and settings of blazeblue, until it was ruined for me in single player.

Fighting games should not have a story.

BlazBlue's story line was the best part of the game, I was in awe.

It sucks imo compared to Tekken 5/Tag/3.

Why? Because Azazel is nigh-undefeatable and fighting Alisha on scenario... she's was absolutely-fucking-useless as an ally, now she's zippy little mecha-death-ninja.

Multiplay sucks aswell, but that's my nets.

I bought it on Sunday after some trade-ins (cost me $2), I think I'll trade it - for a dvd of Bloodsport.

Chong Li! Chong Li! Chong Li!

Oh no!

Kangaroo Jack just got KO'ED!

I know I want it but I don't think it's worth me buying a PS3 for it... unless it has an online mode...

There's nothing in the rulebook that says a giant crystal dragon can't play wide receiver.

Wait.

To me, it's still an awesome Tekken game. But Azazel is like playing against the CPU in Tekken 2. Or even the first Tekken! I-Can't-Believe-How-Hard-This-Is setting on Tekken 6 is the Easy from the first Tekken.

I have to admit that i have never been a fighter fan of sorts the fighter style of gaming and this game seem to give me all the points that i need to never buy it tahnk you

Is it just me or is this game incredibly slow paced? Compared to games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat it seems awkwardly slow.

It's pretty nice. The fighting is almost like in tekken 5, better graphics , but the story mode...wow...I find it horrible, that target system is retarded, I have no idea what's going on and I don't see the reason for fighting the stage bosses (like when you meet Wang , the dialogue is like this : Me: "You're..." | Wang: "Speak with your fists" | Me: "If I must" , and so we start fighting.
It's good to play with friends in VS mode. That's about it for me.

Nothing could ever beat Tekken 2...

"Director! I'd like to put a purple crystal dragon in the game!!"

"I dunno... It doesn't seem very... you know ... *Tekken*."

"....that shoots lasers from its eyes."

"It's IN!"

I pretty much gave up on the serries after Jin sprouted wings like a emo fairy and some bear showed up to avenge his sensei.

Ben Legend:
Should that Dragon not be... oh I don't know....
...IN A RPG!!!

you just discovered the secret mode, drats, and they tried to hide it sooo well.

So, they had the bear and kangaroo come back, but what about the wooden doll man/woman that was basically just a random fighting style chosen for the match? and then they add a DRAGON? please tell me there isnt an online feature, I can hear the 10 year old now yelling "FUCK YOU, IM A DRAGON!"

First off both Kuma/Panda (bear) and Roger (boxing kangaroo) have been in the game since Tekken 2 so they are no big surprise. Second I don't like the fact that all reviews i see of this game accuses it of being just like the old Tekken games. I guess that for most people the differences are perhaps not all THAT notable but they have changed the spacing, combo damage and juggles totally, not to mention the wall splat timing and stuff like that. For a player that spends enough time to learn how the game works, rather than just swatting a sweaty palm across the buttons in hopes that cool things will ensue, there have been a lot of changes. But like i said, it's not evident for players who just don't give a hoot about the actual workings of the game and just want to have fun with their friends, you really have to play seriously to see it. Oh and i'm not insinuating that it's wrong to not have the patience and time it takes to really get in to Tekken, i just think it's unfair to say that it's still the same old game.

Also Azazel (the dragon) isn't playable, it's just the end boss. And he is ridiculously easy to beat.

I agree with you John. I think it is Air Bud's fault for giving them the idea to let a crystal dragon join a martial arts tournament. Good Review by the way.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here