Stolen Pixels #151: "!"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #151: "!"

Someone at BioWare has clearly harnessed the power of the golden exclamation point for their own nefarious ends.

Read Full Article

I honestly hoped that guy would die when

But no, there he still was. How very sad I was.

Meh, I had some extra cash, so I got it. It wasn't bad. It wasn't on par with the Fallout 3 stuff, but then again, not much is.

heh i had digital deluxe so i could just get on with the quest..

also i hadn't expected him to actually BE there if you didn't have it...

Ha ha ha, thank you for doing a Stolen Pixels on that annoying guy. The Devs should realise that not everyone wants to be reminded to get DLC for their games. If I want DLC, I'll get it from the Marketplace like everyone else.

I haven't played Dragon Age Origins yet, but I know what it feels like to be conditioned to feel a surge of glee when a little symbol pops up, and I can imagine the hatred one must feel for these kinds of guys. Kill 'em all, I say.

Exactly. I quite enjoyed the quest, having bought it from the start. However, to have the bloke there trying to flog it to you if you didn't buy it is exceedingly cheeky. Probably adds to the 'OMG they totally cut content' argument over the DLC too.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who hates that prick.

I doubt I'll ever buy it, since its main attraction, a storage chest, I already got through a mod as an NPC who holds your items.

I've always wanted Hideo Kojima to work with either BioWare or Blizzard to make an RPG. We'd never know what the ! stood for.

CantFaketheFunk:
I've always wanted Hideo Kojima to work with either BioWare or Blizzard to make an RPG. We'd never know what the ! stood for.

If Hideo did do an RPG and a character had an exclamation mark over his head - what are the odds the next line of dialogue would be "Whose footprints are these?"

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who has that momentary "Oh, hey - a quest!" reaction every time I go back to camp.

Then I have to compel myself to ignore him while I run around talking to the other NPCs or petting my dog.

*shakes fist at Bioware*
Leslee

Wow did not think that EA would corrupt Bioware like ever other EA brand.

Why is it that no one is complaining that Bioware released a DLC on day 1?

ravensshade:
heh i had digital deluxe so i could just get on with the quest..

also i hadn't expected him to actually BE there if you didn't have it...

Same. I had no idea an NPC was there and that they did that. Quest came with my copy due to promotion, so...never missed out on much.

pfftt. funny.

I was hoping you would make a pokemon reference :(

Shamus Young:
I can't be the only guy who hates him and his punctuated head.

You are not alone.

A related annoyance is the map location with the sole purpose of another DLC quest download.
I felt so cheated when I visited there.
Whatever happened to "suspension of disbelief"? It's like the game is going "nya, nya! There is something cool here but you can't have it unless you buy!" - on you.

The DLC advertising was a major factor in me not getting my own copy of this game.

Strangely my first thoughts at finding this guy in my camp was that it was a rather clever in-game way of promoting that DLC. I never found him that annoying and I just ignored him after that initial time.

Yes, would've made far more sense to just have the guy appear in your camp after you purchased the DLC.

Would've been like finding the random merchant that has the control rod for Shale, except he had the "!" and wouldn't sell you the rod unless you went and got the DLC.

Yeah, I enjoyed the Warden's Keep content, but shoving it down the player's throat that way is just a bad move. If someone wants it, they'll buy it, no need to badger them about it.

I don't know about the 360 or PC version of Dragon Age but on the PS3 version if you are in offline mode on the system the NPC doesn't show up. I didn't even realize the NPC existed until near the end of my first character since I am rarely logged into PSN. I would assume it would be the same on all 3 systems.

For what it's worth, the Warden's Keep quest is actually a lot of fun. The storage chest is handy, yes, but I got something *else* that was even more useful to me...

I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition to start with, so he never offered to sell me anything (since I already owned it).

Susan Arendt:
For what it's worth, the Warden's Keep quest is actually a lot of fun. The storage chest is handy, yes, but I got something *else* that was even more useful to me...

Indeed it is, plus the Warden Commander armor is spiffy.

Yeah, shame on you Bioware! Although Warden's Keep was a pretty fun quest, if rather brutal at the start.

heyheysg:
Why is it that no one is complaining that Bioware released a DLC on day 1?

Because, by now, everyone knows that day one DLC is the stuff they work on if they don't take a break when the game goes to be rated, boxed and shipped?

I kinda hoped that the guy was someone put in with a patch, it would have made it just that little less odious.

Reminds me of that chest in Fable 2 at the end of the first quest in the old Heros Hall where when you try to open it it suggests you visit Fable 2.com to earn special items, completely ruins any immersion in the game. :(

Order of the day when returning to camp.

Pet Barkspawn.
Call Morrigan a selfish bitch.
Accidentally talk to this guy.
Listen to Alistair be an emo for five minutes.
Have Shale call me "it" for five minutes.
Get hit on by Zevran.
Try to ignore the fact that I killed Wynne.
Accidentally...

>_>

In-game advertising taken too far? What's next? Having NPCs sell you REAL swords and armor?

Heh. That's pretty funny. I know I've had quest givers I've wanted to slaughter in many games. I haven't played DA:O yet, but I know the sentiment all too well.

While I guess it was a decent quest it's NOT worth the asking price. It's just way too short.

It's just that he's in your bloody camp. It wouldn't be so bad if they stuck him somewhere in a tavern or something. But no, he keeps following your bloody camp around constantly taunting you with his bloody exclamation point constantly dragging you out of the game.

I'd buy a DLC to kill him.

Just sayin'.

i haven't played the game but, isnt that unfair though? i mean i bet the dlc has possibly better gear (as incentive to buy it) so those who get it will have an advantage. because what's the point of getting dlc if all the stuff you get is the same things just in a red or green color. idk i could be wrong but that's extortion tsk, tsk.

#151! mew! =P

"help me stranger help me!!!...i was doing this thing with my companion and we need your help.but you have to pay real money first"....Yeah that was annoying when i encountered him and i wanted to kill him then and there

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here