Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Eh, I still think its a good game due to the fact that it sets a standard for storytelling that all games should in my opinion be attempting to meet. Nevertheless, hilarious review as always.

I liked the nod to Dragon Age at the end, I hope we can assume that will be in the coming weeks, also still would love to hear Borderlands get ripped apart. Boring overrated pos

Nice, way to cut through the pretty graphics hype.

Graphics are good and in a tie with Killzone 2 in displaying the PS3s capabilities. Gameplay--we've been there and done that. Animations were at best average among games: repetitive, stilted, and uninteresting. The story was good only if you think National Treasure was high cinema. Overall a silly and forgettable game. We see it falling off the charts already and it will be gone in another month or two.

Carnagath:
That was quite a forced bashing, and felt like it too. Yeah, it's a pop corn game in the same sense that Aliens is a pop corn action movie, but they are both classics in their own field. This game is the most fun ride I've had with an action game since...well, I can't even remember, and it does deserve all the praise it's getting in my opinion.

Apparently it doesn't matter if you enjoy the game.

Mr. Reviewer has spoken and his herd of blind followers hoot and squeek in agreement.

duchaked:

HUBILUB:

duchaked:

RAND00M:

stiver:
Man definitely going to skip this.
Good looking games have never been the reason to get it. Bad gameplay is best avoided.

boring concepts.

Im gonna guess that you're one of those people that take his reviews seriously.

I'm gonna guess that you're a PS3 owner?

What's with this prejudice? Are you going to accuse him of being a fanboy now?

no! =) I am acknowledging some level of heightened emotions (an observation really)
I own a PS3 anyway
but really I just found the comment on Yahtzee a bit unwarranted (I can almost agree with the arguments there, but it's all in how you say it)

I can sense those emotions too, and it's mostly because people are saying that they're passing up on a game based on a review from YAHTZEE! I know that Yahtzee is entitled to his opinions, but the only thing he did in the review was to pick on the bad things (I'm not complaining at him at all, it's his job and it's fun) but that makes everyone who hasn't played the game think it's flawed and starts to criticize it.

I don't hate Yahtzee, I love the man (almost in a gay way) but I hate some of his stupid fans that don't take the things he says with a grain of salt. It's like when he bashed Halo 3, now everyone loves to bash that game. I'm not saying this as a sony fanboy, but as an Uncharted 2 fanboy, because I loved that game.

Fanboy-spasm over. Sorry if I caused you any emotional distress ;)

Uhm... waiting for something to come around that matters... and then comes Dragon Age? Come on Yathzee... where did your taste go. That's not something to wait for... that's something to pummel and tear :P

Hmm, I think Yahtzee's scorn is undercut somewhat by him admitting last week that he actually enjoyed the game. He did bring the bile though that's for sure.

Also haha at all the people who are going to pass up on this game because of what Yahtzee says. Why don't you roll over so he can stomp on the other side of your face. (Longtime viewers will get this statement.)

Odjin:
Uhm... waiting for something to come around that matters... and then comes Dragon Age? Come on Yathzee... where did your taste go. That's not something to wait for... that's something to pummel and tear :P

Just play it on easy and you can forget the travesty that is smacking your head on the pause button every second so you don't die instantly in normal and up. Makes the game actually a ton of fun. Unless you enjoy that sort of thing ;)

edit: But yeah, I'd say Assassin's Creed 2 is a much better thing to look forward to.

So he liked it then? Or at least had two sentences saying it was enjoyable, though unlike other reviews he hardly made a clear distinction.

He said it was standard, done-before stuff plus visuals that confuse him.
Woot, Dragon Age matters xD

lwm3398:
Damn. You know, my friend told me it was a great game, all cinematic and adventurous and sandbox-y... I was just gonna wait for a little confirmation.

Well, it seems I've saved sixty dollars.

Yes, screw trying the game yourself so you can form your own opinion.

Casual Shinji:

Carnagath:
That was quite a forced bashing, and felt like it too. Yeah, it's a pop corn game in the same sense that Aliens is a pop corn action movie, but they are both classics in their own field. This game is the most fun ride I've had with an action game since...well, I can't even remember, and it does deserve all the praise it's getting in my opinion.

Apparently it doesn't matter if you enjoy the game.

Mr. Reviewer has spoken and his herd of blind followers hoot and squeek in agreement.

OR... the "herd" actually agrees. I know I do. Good game (it deserves its praise), but it has its flaws like any other title. Mr. Reviewer says just that, but in a louder and more entertaining fashion.

Ultimately, ANYTHING can get picked apart if you just try.

I knew Yahtzee was gonna ripp Uncharted 2 to shreads, having in mind how much he loved the first one:D
It is even more funny considering that on Game Trailers people are writing hatemail and trolling any review becouse this game was rated 9.3, compared to Halo 3 or GTA4 (both were 9.8) it is really an abuse of the year toward fanboys:)
That's why I love Ben - he does not give a f*ck about the hype.

Nice review, Yahtzee. You're absolutely right - beautiful, but everything else is boring. I hope you make a CoD:Modern Warfare 2 review soon.

Spectrum_Prez:
He seems to have a problem with Uncharted 2 for being unoriginal, but then again, how many original games have there been in the last few years. When something like Mirror's Edge flops, he can criticize it for being overly ambitious, so there really is no pleasing him I guess.

He said Mirror's Edge was shit, but he did specfically praise it for being original.

LOL, good review. taking the piss out of gamespot= win.

This is what I love about zero punctuation. He can take a game I completely love and what seems to be near flawless in my opinion, and still rip it apart lol

I have to admit this is when I like Yahtzee the most: when I wholeheartedly disagree with each and every one of the points he's making but I still laugh at every joke in the review.

I don't really see how Drake is any worse of a charismatic hero than Indiana Jones himself and, to be honest, given the two takes on the exact same story, I'd take Uncharted 2 before Indiana Jones 4 any day. But yeah, if I have to disagree with a review, I'd rather disagree with this one and have a good time while I'm at it.

Now, if Yahtzee could get around to ripping Modern Warfare 2 a new one at some point in the near future, I'd be most pleased. If we're complaining about form over substance in videogames, I'd say that's a pretty large target right there.

HAHA buttery popcorn DOES smell a bit like piss. lol anyway I thought this one was a bit bland... I think this would have been a good review to have done something "different" (like castle Wolfinstien limerick) but then again you have been in the states so I'm sure that may have thrown yahtzee off schedule so I really shouldn't criticizes...

Wait I just had a realization... it's Compelling! HAHAHA! (ENN)

i may be reading to much into this but if he dosent reveiw DA:O next week ima be pissed

I never knew his chips on his shoulder were potato chips.. I find mine to be much less tasty and more aggravating.

Hopefully next week: Modern Warfare 2

"Something that matters" *Dragon Age leans into shot*

Does that mean we get a Dragon Age review next?
I do hope so..

We have no idea what he means by "game that matters" when referring to Dragon Age: Origins. Either its:

A. A multi-platform game that more people would have played.
B. A game he himself is interested in since we know he likes Western RPGs better.
C. NOT MODERN WARFARE 2!

As always Yahtzee has proven himself to have a terrible taste in games and i could not agree on one single thing.

Seems like that week 'off' was needed.
That was brilliant, I was laughing through the whole review.

Oh Yahtzee. You really have lost all sense of what it is to have fun while playing a game.

If this was a sandbox game with a side mission to wobble your giblets at the non-American Whites he'd lap this up. But because Uncharted 2's goal is recreate the cinematic feel of the first three Indie movies, (like how Tomb Raider tried to do thirteen odd years ago), it's automatically disposable.

Consider this - the concept might not be new, but then new isn't always good, (see Indie 4). Uncharted 2 is so incredibly well executed, and so much better so than National Treasure or any of the recent Tomb Raider games, that there's little point in comparing them as that would just prove that Uncharted has gone above and beyond the bar they set. the only apt comparison is to the original Indie films - and considering we can all sit through these films still after all this time, you pretty much have to say Uncharted 2 is an intsant classic.

And no mention of the multi-player? Tut bloody tut.

That was pretty funny. The series does kinda resemble Indiana Jones, doesn't it? Let's hope the threequal doesn't have aliens.

The national portrait gallery is shit, fuck that.

Sadly he doesn't talk about multiplayer because he feels like multiplayer is still a bi-thing for a game and that the singleplayer should be the main thing.

I liked the gamespot referance, yeah it was pretti much yatzhee standard now that foul sight of last weeks episode has passed.

lwm3398:
Damn. You know, my friend told me it was a great game, all cinematic and adventurous and sandbox-y... I was just gonna wait for a little confirmation.

Well, it seems I've saved sixty dollars.

This...kinda bugs me. Uncharted 2 actually is pretty good, and yahtzee admitted that in the review. He found one real game-play problem and his only other big criticism was that it didn't provide anything new. Trust me, you could get a lot worse than Uncharted 2.

Oh, and of course, taking video game purchasing advice from someone who is simply an entertainer, not a reviewer, seems dense. (p.s. Who the hell told you it was sandbox-y? It doesn't get much more linear than Uncharted 2.)

As for the video: Well done, laughed quite a bit at the "moving on to other, non-american, white people" joke. Noting the new cliches in the story was pretty great too(like the british villain, as anyone with a cool accent must be evil).

I will say, I don't think i ever ran into a problem with the cover system though, so I can't really see where that one is coming from.

OK, I admit, I was mostly drunk. But this episode was terribly funny.
Good job, tbh.

That is classic.

Another great review. However, when people leave messages saying "I'm not gonna buy this game now" got my attention. Yahtzee never said the game was "bad" so why not buy the game now?

Note: I understand the majority of people won't buy a game because they will find certain game features he has listed in his review annoying, but you cannot deny that some people out there will not buy a game b/c of what Yahtzee says. No, trolls I don't hate Yahtzee (I'm a fan just like you) I agree with his viewpoints a majority of the time and I respect his opinion/arguments b/c they're educated rather than personal derogatory remarks towards me or my mom (and if they are at least he's creative).

Now people should know that Yahtzee prefers to talk about the negatve aspects of a game. Again, he stated he didn't consider the game "bad" so people should not assume a game is bad from his words alone. (No, trolls I don't own Uncharted 1 or 2, I never even heard of it until I watched his video on Uncharted:Drake's Fortune.) He's a critic not a choir, therefore he won't sing praises alone about a game.

Instead he lists the negatives along with the positives so interested buyers may be able to consider a view point other than "Amazing" or that abused and depleted word "EPIC" used by many other game critics. (I know I've just stated the obvious with the majority, but thick people will start spamming me b/c they will only read the first 3 lines of this message and start the swearing.) To say "I'm not gonna buy this game now" because of what Yahtzee says is strange. If you buy a game and don't enjoy it you can always return it with your receipt. If your interested in a game a critic shouldn't dictate your choice of buying it or skipping it.

You have to make the choices yourself people.

Okay, now this was a little disappointing because I think I'm starting to sense some anti-uncharted bias on Yahtzee's part, or perhaps anti-Nathan Drake bias. I admit that the game isn't very original but the same can probably be said of most of the games in existence today so it seems to me that holding it against a game, at least in big way, is getting pointless and at least somewhat redundant. This is evidently something that alot of gaming websites understand. It seems that very little these days is truly original. No matter what you do the chances are someone has already done it before. Nowadays it seems to be about presentation and execution for the most part, both of which Uncharted 2 does a good job with. I know it's Yahtzee's style to point out everything that's wrong with a game but he really seems to go out of his way to knock Uncharted 2. Prototype's story and premise both largely rip off the Resident Evil franchise and who knows what else yet curiously this apparently escapes his attention for some reason. He doesn't really seem to acknowledge how Uncharted 2 improves upon it's predecessor in numerous ways such as there being no more random quick time events. I was also especially disappointed to see him still playing the race card even though most of the enemies in Uncharted 2 are white. He may knock Uncharted 2 for rehashing stuff but evidently that doesn't stop him from rehashing his old jokes. Furthermore, calling the ancient puzzles in the game "inexplicably functional" seems to be somewhat of a stretch. There are at least two instances of an ancient mechanism in the game breaking, thus forcing Drake to improvise perhaps most notably around the "Heart of Ice" chapter.

Also, while admittedly this isn't explcitly pointed out in the game's story Chloe Frazer is Australian, not British.

Of course he does admit that Uncharted 2 isn't a bad game and there are numerous good adjectives to describe it including the supposedly all-important one: immersive. But I get the impression that he does so rather reluctantly, perhaps practically kicking and screaming. I was hoping that after the travesty that was "Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls" he would be willing to cut Uncharted 2 a little slack for at least reminding people of what made Indiana Jones popular in the first place. But I guess Susan Arendt already has that covered.

For the record I am a PS3 supporter but I'm not like some Xbox fans who go out of their way to urinate on seemingly any and all PS3 Exclusives no matter what they are. There are at least a few Xbox games that I'm curious about such as Gears of War 2, Alan Wake, and Section 8. But nevertheless I probably won't be buying an Xbox because I'd really rather not have to deal with the relatively high risk of hardward issues, warranty stipulations, or the fact that Xbox games don't have the advantage of hard coating that makes PS3 games so resistant to damage.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here