Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

maddawg IAJI:
Pretty good review. Proably the best in a long while (At least in my opinon). I can understand the players dismay at the Single player, but I was kinda iffy about the Co-op. Good to know that it may actually be good.

OMI GOD! Adam! You've watched a ZP video! And have the same opinion on it as I do!

Their is a god...

MEANWHILE, IN HELL...

"That was nice of you to grant Emmy's wish Satan sir." Said Princes Diana.

"Please. From now on call me Michael-" Said Sata, turning around, revealing himself to be non other than-

"-Micheal Jackson." Finished Satan, before doing the infamous crotch grab

MW2 is a very good game but I definitly agree they went overboard with trying to recapture the magic of getting nuked from the first one. By the third time I was really more annoyed than shocked.

Cptn_Squishy:
my problem with the review is that he seems to be trying for some kind of world record or something. I understand that an accelerated pace is part of the appeal, but at least before i could understand at least half of what he was saying even when he was doing it in an accent.

Your ears are too slow - go and upgrade them.

Brilliant, I loved solid soap joke.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, there were some brilliant parts in cod 2, but then all of sudden it gets torn to bits by yet another "oh I have been hit by a bullet and everythings gone blurry" moment, or a few other over used cliches like the "suprise ! you`ve been murdered"

It's nice to see Yahtzee ignore the cliches; this could have easily become Grenade of Airstrikes:Modern Campers 2 Strawberry Jam Edition.

I wonder if Yahtzee meant anything significant by 'pre-owned games scam' ?

It seemed to be on a deeper level than the rest of the video.

Ah well, I doubt he'll even see this in between playing whatever game he's reviewing next.

Seemed to me that Yahtzee said exactly what I was expecting him to say - too short and too gimmicky. But I just do enjoy the way he says it (cat in a ceiling fan gave me a chuckle, as did Solid Soap).

Did anyone else feel like he was more pissed off than usual? I expect a degree of vitriol, but it feels like this game really hit a button. Perhaps it is the big-budget nature of it or maybe the fact a game that sounds a bit mediocre and re-hashy is making big bucks which just encourages more mediocrity.

awesome episode good job

I actually really enjoyed this review, it seemed on the money for the most part. Hopefully he uses that james bond face more.

Distorted Stu:
The bullets and eye bursting part is so true. You need to be a damn ninja most missions.

The favella on veteran was one of the most frustrating things I have ever done inmy entire life... clearing the way ahead to have some arse appear on a roof behind you and go *blam blam blam* was rather annoying. Sure the campaign was short, but I dont regret buying the game.

I feel that the dev team for this could have just made an animated movie, or series of books and everything would have been fine, infact they probably would have won many awards, so many that the box being shipped to them would need to reinforced with kryptonite. Yet sadly the media wants to shoot, oh god thats horrible pun, for having our amazing narrative in intereactive-game format. Although I would have most definitely would have bought a book with the same story, or watched a movie like this.

Well I agree with Yahtzee's point that the story makes zero sense, but I can't believe he didn't try the multiplayer. I hate multiplayer too, but MW2 is pretty much designed for MP.

this amazing to me that this one has such good things said about it while world at waSTOP (i dont want to get into this tonight so i shall say something else)

the puppy thing wasnt funny and it kind of killed the rest of the video after i saw it lucky for you it was at the end........animal abuse, not cool

and i would also like to say that i wish modern warfare 2 would die due to its spectatular vampireing of players from gears halo rainbow 6 and bad company

miracleofsound:

TheRealCJ:

miracleofsound:
Huh.

Reviewing Call of Duty without the multiplayer is like reviewing a Big Mac without mentioning what the meat tastes like.

That may be the dumbest thing I've read today.

Call of Duty has ALWAYS been story first, multiplayer second. The problem is that the HALO fantards discovered that COD4's multiplayer was pretty good, and suddenly it's the latter first.

That was rather rude, but anyway... no accounting for manners...

The main focus for most people who bought MW2 was multiplayer.

Infinity Ward themselves even said in interviews that they were surprised how many people never even played the campaign in the first game, despite logging weeks worth of playtime into the multi.

http://www.theconsolebattle.com/2009/04/30-of-cod4-players-ignored-single.html

Now who's dumb?

Call of Duty used to be single player first, multiplayer second, but that is no longer the case.

Also, you may not like Halo but that doesn't mean people who do are 'tards'.

Your entire tone is rather annoying, actually.

You're right, and I apologise.

But please, keep in mind I did say fantards. Which is what fans of MewTwo are quickly becoming.

TheRealCJ:

miracleofsound:

TheRealCJ:

miracleofsound:
Huh.

Reviewing Call of Duty without the multiplayer is like reviewing a Big Mac without mentioning what the meat tastes like.

That may be the dumbest thing I've read today.

Call of Duty has ALWAYS been story first, multiplayer second. The problem is that the HALO fantards discovered that COD4's multiplayer was pretty good, and suddenly it's the latter first.

That was rather rude, but anyway... no accounting for manners...

The main focus for most people who bought MW2 was multiplayer.

Infinity Ward themselves even said in interviews that they were surprised how many people never even played the campaign in the first game, despite logging weeks worth of playtime into the multi.

http://www.theconsolebattle.com/2009/04/30-of-cod4-players-ignored-single.html

Now who's dumb?

Call of Duty used to be single player first, multiplayer second, but that is no longer the case.

Also, you may not like Halo but that doesn't mean people who do are 'tards'.

Your entire tone is rather annoying, actually.

You're right, and I apologise.

But please, keep in mind I did say fantards. Which is what fans of MewTwo are quickly becoming.

Apology accepted graciously.

MW2 fans are indeed very intense and vocal, but I guess I can understand because it's such a big release and we gamers get very excited and obsessive about our games.

The amount of bitching and whining about it is a lot, but in the case of PC gamers, justified.

I wouldn't like to see it get the same level of Halo does, because in my opinion it's a superior game (though I did find Halo 1 and 3 a lot of fun)

KiKiweaky:

Distorted Stu:
The bullets and eye bursting part is so true. You need to be a damn ninja most missions.

The favella on veteran was one of the most frustrating things I have ever done inmy entire life... clearing the way ahead to have some arse appear on a roof behind you and go *blam blam blam* was rather annoying. Sure the campaign was short, but I dont regret buying the game.

I found it much easier than COD4 Veteran.

Favela wasn't too bad once you learned to just be a camping little bastard, get a wall behind your back so you can't be flanked, and let them come to you.

My ultra pussy technique was to hide behind the dumpster right at the beginning, before even dropping down to the 2 cars, and pick em off left and right.

Where should I start?

What I do get I agree with, for the most part; but there are parts of the review I didn't get at all......actually, maybe it's the timing, cause I watch it at night, after school, when I'm physically and mentally exhausted.

The developers do seems to be too attached to the concept of killing the player a bit much. To top on that, I kind of get this feeling like the script seems so similar to MW1; some conspirator try to stirs things up a bit a possibly try to start a war, and you some soldiers of all people will need to save the day. The ending scene also seems so familiar; you're heavily wounded but with sheer will you manage to kill the antagonist anyway......which makes me wonder whether Soap is secretly related to Batman, and had been wearing a cutting edge combat suit under those uniforms.

I'd still say the game play works, although the story could use a touch of innovation. But that comment is strictly for the developers; what I do have to complain about Yahtzee is that for me it's getting harder and harder to get what he is actually saying......I get about less than 30% of the entire video and had to fill the rest of the blanks with my imagination; I couldn't laugh at all throughout this video......I wonder whether or not it is because I'm getting over Zero Punctuation; or is it because Yahtzee's demonstration style had change so much over the years that it no longer is the funny yet witty video I adore so many episodes ago......well, I do hope whatever it is its only temporary. I'll see you guys under the discussion thread for the next review.

Typical Yahtzee over-the-top, the only thing I agree on is that regenerating health can go suck on a horse shwong

It did "kinda" (okay, amazingly) feel like Infinity Ward was taking the piss with this game.

"Wanna quote Donald Rumsfeld?"

"Is that ironic or serious?"

"Fuck if I know."

"Oh yeah and let's kill the main character until the player's sick of it."

"Brilliant idea."

Evil Tim:
There's a launch near the end of the first game [seen in 2's intro] with the whole countdown to impact deal. Trouble is, MAD is based on an essentially launch-on-launch response to strategic nuclear deployments, so a whole lot of missiles would have been coming back the other way. Sure, in that instance the order might have got out that the SAS were trying to do something about it, but in 2 it's not even authorised.

oh yes i forgot about that one
but

in two, its like they took all the original parts of modwar and copied them about 3 times

its still one of my favourite games this year, but not as good as it could have been

Chieffw:
Typical Yahtzee over-the-top, the only thing I agree on is that regenerating health can go suck on a horse shwong

the blood spatter thing was annoying after the first time i was shot
i actually prefer the glowing red screen, cos then at least you knew how much youd been damaged
nows its a case of "is falling 2 metres the same as being shot twice in the stomach the same?" and i cant tell the difference
ive never disagreed with yahtzee as much as now. still spec ops is fun, i did also shout "take point". but i had no problems with the game length, its longer than most 360 games were when i first got it. gears and blacksite were only about 5 hours long

I loved the entire package. The Story of 2 needs to be taken with 1, if you haven't played 1 or have the brain ability of a goldfish you're right farked with trying to understand what's happening. The Veteran mode for this game is much easier, no more un-ending spawn closets of doom until you feel the urge to run like a mad man to trigger a check point. Just sit back and kill every AI smuck you see until they don't pop up, proceed forward, repeat. Ghost being killed was more of a running joke to me, being Gaz died exactly the same way in the first game (minus horrible burning at the end.) and is voiced by exactly the same guy as before.

Allen was little more then a plot device to kick off the main plot point. (Considering you can skip the mission he's killed on, he's hardly a PC over little more then Training Wheels.) So it's per the norm of MW1, 1 PC gets killed, 1 important NPC gets killed, 1 nuke is used and the main baddie get's his face re-arranged at the end.

Also, I was expecting a World In Conflict reference for the "Russia/USSR Invades America!", for shame!

I give a damn about russians. Croshow is an anglo-saxon nazi a-hole!!

the bit yahtzee mentioned about dying without it triggering the cutscene, that happened exactly 25 goddamn times before i was in the right spot for the cutscene to kick in. damn glitch i hope it is fixed in the next update.

Normally I agree with Yahtzee but in MY opinion he was totally off this week. For starters not playing the online multiplayer (the games main strength) is just dumb if you're reviewing it -and a little anti-social...

Secondly I don't see the problem with the single player campaign, yes it's short and yes it's actually challenging, but it's a FPS, long and drawn out storylines are just fail, COD campaigns are explosive and dramatic.

Also what's the deal with all this "Oh your character dies like 348274793 million times"? You die once at the start to develop the plot, and you die at the end to emphasise a point, would you prefer to be just told over the radio "OMG you won't believe what he did!" "Really?! OMG! oh no he didin'" Or actually see it for yourself? As I said before though, normally I love the reviews (watch them every week) but I was well disappointed with this one.

"TornadoADV Exactly, finally someone that understands the story.

Can someone post a transcript of the words? It was too fast for me, and I missed the subtle nuances.

Personally I see MW2 as another one of those games like Halo 3 where the 'multiplayer makes up for it' kinda thing.

I wonder how many people even bothered with playing the single player when they first bought it or went to frag city with the rest of the buddies.

They also seemed to miss the mark with some of the best bits from MW1 - such as the nuke part (as previously pointed out) but in MW1 it had alot of 'depth' and feeling, where as in MW2 it just feels like another frag grenade thrown around. Even when they tried to replace the ghillie suit section from MW1 with a 'snow stealth section' it doesn't really give the same feeling of tension when your inches away from being spotted or ran over.

Realism has never been a strong point for CoD games, so I'm not really surprised that the only valid tactic in MW2 is 'run around like your on fire and shoot things'.

Mad Marx:
I don't see the problem with the single player campaign, yes it's short and yes it's actually challenging, but it's a FPS, long and drawn out storylines are just fail, COD campaigns are explosive and dramatic.

Those aren't arguements.

lizards:
the puppy thing wasnt funny and it kind of killed the rest of the video after i saw it lucky for you it was at the end........animal abuse, not cool

Pretty sure he wasn't advocating it. In the same way he wasn't denying the Holocaust. I'm also pretty sure he's not pro-terrorist.

Anyway, funny stuff. I'm not big on shooters, and I don't play FPS period, and I don't like games with no solid single player, and....Darn it, I know I was going somewhere with this....

My main point is, my mind was already made up. I don't hate the game, but clearly this game isn't for me. But it's good to see this review didn't entirely rip MW2 apart, and also good to see someone taking a more pragmatic approach to the whole "controversy" thing.

Also, is it wrong that when I heard about multiple PC deaths, my first thought was Call of Cthulhu?

Hmm well I have to say I enjoyed this game quite a bit. I had first decided I wasn't going to buy it, I had never bought the first one and it did not really appeal to me. But after trying out the multiplayer i was really taken aback. I had honestly not had that much fun in an FPS since, well, counter strike. And, although overall the campaign was slightly wonky. I thought there were some pretty moving parts. When Person X calmly shoots you, has his cronies poor Gasoline all over you, and then light you on fire, I was pretty darn moved.

Hilarius review ^_^

elpresidente:
Can someone post a transcript of the words? It was too fast for me, and I missed the subtle nuances.

Nukes were fun the first time. By the 3rd time we are glowing too much to care. Single player too short with no story and big walls... Cat in ceiling fan with eyeballs bursting. (oh any you have to die a lot to win.) Co-op good. Other Multiplayer, too many idiots to care about.... CoD:zillion and 1: Modern Warfare Solid Soap 3 coming soon, Now go be good little fan boys..

There ya go. Or atleast as much as I am willing to write.

And of course, good review, for a game that I won't be buying (poor multiplayer got totaled in the PC version :( )

TheRealCJ:

SuperTurkey:
Complaint about not covering multiplayer.

Argument that it wasn't needed

Even if it isn't a multiplayer game specifically, it is still a game WITH multiplayer, and so it seems strange not to have at least tried a match (and then we could have had an awesome rant from yahtzee about the people online).

Aleate:

I had to lol at "MW3: Solid Soap"

Me too, that cracked me up. =-)

whycantibelinus:

Aleate:

I had to lol at "MW3: Solid Soap"

Me too, that cracked me up. =-)

And the next one is going to be called "Soap Eater"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook