Stolen Pixels #146: The Reason for the Season

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #146: The Reason for the Season

When all games are being released on the same date, how are you supposed to choose which ones to buy?

Read Full Article

Indeed, the fact that so many are released in such a short space of time around this season is extremely annoying. I think it's done so that not-so-good games will end up getting higher scores than they otherwise would since reviewers 'can't be assed' and have a lot of others to go through.

It's why I avoid buying games released during this season unless I'm sure it'll be good.

Any reviews that feature the words "compelling" or "cinematic" a lot of the time shouldn't really be listened to.

Totally agree. Why couldn't they have released some of those games earlier so it was a bit more spread out, not really healthy for anybodys' wallet that they all come at the same time xD

Oh powerful laughter was had, most of it at the text rather than the comic.

I do have to wonder why there seems to be a summer drought for games. No one in Britain wants to go outside during the summer. It's raining.

Shamus Young:

When all games are being released on the same date, how are you supposed to choose which ones to buy?

Pick up a case of each game. Throw them at the store clerk. Whichever one concusses him you buy.

Obviously Guitar Hero/Rock Band and any special edition games have an innate advantage for this being that they're larger and heavier.

I hate having to choose between great games

Nice one. You are right, there are too many games and i have cant play all even if i pirated them. Its just stupid to release this much at once and then to delay the rest though

Amnestic:
Oh powerful laughter was had, most of it at the text rather than the comic.

I do have to wonder why there seems to be a summer drought for games. No one in Britain wants to go outside during the summer. It's raining.

Shamus Young:

Pick up a case of each game. Throw them at the store clerk. Whichever one concusses him you buy.

Obviously Guitar Hero/Rock Band and any special edition games have an innate advantage for this being that they're larger and heavier.

The UK weather sucks...

Also, you win some Internets for the hilarious 'concuss store clerk' idea.

Atleast its close to christmas, i can buy 1-2 and let other people fill in the rest.

I agree. There are so many good games now, and yet so little 6 months ago.

Let's compare: Summer? Prototype... Red Faction on consoles...

Now: Assassin's Creed 2 on consoles, Dragon Age, Borderlands, L4D2, Aion (meh), Torchlight, MW2, COME ON!

At least in Q1 2010 we're getting Mass Effect 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 for PC.

I know exactly what you mean. About the end of summer this year, there were threads that said "Best Game of '09 So Far" and such and the only game of 2009 I had purchased was Prototype. Over the summer, there are no new releases and that is ridiculous. Do you think that you will lose money by being the only new game on the market? See, the reason why a bunch of sales are down for genuinely good games during this time of year is because they all have to compete with Modern Warfare 2. People are spending their money on that game and then not having enough to buy any other games. At least attempt to spread it out a bit.

Totally! I've bought like six games in the past month, and before that there was a big gaping hole of nothing, so big I considered going back to play WoW for a few months to have SOMETHING to play!

Amnestic:
No one in Britain wants to go outside during the summer. It's raining.

How's that different from Spring, Autumn or Winter?

Two things. First, it's been a while since Travis has been in one of these strips. Second, I completely agree. Luckily, over the summer, I was able to keep myself sane with Cave Story and Mega Man X Collection (well, I didn't say if I was angry during these plays or not, but I was sane.). It may not have been much compared to the standard quality of games these days, but it sufficient to keep me in my gaming ways.

"Hohoho! Merry Christmas!"

That's precisely how the companies are thinking. Dumping all the games just in time for the Christmas while forgetting the rest of the periods. And you know what is funny? The fact that quite a few games were delayed for the 1st quarter of 2010. There were even more games scheduled for Q4 2009!

I was blessed to get AC2, MW2, and L4D2.

Haha, I love his t-shirt, that's brilliant. Usually I consider Travis to be a troll, though that doesn't seem to apply in this case.

Unfortunately, Travis' plight is pretty accurate according to the people I've talked to. A lot of the more popular gaming magazines and sites encourage their writers to try every major release instead of doing the sensible thing and dividing them up.

How compelling... ;)

I'll be playing Baldur's Gate this holiday season.

Doug:
How compelling... ;)

Are you compelled?

I'm compelled!

Everyone can just choose their games based on which ones have the biggest sequel number on the end.

Seems thats how most people do it anyway.

Thank god Broketober is over.

Georgeman:
"Hohoho! Merry Christmas!"

That's precisely how the companies are thinking. Dumping all the games just in time for the Christmas while forgetting the rest of the periods. And you know what is funny? The fact that quite a few games were delayed for the 1st quarter of 2010. There were even more games scheduled for Q4 2009!

Welcome to economics 101:

Lession 1: put product out when there are the most people to buy it (i.e. the holiday season). The spring and fall are the main times you will see public launches for most products, whether it be for Fashion, Movies, or Video Games.

Also: is that shirt availible to purchase? Because if it isn't, I smell a money-making oppertunity, if this thread is any indication...

Lets be honest it is only the tip of the iceberg.

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
Army of Two: The 40th Day
Bayonetta
Darksiders
Dark Void
MAG
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2
Lost Planet 2
Dante's Inferno
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Napoleon: Total War
Star Trek: Online

MARCH

God of War III
Final Fantasy XIII
Command & Conquer 4
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

TheLegend84:

-snip list-

Oh Jay-sus he is right!

OT: Very funny. I really laughed at the last panel.

Not to mention the fact that the common gamer isn't going to have the cash or time to buy all these games and play them, so you're depriving gamers of the opportunity to play your games, and therefore make money off of them.

I chuckled
Silly game companies. Wanting to release all their games at the same time

TheLegend84:

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
Bayonetta
Darksiders
Dark Void
MAG
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2
Lost Planet 2
Dante's Inferno

MARCH

God of War III
Final Fantasy XIII
Command & Conquer 4

My thoughts exactly.

Mullahgrrl:

Doug:
How compelling... ;)

Are you compelled?

I'm compelled!

That comment is CINEMATIC. ***ERROR: ROJO ERROR 1216***

EDIT:

TheLegend84:

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
Bayonetta
Darksiders
Dark Void
MAG
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2
Lost Planet 2
Dante's Inferno

MARCH

God of War III
Final Fantasy XIII
Command & Conquer 4

Really? I'm afraid mine is currently abit shorter:

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
(don't know what Darksiders is)
(don't know what Dark Void is)
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2 (maybe)
Dante's Inferno (maybe)
Splinter Cell: Conviction (maybe)
Star Trek: Online (maybe - want to demo it first)

MARCH

Command & Conquer 4 (maybe - depends if EA just go for 'a large number of breasts is our ad campaign' policy or not).
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (probably).

So very true. Releasing everything in close proximity to Christmas holidays is not exactly a good tactic. Sure, things like Modern Warfare 2 get a tremendous sale boost, but what about the games that don't get bought as eagerly?

And FYI, if people actually bought a game with biggest number on the end, and if it actually had a number on the end, then A Crack In Time - an eighth istallment of R&C - would be ludicrously successful.

Just make January first the official release date for all games. That way we have the entire year to buy and play them, and Bioware has the entire year to release whatever patch makes their latest game work.

I agree 100%. I only buy one of these games at a time, so they're not really cashing in on the Christmas thing.

I'm sorry, but that strikes me as a janitor complaining that things get dirty.

Doug:

Mullahgrrl:

Doug:
How compelling... ;)

Are you compelled?

I'm compelled!

That comment is CINEMATIC. ***ERROR: ROJO ERROR 1216***

EDIT:

TheLegend84:

snip list

Really? I'm afraid mine is currently abit shorter:

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
(don't know what Darksiders is)
(don't know what Dark Void is)
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2 (maybe)
Dante's Inferno (maybe)
Splinter Cell: Conviction (maybe)
Star Trek: Online (maybe - want to demo it first)

MARCH

Command & Conquer 4 (maybe - depends if EA just go for 'a large number of breasts is our ad campaign' policy or not).
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (probably).

My list isn't actually that large. Those are just the games that are coming out in the first 3 months of next year.

As a game reviewer, I totally feel your pain, Travis!

In the summer, I was totally outta work, nothing to review other than buget bin trash, all I could do is lay on the beach all day sipping cocktails, you know how boring that was?! And now? I barely have time to do my regular job, thanks to all the releases, and I'm afraid I won't have time to spend the holidays with my awesome relatives, who arrive from everywhere and take over the house like the Soviet army. *sigh* I guess it will be a lonely Christmas, just me and all the video games I can play 24/7. Fuck you, publishers!

/sarcasm

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or