Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead 2 & New Super Mario Bros Wii

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

you should use not 'top tip', but PROTIP. big mistake. :)

Fantastic episode, one of the best he has done in a while! Disagree what he said about L4D2 but hey!
Actually enjoyed the whole reviewing 2 games idea and especially liked the animation at the end. Oh, and a Tank. Obviously.

Wow, two games in one review. That's nice.

I feel like Yahtzee was way too harsh on New Super Mario Bros. Wii, especially considering that there hasn't BEEN any, or rather many side-scrolling platformers these days, and the fact that he said it shouldn't exist makes me feel very angry and upset.

Yeah, he's got a point about not making progress, but then again, when most of the games these days are just 3D platformers, maybe the best way to make progress again is to go back to basics, you know?

"This shit won't fly" lol

I like the ending where mario and luigi are killed by the infected minions.

Theory: Nintendo is spiting Yahtzee by overtly making the same mistakes over and over again.
Mario is dead in every shape and form; but if Nintendo made a third Golden Sun game I might actually buy a Nintendo console again. Or at least not end friendships when I find out a mate owns a Wii.

Also, did Yahtzee just get through a review of a Wii exclusive, without ripping on the Wii once?

Yes, thank you, L4D2 feels like and could be sold as an Expansion, finally someone to "notice", and a Valve fanboy no less xD

And did he just basically Review 2 MultiPlayer Games?... As in more than one?...

Why the hell are the top two posters suspended?

on topic: nice video as always, particularly enjoyed the predictable yet acutely deserved jab at the ridiculous video game laws in australia.

Motakikurushi:
Once again, Yahtzee has bestowed some poignant wisdom regarding the worst gaming company in recent history.

Yes yes they certainly are the worst gaming company in recent history. You are correct with that statement. They are definitely the worst gaming company in recent history.

And, I know this just makes me a Nintendo whore, apparently, but the game is actually very fun. I know that in this day and age making a game that is purely fun is an awful sin among the likes of rape and murder, but I enjoy playing it. I enjoy playing it with friends (not seriously, of course, that really does breed hate among even the closest group; playing it as PHUN PARTY GAME is a much more pleasant experience) and I enjoy playing solo.
It is true that, aside from the new suits, the game doesn't introduce any particularly new concepts. It is also true that, aside from the suits (and Yoshi, obviously), World didn't add too much to SMB3. Yet it is regarded as a classic nearly equal (sometimes, even better) to 3.
So why can't NSWMBWii (Christ, that name is stupid) also be regarded as such? Because it's a side-scroller, in 2009? The game is a phenomenal 2D platformer, easily tying with World for me, and I understand that games don't need to be 2D anymore, and Nintendo can make absolutely amazing 3D platformers, but goddammit, it has excellent, challenging, and creative level design.

So, now that that's done, this was quite a humorous review! I laughed quite a few times! image

The images in the credits were the best bit imo :P

Dexter111:
Yes, thank you, L4D2 feels like and could be sold as an Expansion, finally someone to "notice", and a Valve fanboy no less xD

Yahtzee certainly isn't the only one to say this. Many of gamers have said this, and they have all been equally wrong.

jdnoth:
Theory: Nintendo is spiting Yahtzee by overtly making the same mistakes over and over again.
Mario is dead in every shape and form; but if Nintendo made a third Golden Sun game I might actually buy a Nintendo console again. Or at least not end friendships when I find out a mate owns a Wii.

Also, did Yahtzee just get through a review of a Wii exclusive, without ripping on the Wii once?

They ARE making a new Golden Sun, for the DS. It will be supposedly released next year. And Mario isn't dead. Not even close, if you ask me. His popularity his high, and unlike Sonic, he doesn't just have nostalgia to back him up, he has awesome gameplay.

I pretty much 100% disagreed with everything he had to say (video game wise), but it was still a great episode, and just as hilarious as ever.

And on a tangentially related note, Team Fortress 2 (and all its many incredible updates) could literally keep me busy for years on end.

cball11:
Huh. You know, i don't usually like when he does two games in one review, but there was a surprising amount of useful information in this one. I'm actually interested in New Super Mario Bros. Wii now.

And I hate the Wii.

BUT, I didn't at all agree with the insinuation that L4D2 could have been just as easily released as an expansion. It's an excellent stand alone.

Yeah, if you can look past the little crike Yahtzee tosses it's way it really bounces them back. so agree'd

"A Bit bitter because he only has 2 friends"
One of th few times i have laughed loud and hard enough for it to hurt and to get people to watch me do it.

Shame the Australian Government screwed him over. The game is must more Satisfying with all the gore.

I fully agree with Yahtzee on this review. The new Mario is nothing more then recycling and old game and L4D2 is good but Valve should really get back to HL2, cause I'm starting to get really annoyed by the fact we still haven't got ANY information whatsoever about Episode 3.

I thought the credits were funny as hell

metalcore42:
bowser, based on the fact that he NEVER FUCKING DIES, ever and keeps coming back :/

Thats only because they LET him live

Bowser would probably win the fight as he can actually breath fire and if things get bad he has a bloody spike encrusted shell to protect him self from the monstrosity. if a zombie mutant fan of the hulk can be taken down by some nutter stereotypes with too much ammo and some of the worst suvival instict ever conceived then surely a firebreathing, twice as strong, serial kidnapping mastermind with apparenltly an inability to die can do a much better job. with any luck he'd be spit roasting the fool on a large pinewood pyre by lunch time so that those anti-survivalist remtards from the first game of Left4dead can have even a vague taste of victory.........even if is a barbacued undead rotting flesh flavoured one at that.

I thought the new mario was really good, yeah, it's not very original anymore but it's still fun. Although I thought left 4 dead 2 should've just been a DLC.

I'm actually surprised they don't make new Mario games including Yoshi.. I'm pretty sure most players enjoyed the dino. Since I have no wii I don't know what the new super mario or whatever looks like but if it is in any way close to the new super mario bros. for the DS it can't be good. Never liked a Mario game after super mario world...

Don't care about l4d2 at all.. so yea, and tanks crush turtles not matter how many spikes they have. It goes crkkrkrkkrrrrr

I'm facepalming so hard at this thread, with people lauding and defending what Nintendo does, and then agreeing that L4D2 was 'too soon.' Go back to your copypasta Mario and Zelda games, the rest of us have grown out of Nintendo's bullshit.

/me is ironically wearing a Nintendo Rehab tee.

shawnmcgee:

This logic would apply to any sequel. Modern Warfare 2 is just new guns in a new location, same old killing. AC2 has a few new upgrades and a new protagonist, big whoop. God of War 2 goes through the same weapon upgrades and story. The thing is, all those sequels were great games (well, MW2 was alright) that improved on already good games. That is exactly what L4D2 does. I had my reservations about it too, until I got my hands on it. I realized why the boycott died after those guys got flown out; the demo does not do it any favors.

except God of War II and AC2 both had very noticeable graphical upgrades and large scale game play changes. Modern Warfare 2 also has a ton of new multiplayer maps (more than 5) and a new campaign as well as the co-op mode.

Yahtzee sounded really annoyed in this review. However, I must agree with him about HL2 Episode 3. It`s been over a year since we have literally heard anything regarding it`s development and Valve remains entirely tight-lipped.

Blizzard often gets scolded for how scarce it`s information on StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 is, but even they are not this silent.

Hmmm... Bowser vs. Tank... Well, first Bowser would shoot a fireball at the Tank; igniting him. But then the Tank beats Bowser to a pulp. Bowser dies, but then the Tank meets a grim fate, and gets cooked alive from the fireball.

Left 4 Dead 2 DLC?
Apart from it being larger than the original game, the new mode, the now balanced VS mode (Thanks to the new boss infected) and double the weapons, it just feels like a more polished game.

Bogulmon:

cordeos:
can you play the sections independently of each other? do they use a lot of the same models and color pallet?
In Oblivion when i would go to another floor of a dungeon there was a loading screen, doesn't mean i was in a new dungeon, just a different part.

Exactly, you were in a different part, or should I say, a different map. A dungeon is a collection of smaller maps, you fool, just like a campaign.

yes, but i dont count each floor of a dungeon as its own dungeon, its a smaller part of the whole. Apperently L4D has a different definition of map from every other FPS game out there. In Unreal Tournament or MW2 a maps are totally independent of each other, you can play whichever you want in whatever order you want, but L4D2 has 5 "campaigns" that force you to play the sections in a specific order, you cant skip ahead, or just play your favorite section, therefor they are not independent maps.

lol at least I admit all the Zelda games are the same, but I love them anyway.

NSMBWii? That's some straight up bull, they didn't try at all, at least the new Zelda game has a train and ghost bj's lol

ForgottenPr0digy:
LOl at all the funny titles for L4D2(does sound like a license plate number on a car).

I found the L4D2 Springfield 30.06 funnier - i have a garand 30.06 at home :)

I feel sorry for Yahtzee and every other Australian that has to deal with the "edited" version of Left 4 Dead or any other game. That's government totalitarianism at it's worst. That game itself was alright, but I'm waiting for that price drop to $30 or less before picking it up myself as I agree in that it should be an expansion pack (thus the price of $30 more reasonable than $50) instead of a full blown game.

Several reviewers have said that NSMBW is the best 2D Mario game thus far. I guess that what you're saying is that SMW was better because it was at least inivative. NSMBW is like Uncharted, it's fun, but it adds nothing.

Bowser VS. Tank?

Bowser would win because he could set the Tank on fire and run away.

I like how Yahtzee never actually says something about whether either game is fun or not. All you hear is some whining about originality, or innovation (both from him and from this thread), and quite honestly I'm starting to grow tired of it. Innovation does not translate to good. Innovation is a way to find more good stuff. It's not a way to make good stuff better. NSMBW didn't have new gameplay? Who the f*** gives a shit? Doesn't it have new worlds? Yes? Doesn't it have new power-ups? Yes? Doesn't it have a whole new way of playing the goddamn game (i.e. the multiplayer)? Yes? Then what the f*** are people complaining about? That you run to the right while jumping/swimming/spinning to get past obstacles?

I know how Yahtzee feels about multiplayer, but he's honestly complaining about what he believes is a co-operative multiplayer but what is in fact just as much a competitive multiplayer. Don't feel like working together? Fine, play against each other. Screw each other over. That was the whole marketing point of NSMBW to begin with. Co-op or competitive. Single player or multiplayer. A single matter of just two people playing together (ah yes, it seems that you don't even have to be four to play this game, so if you feel that four are too many then that still isn't a problem).

All I hear about NSMBW here is how it's not original, but to me that says jack shit about how good the game actually is, which is oddly absent from the review itself as well. No-one has actually come up and said that the game sucks. That it's boring. That it's in any way less than a great game. I've only heard the opposite. Yahtzee says that "this shit won't fly". It's already flying. It's flying high, high, high. People have been wanting 2D Mario since Super Mario World, and that is the reason why it has triumphed this "gameplay innovation" Yahtzee is nagging about.

Innovation is not the be-all-end-all of gaming, and even then you can't say that NSMBW has been done all before, because that would be a flat out lie. Unlike Modern Warfare 2, NSMBW is an experience entirely different from NSMB, SMB 3, SMW or any previous 2D or 3D Mario game.

I'm just glad I watch Yahtzee because he's funny, and not because he's got gaming words of wisdom, because if it was the latter then I'd be gone already. Much of what he said in this review has already been said by countless forum dwellers before him (except for the whole "this shit won't fly" thing). All he did was sprinkle funny things over them, and that is afterall the main appeal with Yahtzee. He's funny. Even if you think he's spewing bullshit. And this review was pretty funny, if just messed up a little. He's done double-reviews (or even multi-reviews) before, but this is honestly the first time where he jumps back and forth between the games, and that makes it messy. Like trying to watch two TV shows at the same time by switching between channels.

Jennacide:
I'm facepalming so hard at this thread, with people lauding and defending what Nintendo does, and then agreeing that L4D2 was 'too soon.' Go back to your copypasta Mario and Zelda games, the rest of us have grown out of Nintendo's bullshit.

/me is ironically wearing a Nintendo Rehab tee.

What does Nintendo "do"? keep old franchises going (Mario, Zelda) while exploring new territory and trying to get more people to game (Wiisports, Wiifit, etc) and try catering to more than just a hardcore fanbase? So terrible! I see nothing wrong with what Nintendo is doing. Heck, atleast Nintendo does several genres as oppossed to Valve which basically does just one. I don't hate Valve, but I don't see them as any better than Nintendo. And I don't get all the Nintendo hate people have. Nothing wrong with some Nostalgic games.

And I felt L4D2 was released too soon because it A. made everyone who bought L4D1 feel like they paid for a beta. B. Killed the community for L4D1. Forcing everyone to either buy L4D2 or good luck finding people to play with.

I'm also loling hard at the people whining that Nintendo dares to use a successful franchise like Mario, and then asking when Valves gonna release HL2:EP 3.

I really don't even understand why the hardcore crowd who generally don't even own a Wii, cares what Nintendo does. Is it because Nintendos more successful than the companies releasing rehashes?

And yeah, if you wanna talk rehashes I'd like you to meet my friends Activision and EA.

i feel your pain yahtzee,having to play as the one with the vag in left2dead4

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or