The Needles: The Easiest Buyer's Guide Ever

Pages PREV 1 2

sheic99:

Jiraiya72:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Fenixius:

My gods, the people. I was working yesterday, and someone insisted that despite my warnings, nah, Prey was gonna be -great- for their 10 year old.

You are not their parent. You don't know this particular 10 year old.

Did you seriously just say that? Wow..just wow..

I played Resident Evil 2 on the N64 when I was 9. Some kids mature faster than others.

Just because you played them at that age doesn't mean you should have. I'm not going to say it ruins all the kids that young, because people are different, but no 9 year old REGARDLESS should play this type of game whether they can handle it or not.

Jiraiya72:

sheic99:

Jiraiya72:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Fenixius:

My gods, the people. I was working yesterday, and someone insisted that despite my warnings, nah, Prey was gonna be -great- for their 10 year old.

I played Resident Evil 2 on the N64 when I was 9. Some kids mature faster than others.

Just because you played them at that age doesn't mean you should have. I'm not going to say it ruins all the kids that young, because people are different, but no 9 year old REGARDLESS should play this type of game whether they can handle it or not.

That makes no logical sense--why shouldn't a person who can 'handle' a game play it?

300lb. Samoan:
and the one-in-a-million chance that a stranger might be a charming pedophile, these are the things parents worry about?

The real problem is that the chance of someone the kids know and trust being a pedophile is much lower. "Stranger Danger" is one of the least likely chances of it happening.

Cheeze_Pavilion:

That makes no logical sense--why shouldn't a person who can 'handle' a game play it?

Because who are you going to ask then?
The child? He can handle anything!
The parents? Either anything or "nothing for my little poppet"

Just because you can handle something doesn't mean you need to. Or even want to.

Children less than school age could probably handle any 18 rating film because they simply cannot comprehend what's happening. However, once they gain the insight, they're gonna be fecked for the rest of their life. Why do you think so many young kids get Coulrophobia?

Because they know that smile is false but it

Seeing a frog wang doesn't scar kids. Seeing Mummy and Daddy fighting, Being forced to kiss Granny and being dragged to see the white-faced man will do a LOT worse. Especially if you've just been given the understanding of what's "really" happening.

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Jiraiya72:

sheic99:

Jiraiya72:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Fenixius:

Because they are NINE years old. In ye olden days when very young boys fought in wars, even if they got through it it does not mean they should have done it. Nine year olds are nine.

Jiraiya72:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Jiraiya72:

sheic99:

Jiraiya72:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Fenixius:

Because they are NINE years old. In ye olden days when very young boys fought in wars, even if they got through it it does not mean they should have done it. Nine year olds are nine.

Like I said: that makes no logical sense. How is them being nine relevant to the question of whether or not they should play the game if we've already established they can handle it? The only reason age is relevant is because age is a guide to maturity, and maturity is what determines if they can handle it or not.

Isn't it ironic that the very people who are against the videogame company, that being parents that buy kids games that could be considered the cause of mental issues, are also the ones that are causing the problem in the first place?

I've just proven why parenting should be licensed with more restrictions than infertility.

Nice article, but two thoughts,

1. All good and well but I hardly doubt that people who aren't familiar with videogames are going to be on this site.

2. You misused the word "hyperbole" NOW YOU GO DIE!

Jiraiya72:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Fenixius:

Ahah, because relativism is for hippies, losers and communists, right? WRONG.

I was being ironic.

~EDIT~

*Reads through posts*

Wow, I love the philosophical debate going on here.

I'm going for the relativist, non-censor side. "That is, le' th' friggin' kids do wha'ever they fuggin' want!"

HAha, the only games i ever get as a gift from anyone are little kids games that are atrocious. I have to buy all the games i want to play

In Britain most games are rated by the same people as films are, the BBFC. That means games like MW2, Gears Of War, L4D get proper 18 certificates identical to the ones on films and dvds. This means it's illegal to buy for, sell to, or supply anyone under that age.

I don't know how heavily it's been enforced since I haven't had to worry about age restrictions for a few years now, but it is technically the law and people can get in trouble for it.

Tonimata:
Isn't it ironic that the very people who are against the videogame company, that being parents that buy kids games that could be considered the cause of mental issues, are also the ones that are causing the problem in the first place?

I remember reading an article ages ago where all the major companies were basically saying "for the love of God, please start rating our games. Then we wont get the blame when someone buys "Murder Death Killinator: The Bloodsplattering" for their little Jimmy."

Lazy parenting is the source of a lot more problems than games will ever be.

No offense, but what's with this "article"?

1. This is a gaming website, so it's safe to assume we know about ratings.
2. As said in one of the first posts, if the parent doesn't care they won't look.
3. The company should also take responsibility, not just the parents.
4. Lose the attitude in it. People tend to take little notice if you're patronising them.

By all means, dispense advice on games, but this article was a waste of time. It's aimed at the reader (i.e. me, and everyone else), and is educating US on games - The reason we're here in the first place. No, I won't read the "damn ratings", why should I? I'm not buying for anyone but me. I'll read a rant happily, but this seemed to make the reader out to be the fault.

If you're going to write something like this, at least put it on a non-gaming website and lose the "attitude" you have going in it.

I agree with coldalarm. This article is a rant that is preaching to the choir. Parents who skip over the rating system are definitely not going to be interested in reading this article. I think the most productive use of this article would be if the users of this website forwarded the link to parents out there who need it. And hopefully they'll have the patience and understanding to read it.

well said sir well said!

Would be nice to bring some parental discretion and responsibility back into child rearing. It would almost seem like, from the media, parents don't exist anymore and that everyone is raise from TV and the Internet. The adult(s) living with the children is there merely to provide sustenance and NOTHING ELSE!

Zerbye:
I agree with coldalarm. This article is a rant that is preaching to the choir. Parents who skip over the rating system are definitely not going to be interested in reading this article. I think the most productive use of this article would be if the users of this website forwarded the link to parents out there who need it. And hopefully they'll have the patience and understanding to read it.

Or for the readers to spread the word through word of mouth! It would seem that we have been made missionaries to the cause! I will do my part! XD (sadly i only know well informed and sensible parents)

Nice artle. I pretty much agree with all this.

Game stores really should stick up some signs around this time of year...
'IT'S NOT THE GAME YOU SHOULD BE HATING - THINK IT THROUGH AND CHECK THE RATING.'

My parents are getting my 15 year old brother Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 for christmas, and though I told them about the rating, I also showed them the game content (except for AC2, as my brother borrowed it off a cousin and showed it to them). They watched them both through, and were alright with getting them for him, so at least they were being informed. I have no problem with that...

It's parents I see in shops this time of year being badgered into picking up 18-rated games, especially when they clearly have no clue about it all. Them I want to throttle...

Zerbye:
if the users of this website forwarded the link to parents out there who need it

My god! That's so crazy, it might just work!

Phyroxis:

Woodsey:
I find it hard to believe anyone who claims they don't know what the giant number on the front of the box means.

Letter.. But I hear you. I rage at all of the adult-parents I know about this. At least the ones I know will at least have been warned.

"Letter.." ?

squid5580:
Now that I broke the hypnotic spell of your avatar I can respond. That is the big problem right there. Why did they choose this whole new rating system? I don't mean the kids under X shouldn't be playing this. I mean why didn't they stick with what people have grown up with for years. Rated R. Put a big fucking R and underneath that put restricted with the panther. Or PG, 14a or G. People know these letters. They understand that they shouldn't be taking little Jimmy or Jane to an R rated movie. You don't seee very many theatres that feel the need to have a description of what R means do you? Yet you walk into any gamestore (or dept) and plastered all over the place is M= bad for little Jimmy. The problem is if you have to describe the rating it isn't very effective.

The MPAA owns the movie rating system. The video game companies do not want to use a system that a) they'd have to pay royalties on and b) have no control over. You might as well let the government censor games then. The ESRB was established specifically to avoid government interference (just list the MPAA ratings).

The MPAA ratings are also crap. I recommend the documentary This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated and this TVTropes article. Most of the time, an MPAA rating is as much about marketing as accuracy.

The ESRB ratings are just a guideline: it's still up to the parents to gauge their own children's maturity level. I watched R-rated Arnie and Stallone movies when I was 12 and the worst crime I've ever committed was exceeding the speed limit by 30 km/h. Also, what are you going to do when they visit their friend's house? It's a lot harder to police other parents' decisions.

Falseprophet:

squid5580:
Now that I broke the hypnotic spell of your avatar I can respond. That is the big problem right there. Why did they choose this whole new rating system? I don't mean the kids under X shouldn't be playing this. I mean why didn't they stick with what people have grown up with for years. Rated R. Put a big fucking R and underneath that put restricted with the panther. Or PG, 14a or G. People know these letters. They understand that they shouldn't be taking little Jimmy or Jane to an R rated movie. You don't seee very many theatres that feel the need to have a description of what R means do you? Yet you walk into any gamestore (or dept) and plastered all over the place is M= bad for little Jimmy. The problem is if you have to describe the rating it isn't very effective.

The MPAA owns the movie rating system. The video game companies do not want to use a system that a) they'd have to pay royalties on and b) have no control over. You might as well let the government censor games then. The ESRB was established specifically to avoid government interference (just list the MPAA ratings).

The MPAA ratings are also crap. I recommend the documentary This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated and this TVTropes article. Most of the time, an MPAA rating is as much about marketing as accuracy.

The ESRB ratings are just a guideline: it's still up to the parents to gauge their own children's maturity level. I watched R-rated Arnie and Stallone movies when I was 12 and the worst crime I've ever committed was exceeding the speed limit by 30 km/h. Also, what are you going to do when they visit their friend's house? It's a lot harder to police other parents' decisions.

Alot of that I have already responded to so I won't rehash it again. As for Jimmy going over to his friend's house there is nothing that Jimmy's parents can do. Be it an M rated game or an X rated movie. That is part of being a parent. You can't watch them every second. There is nothing stopping Jimmy from playing an M rated game on the playground at school on Jane's PSP or DS. Or looking through the Playboy he found at the local park. The only thing the parents can do is be ready to answer the questions that will proceed this.

Hehe, true words - read the labels if you're concerned.

My parents aren't gamers, but they still allowed me to buy any game I wanted. They had minor concerns that I might have nightmares because of playing a 18+-rated FPS-title when I was ~11-12 years old, but with that never happening and no effects on my behavior they let it slide. It is probably at that point they realized that gaming isn't as bad as they thought. I'm just glad that I have parents who trusted me when it came to games.

Woodsey:

Phyroxis:

Woodsey:
I find it hard to believe anyone who claims they don't know what the giant number on the front of the box means.

Letter.. But I hear you. I rage at all of the adult-parents I know about this. At least the ones I know will at least have been warned.

"Letter.." ?

Letter.

Phyroxis:

Woodsey:

Phyroxis:

"Letter.." ?

Letter.

Oh I see. Well, English. So number. :P

there is something rotten about ratings, they just sum up the facts of the game and completely ignore the purpose, GTAs always had blood, but such blood pool stretching symmetrically from one point or the famous outlines make it a symbol of it being a game and nobody would believe he is actually killing a person, and nobody ain't avoiding swear words in Real. the rating companies simply don't think before they stamp. i think there should be other criteria than age, because you can heve an above-average child or a totally demented 30YO.

Nice Hamlet reference

Deathlyphil:

Tonimata:

I remember reading an article ages ago where all the major companies were basically saying "for the love of God, please start rating our games. Then we wont get the blame when someone buys "Murder Death Killinator: The Bloodsplattering" for their little Jimmy."

Lazy parenting is the source of a lot more problems than games will ever be.

Yeah I remember reading an article of the sorts. Specially because that game would've been awesome. But it is worrying that irresponsible parenting is the cause of these and many other problems, such as those spawned by irresponsible consume and understanding of heavy metal lyrics or gun possession. It just leads to the creation of mentally depressed childs that think about nothing other than suicide. And they usually achieve it.

Andy Chalk:

Zerbye:
if the users of this website forwarded the link to parents out there who need it

My god! That's so crazy, it might just work!

But my inbox can't take that many forwards!

I read a lot of people saying they played violent games at young ages, and so did I.
But fact is, we need Fox News to shut up, and denying kids the M rated games is a step in the right direction for that.
Also, sure the kids can probably get away with playing the M rated games, and they might turn out fine. But the fact here is not about what the kids can handle, but it what the parents can handle.
It's the parents that create the sensationalist news, not the kinds, the kids are fine, but we the gamers have to suffer because other peoples parents are ignorant.

PS: Yeah I played violent games too, but my parents was at least looking at the labels when buying games for me and my younger brother.

I'm glad my parents didn't get me anything "Violent" until I was older than 11.

and "Violent" means Rise of Nations.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I want to give to people buying games for nieces and nephews is to ignore the familiar. Last year, I was fifteen, and I got Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (for the Wii) from my aunt. I have been playing video games since I can remember, and I'm not that impressed by Spiderman.

Rule #1 for non-gamers buying video games for gamers:
Licensed games suck.

The rating is important, yes, but this pisses me off far more. Quit buying games based on movies for $40. They aren't worth $4.

I actually lost my job at my local movie theater because I insulted a parent that was taking their young kid to see one of the Hostel movies. I had decided I had had enough of shitty parents doing the exact same thing and then getting myself yelled at by said parents for letting their children be exposed to such things. I hated that job.

The parents would read the ratings for a film (although by matrix post i doubt some parents have common sense) so why don't they do the same with games. Then when they give the game to their little darlings at christmas they get all shocked when they see blood. The article was also brilliantly funny

So true. So very true. I definitely enjoyed this article but unfortunately the people that it's directed towards probably won't get the message. Alas.

I tottally agree with this whole article.
Although i think that if parents are that worried they could always give the game a play themselves. GameStation (Uk game retailer) has a ten day guarantee so you can take games back within ten days even if you've opened and played them (great way to rent games for free) but then again im 16 and use parents credit card so i dont really have to worry :)

it really gets on your tits?
too much information, but very informative (for the report)

Dudeakoff:
But the thing is, you can't simply put the blame on individual parents when it's such a widespread problem. Now, I don't know myself what the problem is, but a few potshots of mine would be that gaming is still considered a kids thing, all the other parents buy the big new game, creating pressure on other parents to do the same because of the "all my friends have got it" excuse and/or it could simply be that not enough is being done to tell parents that they shouldn't buy 18 games for little Timmy for the same reasons why they won't let them watch American Psycho.

I agree that most so-called adults (ie. anyone over 30 since the average gamer is now aged 30) wouldn't have a clue about games, but does that excuse their ignorance? The same people who would buy a game like GTA4 or the un-edited Dark Sector for their kids wouldn't necessarily buy an R-rated movie like Fight Club or Kill Bill for them as well.

Could it be that we just need more public education on the topic?

I come from Australia, the hub of (inconsistent) game censorship worldwide, and it often seems to me that media furore is the key figure in getting a game banned. "Oh it's bad for the children." "But it clearly says that it's not meant for children on the cover!" "Oh I didn't realise that. They should advertise it more clearly!"

For god's sake, it's clear there on the cover (parents), stop contributing to the debate!
Be responsible parents and actually peruse the media your children have access to! And don't try and tell me that your kiddy is a good little boy, if you have the internet then he's probably seen porn that would make my elderly relatives have a goddamn heart-attack!

I guess my (overly long and vitriol-filled) point is that parents need to have some control over their children's media, at least when it's at home and they can control it because this is the point where they can either show approval or dis-approval!
Children take their cues on morality/ethics from their parents more than anyone else, so the home is the first bastion of right and wrong!

And I'm truly sorry Dudeakoff, because your post was intelligently written and I'm honestly not picking on you but a parent can and should be able to resist little Johnny's plea of "Everybody else has it!" with the age-old saying of "If everyone else walked off a cliff would you do it too?"

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here