Escape to the Movies: Bad Lieutenant

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Bad Lieutenant

This week MovieBob takes a looks at Nick Cage in "Bad Lieutenant."

Watch Video

I loved the original Bad Lieutenant so much.
It was so offensive, and Harvey Keitel was perfect, as always.

Wow...Just...I honestly didn't think anyone had the stones to go and make a movie like that. Slightly more impressive, though, is the fact that Bob managed to do an honest-to-God review of it.

Furburt:
I loved the original Bad Lieutenant so much.
It was so offensive, and Harvey Keitel was perfect, as always.

I was surprised when bob termed it "over-rated", which would classify every other review of it as sufficiently puffed up. Haven't seen either one yet, debating whether to go get the Harvey Keitel flick from video spectrum today or wait to see the Nicholas Cage flick when I get back in Columbus. If I'm lucky, I can go see it as Studio 35 where I can enjoy it in a dilapidated single-screen theater while eating a greasy pizza and swigging beer. Yea, that just sounds perfect. Might just want to get stoned first as well, or maybe something more vicious...

Hrmm This looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

kinda dissapointing that there isn't a credit joke, but anyway i'll probably go see that movie, although personally i've never seen nicolas cage as a stellar actor

Oh, this looks GOOD. I just might have to find it playing near me.

Well, Werner Herzog did make a movie version of Georg Buchner's play Woyzeck, which is about a poor soldier who stabs his common-law wife in the throat after he pretty much goes insane. And since that kind of subject matter requires a certain execution (as Alban Berg so gloriously proved when he set that play into an opera), then I wouldn't be surprised if Herzog would do a good job of helming this particular film.

Great review as always. :)

Wow. Now I have to see that.

Great way of showing off the movie. Nick Cage is a crazy man that makes any movie that might be poo if someone else does the movie.

The sad thing is that real New Orleans cops are that evil. During Katrina they shot a retarded kid five times in the back for fleeing in an aggressive manner (paraphrase).

By the time he said '...more or less rape...', I pretty much turned off the film outright.

EDIT: (fixed)

Warachia:
...although personally i've never seen nicolas cage as a stellar actor

Indeed. To be honest, he generally seems quite medicore; but given his most 'memorable' (not in a good way) role I've seen him in was 'Gone in 60 seconds', thats not surprising, given that movie was extremely awful and purely for the car head crowd.

Werner Herzog? I'm in.

Wow...

Bad Lieutenant (1992)... overrated? This version... worth watching? Yeah, that's your credibility gone down the drain, B.

Seriously, save your money and go watch something else. Something good.

Bob! You must see Fantastic Mr. Fox before it leaves! Even though it's been in theaters for quite some time already. Don't miss it!

Actually, I remember Brad Dourif chiefly as Saavedro in Myst III.

Wow he got to 2:05 before he even mentioned the movie!

I'd like to go and see this but it sounds really graphic and unpleasant... Heavy focus on the drug taking/torture/rape aspects, not my cuppa tea really.

Mykonos:
Bob! You must see Fantastic Mr. Fox before it leaves! Even though it's been in theaters for quite some time already. Don't miss it!

Is he doing requests?

In that case he should totally do Stingray Sam!

Looks decent not seen its namesake but I saw a Takeshi Kitano film called violent cop that was along the same lines and that was pretty effective. Defiantly gonna look for it.

I will probably not see it. Dirty Harry was different, he was a good guy throughout the movie, this is about a rapist who does drugs and happens to also be a cop.

I'm probably going to see this, what with being a Nicholas Cage whore. And that line at the end is possibly the greatest thing I will ever hear.

Even up to the point of clicking the triangle, I thought, "Nah, this is gonna be trash."

Now I'm gonna see it. I think that's a job well done. (My immediate thought is Fear and Loathing 2: Copland)

300lb. Samoan:
If I'm lucky, I can go see it as Studio 35 where I can enjoy it in a dilapidated single-screen theater while eating a greasy pizza and swigging beer. Yea, that just sounds perfect. Might just want to get stoned first as well, or maybe something more vicious...

Man that sounds wonderful. And better get back in the car, those bats are swarming around your invisible words.

This movie seemed a whole lot better in quality than your previous ones, Bob. Not even a single compression/pixel artifact type thing, I believe!

I remember watching part of the original late one night on a random channel. I didn't know what it was at the time, I just remember flicking over when the 'almost rape' scene was on and thinking 'wtf is this crazy shit!'

Doug:
By the time he said '...more or less rape...', I pretty much turned off the film outright.

EDIT:

Warachia:

Indeed. To be honest, he generally seems quite medicore; but given his most 'memorable' (not in a good way) role I've seen him in was 'The Fast and the Furious', thats not surprising, given that movie was extremely awful and purely for the car head crowd.

You're prob thinking of Gone in 60 seconds, or failing that Vin Diesel. Nick Cage wasn't in 'The Fast and the Furious' Just a heads up.

Watching this remake on Monday, and I can't wait. Herzog is a hell of a film-maker, but he admits to having not seen Abel Ferrera's original. Which is probably for the best. Because Ferrera's Bad Lieutenant was actually quite good, compared with shit like The Driller Killer.

never even heard of this movie...and from what it looks like...not sure i wanted to hear of this movie, but now i know(and knowing is half the battle) and i dont want to watch it...

BTW. that one lizard wasnt an iguana twas a bearded dragon! get it right! =P

Too bad this isn't playing near me.

BTW, Sarah Silverman as Wonder Woman? Awesome.

Flushfacker:
I remember watching part of the original late one night on a random channel. I didn't know what it was at the time, I just remember flicking over when the 'almost rape' scene was on and thinking 'wtf is this crazy shit!'

Doug:

EDIT:

Warachia:

Indeed. To be honest, he generally seems quite medicore; but given his most 'memorable' (not in a good way) role I've seen him in was 'The Fast and the Furious', thats not surprising, given that movie was extremely awful and purely for the car head crowd.

You're prob thinking of Gone in 60 seconds, or failing that Vin Diesel. Nick Cage wasn't in 'The Fast and the Furious' Just a heads up.

Quite probably. It was so awful, I probably didn't pay attention to the title, heh

The Infamous Scamola:

Bad Lieutenant (1992)... overrated? This version... worth watching? Yeah, that's your credibility gone down the drain, B.

Yeah... I kinda figured I was playing with a little bit of a fire bringing that up, but I've been waiting almost two decades to say this in some kind of professional capacity: The original IMO isn't all that good. The central performance by Keitel is MAGNIFICIENT, one for the ages, some of his best work ever as an actor (and thats saying something) but the movie in which it occurs in is an episodic, nonsensical mess. I get that Ferara is working out his issues, and that's fine, but it's all so random, pointless and yet insistent that it's "about" something. Cage's turn in the new one is a different animal than Keitel's, and it's not quite as "where did THAT come from?," but the movie around it is a lot more complete and satisfying.

Jin-Roh:
Wow. Now I have to see that.

Great way of showing off the movie. Nick Cage is a crazy man that makes any movie that might be poo if someone else does the movie.

Nicholas Cage is FUCKING HORRIBLE. He has less acting talent then Keanu who doesn't pretend to be an action star. The only good movies he ever did was Raising Arizona and Faceoff (that can be attributed 100% to John Woo).

I've never made my mind up as to whether Cage is a good or a bad actor.

He does some good stuff, but he does some weird shizz too.

FaceOff was decent, though

this sounds like something I would like to watch I can't believe I was unaware of its existence!

I'd heard they were making a 'sort of' remake of Bad Lieutenant, but I hadn't heard Werner Herzog was a the helm. Cage is at his best when he's playing crazy people or sane people having mental breakdowns, so I can see why it works in this film.

I bet it's be every bit as good as the Wicker Man remake.

AdamI:
I bet it's be every bit as good as the Wicker Man remake.

Oh oh oh if theres Cage in a bear suit punching women, it will be worth it.

forget the fact that it's Nick Cage, the kind of shit they pull in this movie is freaking insane. The arrest scene when he finally apprehends the antagonist is priceless.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here