On Remakes and Nostalgia

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

On Remakes and Nostalgia

Yahtzee explains why Mario should have been left in space and how Left 4 Dead 2 is like toasted bread.

Read Full Article

Nice text, Yahtzee. (I like left 4 dead 2.)

I guess Yahtzee can get away with religious comments like that simply because nobody dares question him. Or because he is in fact, God.

Since you say that you dont often play multiplayer did you take of the gore filter with L4D2, if so did you find that it changed the immersion or was the gameplay strong enough to not worry about zombie heads while a hunter was ripping off your nipples?

you forgot to mention that the internet breeds fanboyism like it gets going out of style (only it never does). and its from these pools of fanboys who circle jerk for nostalgia, that we find the reluctance of companies to create new ideas because an established audience already exists. this is the problem that fanboys don't realize their making. thats why mario hasn't evolved at all after galaxy, and probably won't again (go ahead fanboys, tell me galaxy 2 or new super mario bros wii (a remake of a remake) is going to be an evolution of the franchise)

The comment 'talking to [Mario fanboys] is like talking to people who believe in God' is spot on. It is true of all fanboys, and God fanboys have been doing it longest - not subjecting your beliefs to rational scrutiny. Analogy win. Hope you didn't apologise.

This Was a great Read.

But I predict that Mario is still gonna live.

qbanknight:
thats why mario hasn't evolved at all after galaxy, and probably won't again (go ahead fanboys, tell me galaxy 2 or new super mario bros wii (a remake of a remake) is going to be an evolution of the franchise)

Mario will evolve again. He's got 40+ games under his belt, lots of differences between them.

Goldeneye1989:
Since you say that you dont often play multiplayer did you take of the gore filter with L4D2, if so did you find that it changed the immersion or was the gameplay strong enough to not worry about zombie heads while a hunter was ripping off your nipples?

I'm pretty sure he answered that question in his review.

I think the problem with remakes is nostalgia vs. innovation, remaking a game just in HD with no changes is purely nintendo's money grabbing tactic.
Capcom and valve are the only two developers who had remakes which were worth getting (re1, any pre hl2 source game), due to massive changes.
Mega man 2.5D (search bar) seems to be the only remake idea with innovation applied to the concept.

SikOseph:

qbanknight:
thats why mario hasn't evolved at all after galaxy, and probably won't again (go ahead fanboys, tell me galaxy 2 or new super mario bros wii (a remake of a remake) is going to be an evolution of the franchise)

Mario will evolve again. He's got 40+ games under his belt, lots of differences between them.

So he's going to evolve again in 5 years? Thats great...oh and btw i'm not counting all the spinoff BS (tennis, party, golf, etc.). i'm talking about just the straightforward platformer

I hope Mario gets eaten by Bowser in the final cutscene of the next Mario game along with a message "THE END". That way we will simultaneously get closure and humour.

Ninjamedic:
I think the problem with remakes is nostalgia vs. innovation, remaking a game just in HD with no changes is purely nintendo's money grabbing tactic.
Capcom and valve are the only two developers who had remakes which were worth getting (re1, any pre hl2 source game), due to massive changes.
Mega man 2.5D (search bar) seems to be the only remake idea with innovation applied to the concept.

I think you're right.

*goes away to try and pre-order the Shadow of the Colossus re-release*

What? It's not a remake!

I actually prefer buttered toast to all of offerings of food mentioned.

BUTTTTEERREEDD TTOOOOAASSSST!

Hahaha
It's like talking to people who believe in god.
Capital!
Too hasty? Fuck no. Been a long time since I literally laughed at something on here. And it is ever so true.

I'm tired of eating toast. Anyone else with me?

The God comment made me rather happy. I hate religion, so, so much.

HUBILUB:

Ninjamedic:

I think you're right.

*goes away to try and pre-order the Shadow of the Colossus re-release*

What? It's not a remake!

Go see mega man 2.5D, best fan idea in a long while

*sigh*

First of all, this is not a retread of any sort. You claim that this game is a remake of Mario 3? Mario is far more maneuverable in this title than he is in that game. He can wall jump, butt-stomp, and pretty much do anything he could in 3D in a 2D plane. You might immediately claim that therefore this must be a carbon-copy of the DS game. Again, no. There are many new levels, some new power-ups, a 4-player versus option, a 4-player versus component, motion controlled areas and the Super Guide. This is not the same game.

And you're really going to emphasize story and gameplay on the same level of importance? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy narrative in games as well. However, you should remember the medium we're discussing. We're not talking about movies, novels, or plays. We're talking about games. Therefore, the gameplay must always take full position of importance. Following shortly thereafter should be level-design that compliments the gameplay, not the story. In fact, narratives in games are rather unimportant in the whole scheme of things. Yes, they may give you a compelling reason to continue playing. But if the game itself is not enjoyable to play, then what's the fucking point?

You made me hungry too.. cheese and ham grilled sammich for mee!

You can say what you like Yahtzee, but given a choice between the two I'd choose the new Mario game over the weak zombie game any day. Although you're right, some of these 20+ year old franchises need to be brought to an end. "All good things..." and all that.

So, grilled sandwiches with meat are better than ones with tuna, right?

snowman6251:
The God comment made me rather happy. I hate religion, so, so much.

And it hates you back. ;)

'Goes to realitize the aforementioned imagined grilled sandwich'

Again, no. There are many new levels, some new power-ups, a 4-player versus option, a 4-player versus component, motion controlled areas and the Super Guide. This is not the same game.

Anyone else find that incredibly ironic?

I really can't understand this antipathy towards this new Mario game. Hasn't every Zelda game follwed what is essentially the same formula as it's predecessors with a new gimmick or two?
Even with the transition into three dimensions, they kept the core gameplay, and those games would have worked in the old top-down format.
Look at the DS iterations of Zelda. Quite similar to the SNES/Gameboy era. Utilizing the stylus, but essentially unchanged.
Adding new elements to a much-loved formula is okay.

What I'm worried about is Mario Galaxy 2. Couldn't they think of a new setting?

poiumty:

Again, no. There are many new levels, some new power-ups, a 4-player versus option, a 4-player versus component, motion controlled areas and the Super Guide. This is not the same game.

How so?

samaritan.squirrel:
I really can't understand this antipathy towards this new Mario game. Hasn't every Zelda game follwed what is essentially the same formula as it's predecessors with a new gimmick or two?
Even with the transition into three dimensions, they kept the core gameplay, and those games would have worked in the old top-down format.
Look at the DS iterations of Zelda. Quite similar to the SNES/Gameboy era. Utilizing the stylus, but essentially unchanged.

After space, where the hell are you supposed to go? And don't say Alternate Dimensions and cross overs please.

Sorry. Accidental Double Post.

Multi-Kill:

poiumty:

How so?

samaritan.squirrel:

After space, where the hell are you supposed to go? And don't say Alternate Dimensions and cross overs please.

I don't know. Cyberspace? Subterranean? Underwater Objectivist DysUtopia?
They'd think of something.

Mario Kart levels seem to be able to pull it off quite well. And that's using old material as thematic inspiration.

Story is and remains equally as important as gameplay

This line deserves a round of applause. You sir are my new internet hero.

HUBILUB:
I guess Yahtzee can get away with religious comments like that simply because nobody dares question him. Or because he is in fact, God.

...or because, in the grand scheme of things, people know he's that irrelevant.

Look, he's funny and all, and I haven't missed a showing. But the truth is he's just guy with a very slanted view, that atracts people with the same slanted view. Most other people ether laugh or don't and then move on with their lives.

samaritan.squirrel:

Multi-Kill:

poiumty:

How so?

samaritan.squirrel:

Mario Kart levels seem to be able to pull it off quite well. And that's using old material as thematic inspiration.

Despite being the pope of the First Church of Yahtzee on this site, damn those are some good ideas.

Cocamaster:

HUBILUB:

...or because, in the grand scheme of things, people know he's that irrelevant.

Look, he's funny and all, and I haven't missed a showing. But the truth is he's just guy with a very slanted view, that atracts people with the same slanted view. Most other people laugh and go on with their lives.

Yay! He's as as irrelevant as the rest us!

Sorry. Expected someone else to post before me by the time I made this post.

Multi-Kill:

samaritan.squirrel:

Multi-Kill:

poiumty:

How so?

samaritan.squirrel:

Despite being the pope of the First Church of Yahtzee on this site, damn those are some good ideas.

Well, the Nintendo think-tank should come up with better ones. Trust them. Much as people seem to have disliked Mario Sunshine, it was a fine piece of work. Something else along those lines would be marvellous.

Then again, maybe it's just my love of gadgets.

Multi-Kill:

Technically, Mario already did alternate dimensions (Super Paper Mario).

Anyway, as Mario has very, very, very little plot in his games (JUST enough for him to have something to do...ignoring the rpgs, of course), I really don't see the problem in heading backwards in a series like this, especially when the gameplay is greatly refined when compared to Super Mario World, his last console 2D platformer.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here