But, I LIKE this Cliché!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

But, I LIKE this Cliché!

RPGs are very fond of recycling content, thank goodness.

Read Full Article

Mages wearing dresses...i mean robes...

The Ancient Well-Lit Tomb with Traps that Still Work:

This one doesn't just apply to games. Matthew Reilly's Jack West series of books does that as well. It's actually amusing to find that ancient Chinese tomb traps and Egyptian rituals that haven't been performed in millennia still work after three to five thousand years.

CounterAttack:
The Ancient Well-Lit Tomb with Traps that Still Work:

This one doesn't just apply to games. Matthew Reilly's Jack West series of books does that as well. It's actually amusing to find that ancient Chinese tomb traps and Egyptian rituals that haven't been performed in millennia still work after three to five thousand years.

The best part is that after thousands of years, the mechanized, fully automatic, dart holes of death still have ammunition, despite the pile of bones they've generated over the years.

1. The warrior princess who runs right into the thick of battle wearing a bikini, whilst her male comrade wears a full suit of iron armor, complete with full-face helm and shield.

2. In mere minutes, you become so skilled at magic/combat that you can stand toe-to-toe with battle-hardened mercenaries, often owning them gloriously.

3. Elves. 'nuff said.

Other RPG cliches... How about entering other people's houses, searching through their belongings for anything good and leaving with their belongings and money. And noone bats an eyelid.

Rpg Cliche:

The classic "Break shit around town and have no-one care" thing.

Link is a prime offender.

Okay. What other good RPG cliché did I leave out?

What I like to call the David Tennant's Doctor Syndrome.

You could be a bastard to everyone, and everyone still loves you (and in BioWare games, occasionally want to have Elfy sex with you). This goes hand in hand with the fact that you could be evil to the point of burning down puppy orphanages, and everyone will still expect you to save the world instead of allying with the big bad and killing everything quicker.

Here's one for the list:

Player Character: "Hi, I'm the stalwart hero of the land. I'm going to go into your private home, rifle through all of your possesions and lift anything even remotely of value. Is that OK?"

Villager: "I feel asleep" (or some other inane bit of repeated dialog)

Biroshock:
Other RPG cliches... How about entering other people's houses, searching through their belongings for anything good and leaving with their belongings and money. And noone bats an eyelid.

oblivion disagrees with you XD

How about the ever abundant supply of Bandits? Almost every RPG I have played is flooded with tons of bandits, and for a good reason. They're a humanoid enemy you are allowed to fight without any need for plot exposition. Plus you won't feel guilty killing them. So they provide for a nice change from the constant hordes of *insert generic fantasy creature here*. Though with so many of them you'd think they would have banded together to form a massive army instead of menacing traveling merchants.

ZZoMBiE13:
Here's one for the list:

Player Character: "Hi, I'm the stalwart hero of the land. I'm going to go into your private home, rifle through all of your possesions and lift anything even remotely of value. Is that OK?"

Villager: "I feel asleep" (or some other inane bit of repeated dialog)

Actually, there is an amusing bit in FFVII that addresses this. As you open a chest in an old man' s house, he claims, "Oh! It has been a long time since I've seen you around!" Then, his wily kid says , "No gramps, this is some complete stranger who barged into our house, and is taking our things." Or something along those lines.

I'm Female character type A - I'm a Sex Object

I'm Female character type B - I'm a Matron

I'm Female character type C - I'm an Evil Version of A or B

Chickens. They're everywhere.

I've only played a few RPGs and two of them are by Bathesda, but I seem to be coming across a lot of chickens. I can't remember any chickens in Fallout 3, but that's understandable, what with the radiation and all that.

Drinking ten bottles of wine without vomiting all over the place.

Eating stuff you find on the floor without vomiting all over the place.

And also, being able to travel for days on end with very, very little sleep, food or water -or even none at all.

BioWare/Obsidian games often times have a court/trial scene in them where you have to talk to individual voters and attempt to convince them to vote one way or another. To varying degrees, I think most of BioWare's games have had such a scene. This is definitely a cliche I've enjoyed.

Agressive rats.........why do rpg-rats have such a thirst for blood....if rats were as agressive IRL as they are in oblivion we would surely perish.

FedEx quests.

"Hi! I'm Joe Hero and I've come to save you all from the perfidious clutches of..."

"Yeah yeah; here's the box of spoons that they desperately need over in Spoonsville. Make sure it gets there overnight and there's a tip in it for ya!"

The problem witrh cliché's is actually a problem with people, i'll use the same explanation as i did when peopel we're ttalking about metroid: other M like they already know what it was like even though it's not even coiming out this year.

Change something dramatically (most significant in established franchises):
People are gonna while about not staying true to the franchise or genre, and ruining it.

Change something slightly.
people are gonan be like: Meh, it's just a gimmicky change, that's made so you wouldn't look like (see below

Change nothing/"stay true" to the genre/franchinse:
omg learn to make new stuff instead of releasing teh same game over and over.

theres no way the dev's can do anything without having a bunch of people whine about it, cause too many people are basicly whiny fucks

and to answer a possible question befdore it comes up:
yes i do fully realize that i'm whinning over whinners, but how does that disprove my point?

Also, you forgot the "chainmail bikinis on a "hot chicks" offers as much protection as the 100 lbs chainmail the male character wears. but you sortof commented on that in the latest stolen pixels, so you're forgiven, the ninja-army has been called back, and you may live...for now.

Dev Null:
FedEx quests.

"Hi! I'm Joe Hero and I've come to save you all from the perfidious clutches of..."

"Yeah yeah; here's the box of spoons that they desperately need over in Spoonsville. Make sure it gets there overnight and there's a tip in it for ya!"

FedEx quests? I'm going to use that right after this Langdell Quest.

Rifling through people's junk and taking what you like while they look on.

I love it when JRPG's throw all sorts of crazy twists and conspiracies at you (I think it qualifies as a cliche, or at least something they do a lot). I also love airships and floating continents; they're in so many JRPG's for a reason, and that's that they're awesome.

bobisimo:
BioWare/Obsidian games often times have a court/trial scene in them where you have to talk to individual voters and attempt to convince them to vote one way or another. To varying degrees, I think most of BioWare's games have had such a scene. This is definitely a cliche I've enjoyed.

Yeah... I like this one too...
That trial scene in NWN2 was one of the most effective scenes in the game... and for a while I thought it was one of the best scenes in any game that I had played. Then I hit the trial scene in Dragon Age... and it was better!

I liked looting that guy's apartment in Kotor 2. You know, on Telos? You walk in and take the stuff in the chest footlocker, and as you walk out this old dude walks in and starts yelling at you. In response, you can apologize or kill him. First time that happened, I was totally taken aback.

"This is an arr-pee-gee!! Don't you know how this works, old man?!"

I'm also a sucker for mysterious castles or fortresses. Not darkly mysterious, but mysterious in the sense that everyone you meet treats it like a utopia or some hallowed place.

TheDoctor455:

bobisimo:

Yeah... I like this one too...
That trial scene in NWN2 was one of the most effective scenes in the game... and for a while I thought it was one of the best scenes in any game that I had played. Then I hit the trial scene in Dragon Age... and it was better!

i like the trial scene in Chrono Trigger. "he ate my lunch, guilty","found my cat, not guilty". that was funny.

the 'love interest' sub plots, Final Fantasy has gotten really bad about it lately (EI since 7) , while yea, can see it happening, but dose it need to be in every 'epic world saving quest'

.... and why do i always need to 'save' it all the time .... i've only played ONE rpg where i actualy ended the world ( SMT Nocturne fyi) >.> might reflect poorly on me, but i'd atleast like the option to end the world

Main char is ALWAYS asleep at the start

I don't mind the amnesia cliche (as seen in almost every single CRPG).

If done well, it introduces the setting wonderfully, and explains why the PC is so ignorant of things he ought to know about. The alternative is either forcing the player to read the manual (which is so last millennium), having non-interactive intro movies explaining it, or to have a (boring) tutorial section as in Fallout 3 which everyone will want to skip.

teisjm:
Also, you forgot the "chainmail bikinis on a "hot chicks" offers as much protection as the 100 lbs chainmail the male character wears. but you sortof commented on that in the latest stolen pixels, so you're forgiven, the ninja-army has been called back, and you may live...for now.

I wouldn't use a ninja army because if you get more than 3 ninja together then their skill is inversely proportional to the amount of ninja or Power = 1/ninja(the inverse ninja formula).

OT:There's also the fact that if a structure is big enough when it is abandoned it is always a hideout for something and still has treasure in it no matter how long it was abandoned.

It's the difference between a cliche and a trope. Trope are reused story devices for a reason: because they work, because they provide entertainment. Cliches are the same when they're done wrong/shallowly/repeated without good intention.

I would say, "No, you can't ever win this fight, you will automatically fail your save (even if you're tough as god) and be forced into a cutscene where the bad guy wins and gets away because this is bad plot railroading," is a bad RPG cliche.

On the other hand, "Now it's time to wander through the cool, well-designed ruins of a forgotten race with neat theme music" a good RPG trope.

Me, I always like the part of the game where you have to choose a faction to work for--provided it's well written. Frex, I liked in Baldur's Gate II when you had to choose between the thieves or the vampires--it was a matter of the lesser or greater of two evils, so it was kind of a dingy choice, but you had to save Imoen...

Speaking of which, if they ever used the distressed damsel schtick, at least they usually don't make said damsel helpless and useless--they were just in a bad place at a bad time (or made a bad decision) and you have a lot more reason to rescue them more than, "Because she's there and thou must."

The "Break into random people's houses and take their shit. While they watch, and even greet you kindly after you steal all their possesions and sell them for armor/items/money/crack." cliche is still going strong today.

However I know a bad cliché! that needs to die soon:

You are The Lord of Good and basically the embodiment of Christ and your on your way to confront the Dark Lord Babykiller who's so evil he loved hiding T.V. remotes from people, is the embodiment of Satan, at his castle covered in acid and surrounded by lava.

But before you can get to it you have to either find a key hidden on another mountain covered in spikes and guarded by a vicious dragon that makes Babykiller seem like a walk in the park.

Or you have to find something for some old man which is also on the spike covered, dragon defended mountain.

Seriously, that cliché needs to get shot in the head.

(okay, maybe I exaggerated a bit, but not by much)

You already wrote one up-- the inane key quest.

Wolves, wild dogs, coyotes, mutant blue tentacle wolf things (FF7) etc
Everywhere you go in any RPG you always run into wolf type monsters. FF12 was the worst for this and Oblivion not far behind.
From a geek like perspective this really irks me because in reality wolves barely ever attack any human ever. Or so David Attenborough said.

Shamus Young:
The Ancient, Well-Lit Tomb With Traps That Still Work

Yes, it's stupid. If I left my car sitting exposed to the elements for just ten years I don't expect it would start up on the first try afterward. Yes, traps with wooden moving parts that remain functional for hundreds of years at the bottom of a damp cave are ludicrous, as are the monsters that live there without setting them off. The fact that traps of stone and wood so often seem to have optical or light-based mechanisms is more than a little goofy. And the ever-burning torches on the walls and the glowing crystals that light the place are kind of messed up too.

But screw you. Tombs and ruins are fun.

I'll have you know those traps are the work of professionals ;)

http://escapepod.org/2005/06/23/ep007-the-trouble-with-death-traps/
http://escapepod.org/2009/11/12/ep224-the-ghost-in-the-death-trap/

Also how the bosses at the end of dungeons/castles/impregnable fortresses are always so cocky. I've fought my way to the lair, killed the gate guards, kicked down the door, annihilated every single one of the 200 men you had guarding the place. Along the way I probably emerged victorious in a duel with their trusted lieutenant who's never lost so much as a game of noughts and crosses in his/her life.

After all this, I rummaged through their corpses, equipped the best loot and have now burst into their chamber, likely killing three or four more of the elite bodyguards in front of his/her eyes. how are they still always so confident of their ability to defeat me? Why do they still mock my 'puny' skills when I am having to tread water just to keep from drowning in the blood of their minions?

The final sting is when you inevitably beat them, to the tune of "It seems I underestimated you, adventurer...". You think? You don't reckon the swathe of destruction I left just to get to you was the first clue?

Nevertheless, I still get a swell of pride when I take that bastard down a peg or two...!

A cartoon I saw in my youth subverted the trap cliche`. Rather than guess where to stand and for how long to avoid the firey balls of impaling spear doom, they were able to locate the service passages the engineers used to perform routine maintenance of the death machine and simply walked around.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here