Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

He said it was good guys, yeesh.
Anyways this was a pleasant surprise, I thought he'd toss this one aside and review Borderlands or Demons souls.
I dont fully agre with his gripes but the part about walls and enemy ethnicity was funny.
and is it just me, or did naughty dog watch his last review, they took out vehicle sections, quicktime events (during cutscenes) and most enemies are white.

duchaked:

HUBILUB:

duchaked:

HUBILUB:

duchaked:

RAND00M:

stiver:
Man definitely going to skip this.
Good looking games have never been the reason to get it. Bad gameplay is best avoided.

boring concepts.

Im gonna guess that you're one of those people that take his reviews seriously.

I'm gonna guess that you're a PS3 owner?

What's with this prejudice? Are you going to accuse him of being a fanboy now?

no! =) I am acknowledging some level of heightened emotions (an observation really)
I own a PS3 anyway
but really I just found the comment on Yahtzee a bit unwarranted (I can almost agree with the arguments there, but it's all in how you say it)

I can sense those emotions too, and it's mostly because people are saying that they're passing up on a game based on a review from YAHTZEE! I know that Yahtzee is entitled to his opinions, but the only thing he did in the review was to pick on the bad things (I'm not complaining at him at all, it's his job and it's fun) but that makes everyone who hasn't played the game think it's flawed and starts to criticize it.

I don't hate Yahtzee, I love the man (almost in a gay way) but I hate some of his stupid fans that don't take the things he says with a grain of salt. It's like when he bashed Halo 3, now everyone loves to bash that game. I'm not saying this as a sony fanboy, but as an Uncharted 2 fanboy, because I loved that game.

Fanboy-spasm over. Sorry if I caused you any emotional distress ;)

well technically I was talking about emotions on the other side of things (oops) but no it's all good
there are those who love him and will follow his word to the bone
and those who hate him and will come on here to bash his reviews (mainly the ones where he bashes their favorite love life game)
lolll I'm primarily a 360 gamer (I use 'primarily' and 'gamer' almost hesitantly, I prefer to see myself as a determined student hehe, much better connotations outside of gaming forums in say, oh, the real social world), and I don't hate him for bashing say...Halo
he liked Gears and that was just funny (lol...w/e)
yeah I'm kinda tired, so I'm kinda rambling...sorry

hahaha oh no it's fine, I'm not one to judge where people put their time and devotion
cuz in the end we're all wasting our lives playing some form of video games-WAIT I MEAN we are all entitled to the pursuit of happiness
unless you live in like, Cuba
or Utah

We should really move to zombieland. Freedom for all!

Woodsey:

I take it this is ironic, because this isn't supposed to be a proper review. It did pretty well by his standards anyway, he almost sounded like he was giving it a recommendation.

He told me enough to know it wasn't for me. That's all I meant.

I can't believe people are absolutely butthurt that Yahtzee does what he does every week. How can this review be a surprise to anyone who has regularly watched his show? Did you explain a run of the mill IGN review which simply states everything the game developers paid them to?

BaldursBananaSoap:
Well, Uncharted 2s my GOTY anyway. I can't believe there's people taking Yahtzee's word as fact and not buying it because he hated it.

His reviews are pure SATIRE. If they were real reviews they would be balanced and consistent; not funny and nit-picky.

Buy Uncharted 2 now, and the first Uncharted, and LittleBigPLanet, and MGS4, and Wipeout hd, and Warhawk, and Flower, and Disgaea 3, Resistance 2, and Ratchet and Clank Future:Tools of Destruction, and Socom Confrontation, and Demons Souls while you're at it, and Valkyria Chronicles, and Motorstorm 2, and Heavenly Sword, and Killzone 2 and inFAMOUS oh and that new Ratchet A crack in Time game too, and Katarami if you're into that stuff, then GT5, then Heavy Rain, then MAG, then The Last Guardian, then White Knight Chronicles, then Modnation Racers, and then the rest of the PS3 exclusives that come out at the start of next year because they're all fantastic! And best of all, they're not all shooters made for ADD kids. Huzza!

Get infamous off and you've got a nice list of shitgames.

I typically agree with many of Yahtzee's reviews, but there were a lot of things in this one that weren't even true. I never noticed that bug eye thing he mentioned, and even though the concept has been done before, I still found the story very compelling. From what I've seen, if he even remotely suggests that a game is good, then its definitely a game worth buying. Its an amazing game that perfect a lot of game-play mechanics that many other games I.E. Dragon Age and Borderlands fall flat on. This game is a shoe-in for GOTY.

WHY WHY GOD DID YOU REVIEW THAT? You knew it was going to be the epitome of meh. You should've gone with something more 'borderlands-esque'

I'm surprised he was able to rip apart this game that much. It seemed to be an unstoppable hit from other people's accounts.

Calling it right now, Dragon Age is the first game to do a moral choice system "right" in Yahtzee's eyes.

It's the first game that gives you a choice to be morally grey. You don't have to be Hitler or Jesus. You can act like a real person and make your own choices.

Mr.Lucifer:

dbrose:

insertclevernamehere:

dbrose:
Considering how much Yahtzee disliked the first game in the series, and sequels in general, I'm surprised he reviewed Uncharted 2. I guess he must not have finished Dragon Age yet or something.

Oh well--it was funny and concise, and gave me fair cause to avoid it.

He didn't dislike the first one, he said the gameplay was all good it was just unoriginal. More than he says for most games.

Ugh after 3 (maybe 4) posts I realize that there are more idiots who think Yahtzee is a good person to get an unbiased review, and if he says it's bad it's bad than I can deal with. Enjoy missing a lot of quality gaming because you listen to a funny man and take everything he says seriously and acknowledge it as the end all truth.

I hardly think Yahtzee is unbiased--far from it! I simply find that I agree with a majority of his statements and thus am more inclined to agree with him. That being said, I do have a mind of my own--I actually liked the third Thief game better than the first two, and I do enjoy a number of JRPGs; I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews and usually agree with them, but I always go with my own gut feeling in the end as to whether or not I should spend money on a game.

He's not unbiased, he's just super picky.

BS. He even states multiple times that he hates things before he even plays them, and of course with everyone calling the next coming being brought about by U2, Yahtzee is going to trash it. He also had to seem neutral about it at best to maintain consistency with his first review. His job is more complex than yelling stuff into a mic, he needs to be consistent or he'll lose his audience.

I also have the feeling he enjoys games more than he lets on, just it wouldn't be funny if he said "Ya it's ok" to everything instead of ripping it to shreds.

Also no offense if you agree with Yahtzee almost all the time I'd hate to be you, must be hard to be entertained! XD

HUBILUB:

duchaked:

HUBILUB:

duchaked:

HUBILUB:

duchaked:

RAND00M:

stiver:
Man definitely going to skip this.
Good looking games have never been the reason to get it. Bad gameplay is best avoided.

boring concepts.

Im gonna guess that you're one of those people that take his reviews seriously.

I'm gonna guess that you're a PS3 owner?

What's with this prejudice? Are you going to accuse him of being a fanboy now?

no! =) I am acknowledging some level of heightened emotions (an observation really)
I own a PS3 anyway
but really I just found the comment on Yahtzee a bit unwarranted (I can almost agree with the arguments there, but it's all in how you say it)

I can sense those emotions too, and it's mostly because people are saying that they're passing up on a game based on a review from YAHTZEE! I know that Yahtzee is entitled to his opinions, but the only thing he did in the review was to pick on the bad things (I'm not complaining at him at all, it's his job and it's fun) but that makes everyone who hasn't played the game think it's flawed and starts to criticize it.

I don't hate Yahtzee, I love the man (almost in a gay way) but I hate some of his stupid fans that don't take the things he says with a grain of salt. It's like when he bashed Halo 3, now everyone loves to bash that game. I'm not saying this as a sony fanboy, but as an Uncharted 2 fanboy, because I loved that game.

Fanboy-spasm over. Sorry if I caused you any emotional distress ;)

well technically I was talking about emotions on the other side of things (oops) but no it's all good
there are those who love him and will follow his word to the bone
and those who hate him and will come on here to bash his reviews (mainly the ones where he bashes their favorite love life game)
lolll I'm primarily a 360 gamer (I use 'primarily' and 'gamer' almost hesitantly, I prefer to see myself as a determined student hehe, much better connotations outside of gaming forums in say, oh, the real social world), and I don't hate him for bashing say...Halo
he liked Gears and that was just funny (lol...w/e)
yeah I'm kinda tired, so I'm kinda rambling...sorry

hahaha oh no it's fine, I'm not one to judge where people put their time and devotion
cuz in the end we're all wasting our lives playing some form of video games-WAIT I MEAN we are all entitled to the pursuit of happiness
unless you live in like, Cuba
or Utah

We should really move to zombieland. Freedom for all!

oh man, yes totally
less is more

wait...why the heck does it say I have 24 messages...that's a glitch

Zing89:
Calling it right now, Dragon Age is the first game to do a moral choice system "right" in Yahtzee's eyes.

It's the first game that gives you a choice to be morally grey. You don't have to be Hitler or Jesus. You can act like a real person and make your own choices.

Go play Jade Empire. It's basically the same choice system, only Dragon Age improved on it.

As for Uncharted 2. I really enjoyed it. In fact I enjoyed it enough to go out and buy the first one.

Yahtzee made a lot of good points, like the sticking to cover and the eye bugging things. The flailing arms things was enjoyable. And while Drake looks like a total douche, he's comical in his own way, like the ending video (not gonna spoil it). It makes him a solid character, impossible, but solid.

I've disagreed with what Yahtzee has said in the past, but for the most part. He does a great job reviewing games, because he looks at the negative light more so than normal. Look at any review out there, there's games getting away with 7.5+, NEXT BEST THING, that shouldn't have even left alpha.

But that's just my 2 cents.

This might have been mentioned before, but the new girl is Australian, as played by Claudia Black. Dumbass. Maybe living in the country has made you tone deaf to the accent.

As for the rest of it, can't really fault the faults, but it's still worth playing.

Grade:

Zing89:

Go play Jade Empire. It's basically the same choice system, only Dragon Age improved on it.

To expand on that point, Fallout 3 also has a morally grey area. It's called neutral. Sure it's not the most innovative way of handling it but it was an option none the less.

llagrok:
I can't believe people are absolutely butthurt that Yahtzee does what he does every week. How can this review be a surprise to anyone who has regularly watched his show? Did you explain a run of the mill IGN review which simply states everything the game developers paid them to?

BaldursBananaSoap:
Well, Uncharted 2s my GOTY anyway. I can't believe there's people taking Yahtzee's word as fact and not buying it because he hated it.

His reviews are pure SATIRE. If they were real reviews they would be balanced and consistent; not funny and nit-picky.

Buy Uncharted 2 now, and the first Uncharted, and LittleBigPLanet, and MGS4, and Wipeout hd, and Warhawk, and Flower, and Disgaea 3, Resistance 2, and Ratchet and Clank Future:Tools of Destruction, and Socom Confrontation, and Demons Souls while you're at it, and Valkyria Chronicles, and Motorstorm 2, and Heavenly Sword, and Killzone 2 and inFAMOUS oh and that new Ratchet A crack in Time game too, and Katarami if you're into that stuff, then GT5, then Heavy Rain, then MAG, then The Last Guardian, then White Knight Chronicles, then Modnation Racers, and then the rest of the PS3 exclusives that come out at the start of next year because they're all fantastic! And best of all, they're not all shooters made for ADD kids. Huzza!

Get infamous off and you've got a nice list of shitgames.

It's pre-teen 360 fanboys like these that constantly need to justify their purchase that make me feel much better in owning a PC and PS3.

He thinks Dragon Age: Origins matters? Shocker, given how his Mass Effect review went. Guess the planets realigned and cosmic rays are shining upon his house again. I woulda thought he'd a put MW2 for the "box character" example, he being the twitchy gamer he says he is.

Then again, it's most likely just a recent game he picked to use for the hell of it. Yay for self-contradicting statements! :D

I was wondering where the hell he was going with the review through all the insane jokes till he said the game wasn't bad. Makes me think he's been trying a bit too hard lately.

IS IT A SPIDER WITH LEPROSY

Awesome.

lwm3398:

Woodsey:

I take it this is ironic, because this isn't supposed to be a proper review. It did pretty well by his standards anyway, he almost sounded like he was giving it a recommendation.

He told me enough to know it wasn't for me. That's all I meant.

But... But... He doesn't tell you anything! I can't see how you can take anything from this other than a laugh. He exaggerates beyond belief (for good reason), I doubt anything is supposed to be taken from it.

sln333:
I'm surprised he was able to rip apart this game that much. It seemed to be an unstoppable hit from other people's accounts.

Ha, it's yahtzee's job to rip it apart. No matter how silly a mistake is. He'll find it.

did anyone else notice how that review was really similar to his Halo 3 review in both structure and content?

Amusing. Funny that what made me laugh the most was "I have an entire potato on my shoulder".

WaderiAAA:
Yatzee will review Dragon Age? He probably won't finish 20 % of it even. Wonder how he will take the game actually. He'll probably murder the gameplay, but I wonder if the story works for him.

I don't think it'll work well. The story is pretty cheesy. Very disappointing.

Woodsey:

But... But... He doesn't tell you anything! I can't see how you can take anything from this other than a laugh. He exaggerates beyond belief (for good reason), I doubt anything is supposed to be taken from it.

I said enough. Not into too much detail, I just know which games are for me and are not for me. I know I should give it a try, but I'm not even too much of a gamer.

Hallow'sEve:
So it's basically like the Transformers movies?
Where you can enjoy it for a few hours and leave your brain outside, but doesn't offer anything new to cinema or it's own franchise?
If that's the case then I'm cool with it, because I just want to have fun with bells and whistles for a hour or so. That's the purpose of games, right? To have fun?

I somewhat agree. There's nothing wrong with a game being nothing more then a distraction as long as it's an entertaining one. Regardless, while I don't mind it, I hope not all game makers rely on this tactic since there is so much more that we could do with this medium.

insertclevernamehere:

Mr.Lucifer:

dbrose:

insertclevernamehere:

dbrose:
Considering how much Yahtzee disliked the first game in the series, and sequels in general, I'm surprised he reviewed Uncharted 2. I guess he must not have finished Dragon Age yet or something.

Oh well--it was funny and concise, and gave me fair cause to avoid it.

He didn't dislike the first one, he said the gameplay was all good it was just unoriginal. More than he says for most games.

Ugh after 3 (maybe 4) posts I realize that there are more idiots who think Yahtzee is a good person to get an unbiased review, and if he says it's bad it's bad than I can deal with. Enjoy missing a lot of quality gaming because you listen to a funny man and take everything he says seriously and acknowledge it as the end all truth.

I hardly think Yahtzee is unbiased--far from it! I simply find that I agree with a majority of his statements and thus am more inclined to agree with him. That being said, I do have a mind of my own--I actually liked the third Thief game better than the first two, and I do enjoy a number of JRPGs; I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews and usually agree with them, but I always go with my own gut feeling in the end as to whether or not I should spend money on a game.

He's not unbiased, he's just super picky.

BS. He even states multiple times that he hates things before he even plays them, and of course with everyone calling the next coming being brought about by U2, Yahtzee is going to trash it. He also had to seem neutral about it at best to maintain consistency with his first review. His job is more complex than yelling stuff into a mic, he needs to be consistent or he'll lose his audience.

I also have the feeling he enjoys games more than he lets on, just it wouldn't be funny if he said "Ya it's ok" to everything instead of ripping it to shreds.

Also no offense if you agree with Yahtzee almost all the time I'd hate to be you, must be hard to be entertained! XD

I agree with you, but his reviews still manage to convince me not to buy some games I've looked forward to in the past by making me rethink my decision to get them, and I don't even buy many games to begin with. Come to think of it, I haven't bought one for over 6 months, although that's also due to not as many interesting games coming out. Dragon Age looks enticing though, and I may have to get that.

Not buying games may save me money, but it's also kind of disheartening, especially since I love video games so much.

I think it's funny he brought up DA as I'm playing through it now and I'm hoping, with all the hope I can muster, that there comes a point where I stop having to pull enemies like it's an MMO. And it's not like it's not my choice ~ I don't think you can even beat the third bandit encounter without pulling like you're back in Oasis pulling Specters to the beach because there's no way you can deal with that tower with anything short of a raid.

And, despite all the nice dialog, the game is otherwise pretty bleh. This is coming from someone who still plays Baldurs Gate on a regular basis.

=\

This is the only time I have ever not been satisfied with one of Yahtzee's Rants, UNCHARTED 1 AND 2 ARE F***ING AWESOME, nuff said

Most of the people who are "agreeing" are :

1) XB2 only owners

2) People who never played the game

3) People who thinks Transformers was the best movie ever

If you don't agree with yahtzee, thats fine. Just don't take his opinion too seriously. He's admitted bfore that his opinions are subjective. Though my personal complaint about his reviews is that all the nitpicking he does usually makes the games he does like sound mediocre with some redeeming features.

are people still looking at yatzee as a reviewer and not a critic?

Twilightruler:
Interesting to see someone rag on this game since companies and reviewers seem to be beating this game to death with game of the year recommendations...Personally, doesn't look all too great to me, certainly nothing new. But then again, if halo and COD has shown us anything, it's that doing nothing/very little new sells much better than doing something original.

Yes, damn CoD for making the new and refreshing Modern Warfare and then making a sequel since everyone wanted one.

And how is it interesting to see Yahtzee rag on a game that has gotten good reviews?

And just because something isn't new and original doesn't mean that it isn't great. You're talking like we should ban things like Halo to hell because they have the nerve not to do extreme changes to their games that would be met with anger.

Uncharted 2 may be unoriginal to some, but it probably has the best quality of any game out this year.

I hate it when people say "Doesn't look original" as a reason to why it would be bad. It's gotten GotY recommendations for a reason.

lol funny as always and I think he should the add the automatic stick to walls thing on his list of sins for game developers

Dragon age is way over Yahtzee head. He will get board with it like any nonmindless game. Face it if the game makes Yahtzee think it sure to get a bad review. Just like the Witcher I and some other great games. Yahtzee will kill Dragon Age on a idiot review cause it does not have to do with some easy mod. I might give the love story a + do to the face he will be thinking of his boyfriend.

great review, and to all the defenders on uncharted: it's unoriginal because it's basic gameplay is directly ripped from every successful game in the past few years. does it make it bad? no, it just means that it's something you haven't seen before and if you are like most people who don't have money pouring out of their ass to buy every game in existence, then it's ok to skip this one and look for a more interesting game worth your time and money

people who think that transformers 2 was the best game ever would like this game because it's just like it: all flash and no (deep) substance.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here