Going Gold: The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Going Gold: The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Third party publishers' failures in the Wii market are indicative of a much larger problem.

Read Full Article

Oh the shame, rail shooters are my favorite kind of game. I also am very disapointed in 3rd party games that have come out recently

When the Wii first came out, I lined up to get one. I showed it to all of my friends and we all had a blast. I bought lots of great, memorable games too, like Excite Truck, Zelda: Twilight Princess, WarioWare, and Zack & Wiki.

But in three years of ownership, that's all I have to show for it. Only recently did a game come out that reignited my interest in the system, and it's yet another first-party offering. Where the hell were the third parties on this one?

I tried several third party offerings but they all disappointed. Most of them were cheap knockoffs of Wii Sports. Others, like Need for Speed, were poorly-imagined ports from other consoles, with a Wiimote strapped in place of a keyboard.

Did developers really think this shit would fly? The Wii was both a different interface and a different market segment; what made them think they could sell the same games they developed for other consoles? Mom and Dad aren't going to play a grindhouse-themed shooter and even your 8 year old nephew is going to get sick of playing the same Wiimote-waggling sports games eventually.

The third-party developers can disavow the platform and call it a failure, but hardware and first-party software sales don't lie. The Wii still sells and people are still buying games for it. It's a shame developers can't think hard enough to come up with something different to fill this entirely separate market segment. In the mean time, Nintendo is doing well.

I think Nintendo should change it's model. If the third-party developers aren't willing to step up to the plate, Nintendo should take charge and start a huge hiring spree. They are probably the only company who can afford it right now and a few thousand developers from other companies suddenly found themselves unemployed. Hire a bunch of developers and start pumping out more first-party IP. This could be a great time for Nintendo to capitalize on the failings of other developers.

The lack of third party support for the Wii is nothing short of stupefying, especially amidst complaints of the rising costs of games (and yet no thoughts toward the console that won't cost as much to get the most out of?). Then again, most third party games haven't really used the Wii controls well (play it like a regular game, only you wag it sometimes!), or gained any promotion, except for those ads saying the graphics(!) are supposedly better than average Wii games, as with the Conduit. Sega really is the only third-party publisher to get any sort of mileage out of the system, and even then it's mostly to spam a million Sonic games. "Silent Hill: Shattered Memories" looks promising, but it's almost upon release and the only advertising for it has been the occasional page in magazines and comic books, so I can't imagine that doing spectacularly, either.

I've been finding it troubling that I've spent more time with the PS3 than the Wii, and even then I feel limited by my choices unless I want to play generic, uninspired shooters that only have graphics and "cinematic action" to sell them ("Uncharted" or "Call of Duty Yadda Yadda" for instance...), so the problem with the lack of third party support for the Wii really does come down to a lack of imagination by many game developers (an ironic problem, as some of the most imaginative games of the last couple of years have been the latest incarnations of Nintendo properties).

Maybe developers should, instead of seeing the Wii as just a little cousin to shove off Wii Sports-knockoffs and poorly-done ports of their "Triple A" games onto casual audiences for a few extra dollars, maybe they should look at it as an idea factory, where they can be experimental with game design and control schemes. That way, they can solve the problem of not having to devote excess resources to trying to make the Wii compete with the PS3 and Xbox 360 in ways that it wasn't meant to (graphics[!]), and get something out of it that Nintendo was intending (innovation, new levels of immersion, etc.).

And yet no mention about the fact that Dead Space came out first on the 360/PS3 so anyone who wants the full story needs to be a multi console owner.

I really don't know. When I own a system, I look for a system that is going to give me about 10 games that I can play over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until the end of time. And that's what the wii has given me: super mario galaxy, wii sports, etc. I have never been one to buy like 80 games. The wii does not have 80 games I would want to buy.

But is that really so terrible?

zombie711:
Oh the shame, rail shooters are my favorite kind of game. I also am very disapointed in 3rd party games that have come out recently

I'm really sorry about this, but how the FUCK are rail shooters your favorite kind of game?

I mean, they can be good fun in some arcade every once in a while, but it's the same thing every damn time. Move five feet, shoot shit, move, shoot, move... well you get the point.

It is getting more and more painfull every year not seeing a good shooter on the wii or one which is so pathetically and half hazardly put together I wouldn't buy it anyway. When it came out, I looked at what they were doing and I decided yes, this is how I want to play all of my games from now on. I heard red steel was crap so left it, got metroid and loved every minute of it, even though it doesn't really feel like a metroid game and since then, not much. No more heroes was the only real blockbuster game since for the Wii and that is the most fun I have ever had in single player mode.

I'm not kidding and don't say it's cos you haven't tried gears of war 2 on the 360 or some other such nonsense, because I have and this just sold it so much more. I let myself go nuts in front of it. My family asked me if I was mad, but no, it was just the mental fun of the console game. I am still waiting for a decent shooter to come out, still waiting for another no more heroes. But as of yet, nothing has tickled my fancy. Nothing has stood out in how I want to play my games. And why not? No one has really defined how the console should work yet. And it's so frustrating. No one has defined this is how First person shooters should be, this is how you sell rpg games. They've all been, well, weak and pathetic attempts at games.

Old Trailmix:

zombie711:

I'm really sorry about this, but how the FUCK are rail shooters your favorite kind of game?

I mean, they can be good fun in some arcade every once in a while, but it's the same thing every damn time. Move five feet, shoot shit, move, shoot, move... well you get the point.

You could apply the same logic to any genre.

squid5580:
And yet no mention about the fact that Dead Space came out first on the 360/PS3 so anyone who wants the full story needs to be a multi console owner.

Yes and no. Extraction was a Prequel, so Wii-only gamers wouldn't be lost as far as the story is concerned, per se, but they won't get full enjoyment.

Makes sense, Th Escpist should send all atrticles like this directly to big game publishers, they pretty much are the voice of a huge section of the market, and they put in bold straight talk english THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO. and them not seeing things like this is like we are wasting our breathe.

SamElliot'sMustache:
I've been finding it troubling that I've spent more time with the PS3 than the Wii, and even then I feel limited by my choices unless I want to play generic, uninspired shooters that only have graphics and "cinematic action" to sell them ("Uncharted" or "Call of Duty Yadda Yadda" for instance...), so the problem with the lack of third party support for the Wii really does come down to a lack of imagination by many game developers (an ironic problem, as some of the most imaginative games of the last couple of years have been the latest incarnations of Nintendo properties).

Maybe developers should, instead of seeing the Wii as just a little cousin to shove off Wii Sports-knockoffs and poorly-done ports of their "Triple A" games onto casual audiences for a few extra dollars, maybe they should look at it as an idea factory, where they can be experimental with game design and control schemes. That way, they can solve the problem of not having to devote excess resources to trying to make the Wii compete with the PS3 and Xbox 360 in ways that it wasn't meant to (graphics[!]), and get something out of it that Nintendo was intending (innovation, new levels of immersion, etc.).

I also want to see more innovative games to come out of the little Nintendo box, but the reality of the situation is that today's video game market is locked in an atmosphere of safety. Most of the AAA titles (excluding Borderlands and Dragon Age) are sequels of already successful properties. Big-named developers are following these properties because they know they will sell big. They really don't see any need to be experimental and possibly lose millions of dollars producing a "quality" game for the Wii if their already turning profit on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

In the case of Epic Mickey, Disney is looking to reinvent Mickey's image. That, in itself, is a huge risk. However, it's a risk that Disney needs to take if they are going to continue improving their image, which makes it all the more fitting that it will become a Wii-Exclusive game. Although, looking at Disney's current actions, it seems that "taking risks" is a part of their status quo (i.e. Princess and the Frog).

All I'm saying is that the Wii is perfect for innovative games, but not many will answer the call.

orannis62:

squid5580:

Yes and no. Extraction was a Prequel, so Wii-only gamers wouldn't be lost as far as the story is concerned, per se, but they won't get full enjoyment.

And those of us who did enjoy DS would need to buy a Wii to enjoy it. You know the fanbase they have already built then turned around and flipped off.

whaleswiththumbs:
Makes sense, Th Escpist should send all atrticles like this directly to big game publishers, they pretty much are the voice of a huge section of the market, and they put in bold straight talk english THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO. and them not seeing things like this is like we are wasting our breathe.

I couldn't agree more with you. The Escapist's articles take so much into account.

As a long time Nintendo fanboy, I only recently got a 360, and mosly so I could develop indie games. But I keep coming back to the Wii, because the first party titles are so imaginative and still hardcore. Which makes me think: why doesn't Nintendo encourage indie games? I mean, they have a few WiiWare titles like World of Goo, but from what I've seen, it's REALLY hard for a small company to become a liscensed developer.

Spot on; although I think the article makes the situation look a little more bleak than it really is. As long as Nintendo is holding the door open for the rest of the developers, it can only be a matter of time before the Wii sees its first big third-party hit.

I don't much care for the Wii misself, but I can see its appeal and the potential it has to give gaming a modicum of respectability. Shamus Young wrote a very good article on the subject as well; now if we could only get someone important to listen...

A very good article. Despite the fact that I myself like to rip on the Wii, I think it's sad that Third party developers arn't giving it a chance. I've played Twilight Princess and I thought it was a very well made game, but then again it was a First Party title. Given the current economy, I can understand why game developers might be wary about producing a Wii game: It still is an untested medium and there is a small graphics limitation, but to me if one were to overcome these challenges, than a huge bounty could be awarded onto the developer that took that brave first step.

Thrid Party titles can make or brake a system. I remeber when the Xbox came out, it had a small backing, but eventually several good Third Party titles made it onto the system and cemented it's reputation as a good video game medium. While the Wii has had some good titles (Twilight Princess, No More Heroes and Metroid), it has not really had that industry backing that a system needs to survive.

I think we need to look all around and realize that there is a contribution of things that are bringing the Wii down somewhat. The Third Parties are somewhat unwilling to bring some market to the Wii and when they do they don't try to advertise as well as they could. Nintendo also has contributed somewhat to the Wii's failings, insted of creating several more AAA First Party titles, they were busy developing weird attachments for the Wiii that will serve little purpose in the end for the system apart from adding mores stuff you will need to do Wii exercise. We as the community also have to realize that we are having an effect on the lack of content the Wii is suffering from. For a lot of us who do not use the Wii as are primary system, it seems like little more than a goofy toy, a thing either parents buy their threee year olds or a system that moms like to play. Weather we realize it or not, our communities tongue lashing of the Wii is also a contributing factor to the lack of AAA third party titles. After all if you were a developer and the gaming community is bashing a system, would you want to take the risk of producing a mulimillion dollar project into a system that is the symbol of ridicule amoung gamers?

I definitely do not see Wii as the hardware that can break gaming into the mainstream. To me, Wii is not gaming. Wii is basically marketed as a family toy. PS3 and 360 are gaming machines.

The reason why gamers are not behind the whole Wii phenomenon by buying its games is because Wii games are not what gamers want to play. Wii games are toys that are meant to attract a casual audience. Wii was never meant to bring the mainstream into gaming, it was meant to bring Nintendo into the mainstream.

If anything, mainstream games need to be made for the PS3 and 360 in order to really capture the mainstream audience into gaming. For Ps3 and 360, if there are very compelling casual games, the casual audience might pick up those machines for those games, and then try more hardcore games and accept hardcore games as mainstream entertainment. Wii can never introduce games to the mainstream because Wii doesn't have any games to introduce to the mainstream, and it's not the publisher or the developers or Nintendo's fault, Wii simply didn't set that as its goal.

Instead of lightly pepper excellent hardcore games into a casual-filtered audience and let it set to die, publishers should introduce excellent casual games into a hardcore-filtered audience to attract some casual audience to spread them and convert them into hardcore gamers so that eventually hardcore and casual gamers are synonymous.

Seems like the age of Rail shooters have died.

I like DS:Extraction, it was a good game but I could see the flaws and why it might have gotten a bad press.

None the less, it seems like just another nail in the coffin for what may soon be the Wii...unfortunate as that is

Good article.

I think that no developer, not even Nintendo, has really unlocked the full potential of the Wii. Sure, it's easy to push the Wii to its technical limits, but no one has truly been able to consistently marry the Wiimote's abilities to good game designs. With the exception of Wii Sports and Wii Fit, I have yet to play a Wii game where I didn't think "If only this game was on the PS3 or X360, I'd have a lot more fun". As for Wii Fit and Wii Sports, those seem more like fancy tech demos than games to me. I think that it's kind of sad when the most fun I had with a motion control was playing Flower on the PS3. And that wasn't even true motion controls!

ThisNewGuy:
I definitely do not see Wii as the hardware that can break gaming into the mainstream. To me, Wii is not gaming. Wii is basically marketed as a family toy. PS3 and 360 are gaming machines.

The reason why gamers are not behind the whole Wii phenomenon by buying its games is because Wii games are not what gamers want to play. Wii games are toys that are meant to attract a casual audience. Wii was never meant to bring the mainstream into gaming, it was meant to bring Nintendo into the mainstream.

If anything, mainstream games need to be made for the PS3 and 360 in order to really capture the mainstream audience into gaming. For Ps3 and 360, if there are very compelling casual games, the casual audience might pick up those machines for those games, and then try more hardcore games and accept hardcore games as mainstream entertainment. Wii can never introduce games to the mainstream because Wii doesn't have any games to introduce to the mainstream, and it's not the publisher or the developers or Nintendo's fault, Wii simply didn't set that as its goal.

Instead of lightly pepper excellent hardcore games into a casual-filtered audience and let it set to die, publishers should introduce excellent casual games into a hardcore-filtered audience to attract some casual audience to spread them and convert them into hardcore gamers so that eventually hardcore and casual gamers are synonymous.

you don't consider games to be toys?

ThisNewGuy:

Interesting philosophy. However, and as the article points out, most hardcore gamers are not looking to recruit new gamers. There's nothing really stopping 360 and PS3 owners from grabbing a casual friendly game right now and "converting" people, but it's not happening at any significant rate.

There's a Wii in practically every household, it's the third-party developers' turn now. (Arguably, each 360 owner bought the console twice so there's probably even less 360 owners than the sales would imply.) If they can't figure out how to make good hardcore titles on a casual console, how are they going to solve making casual games on a hardcore console?

I think that the major publishers only know how to market impressive technical and graphical specs and the Wii didn't allow any of that unimaginative nonsense to happen. Doing more with less is not a philosophy that any major publisher or developer understands or even acknowledges these days, but it is crucial to Wii game development. Solid art direction trumps how many polygons a game pushes, proven analog stick and button controls trump tacked on waggle motions... but try explaining that to a major publisher.

Monster Hunter Tri is coming to North America soon. I think that's going to be my litmus test for the potential of hardcore games on the Wii... if it's given some reasonable marketing money, that is.

"New Super Mario bros. Wii" really defines Nintendo's situation- being a game that's short, easy and uncreative. The imagination that emanates from games like "World of Goo" is what needs to be harnessed. Look at all the games in Nintendo's agenda: "Spirit Tracks" "Other M" "Pickmin 3" "Galaxy 2." This is Nintendo playing it safe and cheep. You can't fail if you downsize, but yet I would never sacrifice creativity. The big budgeted games like "Assassins Creed 2" sell well, but generally cost the company too much blood. An iPhone game risks less. Nintendo's greatest games have always been their own except for the innovations from Capcom and Rare, but if Nintendo gets abandoned- who knows. I wasn't surprised that "Extraction" flopped.

Wii lost interest. With purely targeting kids it was not much fun. Especially when I bought a tennis game only to find out it was worse than the wii sports version. IT DID NOT EVEN RECOGNIZE BACKHANDS!!!!!!

SomeUnregPunk:

ThisNewGuy:

you don't consider games to be toys?

What's above and also, don't you think it's a bit narrow minded to only allow "hardcore" games to be "games" It's not as if every book has to be war and peace or every movie has to be Casa Blanca, there is a whole spectrum that ranges from flash and popcap games to MW2 here. Not everyone needs to be the same, there can be a range of gamers. I think expanding the market with any type of gamers helps at the moment if for no other reason then at least gaming will lose an overall negative stereotyping.

Damn you Christian Ward. Damn your frustratingly good article. Things are really bleak for a lot of reasons right now and the Wii is a very strong indicating factor of that.

squid5580:

Yeah, it's really baffling whenever developers make a tie-in game that's exclusive to the dead opposite console. See Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. :\

I still firmly believe that when the Wii hit the market, the developers all made a scooby doo sound. No one risked on the development of titles. Flash games were instead created and made to run on disks. Those flopped.

Nintendo, on the other hand, knew what the console was, and knew what it was meant to do, used adequate development time. So the first party titles tend to be of high quality and are a lot of fun.

In any case, even if no one buys another wii or buys another wii game, they made bank on each and every console and title that thing sold. Microsoft and sony take a hefty loss with every console, in the hopes that software catches them up and they can steal enough market share from eachother.

Nintendo probably smells the winds of change and will do three things:

-A more competitive next-gen console; one that will be readily upgradable.
-A choice of standard and wiimote controllers
-tell the developers their plans in advance

Finally, unlike Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo has the RIGHT idea when it comes to backwards compatibility. All my gamecube games run. You can buy UNCHARTED WATERS: NEW HORIZONS for christs sake. I think i will go play that now. Hell, I can plug my original tetris cartridge into the DS and it fucking plays. I think this DSilite or whatever is the first handheld that can't run the original tetris cartridge? Thats amazing.

Also, Nintendo Phone. I'm shocked they haven't done it. Apple could steal the title of handheld king right out from under their japanoses.

The problem is that the Wii sucks as a piece of hardware, and the controller is a piece of shit. Which I suppose is a bit like the argument against making FPS on any console, but then, why bother pouring money into what is definitely an uncertain market dominated by people playing with their 'balance board' and stupid keep fit 'games' when you can make an excellent return just by releasing an excellent game on PS3, 360, and PC? Cross platform is harder too because the Wii can't even begin to keep up with the others...

As for giving a rat's arse about who runs iphone gaming, surely you have to be kidding me. iPhone (a bit like the Wii before it) is a fashion statement. It has little to no ability to run good games, and including it here makes you seem a lot more interested in how developers can make more money out of suckers than in how they can produce good games.

This article made me feel ridiculously guilty because I am truly part of the problem, not the solution. Even though both my family and my flatmates own a Wii, neither I nor anyone else I know have ever supported third-party games because we just assumed that they would all be shit and sure enough that statement is fast becoming true because of people like us.

Oh well, I realized that I'm not really part of the "revolution" over 3 years ago and I doubt I am going to get swept up in it now so I don't really care about the problems Nintendo is facing. The only three games I've enjoyed thus far on the Wii are No More Heroes, Mario Party 8, and Wii Sports. I didn't even like Brawl or Mario Kart Wii despite the fact that I LOVED the previous titles in those franchises. I'm hoping that the Wii will recover from all this but I'll be damned if I help it do so. I guess that makes me a hypocrite, eh? Like I said, I'm part of the problem.

AvsJoe:
This article made me feel ridiculously guilty because I am truly part of the problem, not the solution. Even though both my family and my flatmates own a Wii, neither I nor anyone else I know have ever supported third-party games because we just assumed that they would all be shit and sure enough that statement is fast becoming true because of people like us.

Does this mean I'm an even worse person because I don't even own a Wii? I mean, I didn't get a Wii because I just assumed we would get the same bunch of Nintento games in a new shell, and I'm tired to death of those. I've never even thought about the possibility that Third Party Developers might offer something worthy of my time! I am truly ashamed (I do however also not own a PS3 or 360, I'm purely PC gamer^^)

Echolocating:

Interesting philosophy. However, and as the article points out, most hardcore gamers are not looking to recruit new gamers. There's nothing really stopping 360 and PS3 owners from grabbing a casual friendly game right now and "converting" people, but it's not happening at any significant rate.

There's a Wii in practically every household, it's the third-party developers' turn now. (Arguably, each 360 owner bought the console twice so there's probably even less 360 owners than the sales would imply.) If they can't figure out how to make good hardcore titles on a casual console, how are they going to solve making casual games on a hardcore console?

I think that the major publishers only know how to market impressive technical and graphical specs and the Wii didn't allow any of that unimaginative nonsense to happen. Doing more with less is not a philosophy that any major publisher or developer understands or even acknowledges these days, but it is crucial to Wii game development. Solid art direction trumps how many polygons a game pushes, proven analog stick and button controls trump tacked on waggle motions... but try explaining that to a major publisher.

Monster Hunter Tri is coming to North America soon. I think that's going to be my litmus test for the potential of hardcore games on the Wii... if it's given some reasonable marketing money, that is.

If we do consider the Wii as a gaming machine that has captured the casual audience and the mainstream but failed to convert these mainstream audience with solid hardcore games, I still don't think Wii is the right platform for this task. I don't think hardcore games are proven to work with the Wii waggle controls, which is why I think that PS3 and 360 would be more suited for hardcore games. Personally, I don't want to play hardcore games with a waggle and a balance board. I prefer sitting on a couch, and pushing buttons.

And I think you're right. It's much harder to market a weaker technical game in comparison to high polygon HD graphics. It's not just harder for publishers to market that, it's also harder for gamers and mainstream audience to appreciate that. So casual audience are not looking for a hardcore game on a less steller looking technical console, and neither are hardcore gamers. That means that hardcore games that are not artistic driven will have a hard time convincing people when its counterparts on the PS3 and 360 look so much superior. That means that any hardcore game that is not exclusive to the Wii (and in this era, exclusive games from 3rd party are hard to come by) will be better marketed for the PS3 and the 360. That means that the Wii can never "convert" mainstream audience into the hardcore community because there IS NO hardcore community on the Wii. Obviously, when I say that there is no community, I meant it as a comparison to the PS3 and the 360. Given a choice, I'd much rather play Call of Duty on my PS3 than on the Wii.

Yep, that's disruption, the large, inflexible giants of the game industry are incapable of seizing opportunities like browser games because they don't follow the traditional (core market) values at all and the company is designed entirely around those core values. Can't beat PopCap with epic stories or cinematic scenes, can't beat facebook with bloodier kill moves than ever before, can't win on the Wii with online-only multiplayer aimed at social rejects (if you're going to point at Monster Hunter 3 keep in mind that the PSP versions sold more than that because they are social games, you physically meet the players you play with and can smack them if they do something stupid or cheer together if you win, etc). They think all these new avenues are inferior because they are lacking in the traditional values (e.g. HD) and by the time those small new trends have grown into full-sized giants it's too late. The worst possible move is retreating, i.e. "focusing on our core values", crawling even deeper into your old market as it turns more and more into a niche and your grave.

Talking about converting Wii gamers to hardcore gamers is missing the point, the current hardcore is going to become obsolete and marginalized while the new audiences form their own "hardcore" branches as has happened many times before (nowadays you count as hardcore when you play Halo, in my day accepting an analog stick as a substitute for a mouse made you a casual gamer who doesn't give a shit about how inferior his games are to ours). Remember, Super Mario Bros came after Ultima, Halo after Deus Ex and of course Wii Sports after Madden.

Completely agree with the article. I've not really played a Wii, but the only games I played were Guitar Hero 3, Wario Ware and Mario Kart. And to be honest? I got a good laugh out of Wario Ware, but I wasn't impressed. Mario Kart was exactly the same as the previous ones, just controlled differently. And Guitar Hero was a bit infuriating, but then again, I have the hand-eye co-ordination of a drunk duck when it's an unfamiliar controller.

But I've looked at the games (I was interested at getting one myself, back when they first came out) and I'm so glad I didn't. Even Nintendo are running out of ideas, as proven above. I mean, come on, Metroid Trilogy? *New* Super Mario Bros? Mario Kart Wii?

Yeah, Wii Fit, Wii Play and Wii Sports are acclaimed, and that's good. But look at what they're aimed at! Wii Fit seems to be aimed more at the female user base, and if you think about it, a lot of the mums with access to a Wii have kids, so they can use Wii Fit when the kids aren't in or whatever. Wii Play sold more than it should have done simply because it was a game and a controller for little more than the game or controller would be. And Wii Sports was free, so no one cares :P

The Wii suffers from tunnel vision, IMHO. It's aimed squarely at parties and "social gamers", and that's a BAD direction to go. As it's been pointed out many times above, there is nothing that appeals to the rest of the gaming community, which is silly as we are probably the majority base. I'm a huge RPG player, and the Wii has nothing really that appeals to me (OK, Animal Crossing does) and as such that's money 3rd Parties aren't getting. FPS players get a rough deal as we've had at least a decade of game pads, maybe two. Motion control isn't that suited for games like Call of Duty - At least not online.

If the Motion Controller was "optional" then I think it'd do better. Due to the nature of the system, it's got itself into a niche it can't get out of, and that's why 3rd parties won't support it.

My biggest beef with the Wii is the same beef I have with the hand helds:
The graphics sucks. And the Wii looks horrible on an HD TV.

Apparently I am not the demographic for the Wii, or so people say. All in all the Wii is all about the hand waving, even in games that shouldn't need it (I am looking at you Zelda).

I think the Natal and the PS3 equivalent might be the best shot at the "revolution". Point is, to hit the on gamer market you have to go through the hardcores. And to sell to the hardcores you need a console that contain both the games we want to play, but also cheap games to play with your girlfriends mother.

Proof of what I am saying is when I brought home a DDR dance mat, got my parents hooked for some time :P The Guitar Hero games did somewhat the same.
In the end it will be the hardcore players that start of the revolution, and we need to be ale to enjoy high quality games next to the hand wailing crap.

My simple brain came up with a simple for what is happening to the Wii :

Nintendo made the Wii especially for the casual gamers. Large 3d party game developers make games for the "hardcore" demographic thus asking them to make games for the Wii was like asking the milkman to design a rocket.

I blame Nintendo for the fail of the Wii, proper steps could have been taken by Nintendo to correct the trend of titles released on Pii but unfortunately no measures were taken.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here