Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

ianrocks6495:
I really liked Uncharted 2.. he doesn't have to bash every game for it to be funny, does he?

Yes. Unless the game is Portal, then he performs fellatio on it.

Nice review. Maybe it's cause I'm in a good mood, but it felt like "Old School" Yahtzee.

"Innocent defenceless mercenaries"
I can't say I'm sympathetic with that statement.

Yahtzee, you have quite the talent sir. *sgih* That was funny.

Great as usual Ben. I lolled hard at the Mother wall and Baby brick picture/analogy :)

To all those who decide whether to buy the game based on this review - get real. Trust the opinions of friends/forums/magazines who don't have 'I gotta be funny' as their main agenda.

Yhatzee's is only an opinion, and one that puts hilarity and being funny before actually being a serious review - but that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

He has generally good taste in games (in my humble opinion :p), but admittedly over-plays/ under-plays things to comic effect.

Most of us come to ZP for a laugh, not for teh serious review.

Let's face it, Yahtzee's right about Uncharted 2 - it's awful pretty but awful average. People might say they don't take Yahtzee's reviews seriously, but I fancy they're just being a wee bit precious.

Holy crap, a ZP without that annoying news ad tacked on at the end. Also, thumbs up as always. Personally I don't care for indiana jones clones (never played a Tomb Raider either) so everyone saying its the best thing ever doesn't mean anything to me. Nice to know its a bunch of meh with superior graphics like the majority of games out there.

haruvister:
Let's face it, Yahtzee's right about Uncharted 2 - it's awful pretty but awful average. People might say they don't take Yahtzee's reviews seriously, but I fancy they're just being a wee bit precious.

Or perhaps they acknowledge him as a comedian first, and reviewer second?

There's nothing precious about it. Any man that hates just about everything will have a hard time being taken seriously by anyone.
And I'm not saying I don't like Yahtzee. I'm saying that he makes his reviews funny, and therefore, tries to focus on the negatives of a game. He said it himself in his BioShock review.

As for me: I really liked Uncharted 2. It didn't really bring anything new to the table, but name me a game from the past 3 years that has.

nearly peed myself at the mention of the torrid love affair with the wall.

lwm3398:
Damn. You know, my friend told me it was a great game, all cinematic and adventurous and sandbox-y... I was just gonna wait for a little confirmation.

Well, it seems I've saved sixty dollars.

He said that it was all of those things (with the possible exception of sandboxy, as it's definitely linear), in addition to "every other catch phrase from the game review-o-meter". It's just not very original or groundbreaking.
He obviously didn't hate this game. He enjoyed it, and bets that you will, too. He just doesn't like the fact that there's nothing new here, and thinks it's ultimately forgettable.
I happen to disagree about its memorability. It's definitely derivative of other games, and blatantly copies a lot of them. What's special about it, I think, is that it takes what's best about those other games, combines them, and does an even better job than they did.

xxhazyshadowsxx:

haruvister:

There's nothing precious about it. Any man that hates just about everything will have a hard time being taken seriously by anyone.
And I'm not saying I don't like Yahtzee. I'm saying that he makes his reviews funny, and therefore, tries to focus on the negatives of a game. He said it himself in his BioShock review.

As for me: I really liked Uncharted 2. It didn't really bring anything new to the table, but name me a game from the past 3 years that has.

Portal. Ha! (The humorous, Yahtzee fellates this game ha, not the gotcha variety)

It's a great game. His criticisms are fair enough, but I fail to see how other games are less generic in terms of either gameplay or plot/dialogue. If Yahtzee takes it into his head to hate a game, he'll be damned to find more than one thing he likes about it: his reviews are fun, but I don't give a damn for what he says if I play a game and he doesn't like it.

Sorta amusing, but at the same time, it's hard not to get the feeling that he's trying hard not to enjoy something that most everyone else is having a really good time with. Yes, there's some good points to be made but it's a little like he's shouting 'THE FORCE IS GERMS' during the original Star Wars.

And I get that it's supposed to be amusing + not taken too seriously; perhaps that's why some reviews feel more forced than others.

Eclectic Dreck:
There will be a day eventually when people who tell good stories will successfuly interact with people who make fun games, but thus far such a marriage has generally been unsuccessful.

That day has game and went my friend. All the developers have all gone there seperate way, they made such games as Grim Fandango, Balduars gate series, Psychonauts. They all had great story to them all and all fun in their own way!

The thing is those games where made when games where made by geeks for geeks. All the good developers have been lured to deveoper houses that who wants to make money from games using money, fame and sex.

I hope games are like fashon and the fun/story games comes back!

Yeees and Yahtzee knows that Dragon Age is awesome lol
I never played U2 so cant say anything else

I wanna see either a Borderlands review, or MW2 review, both are fine with me.

Considering how much Yahtzee disliked the first game in the series, and sequels in general, I'm surprised he reviewed Uncharted 2. I guess he must not have finished Dragon Age yet or something.

Oh well--it was funny and concise, and gave me fair cause to avoid it.

Kaiyen:
Yeees and Yahtzee knows that Dragon Age is awesome

If Yahtzee likes Dragon Age it'll prove his lack of any actual journalistic integrity. Why? Go back and watch his Mass Effect Review, as far as I can tell, Dragon Age has a lot of the same problems as ME if not MORE in some places. Especially since Yahtzee complains about the abundance of Dialogue in Mass Effect, Dragon Age has MORE dialogue that is presented in a far more labyrinthine manner. I am keeping in mind that Yahtzee IS a comedian, but at least 75% of the people posting on this thread apparently think he presents a valid, biased and well reasoned opinion, which is not the case.

I'll be paying very close attention to his Dragon Age review, very close attention indeed.

PhiMed:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

haruvister:

Portal. Ha! (The humorous, Yahtzee fellates this game ha, not the gotcha variety)

And if you noticed, I said: just about everything
Meaning not everything, but the majority.

Atleast that's what I think you're saying. Your post is quite confusing.

Wow - he's really quite aggressive to this game. Well that's what the escapist pays him for.

To be honest - he is right when he says that Uncharted 2 is not very, well, original. But he compares it to FILMS (which isn't that unfair since that's what Uncharted 2 was going for, a comparison to a film). I don't think he has realised that it is the first game that I have played that actually manages to pull off almost being a film.

He was aggressively determined to find faults. It's what he does for a living. And no game is perfect. Although I do think he was being needlessly aggressive, for the sake of his review style. The more a game is loved by the mainstream, the more he feels OBLIGATED to find something wrong with it. If it's enjoyed by many, and it's a "big" title, you can guarantee he'll do his best to hate it.

Which is refreshing at least.

All he says is basically true if you want to view the game from a very cynical perspective. Otherwise it's a pretty excellent and well polished game.

RAND00M:

stiver:
Man definitely going to skip this.
Good looking games have never been the reason to get it. Bad gameplay is best avoided.

boring concepts.

Im gonna guess that you're one of those people that take his reviews seriously.

For the most part I wrote that before the review was finished. I never buy/not buy a game based on anything Yahtzee says itself. I just like to take the time to rip on this game for being crap.

xxhazyshadowsxx:

PhiMed:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

haruvister:

And if you noticed, I said: just about everything
Meaning not everything, but the majority.

Atleast that's what I think you're saying. Your post is quite confusing.

Chill, man. The reason I put that part in parentheses was because I was trying to let on that I was joking.
You ended your post by saying

xxhazyshadowsxx:
It didn't really bring anything new to the table, but name me a game from the past 3 years that has.

So I responded by saying, "Portal. Ha!" as a joke. Then I realized you'd probably get a bug in an uncomfortable orifice at that, so I put the part in parentheses. Apparently the bug got in there anyway.

Wickerton:

Casual Shinji:

Carnagath:
That was quite a forced bashing, and felt like it too. Yeah, it's a pop corn game in the same sense that Aliens is a pop corn action movie, but they are both classics in their own field. This game is the most fun ride I've had with an action game since...well, I can't even remember, and it does deserve all the praise it's getting in my opinion.

Apparently it doesn't matter if you enjoy the game.

Mr. Reviewer has spoken and his herd of blind followers hoot and squeek in agreement.

OR... the "herd" actually agrees. I know I do. Good game (it deserves its praise), but it has its flaws like any other title. Mr. Reviewer says just that, but in a louder and more entertaining fashion.

Ultimately, ANYTHING can get picked apart if you just try.

I haven't actually seen the review, because for some strange reason I can't play the videos on this site anymore.

If Mr. Reviewer (I can't say his name, I just can't. I'm sorry, it's a childhood thing.) doesn't like the game then he doesn't like the game. But I get a little annoyed when his grotesque fanbase crawls out of the woodwork and starts chanting: ZP says it's baaaaaaaaad, so it's baaaaaaaaad. For me Zero Punctuation is slowly becoming "one of those things ruined by the fans".

The one thing i will say is how did he not see what he was to jump to? He gives out to gamers for being stupid and needing neon flashing lights telling them what to do, then when he gets a game that does it subtly he says that it isn't obvious enough for him.

Two words : Perfect Review!

Finally someone who has the balls to say the truth and realize that this game might be good but it really doesn't bring anything new so it certainly doesn't deserve perfect scores and 99s out of 100.

Uncharted 2 is not that great of a game. sure one was ok but 2 really I agrea 1 was nothing worth making 2. Then again Uncharted 2 is a nice feeler episode while we wait for austrial to get Torchlight, borderlands, Dragon Age and MW2. I do not expect Yahtzee to give Dragon age a good review. Lol it way over his head. Damn great game just to complex for the simple gamers AKA Yahtzee.

wyldefire:
Hmm, I think Yahtzee's scorn is undercut somewhat by him admitting last week that he actually enjoyed the game. He did bring the bile though that's for sure.

Also haha at all the people who are going to pass up on this game because of what Yahtzee says. Why don't you roll over so he can stomp on the other side of your face. (Longtime viewers will get this statement.)

That's the problem. He brought a bit TOO MUCH of the bile. He may have enjoyed the game and he may think it's good. But he poured so much bile that it's hard to tell. Sure pouring bile is generally what he does, but I think that the amount this particular time around was excessive even for him. I get the impression that while Yahtzee may have enjoyed the game he may very well be embarrassed by, or possibly ashamed of, the fact that he enjoyed it.

And with regard to all the people who CLAIM they are going to pass up on this game because of what Yahtzee says. I'd say that most, if not all of them, were probably not going to get it anyway. This in turn is possibly due to Xbox fan status.

Acidwell:
The one thing i will say is how did he not see what he was to jump to? He gives out to gamers for being stupid and needing neon flashing lights telling them what to do, then when he gets a game that does it subtly he says that it isn't obvious enough for him.

The answer is that Yahtzee is a hypocrite... sort of... maybe it's more like he has an extremely short memory. He doesn't have a LOT of consistency between reviews and something that is BAD in one game might be GOOD in another, or might go unnoticed all together. But that doesn't really matter, half of us will love the fact that he insulted something popular, the other half will be annoyed that he insulted something we liked. I've fallen on both sides on multiple occasions.

Totally unfair review.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "fanboy" and I really enjoy Zero Punctuation, in fact I look forward to every Wednesday BECAUSE of these reviews! I generally agree with Yatzee's assessment of the games he reviews, but when I saw this one I had to say something because I think it is a really good game and I think this review is way off base.
The only thing I DO agree with is the wall climbing puzzles. Very annoying and time consuming. I thought it looked dumb throwing myself against walls when it looked like I should be able to climb but couldn't. It would have been better if you just couldn't jump against walls that you could not climb, and have Nathan look to where he should be climbing. I generally don't like tedious environment puzzles, and this game has it's share, but not enough to significantly sour my overall experience.
However, the rest of this review is totally absurd, and not in the usual funny way.
>Bad story? False. I enjoyed every minute of it. Great characters, great action, etc.
>Racist? What the hell? With all due respect Yahtzee, that's a totally unfounded statement. When in the game did you hear Drake say "Oh good, more darkies to kill!"? When did the game instruct you to kill anyone who is not white? The game take place in a foriegn countries, and some of the people in those countries are bad people who are trying to kill you or are in your way. The fact that they are a different color is a side effect of location. Race is a total non-issue in this game. "Defenceless Mercenaries"? That doesn't even make any sense. You might as well judge every game as being about a (color)guy who runs around killing poor defensless(color)people... who have guns.
>Nathan Drake Character: Very likeable. Maybe he resembles a mortal enemy in the reviewer's real life?
Some comment about the eyes: The whites of the eyes were a bit too dark, but not a big deal.

I am also VERY critical of games, but I really liked this one. It does have its flaws, but there is so much more good than bad here.

That one was seriously epic.

edit: also yahtzee you seriously need to update your blog more often.

I'm sorry, but really? You actually didn't like Uncharted, or the sequel? I call shenanigans. Either you are now just giving great games bad reviews because its your shtick, or you actually have no taste.

Uncharted 2 is fun. But not particularly compelling, except for the multiplayer, if you're into it, or if you like campy indiana jones movies.
I'd like to see Yahtzee review Demon's Souls. For some reason, I can't even imagine what he'd think or say about it...well....that's not entirely true.
But I'm just curious, if only because it's my favorite game ever right now.
*sigh* it'll probably never happen. not mainstream enough.
but he should really consider it, if only because it's different from anything else on the market.

Yeah i know he is hypocritical for comedic effect and most of the time i would just take it as that but i honestly think in the case of uncharted he does have a problem with it but thats just my interpretation of it

xxhazyshadowsxx:

haruvister:

Demon's Souls!!! Demon's Souls!!! For the love of all your failed gods, Demon's Souls!!!

Wall. Huh. Good God, y'all.

I think the Tomb Raider Uncharted franchise goes to prove your theory about us all playing Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure. I'll just sign myself up for the offworld slavery now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here