Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead 2 & New Super Mario Bros Wii

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 17 NEXT

2 games at once, I haven't seen that since xbla (which sounds like someone taking a massive spit) arcade double feature. It was a nice change, perhaps Yahtzee can do more of these so that he doesn't end up having to do a lot of Christmas releases in 2010.

funguy2121:
Instead of toads the playable characters should have been Gutterpunk and the Retardinator, so they both could be thrown off a cliff.

:)

I am devious.

A second attack.

"Devious" isn't what I could call you.

I. Agree.

most excellent ZP rant! and yay for $5 mic! XD

Neither. Browser would run away too quickly from the Tank, probably via some flying contraption.

Gutterpunk:

funguy2121:
Instead of toads the playable characters should have been Gutterpunk and the Retardinator, so they both could be thrown off a cliff.

:)

I am devious.

A second attack.

"Devious" isn't what I could call you.

"Attack?" That wasn't an attack, Mr. Sensitive. I had to deal with the indignation of 2 people on extreme sides of an argument at once. Surely you can forgive me! I was under a lot of pressure! I had you telling me that mediocrity was wonderful and that Nintendo's claim that they couldn't render a skirt in 3D was a perfectly reasonable response for 2 Toads, and Retardinator's selective memory was telling me that Nintendo was the only company that ever repeated itself.

But worry not, my head has not exploded. Oh and that wasn't a threat, either, it was a promise. If I ever do play New SMB with you, I WILL throw your ass off a cliff.

One of the best of the series.

Campbells soup.
This was a pretty good review-It sums up what is wrong with Nintendo.However,I think that the quality of critisizm fell due to the multi game thing.
Perhaps they are gaining plenty of monies in order to make a console which is actually good from a gamers perspective next generation.But seeing as they are a business and this makes them MOAR!(Requires evidence) money then there is little chance of that.

Whatever,my opinion sucks.

I want this cross over to happen, imagine playing as Mario, Luigi, and what ever 2 assorted Mario universe characters you prefer as you run screaming through Mushroom kingdom filled with toad zombies, Yoshi smokers, Boo Boomers, & Hunter Goombas. Bowser could be a tank.

Something about Mario and Luigi with guns is oddly appealing...

AD3N:
good point, where the hell is hl2:episode 3!

I know! I feel stupid because I think valve's bait and switch as totally worked on me. I completely forgot about HL2:3!

Gutterpunk:

funguy2121:

Dear God, are you trolling me? Am I being punked? Surely you get this. Where's Ashton? Where is he?

In october 1988, Nintendo of America released a video game entitled Super Mario Brothers 2. The original sequel to Super Mario Brothers had been deemed too difficult for North American audiences, so a very different game, Doki Doki Panic! was transformed via character-swapping. The playable characters in the platformer were Mario, Luigi, Toad AND PRINCESS FRIKKIN TOADSTOOL, LATER RENAMED PRINCESS PEACH.

Are we clear now? Ha ha, Ashton, ya got me. How's Demi doing? Ok, I gotta go swallow a gun now.

Yes, and in Super Mario 2, the plot wasn't to save peach.

Also, as it has been pointed out, Miyamoto didn't want Peach as a playable character.

Changing the 4th character to Peach would require a plot overhaul (animations and al.)

So I ask again, which character should they have used? I am not attacking you, I am asking you which one would've fit the best in your opinion.

Well, if you don't mind someone else stepping in,why not Toad (the original red/white mushroom hat one) and Toadette? They'd fit with the "save Peach" plot and be more recognizable.

HALLELUJAH.

After seeing the review last week, I was afraid that Yahtzee was beginning to run out of interest in this, so he was going to do them all in a very bored, half-assed fashion. Thank God it was a one-time thing.

His points continue to be valid, and his speech is as rushed and energetic as ever.

Gutterpunk:

Sonicron:
As unfocussed as his rants often turn out to become as of late, I have to agree with his opinion on the Mario game. "This shit will not fly!" is about as perfect as it gets regarding a summary of a game from a company that's deleted the words 'innovation' and 'creativity' from its vocabulary.

If you want a different game than Mario, well then... play a different game than Mario.

Oh, you see, I have nothing against Mario. In fact, in think I lost count on how many hours I've spent on Galaxy, because it's just that good.
I do have something against Nintendo though when they take the whole concept of innovation (in regard to gameplay, anyway) and flush it down the crapper. Yes, I liked Mario Bros 3, but that's just the thing: If I want to play that game, I'll play that game. And if I decide to shell out good money for a new Mario game, I want a new Mario game, not an old one with new graphics.

cordeos:

good to know that 5=20, each section of a map is not a map. 20 weapons, a few new enemies and some minor AI and graphics improvements and one new game mode. I dont see how this justifies a $50 game.

This logic would apply to any sequel. Modern Warfare 2 is just new guns in a new location, same old killing. AC2 has a few new upgrades and a new protagonist, big whoop. God of War 2 goes through the same weapon upgrades and story. The thing is, all those sequels were great games (well, MW2 was alright) that improved on already good games. That is exactly what L4D2 does. I had my reservations about it too, until I got my hands on it. I realized why the boycott died after those guys got flown out; the demo does not do it any favors.

Better than before. Good that you didn't do only Left 4 Dead 2 or Super Mario Brothers wii in your review, because that'd be boring, cocidering that they don't differ enough from their prequels to make a good review.

tank would pwn bowser !

Bowser would totally win against a tank for l4d2.

I loved Yoshi's Island. That game brings back fond memories.

It's obvious. Tank will win, due to his amazingly cheap tossing punch, so Bowser will fall off the bridge.

CG55:
I do agree that New Super Mario Bros. Wii having two players play as toads is very stupid. Ya couldn't have picked anything at least a little more interesting, Nintendo?

I figured Waluigi and Wario, really. Made more sense in my head.

Either way, after playing L4D2, then watching this video, I have to say, this review wasn't very much. He didn't really say anything regarding the game. He didn't mention the long list of things to be hated in L4D.

Similarly with Mario, it sounds more like he just didn't much feel up to playing the game, and instead just wrote a review based on pre-established points.

Yahtzee, do you see anything good comming for the Wii? I find myself scorning my purchase of the console and wish something would make it worth buying. Metroid Other M looks promising but I don't think anything is making this console viable.

Radu889:
It's obvious. Tank will win, due to his amazingly cheap tossing punch, so Bowser will fall off the bridge.

I think Bowser would win, since killing a tank is just lighting him on fire and running behind a rock.

Am I the only one who thought that during the 2nd half of the review he sounded really really pissed off?

another brilliant review. I think he should now double team Halo 3 ODST and Killzone 2 together becuz that would be very lolz with brutes going after space marines. Oh wait.

I don't care one jot if HL2 part three (millwall nil) has to be put on the backburner in order for L4D2 (Millwall one) to be released. My point is, it should not matter in a review of L4D2 weather or not that is the case. That is just nid picking, non? (Yes I am a fanboy, I admit it)

Taneer:

Radu889:

I think Bowser would win, since killing a tank is just lighting him on fire and running behind a rock.

And waiting 40 seconds for him to die and he becomes faster if lit, making the punch much harder to avoid.

So, Yahtzee, are you planning upon doing a review of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories once you get your hands on it? It's really worth looking at, in my opinion.

Can't get the video to load. I've tried from two different computers with different internet so that's not the problem. I'll have to keep trying.

EDIT: Thanks to the curse of awesome magicness the video loaded frst time after posting this!

Radu889:

Taneer:

Radu889:

And waiting 40 seconds for him to die and he becomes faster if lit, making the punch much harder to avoid.

Meh, I never found the Tank that tough at all. I would rather fight a tank than a horde of zombies or a Witch.

new on the forums, but have been watching ZP since the beginning and had to ask:

what's up with the over abundance of scatological references in this one?

This was a pretty good one.

The 30 ot 6 reference cracked me up. I'm glad he actually showed a legitimate image of it too.

Wow no stupid "first" posts! Yahtzee must have finely killed them!

A/W:

Mario games... why are they still around? again Yahtzee said that Mario would be moving in to the cardboard box that Sonic lives in. And why has that not happened? Or maybe it has because games that are made over and over with "new" parts added in. Is the same game right? yes its fun but who cares at new price what makes me want to go out and pay $50-$60 for a game. While I know games at one point were $30 to #50. (God I am dating my self) I would buy if it was $20. As a side note L4D2, I belave it is best to play at LAN Gaming centers. I do not want to pay what ever it is for new price is. I will as well side with Yahtzee, Valve WTF no Half-Life 2 Ep. 3?

This is one of Yahtzee's better reviews in the past few months. I'm glad to see someone else point out that Nintendo is just ripping off past ideas. Yes it's nostalgic, as a single player experience it might even be fun, but is it good? Fuck no.

Once again, Yahtzee has bestowed some poignant wisdom regarding the worst gaming company in recent history. Never in my life have I heard of a more absolutely retarded concept than 'New Super Mario Bros DS on the Wii', because that's all it is really; repackage a previously released title (which has been released prior New Super Mario Bros Wii about a billion times) and sell it again. How the hell could anybody have bought this? If Darwin's theory of evolution could be applied to Video Games then Nintendo should technically not exist. They become more powerful the more repetitive and unoriginal they are. I heartily look forward to 'New New Super Mario Bros DS' and 'New New Super Mario Bros DS on the Wii'.

Oh, and L4D2 does fall into this hole as well, but I'm willing to forgive Valve because they've actually released something original in the past decade.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here