Escape to the Movies: Ninja Assassin

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Lunar Shadow:
As for the multiple ninja thing: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu

Naruto would like to have a word with you.

[edit]

I should have read the whole page >_>

Liked the refference to the NES Ninja Giaden game.

Wikipedia ... my friend.

Although as accurate as the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy sometimes. Here's their view on ninjas:

A ninja or shinobi was a covert agent or mercenary of feudal Japan specializing in unorthodox arts of war. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, assassination, as well as open combat in certain situations.

So when I saw this poster for the first time, I wasn't too far off when I told a friend "Yeh, Cause ninja wasn't assassin enough yet"...

Guess I'll just go see that hopeless heap of teen movie trash called Transylmania. I'm pretty sure with enough beer I'll get a laugh out of that one.

I actually scoffed at the Avatar not because it wasn't out yet or anything like that, but I just am not interested in it. Not really Ninja Assassin either, as I knew from the get go that it was going to be an average Ninja movie set in a time in movie making post-matrix creating the need for all of a million bucks of special effects but with the same script from all others basically, but I want to see NA because I like Ninja movies, like Bob said, if you like ninja movies, you'll probably like this.

lol...at 4:00, he said "Cognitive Dississance"...pretty sure he meant dissonance, and I don't usually get picky, but that one made me laugh.

Other than that, I love this guy's reviews, and I enjoy that he can see a film for what it really is and not buy into the hype...and I do love martial arts movies, so I'll probably enjoy this one when I get to see it. :)

paralost:
yah i heard this movie has some decent action scenes but if you're looking for a plot it pretty much tells you to go fuck yourself. wait... should i have bleeped myself. seriously what is up with that?

but i suppose if you're looking for an intellectual and deep, masterful storytelling through a ninja movie you might be retarded...just saying

The actual Japanese ones like Basilisk is good.

I started a forum discussing the use of cgi blood versus traditional squibs here.

I welcome anyones opinion.

orangeapples:

Lunar Shadow:
As for the multiple ninja thing: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu

Naruto would like to have a word with you.

Whatever he has to say, I won't believe it.

Holy crap, a Richard Scarry reference? Where'd you pull that from?

Since I don't believe anyone linked it yet...

There's only one ninja left, that means I'm death incarnate.

its a great looking action flick, if you hate action or ninjas don't watch it.

Oh and all films have a plot its the story that tends to suck :P

Louzon:
lol...at 4:00, he said "Cognitive Dississance"...pretty sure he meant dissonance, and I don't usually get picky, but that one made me laugh.

Other than that, I love this guy's reviews, and I enjoy that he can see a film for what it really is and not buy into the hype...and I do love martial arts movies, so I'll probably enjoy this one when I get to see it. :)

Sounds right, I was wondering about that.

I'm glad I never read that book as a kid.

I'm surprised he didn't comment on the redundancy of the title "Ninja Assassin". That's like saying "Painter Artist", "Teacher Instructor", or "Chemist Scientist".

SonicKoala:

slopeslider:
Hey bob:
1.The plural form of Ninja is Ninja as well. Like the word Moose
2. That guy on 'The giving Tree's back cover IS scary.
3. What were you going to say about Loli Worm?

Actually, it can be both. The plural of Ninja being "Ninja" is a reflection of the japanese language's lack of grammatical number, but "Ninjas" is an acceptable form in English.

Thanks, Wikipedia!

I need to go edit wikipedia AGAIN? Crap. Afterwards I will eat some sushis and cook sashimis on my hibachis while watching a discovery show about mooses that are ninjas.
EDIT: -_- It appears that the nerds at oxford and such have decided that loanwords get an english plural regardless of their original form.

I guess it doesn't really matter bekause everyone here is probably pronouncing it 'nenjuhs' instead of 'knee-n-jah' anyway.

Funny how I never hear anyone say shushis.

I'm just here to voice my general dislike of people making very clearly scripted videos and behaving like it's somehow being done on the fly. My attitude is that if you've not got much to say about a film either move on or make a shorter review video. I mean it's not like you've over-charging anyone if you give them a half length review.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally in for random side-tracking and pointless non-sequitors but the ummming and aaaahing spoils the pace.

Oh God, the picture on the back cover...

*shivers*

slopeslider:

SonicKoala:

slopeslider:
Hey bob:

Actually, it can be both. The plural of Ninja being "Ninja" is a reflection of the japanese language's lack of grammatical number, but "Ninjas" is an acceptable form in English.

Thanks, Wikipedia!

I need to go edit wikipedia AGAIN? Crap. Afterwards I will eat some sushis and cook sashimis on my hibachis while watching a discovery show about mooses that are ninjas.
-_-

All those words you mentioned don't need an "s" - in fact, adding an "s" to the majority of those words is grammatically incorrect. However, "Ninjas" isn't incorrect. That's a terrible example, and really not all that clever. It wasn't only on wikipedia, you can check any dictionary and it will tell you the same thing.

SonicKoala:

slopeslider:

SonicKoala:

slopeslider:
Hey bob:

Thanks, Wikipedia!

-_-

All those words you mentioned don't need an "s" - in fact, adding an "s" to the majority of those words is grammatically incorrect. However, "Ninjas" isn't incorrect. That's a terrible example, and really not all that clever. It wasn't only on wikipedia, you can check any dictionary and it will tell you the same thing.

They were obviously on purpose. Why is ninja the only jap. word that gets an s but sushi, sashimi and hibachi dont? It's inconsistent.
I already edit'd my post. English language sucks anyway.

Alright, about Lowly Worm...

...If I WAS going to say something about him (as opposed to pretending like I was going to say something about him as part of a possibly-overlong joke,) I'd probably ask him if he's at all uncomfortable having to stand-erect all the time - something that must be difficult for a burrowing-invertebrate animal to do since he's basically got to be tensing all of his muscles all at once for days at a time... dude must be RIPPED!

For some reason, there was always something just short of menacing about Richard Scarry's illustrations to me as a kid... particularly the thousand-yard-stare on the cats.

As to ninjas... the best collection of "ninja scenes" I've ever come across was in a 1983 Chinese actioner called "Duel to The Death." You can see small portions of most of the more "WTF?" ninja-moments in the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB0wri54vq0&feature=related

Definately worth tracking down, but be wary that there's a (supposedly) nowhere near as good recent remake out there as well.

slopeslider:

SonicKoala:

slopeslider:

SonicKoala:

slopeslider:
Hey bob:

Thanks, Wikipedia!

-_-

They were obviously on purpose. Why is ninja the only jap. word that gets an s but sushi, sashimi and hibachi dont? It's inconsistent.
I already edit'd my post. English language sucks anyway.

Yeah, no argument there. English has awful rules and it's painfully inconsistent. But whatever, it's all I have, gotta stick with it....

Isn't 02:36 a samurai ?

...I think Stephanie Meyer took "The Giving Tree" to heart.
Think about it.

It explains everything.

I will never look at the Giving Tree the same way again.

What was that all about? Why even review a movie when you've got almost nothing to say about it?

Because the movie had almost nothing to say except 'ooh ninjas'. :)

My guess on the one vs many theory is that all ninjas have an aura like paladins, but a negative one of -1 to all stats. Alone they're still awesome, but in groups the compound aura penalty reduces them to mere shuriken fodder.

I'm guessing from the review and comments here, that if I go in expecting about an hour of stupid, dumbed down action movie idiocy, I'll love it anyway tho.

You just had to ruin it with a reference to Dollhouse, didn't you. Can't we just let that worthless creation die quietly?

That ninja vs army of ninja thing has been done at least twice before(i'll try find it again) other than that yeah not bad

Thank God there was no bleeping!
I'm hoping that's a result of all the complaining of how flow-breaking it is. No swearing is fine!

Loved the joke at the start, I can't wait to see your opinion on Cameron's smurf / ferngully crossover.

heh, about the giving Tree. Check out Jim C. Hines, Goblin Trilogy. The Giving tree makes a Cameo in the last book and... well lets just say that the tree takes some serious offense.

Seriously read it. Start with Goblin Quest, then Goblin Hero and finally Goblin War. Some of the best Farce-fiction ever written.

I wonder where he was going with the Lowly worm bit.

Nevermind he mentions it above.

Are you kidding. Even if you like ninjas it was soooo bad. It made absolutely no sense and the fight scenes were going for some rediculous cool thing, but ended up looking so cheesey.

I have to ask about "Avatar" (given it was mentioned in the intro ;)) I've heard alittle about this movie, and it looks good, but that is no real proof of quality; basically, does it look like it's shaping up well enough?

(and I would talk about the Ninja movie, but...meh)

I don't particularly like ninjas or even pirates for that matter. I think space marines (the ones who descended from The Emperor, thank you) and robots are way cooler anyway. also dwarves I think dwarves are pretty badass, even before i read lord of the rings i thought dwarves were cool. Little guys with axes who dig for treasure? Awesome. but i digress.

As i said i have no great love for ninjas, they're cool sure but i can think of cooler things. I will still go to see this movie because even if it isn't great for production values i want to see more stuff like it. in essence i will see this movie becasue i like what it represents. the idea of spagetti action movies. Spagetti action, like westerns, are set in presenmt day or something, not a whole lotta depth but some cool fight scenes and adding some badass points to an actor i may or may not already like. Like Shoot'em Up, ninja assassin is one of those movies where i can spend seven bucks at my local theatre, sit down get two hours of entertainment and walk out.

it doesn't require a big commitment, i don't have to worry if it's going to be sold out or not, it's not like some deep plotted movie where i have to think about the meaning (SCREW YOU MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS!), it's just mindless fun for a little while then i go back to the grind of real life. sure i'll forget about it five minutes later but sometimes all you want from a movie is a couple of hours of entertainment. and frankly if we can get some good action movies that are slightly original thats good too.

I mean think about this. Sure this is a bunch of ninja cliches all lined up, but it isn't a remake that has been done before, it isn't a sequel, it isn't a book adapted to movie it's just a film written to be a film that is in a sense original.

but yeah that 30 second reveiw at the beginning is pretty much all you need.

Koeryn:
Ooh! Ooh! I have an explanation for the many vs 1 Ninja issue.

Part 1: Ninjas are masters of fighting multiple opponents at once.
Part 2: Ninjas work alone, and as such do not fight well with other ninjas.
part 3: Ninjas aren't good at fighting one on one, due to all the awesome they have at fighting against groups.

Put these things together, and it makes sense. Those epic one-on-one battles? Not nearly as epic when you realise they're only appearing to be epic 'cause both parties suck. =p

Y'know what?
...That's pretty infallible logic.

Well done sir, you've just excused the writers for their shameful and lazy subscription to mookery.

Well I guess this means it's exactly what I thought it would be so I probably won't go out of my way to see it. I'd probably enjoy it and forget like the review said but... meh. I'd rather not bother going out in the first place.

And besides whenever I think of ninjas the first thing that comes to my mind is the "Ask a Ninja" Ninja. I've watch hours of that damn podcast. I find it hilarious.

I don't even understand the point to a review.

The movie is obviously a dumb ninja action movie. If you like that, you'll enjoy it. (I did.) If you don't, you won't.

Really, the review was good enough there, and should have reviewed some other movie instead.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here