Review: Modern Warfare 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Review: Modern Warfare 2

Modern Warfare 2 is everything a sequel should be, and more.

Read Full Article

Yeah.

Thats about what I said.

(Note, I have not watched the video supplement, my schools Google Chrome doesn't have Adobe installed)

While in my opinion the game didn't quite match the standards of CoD4 it still had a few shock and awe moments and a nice plot to keep me satisfied. I hope to try the multiplayer tonight, maybe that will top CoD4. It was an improvement over WaW easily.

I just need somewhere to put my Soap MacTavish statue now.

Heh, I'm starting to see a little pattern on what members of staff review what games.

Sounds better than I expected

Jesus, way to be a game critic.

I'm a massive Infinity Ward/Call of Duty fanboy, and even I had a plethora of issues with the game's story, playability, multiplayer, and price.

Sorry, but this makes me question what motives you had to give this a near-perfect review.

No mention of the Special Ops?

wait, wait. Is soap the guy with that pitiful little mohawk?

My problem with the single player was the overall message that seemed to be found in it. In CoD4, the message was war is terrible and it sucks that good people have to fight and die to protect us all. But in MW2, the message seemed to be all war is bad so therefore all who partake in it are bad as well. I, for one, found the last level more disturbing than the terrorist one.

Damn. Sucks to be that astronaut...

Love this game. Love the plot. Love the settings. Vehicle section was a bit , so-so.

TheRealCJ:

I'm a massive Infinity Ward/Call of Duty fanboy, and even I had a plethora of issues with the game's story, playability, multiplayer, and price.

Sorry, but this makes me question what motives you had to give this a near-perfect review.

Indeed. I agree. Ok, the campaign was fun enough, but the multiplayer on PC is abit borked. And its impossible to get a big game because 'it'd be too much work' to Infinity Ward *grrr*.

So why is this review on the front page twice?

Catchy Slogan:

Love this game. Love the plot. Love the settings. Vehicle section was a bit , so-so.

True, that bit was awesome. Just not for the astronaut ;)

Even if it's a good game, I'm not buying it.

Looks like a fantastic game. I really need a new multiplayer FPS and this seems to have alot of replayablility and a massive chance for alot of dlc.

Ravek:
So why is this review on the front page twice?

2 different pieces of content - the review and video review supplement of the single player portion of the game and a video overview of the multiplayer portion. We did the same thing with Uncharted 2.

Every modern fps wants to be a rail shooter?

I do find it hard to believe that the game is as flawless as is presented in the review.

MCGT:

I know!

The Co-op missions helped makeup for the ridiculous frenzy of events InfinityWard calls "a plot"...

TheRealCJ:

I was kinda hoping the whole "terrorist" level would be brought up.

To me, that was just a publicity stunt by InfinityWard...very shameful.

No explanation, no insight, no reason into why we are doing it or even why we bother getting so close to Makarov...for that reason it proved only as "morally compelling" as another level on Kane and Lynch...

*EDIT* I take that back...Kane and Lynch killing civilians made sense...they made it abundantly clear they didn't give a damn about anyone else in accomplishing their personal goals...

When did instruction manuals become the work of the devil?

hansari:

MCGT:

I know!

The Co-op missions helped makeup for the ridiculous frenzy of events InfinityWard calls "a plot"...

TheRealCJ:

No explanation, no insight, no reason into why we are doing it or even why we bother getting so close to Makarov...for that reason it proved only as "morally compelling" as another level on Kane and Lynch...

*EDIT* I take that back...Kane and Lynch killing civilians made sense...they made it abundantly clear they didn't give a damn about anyone else in accomplishing their personal goals...

Maybe you didn't understand the story - if anything that level had more plot significance than any other.

I knew it'd be a pretty decent game, but the PC multiplayer issiues are still a big drawback for me. Still, nice to the know the content of the game's still good.

See, lately the reviews on The Escapist have been very positive, while I have enjoyed Mewtwo, I don't like the like the game is being held to. It is not near perfect, the article is riddled with some spoilers, no mention of Spec-Ops, nor how ridiculously short the campaign is. It's all praise with little to no downsides. This game is no where near perfect. It's a shooter, with a story that is being continued and driven into the ground to make a sale. Yes, the multiplayer is where it's at(or so I've read) but if you are going to focus so solidly on the multiplayer why bother even "tacking on" a singleplayer campaign.

They knew the game would be reviewed positively by everyone(except those reviewing the PC version) and that it would be held as the second coming. I feel the review should have focused more on the game's shortcomings rather than just what it does. There is room for lots of improvement in Mewtwo.

/steps off his high horse.

TheRealCJ:
even I had a plethora of issues with the game's story, playability, multiplayer, and price.

Exactly my thoughts. Although the multiplayer is quite nice (on the PS3), the pieces of the story do not feel connected to each other. MW1 did a much better job of staying in the story, even though the missions were divided onto SAS/Rangers too. But they built up on each other.
In MW2 the arcs in the story are just too large to really be able to connect and the way the story is presented seems like the worst part of a Michael Bay movie: hurry hurry hurry to get everything we though would be cool into one game.

I'm really no speedrunner and on consoles, I tend to play a game with much more caution than on a PC.. but it took me a whole 5 hours to complete the singleplayer. When I was finished with MW1 I remember thinking "WOW! What an experience!" - when I finished MW2 my thought was "Really? This is supposed to be it?"

Combined with the story that should really had been given time to develop instead of just throwing it in your face come huge buggers. It's 2009 people, why do you use a 32x32px texture on a signpost? Yes, performance is as important as the looks, but all the big and shiny explosions suddenly look like crap when you see a sign on the streets that looks like this: http://www.gameswire.net/comparisons/comparison_279-0022-25496215_PlayStation-3_278-0023-48737792_Xbox-360_split.html

The single-player was pretty f*cking awesome, though extremely inconsistent when compaired to CoD4.

The multi-player I have already put to rest.
Not because it's in any way bad, but because without a mic or a clan it's a frustratingly restless experience.

Teh_Doomage:
*snip*

I agree. There didn't seem to be enough analysis in this review. I could be wrong, but I think there needed to less informing of game content (since most people seems to know it already) and more of a genuine critique of said content. Feel free to ignore me, this view could well be part of some subconscious Halo-fanboyism of mine I'm unaware of.

Random argument man:
Even if it's a good game, I'm not buying it.

Boo frickdy hooo

hansari:

MCGT:

I know!

TheRealCJ:

Easy, you where trying to get close to Makarov so that you could get intel on him without pissing of the Russian government. But Makarov took you to a russian airport, killed everyone there, and then killed you so that the Russian government would think that America was behind the terrorist attack, as well as the rest of the world. The U.S. army lost support and war started.

Good read. You skipped a bunch though (see previous posters).

Personally I think this game fell well short of the original modern warfare. It did do a nice job with the fog of war (I know I shot several friendlies thinking they were Russians) and the inherent moral dilemmas of our modern world, but it felt so very disjointed. I also felt zero connection with my current avatar. It just seemed like they were more concerned with stringing together some cool locals rather than telling a great story, which is a shame.

I'll not even touch the MP issues I have with (the aerial junk, how random deaths feel, because of how a lot of the maps are designed).

6-12 hour campaign? Were we playing the same game? I finished it on Hardened difficulty in just under 4 hours, on my first playthrough, having no prior knowledge of the levels or anything like that. This is the shortest campaign I've played in a long, long time.

With that being said, it was still the most frenetic and action-packed 4 hours of gameplay I've had in a single player in as long as I can remember. Scene after scene had me saying "Holy crap!", especially in the latter half of the game.

The multiplayer will be the best out there for years to come. Nothing even remotely compares to what IW has done on the multiplayer portion of this game. It's CoD4 on steroids. Considering CoD4 was the best online shooter out there when this released, I'd say the rest of the pack has a lot of catching up to do.

Teh_Doomage:
It's all praise with little to no downsides. This game is no where near perfect.

I feel the review should have focused more on the game's shortcomings rather than just what it does. There is room for lots of improvement in Mewtwo.

/steps off his high horse.

Does anyone else smell Mewtwo being reviewed in ZP?

Awesome review, definitely picking this up someday once I get a 360.

campaign= 10/10, spec-ops= 8/10, multiplayer= 6/10. COD4 had a much better multiplayer but COD6 has got a great campaign

6 to 12 hours to complete the campaign? You can run through the campaign in 4 to 6 hours tops if you die a lot. The only way I could possibly see you get 12 hours out of this campaign is if you play through on each difficultly.

Doug:

Catchy Slogan:

True, that bit was awesome. Just not for the astronaut ;)

can someone tell me what is up with the space thing cause i played and finished the Campaign and i never saw that scene

Six to twelve hours for a sixty dollar game? That's just too much to ask. PC users who buy this title for that much money have no business decrying the "death of PC gaming" as they have voted with their money to participate in it.

Nine-hour game, no dedicated servers, hmm, sure, that sounds like something I should pay console game prices for. I strongly suspect that The Escapist has been infiltraed by corporate shills. Good review, Russ Pitts, I'm sure you didn't get a free copy or any kind of bonus for your shine-job on that turd.

Wait till after Christmas, when the price becomes something more reasonable.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here