Review: Dragon Age: Origins on the PC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Dragon Age: Origins on the PC

Dragon Age: Origins feels like a different game on the PC.

Read Full Article

nice feature, but i cant get the video to work, i think this is the first time ive seen you guys review games on several platforms, i never tried pressing tab in my play trough but i had survival so they showed up on the mini map, and i actually thought it enriched the expirence to search trough places for books or artifacts to help me understand the world, and give me xp.

edit: when i try to watch the movie i get a 303, error#2124.

edit: HUZZAH! i can watch it, by the way loved the "HUZZAH!", definitely on my top 10 HUZZAH list.

I have a pc capable of playing DAO at its high end, but I ultimately decided to go with the xbox version. Why? I like sitting on the floor in front of my tv and I like all of the other nostalgic things that go along with playing on a console.

For some reason, games feel less like a game when I am sitting with a desktop using a keyboard and mouse.

I agree it is a COMPLETELY different feeling on PC, and by that I mean it gets better, though to some that would sound impossible :). This is one of the few games warranting a separate review for the console and PC, and for more reasons than just stability and graphics go.

If you want and idea of the difference, look at the GRAW series. DA:O keeps everything from a designer point of view, whereas GRAW is almost a completely different game. But the game play itself changes so drastically. Same as GRAW the console version is much faster paced and has ass kickery galore. The PC version will feature much slower paced, yet far more strategic game play. Granted in GRAW this all boils down to personal taste as you can't just play it like you do the console version, but in DA:O you can ignore the isometric camera and mid battle pausing and just play it as you would the console version, just make sure you lower the difficulty one notch from the console version.

Strangely enough, with the increase in damage dealt and the possibility of friendly fire on normal that isn't there on the console version, I'm finding combat actually easier on the PC. I guess a tactical view makes all the difference.

Bioware has been making PC oriented RPGs better than anyone (save perhaps bethesda) and DA:O is no exeption. I remember even some other members of the Escapist team saying that Dragon age should be played on the PC. So I guess PC gaming is still happily dying?

PC gaming is not dying, just being shunned by developers ignorant enough to think that only the PC has piracy problems.

I think your voice in the video part is better than most of the other video reviews I have seen here.

To put in a crap way, but the best I can, it feels more genuine when you say "huzzah!" than when the "hazzah!" moment equivalent in other videos has been mediocre.

I can take a wild guess the PS3 will have worse wold textures but better character textures unless they got the PS3 development kinks worked out it might not be much of an improvement over the 360.

Greg Tito:
If you have a decent enough system to handle the graphics, and if you're reading this you probably do...

Haha!

How demanding do you think this website is on our pc's?

It may just be the youtube quality review video dumbing messing up some of the visual quality being discussed, but the ps3 version looks alot like this. There's no top-down tactical view, but the character models, and what I could distinguish of the surroundings look remarkably similar to this PC review.

hansari:

Greg Tito:
If you have a decent enough system to handle the graphics, and if you're reading this you probably do...

Haha!

I think the assumption is that if you are reading a gaming site. You probably own at least an above average machine.

Actually, the PC requirments are pretty lenient.

I have the recommended setup word for word, and I can max everything out and have a decently stable framerate (with the exception of being in Denerim, where it flies all over the place)

And my rig is about 2 years old, ancient in PC hardware terms.

Is there a reason the reveiw for the PS3 version wasn't included?

i am on the fence on buying dragon age, and a PS3 review would have helped.

Looks like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale with better graphics. I don't think anything can be better than Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn though...

Is the footage from 1:28 to 1:50 from the Warden's keep DLC?

Susan Ardnt > all other reviewers (tho i also like that other dude whos not the chief editor - not that hes all that bad either)

yet to play the game, it appeals to me alot but the one thing thats a big turn off is having to play and control multiple characters. i dont mind having a party at all, i just prefer to not have to do too much with them (other than keep them geared) mass effect is a good example of this, and being from the same developer im hoping that holds true to DA:O

would appreciate if someone could confirm this for me? :D

Khada:
Susan Ardnt > all other reviewers (tho i also like that other dude whos not the chief editor - not that hes all that bad either)

yet to play the game, it appeals to me alot but the one thing thats a big turn off is having to play and control multiple characters. i dont mind having a party at all, i just prefer to not have to do too much with them (other than keep them geared) mass effect is a good example of this, and being from the same developer im hoping that holds true to DA:O

Unfortunately, no. The tactics slots let you program a few nuggets of common sense into them (like healing people who are hurt and chugging mana potions), but for the most part you will have to pause the game after practically every action and tell them to move out of enemy firing range, gang up on that boss, etc. The key to winning a lot of fights is just telling everyone to 'hold position' at the right times and 'pulling' the next pack of bad guys with one character.

It's hard to get over the real-time aspects and start thinking of it as a turn-based game, but it really is. And you'll need to direct everyone.

Huh, so better graphics pull you out of the game... but no mention about when someone offers you a quest, and then an option IN THE DIALOGUE appears asking you to buy the quest.... Epic review skills there.

thoughtful and interesting.

Can you still get the armor for ME2 on the xbox if you get the pc version I wonder

carpathic:

Can you still get the armor for ME2 on the xbox if you get the pc version I wonder

Yes. BioWare's confirmed that no matter what platform you get ME2 on, the DLC code for the armor will work.

That said, I'm seriously considering switching my pre-order for ME2 Collector's from Xbox to PC. I won't be able to transfer my ME1 saves from my 360, but it seems I'll also be more likely to get a better game. I bought Dragon Age for the PC, and after playing it there and seeing it played on other platforms, I'm very glad I did.

Thankee Kindly Blueink Alchemist.

I think I might stick with mass effect on the xbox 360, but now I am seriously considering D A:O for the pc instead.

Ghadente:

Look to the bottom of the article. You'll have to do reading. :)

I'm a PS3 owner of this game; get it. It's good.

Garaw:

Khada:

Unfortunately, no. The tactics slots let you program a few nuggets of common sense into them (like healing people who are hurt and chugging mana potions), but for the most part you will have to pause the game after practically every action and tell them to move out of enemy firing range, gang up on that boss, etc. The key to winning a lot of fights is just telling everyone to 'hold position' at the right times and 'pulling' the next pack of bad guys with one character.

It's hard to get over the real-time aspects and start thinking of it as a turn-based game, but it really is. And you'll need to direct everyone.

Or you can do what I do, and rush every room like a death squad. So far, it's worked wonderfully. :) Save for one mission where I had to employee pull-tactics. (I play on hard mode too.)

Firia:

Or you can do what I do, and rush every room like a death squad. So far, it's worked wonderfully. :) Save for one mission where I had to employee pull-tactics. (I play on hard mode too.)

Maybe I'm just way overworking the problem as usual, then.

Slycne:

hansari:

Greg Tito:

Haha!

I think the assumption is that if you are reading a gaming site. You probably own at least an above average machine.

Enjoying gaming doesn't stop me being poor ;)

Let's face the facts people, Dragon Age is a PC game. After all, it's a BioWare RPG! It was released on consoles because they are all the rage and everyone keeps insisting that the PC is dead. (Phah). It's a PC game. Of course it'll be better on the PC.

I am interested in seeing what you guys think of the PS3 version though.

Garaw:

Khada:

bah damn, thanks a lot for that tho :)

Spitfire175:
I remember even some other members of the Escapist team saying that Dragon age should be played on the PC. So I guess PC gaming is still happily dying?

It's the best experience, but it's still probably going to sell fewer copies than either console version will. PC gaming isn't on the decline because developers are incapable of creating great PC games, but because PC gamers aren't buying the same quantity of games.

Jenx:
I am interested in seeing what you guys think of the PS3 version though.

It's not likely that we'll end up doing a review of the PS3 version. All reports say it plays the same as the Xbox 360 version, with better graphics but a less reliable frame rate.

The game is fantastic regardless of the platform, in my opinion. Pick which platform you like based on what you have and what you like playing on the most, and you won't end up being disappointed.

Garaw:

Firia:

Maybe I'm just way overworking the problem as usual, then.

Maybe. I have faith that "attack" is enough of a command to get by. I let the Tactics handle the immediate problems that crop up, and some combat things. Specifics like Reviving the fallen, or team heals, I get my hands on that personally. But I can't stand micromanaging, and won't have any part of it.

So far I do alright. :)

I got the game for the pc and after a rather rocky start have started to really get into it. The only thing that is kinda bugging me is the astronomical amount of blood. The random bloodied characters during and after battle doesnt bug me so much but why does the map have to have big blood splots as you are going places..?

Regardless I am rather taken aback at how much I am enjoying this considering I hated KOTOR and the combat scheme in that. The combat in this has very much grown on me and the difficulty is hard which makes winning a hard fight that much more rewarding.

Now if only my computer would work again I could play it again..

I have DA:O on the PC, and I find the graphics to be nothing special anyway, must be horrid for console users then if I find the graphics to be lacking on the PC version.

Would anybody be able to post me a link to the custom mods created by the community? I've found some, but they're hard to come by. I'm looking for one that lets you reset characters stats. I found it before, though cannot find it again. Much obliged if anybody can provide assistance.

Firia:

Ghadente:

Look to the bottom of the article. You'll have to do reading. :)

I'm a PS3 owner of this game; get it. It's good.

ok my bad, i must have missed the end of the article. I think i searched it for PS3 and not Playstation.
Even so, why is it then that they have not seen it on PS3?

in any case, i'm on ebay now trying to get me a non-retail price copy of the game now :)

Oh dear you didnt mention the mad hermit when it came to conversations. he was my favorite.

Finally a good perspective that actually points out the differences between the PC and 360 version. Doesn't matter to me though, I only get games on consoles so I'll get it for the 360, I saw the review and the graphics do not seem lackluster to me at all.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here