Escape to the Movies: The Road

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Road

MovieBob finds nothing in a film about nothingness.

Watch Video

Damn, I love post-apocalypse cinema and thought this looked decent from the trailer. Vigo's casting should have tipped me off (seriously, has he done anything good since "Lord of the Rings?"). Didn't know it was based off a book, so I might go check that out at least.

Moviebob, you are a hero amongst Nerds: Lone Wolf and Cub, Road to Perdition, Sly Cooper, AND Read or Die in the same review? Kudos, you crazy bastard, kudos.

BTW: nice work using Yoko as a stand-in for a bibliophile.

Wouldnt LEON (The Professional) be considered a lone wolf and cub homage/rip off? Did that miss the point too. Shame if it did as i thought it was an awesome film.

out of curiosity do you have a plan to review Pirate radio as it looks like a real fun movie about a great piece of British radio/music history....

and I will remedy the fact i have not seen 12 angry men or the seventh seal.

DaxStrife:
Damn, I love post-apocalypse cinema and thought this looked decent from the trailer. Vigo's casting should have tipped me off (seriously, has he done anything good since "Lord of the Rings?"). Didn't know it was based off a book, so I might go check that out at least.

I believe he was History of Violence, which was really really good.

Jonny49:

DaxStrife:

Whoa, totally forgot about that. Thanks.
*Runs off to the nearest rental store*

Haven't seen anything about the film. Sounds, and looks pretty drab and lame, especially after 2012 which portrays an entertaining apocalypse.
My biggest qualm was:
1)Adaptation was wank. Fell asleep during it.
2)Lone Wolf and Cub is really, really bad. Exceptionally cheesy (Gun in pram...come on...)and lack of any bonding with the characters. I watched the film on 2x speed as it's subtitled. Missed out on nothing other than a waste of 1hr 15 or however long it took to watch.

Jonny49:

DaxStrife:

So's Eastern Promises

Its called "The Road".. it doesn even sounds intresting! There are books that need to stay books.

I wonder why you removed this episode last week after 45 minutes and replace it with Twilight...

Because you hoped for more traffic?

I'm slightly annoyed that there seems to be a turn towards censoring the F word in videos.

Either leave it out (least favourite), reduce it to F- or lower that damn bleep sound, or let us have an 18 version.

Don't go all Atkinson on us. :(

Random argument man:
I wonder why you removed this episode last week after 45 minutes and replace it with Twilight...

Or maybe he made both last week and The Escapist went with New Moon cause there was more hype around it last week and MovieBob had the Intermission script written for New Moon and not The Road?

Also last week this video wasn't edited.(There was no beeps.)

If I recall, this is the first time MovieBob didn't say "See you next time." at the end.

oliveira8:

Random argument man:

Or maybe he made both last week and The Escapist went with New Moon cause there was more hype around it last week and MovieBob had the Intermission script written for New Moon and not The Road?

Or maybe I betted him he wouldn't.

Anyway...another post-apocalypse? Woop. Another film not to see then.

The_root_of_all_evil:
I'm slightly annoyed that there seems to be a turn towards censoring the F word in videos.

Either leave it out (least favourite), reduce it to F- or lower that damn bleep sound, or let us have an 18 version.

Don't go all Atkinson on us. :(

Agreed. Also, I was kinda looking forward to seeing this movie...now...not so much. =/

crotalidian:
Wouldnt LEON (The Professional) be considered a lone wolf and cub homage/rip off? Did that miss the point too. Shame if it did as i thought it was an awesome film.

EDITTED - missed a word out.
Given it was a crap movie, probably not. But I've not seen Lone Wolf and Cub, so I for all I know, that could be the point.

Cormac McCarthy is an amazing author, and this is one of my favourite books. That is exactly why when i heard this movie was being made, i knew it would be a fuck-up.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that this movie is based off of a book, so yea, if in the book they are called "The Man" and "The Boy" and "The Boy" said "pup-up" then i applaud the director for not making a bastardized version of the book like so many others do.

Liked that bit you threw in from Adaptation.

Plus, here's an idea, the framework's already there, so why not a Left 4 Dead movie? Yeah, yeah, video game movies will never be good, blah-blah-blah, but again, the framework's already there, the action's there, the characters could be extended upon in the context of the movie. What I'm saying is, "it seems like a bad idea, but with the right cast and crew it could work."

DaxStrife:

Have you seen Vigo in A History of Violence? That was fairly entertaining! :)

MB202:
If I recall, this is the first time MovieBob didn't say "See you next time." at the end.

Dun Dun Duuuun!

Too bad, I loved the book, but my first thought when I heard they were making a movie of it was that it wouldn't work. It's just not that sort of book, interesting as it was.

Didn't he do this movie a couple weeks ago? I remember seeing this review before new moon.

But really, the Road was an okay book if your into that sort of thing, and he's right, you need to pace yourself correctly. A movie version of it would be terrible, like a book version of monty python.

I was kinda expecting Ninja Assassin this week, but this'll do.

Doug:

crotalidian:

Given it was a crap movie, probably. But I've not seen Lone Wolf and Cub, so I for all I know, that could be the point.

Sorry are you saying you didnt like Leon/The Proffesional? I really enjoyed that movie. Ok it was arty and pretentious butit was jean reno and natalie portman....

So now are people happy he's being more negative? Twice in a row in fact.

Anyway as for this films, I don't know, I do like post-apocalyptic themes and from what I've seen from previews/trailers, it looks great. We shall see, when more reviews come in.

It's a good review, MovieBob and the film looks like something I'm going to avoid.

But the beeping has to go. At first I thought it was kind of funny like random symbols sprouting up in comics indicating the character in a cartoon is swearing. But this is the Escapist--the website that has a really foul mouth Australian that makes witty sentences with politically-incorrect wording, so I doubt we need any censoring.

What's with all the beeping lately?

In convincing me not to see The Road, MovieBob has convinced me to see Adaptation. and the Seventh Seal - Well done.

crotalidian:

Doug:

crotalidian:

Given it was a crap movie, probably not. But I've not seen Lone Wolf and Cub, so I for all I know, that could be the point.

Sorry are you saying you didnt like Leon/The Proffesional? I really enjoyed that movie. Ok it was arty and pretentious butit was jean reno and natalie portman....

I didn't like it very much (and I made a mistake in my original post); to be honest, it just seemed very 'meh', and generic with only a vinear of artiness. But then again, I don't think I saw it when it was new, so it might not have been generic at the time, in the same way the first Halo wasn't generic because it was doing those things first and at the time was new.

Voltano:
It's a good review, MovieBob and the film looks like something I'm going to avoid.

But the beeping has to go. At first I thought it was kind of funny like random symbols sprouting up in comics indicating the character in a cartoon is swearing. But this is the Escapist--the website that has a really foul mouth Australian that makes witty sentences with politically-incorrect wording, so I doubt we need any censoring.

The beeping is The Escapist decision not the authors of the videos. You telling me that you didn't notice the beeping in ZP?

The Great JT:

Plus, here's an idea, the framework's already there, so why not a Left 4 Dead movie? Yeah, yeah, video game movies will never be good, blah-blah-blah, but again, the framework's already there, the action's there, the characters could be extended upon in the context of the movie. What I'm saying is, "it seems like a bad idea, but with the right cast and crew it could work."

Wouldn't it be essentially the same as any other Zombie Survival movie? I mean the whole game plot is basically a generic zombie movie plot spiced up a bit for the action.

oliveira8:
The beeping is The Escapist decision not the authors of the videos. You telling me that you didn't notice the beeping in ZP?

Eh? I'll have to check into that when I get some free time. Kind of disappointing though if that is true.

The Great JT:

Yeah because it's not like we have any other movies out there about for survivors of a zombie apacalypse... image

Oh wait

IT WONT WORK I JUST GET AN ERROR MESSAGE!

I liked how moviebob gave a metaphorical bitchslap to alot of the purists. As he seems to be doing alot.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here