The Escapist Film Festival 2009: Pocket Monsters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Holy fuck monkey...im speech less... god i hope this is picked!

Shockware:

WaderiAAA:

Angrypudding:

WaderiAAA:

1337girlFTW:
Great video! But Jesse and James is kinda... scary... Voted

Personally I'm kind of glad they aren't so stupid you can't quite take them seriously even when they have Pikachu kidnaped and things should be looking bad (like in the anime series). My only problem is that it looked like one of them said something without the mask's mouth moving (unless it was Giovanni that said "we like making friends")

Is the masks mouth supposed to move?

That depends on whether Jesse and James are actually supposed to be wearing masks, or whether the masks are suppsoed to be what their faces really looks like. If I am correct that the later is the case, it should (or they should be wearing face paint rather than masks)

I think they are just suppose to be wearing masks IMO. Like masked psycho killers. Like instead of how it is in the cartoon where they are bad, but always stupid laughable bad guys, their faces are just stupid laughable masks that show that they are actually twisted inside.

That does make a lot of sense. And adds to the video's qualities.

Great Job

WaderiAAA:

Angrypudding:

WaderiAAA:

1337girlFTW:

Personally I'm kind of glad they aren't so stupid you can't quite take them seriously even when they have Pikachu kidnaped and things should be looking bad (like in the anime series). My only problem is that it looked like one of them said something without the mask's mouth moving (unless it was Giovanni that said "we like making friends")

That depends on whether Jesse and James are actually supposed to be wearing masks, or whether the masks are suppsoed to be what their faces really looks like. If I am correct that the later is the case, it should (or they should be wearing face paint rather than masks)

oh ok so you're deciding that the masks are their faces since masks are supposed to be faces? Why would the masks be their faces? how would that make any sense? I don't understand your logic. Not trying to be a jerk just trying to understand your justification.

Shockware:

WaderiAAA:

Angrypudding:

WaderiAAA:

1337girlFTW:

I think they are just suppose to be wearing masks IMO. Like masked psycho killers. Like instead of how it is in the cartoon where they are bad, but always stupid laughable bad guys, their faces are just stupid laughable masks that show that they are actually twisted inside.

agreed. The weird childlike music at the end kinda goes along with the "evil innocence" kinda thing which makes them, instead of a joke (like the cartoon), very disturbed individuals that mask their identity.

all i have to say is 'Inter-nettiquette'

i just slayed a troll

and it was me :(

Why is this winning? This is horrible...
No offense.

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

My guess is because the masses outweigh the few, and the masses disagree with you.

But to each his own.

We'll see how things turn out in a couple of days.

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

It's not funny, it's unoriginal, and it's virtually unenjoyable. The camerawork, acting, dialogue, and miserable attepmts at humor simply offend me as a living thing...

Must I go on?

Don't ask people why they don't enjoy something; they have nothing to lose in complaining about it.

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

It's not funny, it's unoriginal, and it's virtually unenjoyable. The camerawork, acting, dialogue, and miserable attepmts at humor simply offend me as a living thing...

Must I go on?

Don't ask people why they don't enjoy something; they have nothing to lose in complaining about it.

Its not exactly suppose to be a comedy from what I gather..so whether its funny to you or not doesn't seem to matter.

Nothing on here is fully original. Everything on here is inspired by something. Tell me which video is original and i'll vote for it.

Whether its unenjoyable is obviously your own opinion here cause i find it enjoyable and obviously tons others find it enjoyable.

The camera work is great, the camera quality is mediocre. Care to be more specific?

The acting, as stated by the guys behind it, have never acted before and are learning. Its something called "gaining experience". Not the little video game experience, but real life experience, by actually doing something. Which these guys are obviously trying to do...and It seems a lil off on the acting i think more due to the need to voice over cause of their lack of a boom mic.

And if you are that easily offended by little jabs at humor in a thing that isn't suppose to be humorous....well thats your own damn fault for being such a bitch and so easily offended.

Don't complain about something and not expect people to wonder why? that is unless you are complaining to just complain, in that case you are just an attention whore troll. And grats on getting reactions =D

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

Well it is an opinion, not a fact. Not all people have the same opinions.

But I don't see why it's such a big deal if people disagree with your opinion. This isn't the category that gets the permanent slot on the escapist. So I don't really see why one winning over another is such a big deal.

Shockware:

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Must I go on?

Its not exactly suppose to be a comedy from what I gather..so whether its funny to you or not doesn't seem to matter.

Nothing on here is fully original. Everything on here is inspired by something. Tell me which video is original and i'll vote for it.

Whether its unenjoyable is obviously your own opinion here cause i find it enjoyable and obviously tons others find it enjoyable.

The camera work is great, the camera quality is mediocre. Care to be more specific?

The acting, as stated by the guys behind it, have never acted before and are learning. Its something called "gaining experience". Not the little video game experience, but real life experience, by actually doing something. Which these guys are obviously trying to do...and It seems a lil off on the acting i think more due to the need to voice over cause of their lack of a boom mic.

And if you are that easily offended by little jabs at humor in a thing that isn't suppose to be humorous....well thats your own damn fault for being such a bitch and so easily offended.

Don't complain about something and not expect people to wonder why? that is unless you are complaining to just complain, in that case you are just an attention whore troll. And grats on getting reactions =D

Really? Just because some guy stated his opinion that this sucks and he even gave you REASONS why, you call him an attention whore troll? Are you serious?

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Must I go on?

Interesting.
by my asking you why you didn't enjoy it, I was simply curious to what reasons you had. Thats it. LOL. I'm a nice person. =D

But its ok. I think many people highly disagree with you, but you are definitely entitled to your own opinion.

And no I don't really think there was supposed to be humor.... but whatev. I like it because its not humorous. Because is dark, and exciting, and not full of high-school humor. If you saw attempts at humor, I don't know what to tell ya. Because I sure didn't.

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Must I go on?

Interesting.
by my asking you why you didn't enjoy it, I was simply curious to what reasons you had. Thats it. LOL. I'm a nice person. =D

But its ok. I think many people highly disagree with you, but you are definitely entitled to your own opinion.

And no I don't really think there was supposed to be humor.... but whatev. I like it because its not humorous. Because is dark, and exciting, and not full of high-school humor. If you saw attempts at humor, I don't know what to tell ya. Because I sure didn't.

Almost makes you wonder if he actually watched the video, heh.

Shockware:

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Must I go on?

Oh, I'm sorry. Was my opinion different from yours? I'll be sure to avoid it next time.

If you couldn't tell that this is supposed to be dark comedy, I don't know what to say. It's either that, or Pokemon War Drama, which is the most retarded concept I could possibly imagine. I said that the attempts at humor offend me- not becuase they are dirty or anything, but because they are so damn bad it actually hurts to watch this.

Not acting before is not an excuse to be as terrible as this. Not having written before is not an excuse to write as bad as this.

I'm complaining because these are the shows that may get series on the Escapist. I'm reviewing the ones I watch, and "make something else" is the closest I could give to constructive criticism.

But, oh wait; My opinion differs from yours, so I must be a terrible person.

tellmeimaninja:

Shockware:

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Must I go on?

Oh, I'm sorry. Was my opinion different from yours? I'll be sure to avoid it next time.

If you couldn't tell that this is supposed to be dark comedy, I don't know what to say. It's either that, or Pokemon War Drama, which is the most retarded concept I could possibly imagine. I said that the attempts at humor offend me- not becuase they are dirty or anything, but because they are so damn bad it actually hurts to watch this.

Not acting before is not an excuse to be as terrible as this. Not having written before is not an excuse to write as bad as this.

I'm complaining because these are the shows that may get series on the Escapist. I'm reviewing the ones I watch, and "make something else" is the closest I could give to constructive criticism.

He was not yelling at you because you had a different opinion, he was pointing out strong points against your "issues"

The fact you are complaining that it is unoriginal tells me that you must not have seen any of the other videos, this is the most original thing I've seen so far in the contest.

You can't just say "this sucks" and not expect people to ask "why"

tellmeimaninja:

Shockware:

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Must I go on?

Hey tellmeimaninja,

Can you please post a link on here to the video you entered into the contest? I mean, with how bad all the entries are 'in your opinion' I would love to see the work that you've done that is worthy of getting a series on Escapist.

I'll wait with eager anticipation for your reply.

A word of encouragement to tejeti and Pocket Monsters:

Don't let the hating of a few get you down. There is a reason you are in first right now and a reason that 99% of your feedback is positive! These are the kind of things that get you that first step into a greater world. If you had millions of dollars then those of us who love this idea would be expecting something different. No one (well, almost no one) expects perfection, but you've given us great special effects, a story with endless opportunities, and something that could truly be sustainable. You wouldn't be in first and getting the love that you are if people on Escapist didn't enjoy it!

So keep your heads up, and know that those of us who would truly enjoy this series will be here to support you and hope for the best. And those who seem to hate this with such feverish passion can just stop watching. Plain and simple.

I want to apologize if my post seemed a little more harsh than it was intended.

You are more than welcome to voice your opinion, negative or positive, just make sure you point out it is your opinion, and not just say..this sucks.

I still vote for the guys doing the Zelda stunts :D

Seel_27:
I loved it, truly hope you guys win

I do not feel the slightest bit bad about losing to this video.
Bravo lads, Bravo

lookingforloper:

tellmeimaninja:

Shockware:

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Must I go on?

Hey tellmeimaninja,

Can you please post a link on here to the video you entered into the contest? I mean, with how bad all the entries are 'in your opinion' I would love to see the work that you've done that is worthy of getting a series on Escapist.

Sadly, I lack reccording equipment, and I'm not wasting money so I can buy something that will waste my time.

You don't have to have experience in something to have opinions about it. Ever heard of Critics?
I don't make movies, but they entertain me. Why should this follow a different set of rules.

Also, I'm sorry. I forgot that free speech is frowned upon on the internet. How dare I have my own opinion.

Win vid is win.

internetzealot1:
Win vid is win.

Yup. =]

tellmeimaninja:

lookingforloper:

tellmeimaninja:

Shockware:

tellmeimaninja:

Angrypudding:

tellmeimaninja:
No offense.

How?

Must I go on?

Hey tellmeimaninja,

Sadly, I lack reccording equipment, and I'm not wasting money so I can buy something that will waste my time.

You don't have to have experience in something to have opinions about it. Ever heard of Critics?
I don't make movies, but they entertain me. Why should this follow a different set of rules.

Also, I'm sorry. I forgot that free speech is frowned upon on the internet. How dare I have my own opinion.

Oh come on now, no time for crying. No one has said that you can't have your own opinion, just like none of us have stopped voicing ours. It just appears to me that you are more mad or frustrated at someone or something than trying to just 'voice your opinion.'

And indeed, everyone can play critic. But I will say the same thing to you that I do my friends or I do to the people that just decided to tare down other peoples work: If you think that it is so terrible and you would do things so much different, then get your stuff together and do it.

I almost feel like you have some sort of agenda. It's one thing to not be interested in it, but you are the only person that has said that this video is just simply awful. You don't have to like it, you don't have to vote for it, and you can most definitely tell the whole internet world these things, but when you start low blowing and attacking people that actually took the time to produce something then I think you've gone too far.

And THAT is my opinion.

The irony is you give them more publicity by adding more posts on here. So please, keep being the odd man out against this video, and you will continue to promote their entry (that is now one of the most viewed on this site) and in the end, gather them more votes.

Gentlemen, lookingforloper and tellmeimaninja, please, can you not see the irony of your actions? You are attempting to convince your opponent of the truth of your words, but you present your arguments in such a way that your opponent is put on the defensive, making him unlikely to actually listen to a thing you say. It's as if you were trying to punch each other over the Internet.

If you wish to convince each other, or anyone else, of the validity of your arguments, you must put aside the sarcasm and follow the Hierarchy of Disagreement. Quit the the name-calling and the bickering over tone, and don't just state your viewpoint, but back it up, and take the time to analyze what your opponent is saying, and if it is wrong, point out exactly where.

You cannot just state your views and question your opponent's motives and hope that he and everyone else will come along to your way of thinking. Doing so reduces you to a turd-flinging fire-monkey dancing for our amusement. Don't be a dancing turd-flinging fire-monkey.

Shockware:

How about, Watch Episode 0? Seriously, if you can tell me what inspired that (and no, it's recreational drugs contrary to popular belief) then that'd be awesome! :D

Seriously, though, go critique my vid! I need more flamebats and negative comments (and votes but that's a hopeless cause.)

I wanted to say "Well Done" guys. I just read that you taught yourself your way around the effects software just for this, and for anyone who hasn't done that, I can vouch for that being no small feat. It is a fun idea with lots of growing room. I make my living in film, and would like to encourage you to enjoy the praise and just consider any critiques as distant brainstorming fodder for the next endeavor. In this industry one learns a bit by watching and a ton by doing. I do believe you'll be "doing" much more, so cheers ;) Enjoy the journey.
- paula (the gal from Dorian's Quest)

Last day for voting. Best of luck!

luckyp:
I wanted to say "Well Done" guys. I just read that you taught yourself your way around the effects software just for this, and for anyone who hasn't done that, I can vouch for that being no small feat. It is a fun idea with lots of growing room. I make my living in film, and would like to encourage you to enjoy the praise and just consider any critiques as distant brainstorming fodder for the next endeavor. In this industry one learns a bit by watching and a ton by doing. I do believe you'll be "doing" much more, so cheers ;) Enjoy the journey.
- paula (the gal from Dorian's Quest)

Thank you very much! We try our best I suppose. You make your living in film? That's cool. I hope to as well. Not to sound intrusive, but are you an actress professionally? Have an agent and such?

Percutio:

Jiveturkey124:
This doesnt hold a candle to TWBB, anyone saying so obviously hasnt watched an episode of that series.

I didnt like it simply because it didnt have any "Pokemon" touches put in. I mean yea Ash is wearing the same hat as in the games but come on? I mean really if this series gets picked up it needs to stop being so much of a "War" show and more of an actual "Pokemon" show.

Well if that wasn't a pompous opening statement... Anyways I believe people are entitled to their opinions, but personally I enjoy the fact that they have added their own original spin on it without falling into a pit of cliches.

Ok first off "Opening Statement"? Im sorry, are we on the debate team in high school? No were in a online forum, guess what buddy, its a free for all here. Its like an oldschool Hardcore wrestling match, except we wont be wearing tights and wrestling with oily men (most likely).

And all I have been hearing related to this video is "There will be Brawl", everyone seems to be simply judging the video off the success of TWBB and relating anything "Dark and Grittier than usual" to it being "Good". Please, lets judge things on what they really are, not what they "Could or Should" be.

Now before anyone goes on assuming im trolling, I didnt completely hate the video, I loved the ending with Brock telling Ash to use the pokeball, and Jesse and James, I thought both were creative and well done.

Only thing is that was just "the ending", all the filler in between, especially the convo between Ash and Brock, left me cold. I dont think either guys are bad actors, but the delivery of the lines wasnt what I would expect from an Escapist! Show.

This is the line that really did it for me:

"Theres always a f-ing problem brock, when are you going to figure that one out."

Now Im not saying im a great writer or anything or even a great actor, but I have written multiple scripts and stories, and acted them out. To me this reminded me of something I would do very early on, which was write something down and then go "O wait, how is the audience going to understand that!?" and then change it. Immediately I would realize I changed it, and now anytime I tried to say it without stuterring or just sounding generally awkward, it would be impossible.

I got that feeling with this line, Like they kinda thought

"O we better add in Brocks name, or else no one will get who it is!",

Again im not being rude, its just something Ive done before and I saw a similar thing here. And to me, in all honesty I dont see it winning the competition, to be honest I dont think any of the entries this year were as good as the winners from last year, but I will still vote.

And on that note I did vote for Pocket Monsters, because although I may not see it winning, I do think they put alot of effort into it, and with alot of work, they could actually make a damn good show out of it. I just think the projects needs a giant overall in the sound department haha.

Seriously Fixing the sound would make the whole thing a thousand times better in my opinion, and also maybe making Ash a bit more dimensional, I think the cold depressed hero has been kind of overdone, maybe give him a shot of personality, like when catching pokemon, maybe he smiles a bit, kind of like a kid getting a new toy. Just because its dark and gritty doesnt mean people cant have smiles, or personality.

Angrypudding:

WaderiAAA:

Angrypudding:

WaderiAAA:

1337girlFTW:

oh ok so you're deciding that the masks are their faces since masks are supposed to be faces? Why would the masks be their faces? how would that make any sense? I don't understand your logic. Not trying to be a jerk just trying to understand your justification.

I guess I just don't quite get why they would be wearing masks when they are not attacking anyone or anything like that. Few badies keep the masks on all the time.

Wonderful job guys! Stay in first, take home the prize. I can't wait to see this series!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here