Reliable Source: An Australian Attorney General in Thailand

Reliable Source: An Australian Attorney General in Thailand

Mr. Marion Cox recounts a drug-filled romp in the sin capital of Asia with games-censoring Australian Attorney General Michael Atkinson.

Read Full Article

Wut?

Very funny, but I became confused after the Transvestite bit, as I genuinley thought you HAD met the man up until that point. Bah, bugger me

It's a silly problem, and I assume it will only end when he stands down/dies/both

Great article, great way to subtley slander Mr. Atkinson. Maybe slander is a bad word, but it fits. I really enjoyed it.

And way to point out the fact that most of the people who want mature games are also voters. Hopefully Micheal gets his ass voted out soon.

I laughed a lot during that article. Seriously though that man needs to learn that parents can parent as well. Sometimes.

Watch, if he's voted out, he'll blame games for the "Downfall of Austrailia, and eventually the world."

He may not say those exact words, but it will be something like that.

I'm calling it now.

Sporky111:
Great article, great way to subtley slander Mr. Atkinson. Maybe slander is a bad word, but it fits. I really enjoyed it.

And way to point out the fact that most of the people who want mature games are also voters. Hopefully Micheal gets his ass voted out soon.

Your almost right. This is actually libel. Slander is spoken.

I lol'd

Lost In The Void:
I laughed a lot during that article. Seriously though that man needs to learn that parents can parent as well. Sometimes.

Same here...that made me laugh more than anything this week...way a go!!!

Heres a fun fact for all the legalites out there, while Australia doesn't have guaranteed freedom of speech under our constitutuion we do have freedom of speech guaranteed under the United Nations of which Australia is a member.

Good read. It was believable up until the blowing up sharks with dynamite. You lost all probable realism there.

I didn't read all of article (mainly because I'm sleepy) but I just want to point out one thing.

Suvarnabhumi Airport wasn't opened fifteen years ago.It was opened about 3 years ago (around times when there was coup detart to get rid of Takki Shinegra)

coup detart? Is that like a pastry that overthrows political despots?

Marion Cox is male????? (cue dire revelation music)

Very funny. But why is G'day at the end of the letter? It means good day?

Err Those aren't Mass weapons of Destruction they're......Kitten farms....Honest!

Good article,funny to.

Subtly pointing out that Australia has to deal with its own issues.I agree but only to a point.International pressure will be a massive part of resolving this.

Atkinson's key arguements are based on assumption and willfull ignorance.If he can be dragged onto a debate on nation TV that would help.Any mature industry rep or even knowlegable gamer would make short work of his key points.
Down side to that is this issue needs to get big and glossy enough to enter into public debate and I cant see that happening any time soon.
Also from the only debate I've seen on the ABC,the experts on the panel discussing the issue were mostly blatently baised against a 18+ rating,not to mention the moderator as well.Thats what were up against as far as televised debate is concerned.

Unless Atkinson actually did have sex with two asian hookers and an elephant.If only.

008Zulu:
Heres a fun fact for all the legalites out there, while Australia doesn't have guaranteed freedom of speech under our constitutuion we do have freedom of speech guaranteed under the United Nations of which Australia is a member.

lol. That's gold.

As amusing as this is, Michael Atkinson isn't the Attorney-General of Australia, he's the Attorney-General of South Australia. Also, I get the feeling that state Attorney-General is an appointed position, not an elected one, and he's involved mostly in legislative appointments and approvals on a state level, and isn't even required to be a member of parliament. So since he's not really involved in policy-making beyond overseeing the legal ramifications, all that stuff about vote-pandering isn't really relevant.

Watch, if he's voted out, he'll blame games for the "Downfall of Austrailia, and eventually the world."

I'm calling it now.

Irridium:

I'm calling it now.

Too late I called it before you.

What, no picture of a rabid Yahtzee attacking him?

I loved that letter,

But on a more serious note, are Australians allaowed to purchase these illegal games of sites such as Ebay, and then have it mailed to them?Or is it simply illegal all around, and even owning it is illegal?

Deofuta:
I loved that letter,

But on a more serious note, are Australians allaowed to purchase these illegal games of sites such as Ebay, and then have it mailed to them?Or is it simply illegal all around, and even owning it is illegal?

It's all too easy to get "banned" games. You can import from New Zealand (like Germany imports banned games from Austria) .. or just a few setting changes, and we download it off steam like everyone else.

The classification board might think it has the almighty power, but all it's doing is screwing over local retailers...

i have finally realised who Michael Atkinson reminds me of

Just Wait until he starts rating stuff EC-10...

Deofuta:
I loved that letter,

It's illegal yes, but that doesn't stop us.

So I read up on it, and it seems to be similar to when one of our Yankee games gets the AO rating, and some major chains refuse to carry it(virtually all, really). However, with a ban in Australia, it is all stores, everywhere.

Closer to the truth?

Deofuta:
I loved that letter,

Its illegal in the way that Cuban cigars or Stolichnaya is/was in the US. Thats to say it is, but no ones gonna enforce it.

OT: This article suddenly clarifies so much about Atkinson.

I think it's wrong that Atkinson thinks that it's his job to tell us what we can and can't be exposed to. It's our money and we will do with it what we damn well please!

It's his job to keep South Australia in one piece and to let the rest of Australia not give a shit.

Australians do NOT say shrimp.

We say prawn.

Hmph.

Armitage Shanks:

Deofuta:
I loved that letter,

Its illegal in the way that Cuban cigars or Stolichnaya is/was in the US. Thats to say it is, but no ones gonna enforce it.

OT: This article suddenly clarifies so much about Atkinson.

Wait wait wait wait wait.. Stoli is illegal in the US?! Since when? Oh this is bad news.....

Asparagus Brown:
As amusing as this is, Michael Atkinson isn't the Attorney-General of Australia, he's the Attorney-General of South Australia. Also, I get the feeling that state Attorney-General is an appointed position, not an elected one,

He is an elected member of South Australia, who was appointed as AG by the majority party leader (a portfolio, his area of responsibility in the cabinet).

Suave, thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression it was less party-involved than that.

Frizzle:

Wait wait wait wait wait.. Stoli is illegal in the US?! Since when? Oh this is bad news.....

Well, until the wall came down basically. Basically part of that whole kerfuffle we call the Cold War.

That was classic!

very amusing to read :D

fanrock51:
I didn't read all of article (mainly because I'm sleepy) but I just want to point out one thing.

Suvarnabhumi Airport wasn't opened fifteen years ago.It was opened about 3 years ago (around times when there was coup detart to get rid of Takki Shinegra)

don't you mean coup d'état?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here