The Escapist Presents: Augmented Reality

Augmented Reality

Team Hollywood sits down with Robert Rice, CEO of Neogence Enterprises, to talk about Augmented Reality and what gamers can expect to see right around the corner.

Watch Video

I've watached this show once before here on the Escapist (was about AI I think), and I must say it's very interesting, it's nice to see some serious documentary-style videos about gaming, game development and virtual technology. I'd love to see this come more often.

Thanks for the opportunity for the interview guys!

If anyone is interested in my blog, it is at www.curiousraven.com

You can find me on twitter as well (@robertrice).

Robert

nicodemus919:
Thanks for the opportunity for the interview guys!

If anyone is interested in my blog, it is at www.curiousraven.com

You can find me on twitter as well (@robertrice).

Robert

This is admittedly off topic but your user name caught my eye. Would you happen to be a Dresden files fan? Or whatever the Harry Dresden book series goes by.

This looks really interesting and I hope they further develop it.

18 months? Wow, I can't wait. They better get on the HUD sunglasses soon so we won't have to worry about running around with an iPod in front of our face.

Whilst AR is cool looking, until HUD sunglasses or holographic projectors come around, its abit pointless as you still have to look at the screen insteado of the reality you're supposely augmenting.

i don't think this will last. think about it how long before someone murders someone else in the real world and then blames it on the virtual world or some bs like that. then all responsibility goes out the window. soon all AR would be banned because people are dumb. i mean some people now can't differentiate between whats just a game, movie, or tv show from what's reality. what do you honestly think will happen if AR is fully integrated into our lives. i think it's a cool idea and would love to use it in an adult, responsible manner, but we all know a few fucking morons will ruin it for everyone else like they always do. i would like to have fun but at the end of the day realize that what i just did isn't real and that it's time to go back to reality and i am 100% sure that not everyone is going to be mature enough to do that.

I want to see more, can I have a virtual butler? Morons ruin everything, there is no point worring about it, large numbers of stupid people will out do the small number of smart people. We will just build the matrix and put all the stupid people in there :) .

Man, I am so psyched for this. AR is awesome. Just wait until they are in glasses (or contact lenses). Life will be like a videogame. Except for the fun part, that you will need to provide yourself. It'll be like GTAIV, then (rimshot).

In case anyone wants to mess about with AR themselves: the marker tracking system shown in a few clips (e.g. the dancing Hatsune Miku) is called ARToolKit. You can download it for free and mess about with it, and there are plenty of tutorials on how to set things up. I can't recall the name of the point-tracking system demoed on the iphone right now, but the palm-and-digit tracking system is new to me.

awesome. I want to hold a bunny.

Im going to have to remeber this video for when i get report writing for univeristy. Will make a great case study and example for what i want to study. Great vid!

man, if you thought stupid people got their panties in a bunch over manhunt on the wii imagin what they will do when this stuff is viable and some of the content we have for it

The biggest boon for the AR market would be glasses that can be worn on a regular/permanent basis that are clear and see through but which will also double as the monitors displaying the augmentation (preferably with a prescription as I'm shortsighted)imagine movies that are true 3d!

psuedonymous:
In case anyone wants to mess about with AR themselves: the marker tracking system shown in a few clips (e.g. the dancing Hatsune Miku) is called ARToolKit. You can download it for free and mess about with it, and there are plenty of tutorials on how to set things up. I can't recall the name of the point-tracking system demoed on the iphone right now, but the palm-and-digit tracking system is new to me.

sweet! thanks...
also, until we get glasses/sunglasses/contacts of AR,it won't be really possible to mass-market those technologies...

Is there any Billionaire geek ready to invest massively in R&D?

Hopefully when they become mainstream, the AR glasses will be easy to code for. I want to program an App that lets you put the blue Left 4 Dead outline around up to 3 of your friends, and nearby medical equipment and possible improvised weapons. You know, for when the true zombie apocalypse starts. :D

Or maybe it will be possible to get it to work with Light Amplification, and make a VISR app.

I can't believe it. This looks so explosively awesome. I love the 'Fighting figures' idea. I want gladiators on my dinner table fighting for me. I really have so many ideas of how awesome thus could be I'm bursting at the seams.

One of the (Read: My only) concerns I have is that medieval thing; Vehicular manslaughter, anyone? Or would, if they're made, the glasses for AR allow you to see a horseback rider or something? And it would seem kind of weird to you to, before glasses, be running around town seeing something no one else does and, let's say, hitting a skeleton monster that's air? Surely everyone's AR is a different sight, right? Ah, whatever.

And to solve your AR glasses problem, I'm sure a I-touch/Droid/whatever else holding helmet could be made, no? That would keep both hands free.

1) Eric the Orange: Yes, I'm a Dresden Files fan. No, it had nothing to do with the blog name.
2) Everyone else: AR isn't the same as VR. The wearable displays are transparent, which means you still see the real world, but you also see infographics data overlayed...think of it like the GUI for a MMORPG...character names over their heads, map in the corner, quest objectives, etc. AR is the *blend* between the real and virtual, not a full replacement like VR.
3) Wearable displays with transparent lenses will be prescription friendly.
4) google it or search on youtube for a ton of examples.

Arachon:
I've watached this show once before here on the Escapist (was about AI I think), and I must say it's very interesting, it's nice to see some serious documentary-style videos about gaming, game development and virtual technology. I'd love to see this come more often.

Yeah i love these videos. They are great and usually have the right amount of funny to topic coolness and seriousness.

I had an idea while watching the video, I'm working it out when i typed it:

that was extremely cool.
i would love an ap to have little monsters fight on the table in front of me!!
the next pokemon .. woot!

Japan is going to totally freak out when they get to put their anime idols on a real stage.

dude, i was just talking to my friends the other day about how life would be crazeh if we were in the pokemon world insteada here, you could then use this to bring pokemon "alive" xD that would be crazy osm, star wars fans could also have actual lightsaber battles, and live RPG fans can have a more creative RPG experience o.o

pvp is going to be awesome.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here