The Writers of BioWare

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

(epic thread necro, sorry)

For ME2, we have Thane as the remorseless killer. As for Garrus being emo, didn't come across that way in the first, but definitely in the second, with him being betrayed and wanting to calibrate it away. He has a knack for being in the middle of moral quandaries. I suppose that anyone from the first could have been emo, given Shepard's death.

Is there a Bioware analog for the shadowy, secretive, untrustable leader? I haven't played too many Bioware games.

Even though Bioware has developed their own cliche character types, they are far better than the standard flat, shallow, one dimensional characters you get elsewhere.

Effing Carth. I got him out of the party as soon as possible. Team Jedi has no need of the emo guy with the blaster specialization!

praetor_alpha:
Is there a Bioware analog for the shadowy, secretive, untrustable leader? I haven't played too many Bioware games.

Do you mean of the world or of the party? If you mean of the world...in Oblivion the leader dies almost immediately, Morrowind doesn't really have a visible central government, Dragon Age it's the obvious one who is still kind of sort of a spoiler so I won't say, in KOTOR I&II the government is Jedi, so they aren't allowed to be untrustworthy, and Neverwinter Nights has this awesome bearded guy who is all fatherly, so no.

I'm gonna say that's not a trope they use in most of their games. Who were you thinking of, and in which game?

beefpelican:

praetor_alpha:

Do you mean of the world or of the party? If you mean of the world...in Oblivion the leader dies almost immediately, Morrowind doesn't really have a visible central government, Dragon Age it's the obvious one who is still kind of sort of a spoiler so I won't say, in KOTOR I&II the government is Jedi, so they aren't allowed to be untrustworthy, and Neverwinter Nights has this awesome bearded guy who is all fatherly, so no.

I'm gonna say that's not a trope they use in most of their games. Who were you thinking of, and in which game?

The Illusive Man (Tim), Mass Effect 2.

ehh, took me a long random time to find this thread, and i see where you make these connections, i myself have before, but the characters are different enough/different universes to the point where i dont think they are quite that comparable as your making them out to be, and if you want it that way, then okay, tell me one game company with stories/continuations that dont do that? there is ridiculous amounts of rehash/repetitive material with all game companies.

at the end of the day, i seem to enjoy their games more than anyone elses, and they keep me coming back for seconds (and 42nd's..and43rd's...) so im not gonna complain about the formula too much. the characters are likable for the most part in what part they play.

I feel this article was far more forced than the archetypes. Alistar as the "emo" character? Alistar is always fun and full of wit. The writing makes you feel as though he's deliberately upbeat and cheerful and occasionally lets himself slip. Also Zaalbar as the pet? Saying he can't talk is entirely false.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here