Guitar Hero: Rock Opera

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Guitar Hero: Rock Opera

Yahtzee Croshaw re-invents the rock opera, Guitar Hero style.

Read Full Article

That was a funny read :)

Yeah, pretty funny Yahtzee.

Dear,Yahtzee,i did not like that video. Not because you shat on America. But because it wasn't bloody funny! Humour of ZP comes not from dick jokes - it comes from surreal visuals accompaniying them and talking really really fast. Though i suppose you know that better than everyone,since you kinda created it.

As for your idea,it's brilliant. Just brilliant. I also thought that you should be able to use Guitar Hero/Rock Band controller for Brütal Legend's guitar solos. That actually sounds even better than Brütal Legend's gameplay - not just drive around,but rock every time you want!

And drummer joke was hilarious. Just sayin'.

Sounds like the gameplay would be kind of spastic/chaotic.

Whats the point of having a rhythm game when you are going to play like 30-45 seconds of a song (depending on how long it takes to kill an enemy)?

However, it's a really good concept. Really good.

That is probably the first game that would make me say "I need a next-gen console."

If done right, that would be a great game.

You should use the motion sensor (at least the Wii guitar should have one) to let people go Knorkator with the guitar and smash things directly as an emergency measure (e.g. a full circle swing to knock all nearby enemies back but it wears your guitar down and if you use it too much the guitar breaks).

I'd buy that, and i have never bought a rythum game in my life

Huh, I'd buy that. Get on it Actimonix.

I would totally buy that, but only if Therion and NEXT were in it.

Kollega:
Dear,Yahtzee,i did not like that video. Not because you shat on America. But because it wasn't bloody funny! Humour of ZP comes not from dick jokes - it comes from surreal visuals accompaniying them and talking really really fast. Though i suppose you know that better than everyone,since you kinda created it.

In the words of Yahtzee himself "There's a little more to it than that!"

This is what Brütal Legend should have been more like. Not that RTS stuff.

Holy freakin' christ. Call up Tim Schafer right now, because I smell a brutally awesome DLC in the works. Brutal Hero....or Guitar Legend...Or Brutal legendary guitar legend of brutal hero-ness...of legend. Yis.

I'd play it, this sounds like a damn good idea for a game!

That sounds like possibly the most awesome game/idea/thing ever. I wopuld actually play that, and enjoy it.

KDR_11k:
You should use the motion sensor (at least the Wii guitar should have one) to let people go Knorkator with the guitar and smash things directly as an emergency measure (e.g. a full circle swing to knock all nearby enemies back but it wears your guitar down and if you use it too much the guitar breaks).

Yahtzee does not promote the Wii in any shape or form. Thus I predict ruin for your Yahtzee inspired Wii game.

I'd buy this. But the controls would have to be refined the point of insanity for it to be a viable game (granted the whole "strum notes" idea doesn't need polishing but the combat would); the control scheme is too unconventional to allow any sort of mishap.

I'd rent it

Hey Yahtzee, I thought you didn't like the sandboxiness trend in games?

Anyway, it would be even cooler if the non-"play a specific song/soundtrack" parts of the game (like driving and stuff) also were rhythm-based. Not sure how exactly, but sort of like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3mRAg_f9LI
or this:
http://www.shadegrowngames.com/2009/11/planck_v0_is_headed_to_the_201.html

Wow, I had the same concept idea when I found out about brutal legend.

Cept the hero was a guitarist who believed he was the new Jimi Hendrix and was struck down for his arrogance and brought to rock heaven where he would battle his way to prove his stuff.

In the end he would die and be sent to Emo Hell to become their king, bring them Rock n Roll, and wage war against the Rock Titans in the sequel.

But agree with the guitar controller is a nice dust collector. I'm getting tired of the classic Guitar Hero set up.

I'd be interested in it if it was made. Possibly enough to go buy some Guitar Hero controllers. That would probably defeat the purpose of "more than one use for the plastic guitar," though, since I don't have any of the other games.

It's not a bad idea y'know. I mean you can only push the "Simon Says" gameplay idea so far before it becomes stale and that stage was about six Guitar Hero games ago. However - Yahtzee I'm surprised. The combat portion of the game seems like, (to me,) a series of flashy quick-time events, (although it probably looks a lot different in your head than it does mine.) Then again if you were to look at Guitar Hero games in a narrow and cynical way you could say tha the game is quick-time events, where instead of "Press X to not die" is "Press # then # and then #, # and # to not suck, be booed off stage and made to feel like a failure."

I remember when I first saw the trailer for Guitar Hero 2--a guitarist was playing his guitar ontop of a van as a meteor raced towards the Earth. Playing the song "Woman" by Wolfmother, he managed to zap the meteor and stop it from destroying the earth.

When I saw that, I always thought the games would take place by having epic battles against monsters or whatever while playing rock songs. You know, Guitar HERO. But no, instead, I was amazed to find just a normal stage. Of course I was way more distracted by the game being awesome and quickly forgot.

Reading this--this is what Guitar Hero should have been like in the first place. Screw emulating rock stars, no one cares about pretending to be a regular (albeit, loose definition of "regular") human. We should be on top of skyscrapers beating the crap out of Godzilla and Cthulu at the same time by playing awesome rock songs.

Damn yahtzee thats got to be the best idea since jesus grew a beard. Youve got me sold!!!

Anyone else finding this Yahtzee guy to be getting old? I mean, is he even funny anymore?

You'll regret putting it on the internet.

Activision may now steal this idea and make it into their own game. And you will be left in the gutter with all us other uncreative losers.

I suck at rhythm games, and do not want to see them infesting more of the gaming space than they already do. Interesting concept though, I wouldn't mind seeing it in an more formal design document than an angry nerd rant. If I were designing this game I would have the top of the van guitar playing segments act like a recruitment phase, where the quality of your play affects the number of loyal fans (hit points) you can afford to loose during the combat phase. Of course this wanders back into the RTS territory Yahtzee hates so much.

That actually sounds really freakin sweet. I would totally buy that game (the pre-order should come with a free sweet-yahtzee hat) and play the hell out of it, oh and yahtzee should to the voice over for the tutorial, just to fuck with people, can you imagine yathzee explaining the control scheme in his lightning-fat-thick-acscented voice? It'd be funny as hell watching people try to catch what he's saying.

Though when you said guitar hero rock opera, i was thinking like, have like little cutscene's the bring you through the basic story of a movie (like tenacious D and the pic of destiny) and then you play the songs chronologicly, each movie would represent a teir, so it's like watching a shortened version of the movie, but you get to play all the songs. You could do movies like tenacious D,....um... A Hard Days Night, Repo the genetic opera, HELP! Across the universe..........The Producers? Okay obviously you'd have to find some good music movies to fill it in, but the concept...well it makes sence

Eh your ideas better anyways, mines just a thought.

BEST VIDEO GAME IDEA EVERRRRRRRRRRRR!

Reminds me of Yahtzee's short story 'the Spirit of Rock'. Sounds fun, but the van-driving seems a bit stiff to me.

I think this might get me to buy a next gen... that's amazing, unless it was on PC then forget the console I need to find a bluetooth guitar

spikenog:
Anyone else finding this Yahtzee guy to be getting old? I mean, is he even funny anymore?

Dunno 'bout you, but I still find him funny.

That would actually make a good game, provided the developers know what the hell they're doing. It's what Brutal Legend should've been, really...

It would be so awesome. Finally, something to do with all the pieces of plastic like yourself, just sitting in a cabinet not doing much most of the time...

Make most of the investment, lol. I'd certainly dabble in it, at least for the sake of justifying the price of the instruments.

Yahtzee, that genuinely sounds amazing. The Boss fight combat sounds like it needs a little work, and I want to hear more about what the missions and side quests would involve. I'd like to think it would be more than 'combat' or 'play GH song', but I can't really think of much else. All the same, this definitely sounds like a great idea.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here