The Escapist Film Festival 2009: Watch! - Episode 0

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Lmao i loved that. The guy with the like goate is cool. Reminbds me of an episode of Fairly odd parents and the time alternating watch

I like this entry. I could see myself watching this web series. Please continue even if The Escapist does not pick you.

Now that was funny. I am a fan of Contra, I really dug the jokes you guys wrote as well.

Thanks everyone for the support! We really climbed up pretty fast. Don't forget to vote daily!!

It was good. The chemistry between you guys is nice and you can actually act. If I wasn't in the competition I would have voted for you. If all else fails, I'll vote for you on the last day.

I completely sympathize. I want to vote for Rocket Riots but..I also really want to win (imagine that.)

Also, if you click my profile you can view our two joke promos for this event. They're pretty funny, so enjoy that and THEN vote for us!!1

Dialogue, story, characters - Brilliant! Was entertained and amused. Two thumbs up!

Awesome, now if only people who aren't competition would watch our video...so that way we could get some votes... : (

tejeti:
Dialogue, story, characters - Brilliant! Was entertained and amused. Two thumbs up!

Zetsubou J:
Awesome, now if only people who aren't competition would watch our video...so that way we could get some votes... : (

Lol. Seriously though, this is a good point. XD. I greatly appreciate the compliments though guys. I'm just curious, the person who posts under Tejeti is the person who addresses the camera in the YouTube video about your entry, right?

Wow one of the first videos to actually make me laugh.

I like the personalities of the characters (easily relatable) and it was fun to watch.

Keep it up!

Danji:

tejeti:

Zetsubou J:

Lol. Seriously though, this is a good point. XD. I greatly appreciate the compliments though guys. I'm just curious, the person who posts under Tejeti is the person who addresses the camera in the YouTube video about your entry, right?

Yeah he's the main guy (Jared) and he posts on the tejeti account.

apothicflash:

I like the personalities of the characters (easily relatable) and it was fun to watch.

Keep it up!

We would love to, but if we don't get contracted the Escapist owns our idea regardless. *sigh*

Zetsubou J:

apothicflash:

Keep it up!

We would love to, but if we don't get contracted the Escapist owns our idea regardless. *sigh*

Not really man. They just own the first episode. You can change the name of the series and just continue.

varun619:

Zetsubou J:

apothicflash:

Keep it up!

Not really man. They just own the first episode. You can change the name of the series and just continue.

Actually, no, they own the concept. Go check the original thread for the contest.

Danji:

varun619:

Zetsubou J:

apothicflash:

Keep it up!

Actually, no, they own the concept. Go check the original thread for the contest.

But if you read the original forum thread page over here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.148518?page=3

spinwhiz explains that you can continue the concept by changing the name. Only the first ep will belong to the escapist

"People have been asking "what does The Escapist own if I don't win the contract", so I wanted to post an answer.

If you do not win the contract this year, your submission stays with us but your creativity does not. So, if you wanted to use your ideas and characters elsewhere, you would be able to but the video you submitted with The Escapist for the Film Festival must remain solely at The Escapist and nowhere else. Even if someplace else picks your video up, the entry you submitted to us stays here."

Oh, and one more thing. What can they do really? People will obviously post episodes 2,3,etc. on their youtubes or wherever.

Haha, this one was the most enjoyable I have watched so far. The writing and great interaction between characters is the strength here, just a little more expertise in filming, audio recording and editing would polish this up.

niboswald:
Haha, this one was the most enjoyable I have watched so far. The writing and great interaction between characters is the strength here, just a little more expertise in filming, audio recording and editing would polish this up.

Thanks for the compliments! I was wondering how long before someone brought up the audio and video problem. There was a simple mistake made in the production that is easily solvabe so if we were to continue as a series the audio and video would be substantially better!

Also, thanks for asking Varun. To be honest though..this was a lower budget episode and in the future we were hoping for more elaborate costumes (we already have a seamstress signed on) so funding it ourselves would result in a lower quality product.

Also, we're poor. XD

Danji:
Also, thanks for asking Varun. To be honest though..this was a lower budget episode and in the future we were hoping for more elaborate costumes (we already have a seamstress signed on) so funding it ourselves would result in a lower quality product.

Also, we're poor. XD

No problem. About the budget, that's what I was thinking. Your show has potential, but judging from pocket monsters and dorian's quest, they look they'll go nowhere at all.

I want mine to win too, since I've got it all planned out, but oh well. I atleast hope I win the escapist judges' prize and get a contract

Haha good show. Liked it.
The Xbox-door trick is excellent

Woah! The last day of voting is getting crazy! We went up to 4th, then dropped to 6th when Dungeon Desinger passed us, and then they went all the way down to 9th!! This is madness!! (not to be mistaken for Sparta)

Thanks everyone for your comments!! They are greatly appreciated.

niboswald:

Wow... was my work really that bad???

Posted because it's funny.

Definitely fantastic, and probably under viewed due to the title and screen capture. I really hope that this does not fall to obscurity because the characters and writing were very fun.

Also. Viewtiful Joe? If I could vote 11 times, I would just for 'Henshin A-go Go'.

bakonslayer:
Definitely fantastic, and probably under viewed due to the title and screen capture. I really hope that this does not fall to obscurity because the characters and writing were very fun.

Also. Viewtiful Joe? If I could vote 11 times, I would just for 'Henshin A-go Go'.

Yeah, I'm really hoping the lack of viewers choice votes doesn't hurt our chance of winning the overall contest.

Okay, they noted it in the other thread and I'm going to come clean....Pocket Monsters TOTALLY vote-spammed. I was all "No! Don't do it!" and they were like "THEY'LL NEVER KNOW!!!!"

This totally happened I assure you! XD

Danji:
Okay, they noted it in the other thread and I'm going to come clean....Pocket Monsters TOTALLY vote-spammed. I was all "No! Don't do it!" and they were like "THEY'LL NEVER KNOW!!!!"

We'd prefer you report your suspicions to the Staff, including any evidence you may have, and not cast claims to the public in what appears to be a smear attempt.

paulgruberman:

Danji:

We'd prefer you report your suspicions to the Staff, including any evidence you may have, and not cast claims to the public in what appears to be a smear attempt.

By the way, does the escapist panel take into major account the viewer's choice when they're considering the "Best video" category?

paulgruberman:

Danji:

I was just joking. I thought that would be obvious from the all caps and piles of exclamation points.

No, they definitely didn't as far as I know. I mean, they didn't have to. They made an excellent entry on a popular video game in a unique style. There really is no wonder as to why they won. In fact, I was surprised anyone would be stupid enough to cheat at this..like you guys wouldn't check IPs.

varun619:

By the way, does the escapist panel take into major account the viewer's choice when they're considering the "Best video" category?

I'm not on that panel (just working behind the scenes to make sure the voting's as clean as can be), so I can't say with any authority. You might ask in the overall Film Fest thread, as it'd have a higher chance of being spotted by one of the Staff on the relevant panel. Keep in mind we're pretty busy with all the various things going on around here, so give 'em a bit to get back to you before you move on to sending a PM.

Danji:

I was just joking. I thought that would be obvious from the all caps and piles of exclamation points.

No, they definitely didn't as far as I know. I mean, they didn't have to. They made an excellent entry on a popular video game in a unique style. There really is no wonder as to why they won. In fact, I was surprised anyone would be stupid enough to cheat at this..like you guys wouldn't check IPs.

Sometimes even the obvious becomes subtle to someone skimming through, and we've had things of similar nature blow up to the detriment of everyone. My apologies if I came across overly harsh.

IP checks are just a part of what we examine, so even the people who try to mask their efforts by proxy-hopping aren't safe. It's not exactly a quick process though, as we try to limit false positives (like, say, a bunch of people at a company or university), and we'd prefer to spend our time on more fruitful things than cleaning up after the 'mistakenly overeager'.

We both got honorable mentions mate.

That's bittersweet. :) :(

So there is a chance we may continue the series ourselves or something similar. If you (whoever the hell is reading this) would like to be notified when, then please subscribe to our YouTube account (which you can find through my profile.)

Not bad...

The writing, while I could use a bit of polish, was actually really nice. Sound could use some work, and I wasn't a fan of MASSIVE TIMESTAMP, but overall the only thing that really bothered me was how jagged the progression of the episode was. Slow things down a bit, and this could actually be a decent series.

Thanks for the criticism. I wish we had more than 5 minutes to show you the original much better jokes and well-paced plot progression but we couldn't cut much out but had to make it fit in 5 minutes...ugh..

Originally, this first episode was a 2-episode pilot of 40 minutes in length...so yea..there was a LOT we cut.

I hope you guys realize that if you put a little more time into you sound and video editing, you probably would have won... Nice job tho, still one of my top two favs.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here