The Escapist Film Festival 2009: Pocket Monsters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

BY god this is the best video by far, Ive seen the rest and...no! Well done gents for some reason unknown to me you guys are 2nd but Goddammit it blew my mind Voted

WOW this is good I mean really good!. Voted! I like the direction and still you choose to do this in and am looking forward to the next one. I can't help but notice that your from Oklahoma did you film there? I'm just wonder cause I'm from OK too.

Yeah it's the site's media player that does that to the audio.

Layth Hassan Yousef Inad AL-Najjar:
Very good. The acting was a bit wooden and there's the microphone problem, but that's all teething problems. I've looked at every entry and this is one of about five that stood out enough and it is the only one that had the most potential for distance to earn its bread.

Two suggestions, if you don't mind, are to work on the acting and tighten the plot, like the end. Team Rocket's introduction is very well shot and all, but the shadowed Giovanni is useless since its obvious its him. The whole point of the shadowing in the games and animated version was that it introduces mystery as who the big boss is. Most of the people watching this will have known that, so either drop the pretense, or have something up your sleeve for that.

Or not, what do I know?

Layth

The effect still works, actually. While we really know who the person behind the shadow is, it still gives off the effect of the big mysterious boss lurking from the shadows. Granted, the "reveal" won't have much luster since we know who it is, but still.

Also, question to the creators: Was this inspired by "There will be Brawl" at all? To me it feels that way, but still approached in a unique sense.

Either way, got my vote.

Great effort in the filming and effects and a clever theme with longevity. Acting and pace was the downfall but definite potential

Great video! But Jesse and James is kinda... scary... Voted

definitely what is needed to replace there will be brawl, I need another internet drama that makes me want to watch the next episode

DarkWarriorSSJ:
[quote="Layth Hassan Yousef Inad AL-Najjar" post="6.160801.4086671"]
Also, question to the creators: Was this inspired by "There will be Brawl" at all? To me it feels that way, but still approached in a unique sense.

Either way, got my vote.

Believe it or not, we were tossing this idea around six months ago, before any of us had seen or heard of TWBB. The show had a slightly different premise,but it was still basically the dark take on Pokemon.However, the entire cast and crew absolutely loves TWBB, so there might be some influence there.

As for the acting, neither Blake nor I have ever done this sort of thing, so we are still cutting our teeth. We have found an acting coach though. It's just gonna take a bit of practice.

We appreciate the feedback and the votes guys!

Nice Video. More substance and direction than the other entries. You got my vote :D

I really enjoyed this video. It was interesting and seemed very well thought out. You have secured my vote for sure.

Also, this is by far the most badass case of American Kirby is Hardcore ever.

Angrypudding:
Truly impressed with this video. The other entries are funny but I feel like these guys put forth more effort.

Agreed. Excellent job on editing, and the acting is better than most other vids, too.

Very well done, great pace. As soon as I saw the lightning bolts I thought "Oh, shit. Pikachu." Then the distant "Pika!" was perfectly timed.

This will likely be victim of "There Will Be Brawl Copy" shit, but since that is concluding later this month you should have a nice niche to fill. I want to see this continue, some of the other frontrunners seem like they make a good "video", but wouldn't make a good "show".

Sporky111:
Very well done, great pace. As soon as I saw the lightning bolts I thought "Oh, shit. Pikachu." Then the distant "Pika!" was perfectly timed.

This will likely be victim of "There Will Be Brawl Copy" shit, but since that is concluding later this month you should have a nice niche to fill. I want to see this continue, some of the other frontrunners seem like they make a good "video", but wouldn't make a good "show".

Yeah, like Dorian's quest, the camera was good and that made it watchable, but it doesn't compare to this,

What an interesting take on Pokemon. Voted.

As many people have already said, this reminds me a lot about There Will be Brawl, but I think thats a good thing. This could become an very interesting series that personally I would watch. Good job.

Yes u guys are finally in 1st where u belong. I don't quite understand what took so long but at least people are coming seeing what i see work of art good jobs gents

Loved it. I think that the atmosphere was perfect and the characters are great. I love the dark side of the Pokemon and I think that this would make a great series on the Escapist.

Well simply because someone tried to tell me that I was ignorant because I didn't think that DQ's video was from God, I will continue to support this one. I had been voting for other things, but not anymore. Good luck you guys.

EDIT: I should have said work of God or work from God maybe? That would have made my point more clear.

Fucking. Awesome.

Very nice production values. Need to work a bit on the acting.

Hey_look_a_cat:
definitely what is needed to replace there will be brawl, I need another internet drama that makes me want to watch the next episode

why did you have to remind me that TWBB will be ending? *cries*

I want to see more, and thats the greatest compliment, I can give. you got my vote and then some

Great job for a 5-minute limit.

Completely exceeded my expectations from when I was first told of this idea.

You've got my support as far as votes and if you need anything for the series, Kyle knows how to get a hold of me =]

I anticipate this one making the final cut, so when it does, here's what I hope to see:

- Making Team Rocket effective and evil, as is their right. We have a great start with Jesse and James's "why so serious" masks, not to mention the katanas. Keep this up. Toy around with all the old Team Rocket cliches. If anyone can make them scary, you guys can.

- Fun with different types of storytelling. Every area in the game has its own shtick, and each area could also have its own style of film. The poison/Team Rocket town would lend itself nicely to a pastiche of "Boondock Saints". The bike trail would allow for a parody of "Easy Rider". Scenes in the ocean could reference "Jaws". The ghost tower is obvious. There's a lot of room to play around in here. Make the most of it.

- The legion of Nurse Joys and Officer Jennies. Every town had one. It won't do to make the joke too obvious, but a little side joke would get a giggle out of me, and lots of other people.

- The Pokemon themselves. This will naturally be tricky, since Pokemon are highly unnatural and powerful, and if they look ridiculous, it will break the feel of the series. So, go carefully on this one, and know that you have my sympathies, but when you do put them in, make them good and scary.

Anyhow, best of luck, and I look forward to seeing your unique vision of the Pocket Monsters.

Random argument man:
I liked it. However, I'm wondering if we will see some "pokemon" if you guys win.

Im all for this idea, i hope they do, this video rocks! i really want to see more

Gunblade7303:

Random argument man:
I liked it. However, I'm wondering if we will see some "pokemon" if you guys win.

Im all for this idea, i hope they do, this video rocks! i really want to see more

You definitely will see Pokemon. :)

so on my second viewing...
yeah this is a no brainer, ya'll deserve it =)
I mean, it's pretty awesome, and whatever I don't mention was good IMO

my only worries aren't so much the acting (practice is free), but just be careful with some non-digital effects (the vines with bulbasaur could've been better, I'm thinking camera angles really) and of course the audio (improved microphones?)
(haha I don't really like ash wearing the traditional pokemon trainer garb cuz the colors are a bit bright and clashing but that's just a personal thing, it's up to ya'll)
buttt like I said other than that, what can I say? you guys got it going x)

This entry was pretty good. Good luck to ya.

Wow. this was good, but I get the feeling they "got the idea" from there will be brawl.
and the lack of seeing the pokemon put me off a little....I sware if there cuddly toys....

Looks a lot like "There Will Be Brawl". At least in the dark style. Changed my vote from "Dorians Quest" to this. Guess we have a winner here :).

This is fuckin AWSOME! Nice one dudes, you got my vote!

That looks like its gonna be epic, it seemed like it was just gonna be a great one episode but how they introduced jessie and james at the end made me wanna watch it more.

irefusetoincludenumbersinthisname:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Why is this video only #2? Dorian's Quest has a somewhat attractive girl and nothing else going for it. THERE IS NO JUSTICE.

Well it is an opinion after all.

Then why don't you actually voice YOUR opinion instead of being all cryptic and such. Say what you're really thinking, because we'd all LOVE to know.

Colossus08:
Then why don't you actually voice YOUR opinion instead of being all cryptic and such. Say what you're really thinking, because we'd all LOVE to know.

Wait are you talking to me? If so you should really have quoted me or put my name in it or something. If not then my apologies.

I don't really see how I was being cryptic. All I was trying to say is what is good and what isn't is an opinion. As opposed to a fact which it was being stated as.

And I don't really see how my opinion has anything to do with that point but OK, if you really want to know. I thought it was quite good, and would be well used to fill the gap left by TWBB.

Of course you could be being sarcastic, it's hard to tell in text. If this is indeed the case I must ask why the attitude? What did I do to deserve that kind of thing?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here