Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

infinisynth:
Brilliant review. Best in a while. Exactly what I expected you to say Yahtzee. Uncharted 2 is a game for simple minded folk that like pretty stuff and don't want to be challenged. Straight up mainstream crap.

No, its a actual good game. 90% of all good games are mainstream. the obscure good stuff are usually JRPGs and tim scafner. Its like yahtzee says, things are usually mainstream because they're good or has will smith in it.

Great review, but it was incredibly harsh and nit-picky; but I guess that's sort of the point.

PedroSteckecilo:

Acidwell:
The one thing i will say is how did he not see what he was to jump to? He gives out to gamers for being stupid and needing neon flashing lights telling them what to do, then when he gets a game that does it subtly he says that it isn't obvious enough for him.

The answer is that Yahtzee is a hypocrite... sort of... maybe it's more like he has an extremely short memory. He doesn't have a LOT of consistency between reviews and something that is BAD in one game might be GOOD in another, or might go unnoticed all together. But that doesn't really matter, half of us will love the fact that he insulted something popular, the other half will be annoyed that he insulted something we liked. I've fallen on both sides on multiple occasions.

I know exactly where you're coming from. Consistency definitely isn't Yahtzee's strong point. For example he counted good visuals as a plus for Prince of Persia but now seems to be largely dismissing them with Uncharted 2. Also in his review for the first Uncharted he went out of his way to suggest that developers not throw in quick time events randomly if they must use them. Evidently the people at Naughty Dog took his advice and now Uncharted 2, unlike it's predecessor, has no random quick time events. But does he give Uncharted 2 any credit for it? Nope. It all really seems to reek of bias. There are other examples I could name but I think the point has been made. I guess I too will be looking forward to his Dragon Age: Origins review.

The best thing is if you disagree with yahtzee, is to not take him seriously and watch him for comedic value.

ziggybogidou:
So DA: origins next week?
or borderlands?
Maybe *gasp* MW2?

I doubt it, good isn't funny.

No offence:
Besides being pretty MW2 is just another shooter Borderlands has it's very own style and dragon age is a very immersive fantasy rpg that is just different from most of the tolkienesque rpgs.
Kinda like The Witcher it has a more believable fantasy world one that isn't a world of good looking set pieces with cartboard cutouts for characters. (well The witcher had pretty stiff character animation in dialogue but as for the story it is just wonderful.)
I think the whole hype around MW2 is not deserved but maybe it's because I don't really like "realistic" shooters.

I seriously have no idea what he was talking about with the walls, I mean you've got to press a damned button to go into cover! I never had to deal with the auto-sticking stuff.

Still, Yahtzee goes on about how games these days are made stupid for the masses and while simultaneously removing any positive input from his reviews because 'people find anger more funny'. Check out the difference between the UC1 and UC2 reviews; at least he mentioned a FEW things he liked in the first one. Now he's plainfacedly stated that he only mentions things he hates, it's made his reviews go from 'interesting with witty comedy' to a bunch of dick jokes and shitting on everything. Add in at least 5 instances of 'It's like a [noun] [verb]ed in [bodily secretion]' and you have yourself some pretty damn low-hanging comedy.

Yeah yeah yeah, I shouldn't be taking these as serious reviews and all that, but it just felt like I could actually take away something from his older reviews than random insults. Like action with no story, comedy with no intellect can be enjoyed now and again but really grates quickly.

And what the hell is he talking about with Drake being smug? I've always thought he was one of the least self-assured characters I've seen as of late, mainly because everything keeps going to hell whenever he gets involved and he recognizes this. Can someone explain what I'm missing here? That really does seem like the polar opposite of 'smug'.

i don't know why but I laughed so hard when he said "killing more foreigners than malaria."

I dont think I've ever heard someone say so much without ever saying anything meaningful - maybe Yahtzee should go into politics...

Considering Yahtzee is a British born Australian, I'm surprised he didn't pick up that Claudia was Australian, both her Character and the Actress. ;)

It's ok Ben, we all make mistakes sometimes. Although the only reason I guessed it was because I'm quite familiar Claudia Black and her work, and like most Aussies, just keeping track of the few awesome stars we actually have.

I agree with what he said, but no matter how much you want to pick at it and make criticisms, it's still possibly the most fun I've had playing a game this year. Generic, cliche but still fucking awesome and fun is what games are all about at the end of the day.

I have to admit I had a hard time laughing. I guess disliking a game doesn't mean you will automatically enjoy criticism of it. It is accurate however and I'll take what I can get.

"And I, one Stout by name, present a wwwwwwwwwwall. And such a wwwwwwwwwall as I would have you think, had in it a crannied hole or chink..."
I had to give that line in drama class in High School and for some reason it's stuck with me.
IDK, this video felt a bit rushed, which I suppose is understandable considering the circumstances. Still kinda funny though.

although the game may not be worth buying it is worth a play through
rent it the story was really good
and overall i enjoyed it

You should have put those two brick walls sitting awkwardly on the back of a bus. Just sayin'

Kilo24:
I must chime in with Yahtzee on this regard: Uncharted 2 was a game that made no mistakes by doing bugger all new.

I would be deeply entertained to see him review something more unique like Demon's Souls, or somewhat more selfishly a solid Western RPG like Dragon Age.

Or go completely mad and review Persona 4, Dwarf Fortress or M.U.L.E.

Heh, I'll second (or third, fourth, or whatever number is after the number of people who also agreed) that Demon's Souls review by him. Two completely sadistic individuals who have the art of tearing down any sense of positivity and then rubbing its desecrated remains into your face, facing off... sounds epic!

Hardcore_gamer:
Odd, i thought this was suppose to be like the game of year or something, does he hate every major mainstream tittle?

Where have you been the past two years?

PedroSteckecilo:

If Yahtzee likes Dragon Age it'll prove his lack of any actual journalistic integrity.

You are of course talking about a man who called his viewrs/readers shit, stupid and gave out punishment for not playing certain games?
Not that such things even matter because journalistic integrity is not consistency. Not liking Mass Effect does not require him to dislike Dragon Age.

Knight Templar:

PedroSteckecilo:

If Yahtzee likes Dragon Age it'll prove his lack of any actual journalistic integrity.

You are of course talking about a man who called his viewrs/readers shit, stupid and gave out punishment for not playing certain games?
Not that such things even matter because journalistic integrity is not consistency. Not liking Mass Effect does not require him to dislike Dragon Age.

No I suppose it doesn't, but certain complaints regarding Mass Effect, like I explained in the portion of my comment that you cut out, can be made of Dragons Age as well. It may just serve as an immense point of inconsistency in Yahtzee's "reviews," which is exactly what I'm getting at. He's a comedian, not an actual reviewer, stop pretending he is one. A balanced reviewing technique at least requires that you maintain a constant standard.

judas-savior:
Considering Yahtzee is a British born Australian, I'm surprised he didn't pick up that Claudia was Australian, both her Character and the Actress. ;)

I knew Claudia Black was Australian, but I honestly didn't think Chloe was. She always sounded mostly British, and considering she was hanging around with Flynn, I just assumed she was British too. It just never clicked. Go figure. Hooray, I suppose, for Aussie game voice-over artists!

I love Uncharted 2; nothing Yahtzee says can make me think otherwise. For everyone here who's getting all fanboy-ey; don't. Yahtzee's reviews do a sufficient job of picking out the minor flaws of the game, however insignificant, to inform you of what to look out for. Short of that, his reviews only cover a small part of what makes up the game, and even then only to a limited degree. Don't take it so seriously.

All you need to take from this review is that Uncharted 2 isn't particularly innovative. Whatever, it's still a blast from start to finish. Laugh at the review, consider whether or not you'd mind having your experience tarnished by something less than revolutionary, and the go buy the game.

And I loved that damned zero gravity cheat, it was hilarious.

Wow. Gotta love all the pissy people here who found him denouncing their game, and how their little minds immediately hop into self-defense mode, forcing them to post wonderful things like "Remember, folks - he's not a REAL reviewer like the people from Gamespot! He's a comedian!" Wow. Just... wow.

But you know what really, really grinds me about this? That something just tells me that at least 60-70% of the people who chooses to dismiss his opinion and tries encouraging others to do the same would not have done so if he had ragged on a game they too didn't like. Then, he's not "just a comedian" anymore, but a genius that we should all agree with.

Ugh.

90% of all good games are mainstream.

Bull. Shit.

I thought it was great, as always. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but hopefully I will. Probably just be a rental though. And I think Yahtzee is a great reviewer. I have never once found one of his reviews to be un-true. And he's bashed alot of games I like, and I still thought the video was hilarious, because he's right. Only emotional unstable retards who get their justification in life from a video game could defend their games with the blind devotion they do. Face it kiddies, not everyone will like your game. Get over it.

And Gamespot? Really? In what universe is Gamespot a good barometer of games? And their video reviews are supernaturally painful to watch.

I have to laugh at the amount of people that care wether he is actually a proper reviewer or a comedian... or a cockroach dressed as a Korean poltical leader, but personally i dont care, the 3 or 4 minutes i spend watching his review keeps from being bored. Then afterwards i start the wait for things i like that come out on thursdays. But to do with the game i remember watching someone trying to play it and i wasnt playing close attention so they could have just sucked but they had to go through one section 4 or 5 times, now personally i dont think that should really have to happen unless its something like the final boss. Its the kind of thing that irritates me more than the bastards with machine guns in mirrors edge...

Windowlicker:
Good review although I would had liked to hear him talk about the Muti Player

Yahtzee doesn't play games for multiplayer...since he hates humanity.

Yea I figured this one was pretty much another movie you play through in bits and pieces. Surprised Yahtzee is looking forward to Dragon Age, though, considering the numerous times that he's told us he isn't much of an RPG fan. That one does look good.

St1gar:
Wow. Gotta love all the pissy people here who found him denouncing their game, and how their little minds immediately hop into self-defense mode, forcing them to post wonderful things like "Remember, folks - he's not a REAL reviewer like the people from Gamespot! He's a comedian!" Wow. Just... wow.

But you know what really, really grinds me about this? That something just tells me that at least 60-70% of the people who chooses to dismiss his opinion and tries encouraging others to do the same would not have done so if he had ragged on a game they too didn't like. Then, he's not "just a comedian" anymore, but a genius that we should all agree with.

Ugh.

90% of all good games are mainstream.

Bull. Shit.

Well, personally, I never took his views on games he didn't like too seriously, because I found he would get tied up with the little things, and forget to have fun wit the game. So if he rips a game apart, I still check it out, and more often than not its a good game. And if Yahtzee likes a game, then I definitely check it out, because it's a guarenteed good time.

So to close, I love Uncharted 2 (and original). Yahtzee exaggerated a lot of the small issues, and people are mad because he made it seem a lot worse than it is, and some people take him way too seriously. It is a solid, polished, damn good game, probably the best I've played all year (due to low budget).

I can't watch the video, it just says something like ""stream is not found".

Dragon Age next week perhaps?

PedroSteckecilo:
It may just serve as an immense point of inconsistency in Yahtzee's "reviews," which is exactly what I'm getting at. He's a comedian, not an actual reviewer, stop pretending he is one.

I must ask you why Zero Punctuation is not a review. Why, because it entertains? Because in it he (Yahtzee) highlights some aspects (the negitive) more than others? A critic Yahtzee may be but that doesn't stop his work from being a review.

A balanced reviewing technique at least requires that you maintain a constant standard.

What do you mean by "balanced reviewing technique", do you mean he must mention both the good and the bad?

What happens if he does enjoy the game? Must he tell people that he hates the game when in fact he does not? People do not have to feel one way about two things, it doesn't matter what aspects they have in common, they are still diffrent.

I wonder is he going to review New Super Mario Bros. Wii. According to wikipedia, it's first released in Australia, today.

James Cassidy:

Fox242:
The part about the noogies and the homoerotic terror was sheer brilliance. While it made me laugh, I can't help but keep wondering whether Yahtzee is just being a dick with some of his reviews because Uncharted 2 is an absolute gem. But then again, that is probably why we keep coming back every Wednesday to see what crazy shit he has to say next. Keep up the good work.

Absolute gem to some, but not to all.

You know what bothers me the most out of it all. Every PS3 fanboy always says that every game should have the graphics Uncharted has every time a new games comes out and it is really starting to get to me about that.

Did people lose the concept of "Style" lately? It's like me saying that Michelangelo would be a better artist if he used the same talent as Da Vinci.

I never said that all games should have the graphics of Uncharted 2. And I'm not a PS3 fan boy, I will readily admit that the PS3 has its issues and flaws like any decent video gamer should. But I do believe Uncharted 2 is a gem and is easily one of the best PS3 exclusive games. And what's this about style? How did that come about? I was only just saying that Yahtzee does tend to find tiny problems in good games and blow them out of proportion. But I should have realized that he is merely a fast talking and cynical British comedian. There's really no rhyme or reason to arguing with what he says.

MasterMayhem117:
I saw Dragon Age!!! Can't wait for that review. Game looks amazing, haven't played it yet though... Crappy $60 a game.. Not that I should be complaining, $100 for Yahtzee is much worse lol Although, Escapist probably foots that bill... Maybe I could get them to foot mine.. Hey Yahtzee, How bout we team up and review games together over xbox live... Wait, hates all smugness that is not his own.. Fuck..

I also have a feeling Dragon Ago might be the next review :)

you really need to bash almost EVERY game, Yahtzee?

Uncharted 2 is an excellent game. Yes Uncharted 2 is the sum of many parts but the result is such an amazing, compelling, and especially FUN game that none of that matters.

Also, until the Indiana Jones franchise gets a game half as good as Uncharted 2 you shan't call uncharted a Indy rip-off.

judas-savior:

It's ok Ben, we all make mistakes sometimes. Although the only reason I guessed it was because I'm quite familiar Claudia Black and her work, and like most Aussies, just keeping track of the few awesome stars we actually have.

Damn, you beat me to it! If a Brit living in Australia can't tell the difference, noone can ;)

I'm glad Yahtzee mentioned the stupid ledges in this game... I hated how you could be surrounded with seeminly climbable objects, but yet only have one allowed path to get to your objective.

Mentalist:
Why is everyone so eager for Dragon Age? You know that Yahtzee is just going to tear the hell out of it, and there will be an avalanche of angry comments. It's just... predictable.

Would you go so far as to say it's unoriginal!?

Ba Dum Bum Psh

I take Yahtzee's reviews for their comedic value more than anything. But he does make some good valid points at times.

Howeever, with U2 I think he was very harsh. It's obviously a quality made game that's alot of fun with tight controls and amazing visuals. And I found the cover system to work very well, epsecially compared to other games. Plus the effort they put into the cut scenes was outstanding.

Its funny because I would think that Yahtzee would sort of welcome U2 for doing what Indiana Jones 4 failed to do. A Proper old school treasure hunting action story with no f****** aliens!

I bought Uncharted 2 on tuesday this week, and I have to say I like it. I don't find Mr. Drake that annoying, and it still is a pretty damn good game. it won't change the world of gaming, but it's solid. sorry for the most un-funny comment yet.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here