Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Pages PREV 1 . . . 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 . . . 23 NEXT

made me laugh this did, although I have never even heard of the game haha
Great review but I think I will pass playing it

sephiroth1991:
You sold me Yahtzee, i will not buy this game. If you found it hard, then how do most of us have hope.

Great Scott, okay Imma break this down real quick.

Do you learn from experience? No? then you suck at Demon's Souls
If after being shown your own fragility you begin to be cautious? No? then you suck at Demon's Souls
Do you stop to think about your actions? No? then you suck at Demon's Souls

the game within the first 20 minutes shows you it is an unrelenting HELL HOLE that you will not survive until you start thinking, you weren't born with a brain so it could feel hot and floaty it was so you could think.

So yes if your a wimp, Demon's Souls is not for you.

This is 'Hard' in the same sense that God Hand is hard, if you died, it was YOUR fucking fault

WAAAAit wait wait wait waaaaaiiiiiitttttt...
wait waiiiiiit...
wait.
Didn't Ms Arendt already review this? Like, AAAAAAAAGES ago?
Falling behind on schedule, Ben? Tsk tsk.

Why the hell would they make a game so hard, I bought this game thinking "Finally a challenge" but it is just riduculous, cudos to you Yahtzee my fellow Aussie you got further and put up with the frustration longer than I did. Now its in the corner of the cupboard and I am replaying through Uncharted 2 on crushing instead, surprisingly it is easier than Demon'ssssss SSoulsSS (but still difficult)

Tonimata:
wait waiiiiiit...
wait.

Just to let you know they took ages to release the game here in Australia for a longer than necessary time, hence the reason for being behind.

sephiroth1991:
You sold me Yahtzee, i will not buy this game. If you found it hard, then how do most of us have hope.

Gamefaqs?
And the fact that he already told you how most of the stuff in the beginning is going to function. And besides, it's just the gist of the game, to actually be so goddamn hard that beating it feels like... well, breaking a cement wall with your face...
Point is, there will always be an audience for that sort of games, even if it's just the masochistic retards that play I wanna be the guy.

asam92:

Tonimata:
wait waiiiiiit...
wait.

Just to let you know they took ages to release the game here in Australia for a longer than necessary time, hence the reason for being behind.

Aaah, ok, that would make sense, and I sympathize, I'm also prone to receiving goodies later than the rest.

Belladonnah:
Demon's souls was out way before dragon's age. It's also alot better than DA.

I've been made aware of the timing issue, and as for the quality, you are entitled to your opinion.

this is the second boss of the game, see how simply planning this makes the game easier instead of RUN AND HIT THE ENEMY!

You actually have to put some thought into it.

Here's the first boss for those curious

Also yeah the 'grass munching' takes SO LONG why it almost went for half a second!

I loved this game from start to finish, and then from start to finish again.

Nothing more fun than Demon's Souls has been released this year.

Great review Yahtzee, it made me love the game even more.

You imported a game?

You imported a special edition game?

FallenJellyDoughnut:
Jesus christ does Yahtzee get up early! Its 3:00am in Australia!

He submits it long before it is viewable. The Escapist post it.

FROGGEman2:
You imported a game?

You imported a special edition game?

FallenJellyDoughnut:
Jesus christ does Yahtzee get up early! Its 3:00am in Australia!

He submits it long before it is viewable. The Escapist post it.

No Demon's Souls normally comes with that stuff

Demon's Souls is in my top 10 for sure. It was very fun. It gets a lot of hate because so many people just suck too much to handle it, but if you can play it it is well worth it. Yahtzee got several things wrong in the review, notably he missed the rest of the online interaction (co-op and pvp).

Azaraxzealot:

yzzlthtz:

Azaraxzealot:

w/e i can flame about how badly i hated this game all i want, because when i played it, i found the experience frustrating, pointless, and unenjoyable. it's only internet reputation anyways.

Too bad.
That's all you really had to say, though. No need to make supporting arguments just: "I played it and it made me sad."
Cause trust me: We Demon's Souls fans are relentless and pitiless.

well, then i can agree to (strongly) disagree with all of you, no matter how shitty i feel this game is, because I can't change anyone's opinion, but neither can you change mine, I will always hate 80% of what comes out of japanese publishers, so just ignore and don't respond to my statements (should be easy for everyone) when i make my strongly biased accusations and you make yours, then i won't stir up shit because both of us will always think we're right anyways. that's the fucking internet, and i always knew that, i just wanted to see how many fanboys i could piss off by throwing my (strong) opinion out there.

Wait wait wait...
SO, you hate Japanese games and yet you own a ps3 and/or you bothered to play Demon's Souls, is that what you're trying to convince me of here?
Here I'd thought you were just a barely-literate sap who had a hard time with a game and felt the need to vent his man juices, but now I realize that you're probably just a liar and a troll.
must....stop...responding....
oh well, to late.
Are you really happy with your life?

SnootyEnglishman:
Well i can officially say i'm not on board for this game...specially since i tend to be a more defensive player in battle based games and it seems if dodging doesn't do shit then i guess blocking an attack would consist of sticking your face out whilst legions of guards come at you with sharp, shiny and pointed objects

Actually blocking usually consists of sticking a shield in front of your face. Works wonders.

I did give this game a try, and I did get past the ugly start, but really, when I realised just how many souls were going to waste, more than half (even though I did try to go back and spend them as often as I could), I just stopped playing it. I have no problem with challenge, as long as the game doesn't waste my time, and that is the main problem with DS imho. I would rather get my ass kicked in Dragon Age on the hardest difficulty (much harder than DS for sure) but be able to save when I want and concentrate on the challenge ahead, than die to something that requires multiple tries until you learn it but lose 1 fucking hour of gameplay every time that happens. That is shit.

This is my favorite Yahtzee yet, because it combines two of my favorite things:

1) Listening to Yahtzee complain about a game.
2) Listening to a newb whine about Demon's Souls' difficulty.

lol the game really isn't that hard if you combine two things, Patience and Logic.

We know Yahtzee has none of the first, but he should have employed more of the second. You can't blow through this game on a weekend on your first try. It just isn't that type of game.

It's a shame that Yahtzee gave up on the game at *snicker* 1-2. He would have found that this game is incredibly atmospheric and foreboding.

Hey Yahtzee, If you are reading this, I wanted to ask...

Which do you hate more? Children or teenagers?

Just curious...

I'm torn because the typically reviews for the game applaud it's difficulty and I must admit that was something that initially interested me. But there's a level of pedantry that I won't succumb to in games and repeating something over and over again just isn't in my genetic make up.. unless its for warcraft.

I play this game for over a month now, and still can't get enough. For a one handed person, used to play copy/paste Mass effect tipe of games yes it can be hard. But if you love challenge, detail, exellent combat, tons of stuff, replay value (my char is now lv.196, max is 712), this game is heaven. Way better than any Gothic, Dragons age, Risen, NWN and stuff.

For me this game is GOTY all the way. Is it hard? Yes, but is fair. After time you learn and then you die only if you make a mistake. Opponents do not cheat (you can when you learn and if you want to) This game is never ending challenge.

And yes, you can dodge. If you take your time and learn how.

Absolutely marvelous! This has been one of your best reviews in a long time. The description of your adventures was funny in itself, but the addition of the game laughing at you while doing it was priceless. Bravo!

VioletZer0:

WaderiAAA:
1. The first kind you mean? I think Yatzee would disagree. Whatever, I don't plan to get it anyways.

That's a shame...

Whose word would you take for it? An internet celebrity who only went through 1.9 of the stages(discounting the tutorial) or take the word of someone who has played through the game?

It's not about whose word I'd take for it. It is about me not having a PS3, so buying the game would be kindof a waste

Cuz buying games is serious business.

I'm torn because the typically reviews for the game applaud it's difficulty

I'll keep yelling this until the cows come home, but frustrating difficulty should be considered a detrimental factor to a game's quality. Maybe it evades professional reviewers who play games for a living and -presumably- spend their standard day between playing, paying bills and writing editorials, but my day is divided between a tedious 8-hour-long job, caring for my household and balancing a social life. Then, maybe if I'm lucky, saving about an hour a day to sit back, play a game and unwind.

So-called 'hardcore' gamers haven't sold me on increased difficulty either and I'm a kid of generation NES/Mega Drive myself. Sure, I once liked I could play for hours, finally beat that tough boss and then have to turn off the console to go to bed, only to do the whole thing all over again the next day, but the difference is that back then, after school and homework, I was locked up in an appartment with the only other options of either baking my brain in front of the TV or pissing off my parents.

So Demon's Souls can go fuck itself for all I care. If it's a good game despite its difficulty then it's a pity for both myself and the developers that I'll never get to experience it.

I also have a life + wife :), a 10h job, a car and a cat. Hitting 40-ies, white beard and stuff. But still love to play games. I just got bored with all this Gothic, NWN, Mass effect thingies. With demon's souls I got everything I missed in above mentioned games. You can easely play for an hour and then quit, and play next day from the exactly same spot. The only problem might be that you will not want to qiut :). Just like in the good old days (deus ex, system shock, etc). Games worth playing if you're into games. Even if that means me sleeping 2h less.

All I am saying is, that this review does poor justice to the game itself. But than again what do I care. I've got it, I play it, I enjoy it.

I really don't want to play this. I have no doubt I could probably complete the game eventually but what I've seen is playing this game for a prolonged period of time turns you into a pretentious moron. And I'd rather not scream lawl you just suck! Pussy! etc down the lugholes of people that couldn't beat a stupidly hard game.

You know what no, I'm gonna turn this one around. For funsies mostly. It's not a case of being a failure when it comes to games if you can't beat Demon's Souls. It's a case of failing life if you can.

Now I bid you adieu.

One of the Best games this year. This is not hack/Slash type of game, itīs more like fantasy simulation, you have to plan everything you do, from your equipment to statistics. And yes, itīs hard, but itīs not unfair. If you die, itīs your own fault. You must pay attention to your surroundings, for example, that dragon instakill-part. There were tons of charred corpses lying around. And i saw other playerīs "ghost" die in front of me. Plus thereīs sound of huge wings flapping behind me.So, i didnīt die there.

Pay attention, listen to your surrondings, donīt rush and try to learn other peopleīs mistakes, by inspecting their "bloodmarks" and you will succeed.

And if nothing else works, RUN. (works like charm)

Your neighbor owns a goat? Really?

NickCooely:
I really don't want to play this. I have no doubt I could probably complete the game eventually but what I've seen is playing this game for a prolonged period of time turns you into a pretentious moron. And I'd rather not scream lawl you just suck! Pussy! etc down the lugholes of people that couldn't beat a stupidly hard game.

You know what no, I'm gonna turn this one around. For funsies mostly. It's not a case of being a failure when it comes to games if you can't beat Demon's Souls. It's a case of failing life if you can.

Now I bid you adieu.

So if I can plan my route ahead and not charge like an idiot... I fail at life.

Your like those jocks in school who thought it made them cool to insult you for knowing words with more than two syllables aren't you?

Onmi:

NickCooely:

Now I bid you adieu.

Your like those jocks in school who thought it made them cool to insult you for knowing words with more than two syllables aren't you?

Could it not also be said that mocking someone because they find this game too difficult makes one like a "jock" at school? Mocking someone because they aren't as good they are at their favorite sport. But this is a circular argument really. Now I'm not saying you have ridiculed anyone over it. My comment was aimed at the general slew of comments in this thread.

EDIT: Just to clarify no I don't seriously believe your failing at life. Call it a petty indulgence on my part. A reversal of the usual "Bawww casual gamer!!11!1" lark when someone says they find a game hard.

[quote="Frequen-Z" post="6.161717.4138635"]Must say, I was looking at this game in curiosity until I watched this. Think I'll pass. Super-hard games aren't my thing.[/quote

Exactly. People often confuse extreme difficulty for challenge. Hell, people often assume "challenge" equates to fun. It does not. Things don't need to be punishing to be fun.

Granted, there really are people who enjoy getting fisted in the rear by insane challenges, but not everyone does. In fact, most people do not. A game should have challenges, yes, but shouldn't force it down your throat and every other orifice.

Ah the hilarity. Brilliant as per usual Yahtzee! Note to self: Never... buy... this... game.

hahaha I like how that exactly the discribes the opeing on the game although apparently he didnt get to the point where you hit a dead end where your not powerfull enough to progress but it takes way too long to grind levels and it was at that point I gave up on Demons Souls

NickCooely:

Onmi:

NickCooely:

Now I bid you adieu.

Could it not also be said that mocking someone because they find this game too difficult makes one like a "jock" at school? Mocking someone because they aren't as good they are at their favorite sport. But this is a circular argument really. Now I'm not saying you have ridiculed anyone over it. My comment was aimed at the general slew of comments in this thread.

Well said, Nick.

It's hard to go anywhere, these days, without running into pretentious and pompous elitist players from one game or another who pretend to know the difference between strategy and tactics, who pretend to understand the meaning of the word "skill".

Now, I say this because (after flipping through pages of comments), there are some members of our community who are indeed rattling on about their supposed superiority because they "succeed" at Demon Souls and lecture people who question the difficulty of the game. Which is unfortunate because it sets a bad example for our younger peers and portrays our kin as snobs that sniff their own bums because they claim it smells like roses.

Let it be known that Punishing difficulty =/= fun for some people. That's right. A lot of people don't actually like having spikes rammed into their rectum for a small misstep. Some people like being able to advance into a game at a steady pace and choosing whether or not to kick that difficulty up a notch. That's not too hard to accept, is it? No. It isn't. So why are people flipping out? Who can say.

But. I have a theory. You see. . if you have a game and enjoy it, you shouldn't at all be concerned with what other people say or feel. Like Yahtzee. He could rip into a game you love and you should be fine because, when it isn't a multiplayer game, other people should have no baring on your experience (yes, yes. . the whole ghost thing but that's really insignificant and not comparable to normal multiplayer). Unless. . . unless, of course, you have this niggling doubt that you aren't actually enjoying the game as much as you think you are. Am I right? Are you just trying to justify your purchases? To justify all that time sunk into the game? Yeah. I think some of you are. Delusion/self-deception. It happens.

oh yeah and totally disagree with unfair... when a Giant troll goblin thing runs across a bridge and hits you once, breaking your guard and killing you at full health... life beginings to feel a little unfair. That and bosses who kill you as you walk into the room

Pages PREV 1 . . . 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here