A View From the Road: World Without Warcraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Okay i am anti wow because it is so big now every game on the market is trying to be Wow2 the return of more CRAP play some shin megami tensai imagine online its on par with or not surpassing wow's " great world" and you know what else

ITS FREE YES A FREE GAME BEATS WOWcrap

in all honesty though Wow sucks its too generic and cartoony for my tastes and I know i am goign to get flamed for this but

World of warcrap can suck a hourses dick and i still wouldn't play it as lon as i have my shin

with out wowcrap gaming would be agin more diverse

JohnReaper:
Okay i am anti wow because it is so big now every game on the market is trying to be Wow2 the return of more CRAP play some shin megami tensai imagine online its on par with or not surpassing wow's " great world" and you know what else

in all honesty though Wow sucks its too generic and cartoony for my tastes and I know i am goign to get flamed for this but

World of warcrap can suck a hourses dick and i still wouldn't play it as lon as i have my shin

Wait, the Shin Megami Tensei MMO beats WoW?

Are you kidding me? I tried it out and it was possibly the worst hour I have ever spent in ANY online game ever.

Regardless of what you think about WoW, the SMT MMO was god awful.

CantFaketheFunk:

Kellerb:
Warhammer online would be more succesful, and therefore the world is better :P

I think WAR's flopping had less to do with WoW (though WotLK didn't *help*) and more to do with WAR being a kind of mediocre game.

On the other hand, you could argue that WAR has more subscribers in a world with WoW than it would in a world without, since more people were introduced to MMORPGs and might have gone on to give it a try.

WAR's failure had more to do with the fact that a buggy game was released rather than the game being poor.

JohnReaper:
Have you every Tried Playing the game Like a game and not a grind fest you ass mucnhing monkey ?

CantFaketheFunk:

JohnReaper:

Wait, the Shin Megami Tensei MMO beats WoW?

Are you kidding me? I tried it out and it was possibly the worst hour I have ever spent in ANY online game ever.

Regardless of what you think about WoW, the SMT MMO was god awful.

Wowtard, the combat system in SMTI is better than wows grind fest you little monkey I loved the game for its Customization and Demon control but you probably didnt do that cause you can't be bothered to play a game!

Haha, okay.

So, first lesson: Don't flame people on our forums. We welcome disagreements, we welcome discussions, as long as they're respectful. But flaming and personal attacks are absolutely uncalled for.

Second Lesson: Mod/staff sass. Don't do it.

Third Lesson: Especially don't flame people who have the power to ban you. That's like asking a police officer if he wants to come along when you hit up the convenience store across the street.

City of Heroes came out a few months before Wow and made MMOs perfectly accessible. The only thing it didn't have that WoW had was brand recognition.

CantFaketheFunk:

Haha, okay.

So, first lesson: Don't flame people on our forums. We welcome disagreements, we welcome discussions, as long as they're respectful. But flaming and personal attacks are absolutely uncalled for.

Third Lesson: Especially don't flame people who have the power to ban you. That's like asking a police officer if he wants to come along when you hit up the convenience store across the street.

BRING THE HAMMER DOWN!!!!!

Makes my day when I see trash get banned.

Anyway, I agree with the article for the most part.

Wow is a casual mmo players dream game with enough hardcore content to satisfy huge numbers f end game raiders.

Leveling my first char to 80 right now, blood elf warlock level 77 and it has been a long crazy ride with its ups and downs but it has never stopped being fun.

Exept when you goddamn allies corpse camp me five on one, seriously not cool!

I actually just wrote an essay on WoW for my English class where the task was to take an artifact or phenomena and use it as a metaphor for something in society. I used WoW as our need for escapism as people choose to live out their lives as a pretend badass while their real lives dwindle away before them.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm very critical of the game. I played for about a year and a half and I didn't quit so much as I got bored. After one weekend of non stop arena matches I was like "screw this, I don't feel like playing, I'm going to go do something else" and that wasn't meant to be permanent at the time but I looked around and said to myself "what the hell was I doing"?

Looking at my /played was horrendously embarrassing once I had stepped back and looked at the game and my time with it objectively. Yes I had found some "friends" in my guildmates but they weren't really my friends. I didn't know most of their real names.

While I like the teamwork that went into raids and stuff it just becomes too much. Meeting a raid schedule that demands you be on virtually all night every night. Arguing over loot. Losing the argument. Having the person who got the loot leave the guild the next day. It got old.

As for the not playing other games thing. Totally true. I barely touched my consoles while I was playing WoW.

Anyway long story short, used to play, quit, my life is much better off, WoW is evil.

Talking about how WoW changed the mmo industry makes me miss shartuul, eternally broken (each time in a new way) as it was. It was a full fledged boss fight that most players overlooked but was a real step forward in rewarding players that could complete complicated tasks without a group.

Rerolling(for the 5th time ><) and I curse the lack of healers available to do heroics with and the lack of soloable things that have any real difficulty. Beating 4 champions with 60% hp left is boring.

It also annoys me that Blizz has gotten progressively lazier about not homogenizing characters.

It would be a world where all my buddies that used to be great at shooters would still be great a shooters. WoW is the great Noobifier it doesn't matter how good you are as soon as you play it your never the same gamer again. It's the blight of PC gaming and while I commend it for taking so many noobs out of competitive play I loath it for destroying so many gamers that actually had potential.

It probably wouldn't be all that much different. Taking a look at MMOGChart.com, we'd probably be playing Lineage II and talking about what a dark and terrible place it would be without it leading the way. And whether LofRO could beat it. And whether it has a monopoly on the market, stifling competition by luring all of 6 million people with it's siren song every night. Will an MMO ever hit 10 million?

CantFaketheFunk:

Uh... yes, it is due to WoW. And I would disagree - other games may beat WoW in individual aspects, but WoW maintains a pretty high quality throughout, it's tremendously accessible, newb-friendly and not demanding from a technological perspective.

I don't think Counter-Strike got nearly as many people playing to play FPSes who weren't already playing FPSes as WoW introduced to MMORPGs.

Yeah--people I know who had NO interest in gaming somehow wound up playing WoW. WoW is to MMOs what DragonCon is to fantasy/sci-fi conventions--people who previously had no interest in participating in that kind of activity show a ridiculous level of dedication to that particular product.

If WoW hadn't been eh?

World of Warcraft was a typically average mmo that didn't excel in anything much and did a few things worse than many other mmorpgs. What it did have is a huge potential to be yet another gathering place for those who play games that they HATE. Its not so much the game that people have a problem with, its some of the players and on that note, getting back to the topic, if WoW never existed, many many gamers would be vigorously defending another average mmo with the typical zealotry that plagues the gaming community.

Although an interesting scenario, its a bit like asking "what if cigarettes weren't invented", the answer is obvious: "a lot more people would be addicted to something else"

( Note: if you read the first line and reached for the 'quote' button to flame, guess what, your a fan-boy. )

If wow hadn't been made we wouldn't have had a lot of good times during classic and BC, and even the beginning parts of WotLK. But we also wouldn't have the incredible let down of post-Ulduar WotLK and what is essentially a giant rehash of 5 year old content in Cataclysm.

I liken it to doing cocaine. The first rail or two is AMAZING, but pretty soon you're doing line after line just to maintain, spending way more money on it than you originally intended, and in the end you're going to have the inevitable crash; during this miserable downward spiral, you find yourself contemplating why you even started doing it to begin with, when you knew when you started what the consequences would be. You're disappointed in yourself and everyone who encouraged this behavior, and that feeling is reciprocal with your similarly dejected peers. The end result: you're a few hundred dollars poorer with next to nothing to show for it and the stories you are able to relay from the experience are completely divergent from anyone who wasn't involved. You slowly creep back into "sobriety" and realize the only thing left to do is drink some coffee, take a shower, put on some clean clothes, and get back to being a somewhat productive individual while trying to block out the fuzzy memories of your highly regrettable actions.

If WoW didn't exist?

Well, for one thing, a lot of gamers I know would probably be a lot thinner than they currently are.

(Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! But it's true!)

Wow, what a pointless article. I have nothing against the existence of WoW and if somebody truly enjoys it, well, have fun, but in an article like this one would expect it to be written by somebody with at least some grasp of objectivity, but instead we get a fanboy's love letter.

Well, whatever. Like this article would have mattered one way or another.

Interesting article, and you're right; without WoW, the idea of a massively popular MMO would be looked on as laughable. I am curious though - where does this figure of 24-to-36 million subscribers come from for WoW? I heard 12 million most recently, and on top of that, many of those will be alternative accounts for people who multi-box and so forth.

CantFaketheFunk:

What if World of Warcraft had never been made?

Read Full Article

Also, on page 2, what game is that picture from?

Yes the MMORPGs wouldnt be as popular today if WoW didnt exist. And even after Blizzard took all the previous ideas polished them and then dressed em in diamonds its still...after 5 years...impossible for other companies to even copy it and be at least 50% as good as wow.
Fact remains WoW for all the haters around (and even my guildmates whine about the game) was and still is the best online game. And Blizzard keeps adding new stuff and making them great. They may not exactly invent new stuff but what they do rly good is re-inventing old ideas and making them good.

I think if wow didnt exist today`s MMORPGs would suck even more. . .but i rly hope something better comes someday. I mean wow is great but i wanna see progress. The tech has evolved alot too. Sigh how i wish to see a Town in a MMORPG to be as big as a irl city :O That will be the day when MMORPGs rly hit the mark :> Imagine 1mil ppl online in a single realm whooah thats massive :D

Personally, I think it'd be a better place in general.

I may sound like the son of Jack Thompson here or something, but there are certain things about the Internet that just mess with people's heads. WoW is one of them, and along with WoW is 4Chan and a number of other places as well.

I'll admit, a vast majority of us are strong-minded enough to use WoW in moderation, responsibly, however, WoW and 4Chan are a couple of those things that takes some people's minds and gives them a good brainwashing.

The worst part is that it's not just some screwed up, biased opinion I have here. I actually know or knew people that have had this happen to them! I used to know people who were completely normal, started to visit 4Chan regularly, and now I can't have a normal conversation with them anymore! I also knew people who started playing World of Warcraft, and they get so wrapped up in it, and possibly the friends they make on it, to hold a real conversation with me (if it's an Internet friend), or they just never want to hang out anymore.

Then there's the people who just lose so much sleep and all the time from it, become less productive or less social after they begin playing.

And again, I realize this probably isn't a majority of players, but it's a shame that these things happen to these people. What makes this whole thing even worse, is that I think it happens mostly to intelligent people. People who could be spending their time on such a more worthy endeavor than the grind that is an MMO.

Lastly, it's not just WoW I despise for this. It's all MMOs. I know how tempting the whole thing is, I have tried a particular MMO (Ragnarok Online to be specific. I owned a *censored* that other people played on.) before, and now I know to stay away from them.

EDIT: I'd like to say that I don't disagree with anything but the last sentence in the article. I think everything you said was right. However, to me, those things seem small and insignificant in comparison. I suppose that is a small personal bias, though.

It would be a better place for all of us. There's so much time wasted in there, they could have anything else at that time, like finding cure for cancer or something.

It would definetely be a plus because let's see...it's because of the lives of those idiots playing that piece of...let me put it this way the game is awesome and is a solid tittle and has changed the face the gaming blah blah blah...IT HAS RUINED LIVES !!! That's the only thing I will say I haven't experienced it but many frinds have...The world would be a better place

Schlagwerk:
The fact that this article is written by someone who got to level 80 discredits everything in it.

The fact that that post was written by someone with two posts discredits everything in it.
Don't be an idiot.
Welcome to the Escapist.

Anyway, I hate to admit it, but WoW has been important to my life.
I learned to type there.
I also learned how much I enjoy being a dick to idiots.
How much I enjoy being the center of attention and being funny.

And I met a lot of really cool people there.
Hell, when I leave home, the first thing I'm going to do is visit a girl I met on WoW, who has been my best friend for four years now.

So life without it would probably suck, because I was already kind of tired of gaming back then.
By now I probably would have dropped it entirely.

Kellerb:
Warhammer online would be more succesful, and therefore the world is better :P

no, warhammer online pretty much follows up on the WoW formula so therefore warhammer online would have never been made in a WoW-less world.

on the other hand, warcraft 4 would be EPIXSH*TZLEGENDARY

If anything, I'd prolly not be online as much. I doubt I'd have kept playing CoH/CoV for equally as long.

I only started playing WoW because my ex gf kept pestering me to. I hated it at first but when i took a break from CoH, I picked it back up and have been playing ever since.

I only started gaming online because I work nights and hate television, plus console games were starting to bore me.

If anything, had WoW never been made, I'd likely be the owner of an X-Box which, up to this point, I've resisted buying. WoW is basically just something to do when I'm home alone after work. *shrug*

I would have had a lot more money for things that mattered... like books for college, food, or gas!

Doug:

The one of the gryphon flying over the harbor?

It's from WoW, in Grizzly Hills above the southern PVP area.

Dark Templar:

CantFaketheFunk:

Haha, okay.

BRING THE HAMMER DOWN!!!!!

Makes my day when I see trash get banned.

Anyway, I agree with the article for the most part.

Wow is a casual mmo players dream game with enough hardcore content to satisfy huge numbers f end game raiders.

Leveling my first char to 80 right now, blood elf warlock level 77 and it has been a long crazy ride with its ups and downs but it has never stopped being fun.

Exept when you goddamn allies corpse camp me five on one, seriously not cool!

Epic Win. =P

I would say WoW definately enlightened me to the potential of online gaming and considering I have an Xbox Live Gold account and regulary play online using it is proof enough for me, it definately influenced me. While we all knew the potential of online gaming before I would argue that WoW helped push it more into the mainstream, it showed us how an online experience could be done well. Although i only played as far as TBC I still don't regret the enjoyment I got out of it, even if I doubt I will return to Azeroth again.

A world without nerds yelling "For the Horde" and "Glory to the Alliance" at each other in convention halls?

What kind of mad world would that be.

Jiki:
Wow, what a pointless article. I have nothing against the existence of WoW and if somebody truly enjoys it, well, have fun, but in an article like this one would expect it to be written by somebody with at least some grasp of objectivity, but instead we get a fanboy's love letter.

Well, whatever. Like this article would have mattered one way or another.

You mean the part where I conclude that in the big picture, a world without WoW wouldn't be as different as, say, a world without Doom, GTA3, or even EverQuest?

Culturally, though, I don't think you have to be a fanboy at all to recognize that the game has had a gigantic impact upon the PC gaming landscape and how many gamers are perceived in the public eye. That's not a subjective opinion, that's just kind of an obvious fact.

Doug:
Interesting article, and you're right; without WoW, the idea of a massively popular MMO would be looked on as laughable. I am curious though - where does this figure of 24-to-36 million subscribers come from for WoW? I heard 12 million most recently, and on top of that, many of those will be alternative accounts for people who multi-box and so forth.

CantFaketheFunk:

Read Full Article

That number comes from the interview with Rob Pardo, where he said that the overall lifetime subscriber base of WoW was "double, maybe closer to triple" the current subscriber base of 12m (and honestly, I would be incredibly surprised if more than a tiny percentage of those were multi-box accounts). So while you're right that right NOW there are only 12m, that's talking total subscribers over the past five years who might not be playing anymore.

And that's also from WoW :)

Had there been no WOW there would have been something else, someone was bound to strike the gold eventually.

CantFaketheFunk:

Doug:

CantFaketheFunk:

Read Full Article

That number comes from the interview with Rob Pardo, where he said that the overall lifetime subscriber base of WoW was "double, maybe closer to triple" the current subscriber base of 12m (and honestly, I would be incredibly surprised if more than a tiny percentage of those were multi-box accounts). So while you're right that right NOW there are only 12m, that's talking total subscribers over the past five years who might not be playing anymore.

And that's also from WoW :)

Ahhhhh, right - I see - I didn't catch the 'lifetime' subscribers bit; yeah, that makes sense. And you're probably right about the multi-boxer's.

And interesting, it looked more...high detailed that I thought WoW was. But then again, I didn't run my trial account for long, so I didn't see much of the place.

Actually, the worst thing World of Warcraft has ever done is make developers obsessed with money. Blizzard themselves made me game for its sheer epic factor and it deserves its massive success, yet others attempted to create "WoW killers" in hopes of taking away its subscribers and make more money. What happened to making a fun game? It builds customer goodwill and more likely to become more profitable.

Unfortunately Conan, Lord of the Rings and Warhammer were franchises that would have been so much funner than Warcraft to immerse yourself into if it weren't for the developer's obsession to surpass the giant. At least Aion didn't try to, but I'm unsure of that game's success.

"Without Warcraft to show how popular a MMOG could be, would Star Wars: The Old Republic ever have gotten the green light".

God, don't make me think that, or I will single-handedly bring down WoW (some how!). The thought that we could of had a true sequel to actually finish off one of my favourite game series, and (mainly because of the first) with one of the most interesting stories I've come across is infuriating to say the least.

Mordwyl:
Actually, the worst thing World of Warcraft has ever done is make developers obsessed with money. Blizzard themselves made me game for its sheer epic factor and it deserves its massive success, yet others attempted to create "WoW killers" in hopes of taking away its subscribers and make more money. What happened to making a fun game? It builds customer goodwill and more likely to become more profitable.

Unfortunately Conan, Lord of the Rings and Warhammer were franchises that would have been so much funner than Warcraft to immerse yourself into if it weren't for the developer's obsession to surpass the giant. At least Aion didn't try to, but I'm unsure of that game's success.

While that is potentially unfortunately for the game developer (that potentially could have used the resources to something more successful), it's good for the genre. Enticing companies to become as successful or to beat the leader creates new features, ideas, and concepts. Not only have other companies "stolen" ideas from WoW, WoW has stolen the ideas that these companies created to take share away from WoW. Ignoring the stuff that was initially stolen from games like EQ, WoW has recently stolen concepts from the self-proclaimed WoW-killers. For example, WoW will be adding more /dances for their characters. Many other games have been recently adding and releasing with many pre-programmed dances for their characters. This is in itself interesting because WoW's dances showed user interest in such silliness, and they expanded beyond what WoW did, and now WoW has to play catchup in order to keep treading water in the feature-creep.

Kuliani:

Mordwyl:

While that is potentially unfortunately for the game developer (that potentially could have used the resources to something more successful), it's good for the genre. Enticing companies to become as successful or to beat the leader creates new features, ideas, and concepts. Not only have other companies "stolen" ideas from WoW, WoW has stolen the ideas that these companies created to take share away from WoW. Ignoring the stuff that was initially stolen from games like EQ, WoW has recently stolen concepts from the self-proclaimed WoW-killers. For example, WoW will be adding more /dances for their characters. Many other games have been recently adding and releasing with many pre-programmed dances for their characters. This is in itself interesting because WoW's dances showed user interest in such silliness, and they expanded beyond what WoW did, and now WoW has to play catchup in order to keep treading water in the feature-creep.

Ideas are all well and good; it's the intention that affects what a game will be like. Ultimately to truly "kill" World of Warcraft the proper mindset shouldn't be "I want to make more money Blizzard does" but rather "I want to make a better game than Blizzard have". Of the three franchises I've mentioned, has any one of them remained or even increased its subscriber base since their release? The last news I've heard was of WAR's abysmal support and improper balancing, losing more than half of its staff in the process. Hell, I quit the game before a month passed just because it felt like a blatant bootleg Korean copy of the giant MMO.

Product innovation entails taking an already existing product and making it better. Blizzard did this magnificently and considering it took them five years for the original development it certainly shows. That of course was ten years ago and technologies are drastically improved, so wouldn't a similar time become the norm in order to make an equally good or better game? Sometimes you'd have to wonder if the creators of these failed attempts really do consider such things in mind instead of picking a good franchise from the IP lottery and rehash a WoW in <franchise>'s clothing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here