Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 NEXT

Ryuk2:

yzzlthtz:

Ryuk2:
It actually sounds fun. I want to be challenged, i like the way they do that ''online'' thing, but why the fuck did they have to release it ONLY on PS3?

Uh...because it's Sony's game.

But why? They could get money by selling games to PC/Xbox owners. Instead people will download those games and run them with emulators. (if it's possible)

Emulate the PS3?

Really?

OT: I did order this game for christmas, it sounds bittersweet, but I could use the sense of achievement that would come with working my way through it slowly.

Well, I love the game, but this was an excellent review.

Ryuk2:

yzzlthtz:

Ryuk2:
It actually sounds fun. I want to be challenged, i like the way they do that ''online'' thing, but why the fuck did they have to release it ONLY on PS3?

Uh...because it's Sony's game.

But why? They could get money by selling games to PC/Xbox owners. Instead people will download those games and run them with emulators. (if it's possible)

Because Xbox players couldn't appreciate Demon's Souls. PC...because it is From Software. And they don't make PC games.

no offense Yahtzee but did you even play they game for more then 20minutes?

Its honestly not all that hard and you seem to have missed a fair few points.

For instance saying the online component is only there to leave messages and see ghosts is false, other people can join your game if your alive and if your in spirit mode you can leave marks that let people summon you to theirs.

I live there, yes there is ;) it's an easy target with places such as hasting anyways be proud enough not to complain :) if you like sussex thats ur choice!

Judithia:
no offense Yahtzee but did you even play they game for more then 20minutes?

Its honestly not all that hard and you seem to have missed a fair few points.

For instance saying the online component is only there to leave messages and see ghosts is false, other people can join your game if your alive and if your in spirit mode you can leave marks that let people summon you to theirs.

He made it pretty obvious he only beat the first boss, never spent any souls and never opened up any of the shortcuts/check points.

UGH:
I actually registered to make this comment.
I've been keeping up with your reviews since your first videos on YouTube.
So far you've actually given all the games you review a chance, until now.

ISSUES WITH THIS VIDEO:
- You didn't play past the first level
- You don't give the game a chance
- You act like rushing around carelessly is suppose to be an effective strategy for all games
- You don't try to learn from the game
- You act like the game is bad because you die for repeating the same failed strategy
- You didn't review the game, as you neglect to mention almost all main features:
--- Multiplayer (supportive, blue stone summon) - Having other people help you in your game or helping others to regain your body
--- Multiplayer (offensive, black stone invasions) - Even playing as a Boss enemy to others in one level
--- The class system, jobs, special builds
--- The level system, how you level up in the game
--- The inventory and weight system, and why you suck and fast dodging due to it
--- Spells, what abilities are you given to fight with in the game
--- World and character tendency
--- The checkpoints, the shortcuts unlocked in levels, and why you lie about saying there are none

The list goes on, I doubt you read the back of the box, much less the instruction manual. I don't know how you can call giving a summary of how you didn't play past level 1 a "review".

I was looking forward to a Ninja Gaiden II style review, and your complaints after beating the 1-2 level boss (Tower Knight), but this video is nothing like I've seen you do before, and I mean that in a bad way.

I DEMAND A REAL REVIEW:
This game will kick you in the teeth only when you do stupid crap, and you'll hate it when you die because you know you're doing something wrong, but that's why you like it. The game isn't being unfair, you know exactly why you died, and it's easily avoidable, and it's always your own fault for doing something stupid in the first place. Yes, you'll die! A lot! But if you don't want a challenge, go play Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, a piss-poor 10 hour or less "game" you can play in one play-through when you rent it one Saturday. No one wants to pay $60 for a game they can beat in a day, that's why video game rental places stay in business. Did you spend 10 hours on Demon's Souls? Hell no, you didn't even bother to level up or try one of the easier first levels at the other worlds. If you tried not leveling up in a standard RPG and died often because of it, I would blame you for being stupid and not trying to learn how to play the game instead of whining about how you lost.

IS THIS GAME HARD?:
Only if you try to rush through the game so you can post a video review to complain about the name of the game and rattle off a summary of how you played through level one. Level one is trial and error, yes. After you beat level one, start a new game and play it again and you'll breeze through it, I swear, I did it myself. I spent 3-4 hours playing through level one and died a lot, then I played a new game again to see if it was just me being stupid or not learning all those times. Hell yes it was, played through the whole thing again without dying in 30 minutes unlocking all the checkpoints in the level and getting all the loot. The game only punishes you for doing stupid stuff like trying to rush through instead of learn one of the many strategies to passing levels. IF you learned from level one, the rest of the game isn't horribly difficult. If you didn't learn from level one, and also didn't bother to equip the cling ring and thief ring which you get from playing level one regular like everyone else, you'll have a hard time.

I'll pass, I got enough of murderously hard games when I beat Castlevania/Izuna/Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden 2/Panzer Dragoon Orta/ I wanna be The Guy.

oldgamer:
I DEMAND A REAL REVIEW.

Zero Punctuation isn't a review...

It's comedy. Yes, he talks about a game he's played, but it's not a real review.

Yahtzee's also made mention that if he doesn't mention something about a game, then he probably LIKED that about it and thus didn't bother to mention.

It think this was a fine Zero Punctuation. I just disagree with people who think they wouldn't play the game because of it...

Really looking forward to next week's Extra Punctuation.

The Deadpool:
Zero Punctuation isn't a review...

It's comedy. Yes, he talks about a game he's played, but it's not a real review.

Yahtzee:
What pisses me off is when people say I'm not a 'real' reviewer because I try to be funny. They usually say this when I've slagged off a game they like. What the hell do you define as a 'real' review, anyway? I give my honest opinion on the games I play and give reasons why I like or don't like them. What more do you want?

Demons Souls is that all the games industry has to offer the bored cincal gamers now. An overly hard game that can be compared to god of war. WHEN WILL THE MOTHER FUCK PISSY SHIT END. FOR FAKE SAKES. Screw this. This is probaly when so many gamers are such peice of shit to talk to. What happened to all the rational gamers? And what the hell happend to originality in this industry?

This is definitely a "RENT FIRST, DON'T BUY!" type game.

You obviously have already made up your mind on the game. So I ask you what the fuck difference does it make to you what Yahtzee says? If by now you don't realize this is how Yahtzee reviews games then stop watching his videos. If you want reviews that basically translate into text blow jobs for the developers go to IGN.

OK Yahtzee, Like always, you trash the game your reviewing, which is always hilarious, but you also give the games you review a chance to prove themselves. You of all people should know that role playing games take a little time to get into, from what I saw in your review, you didn't even get past the 2nd level in the first world, hardly enough time to level up your character a few levels. you reviewed this one poorly making it sound like a frustrating, insignificant experience.

For some reason people look to your reviews for guidance on whether they should buy a game. there are a lot of comments here where I see people deciding they don't want the game because you made it seem like an impossible feat of a game.

yes, its a tough game, but once you get into it, you will love every second of it. Ive spent about 15 hours with it and its already my favorite game of the year, possibly the last 5 years.

Your videos are always fantastic, and I watch them every week, I also often read your extra punctuation, but with your Demon's Souls review, you have turned off a load of gamers that were interested in the title, you have a status in the gaming world, and people usually trust your judgment, but you have just turned off a lot of gamers out of the best RPG experience released in years, including yourself.

Why the hell was he recommended Demon's soul but never Persona 3/4? as a jrpg its one of the most original, addictive jrpgs.

Fronzel:
Really looking forward to next week's Extra Punctuation.

Hey, he can whine about it as much as he wants, giving an opinion isn't the same as a review. Especially when said opinion is eschewed towards the downsides of a game for the sake of humor.

He admits that he focuses on the bad because it's funnier, he admits that he is not impartial and that it's just his opinion. He makes no pretense of fairness, or impartiality, or any of that stuff, because there is none. So why then should his video have any more or less bearing than the other 600 posts out here? Why would someone get mad and DEMAND him to re-review this game? Seems silly to me.

Zero Punctuation is a man's opinion on games he's played, with a comedic tone and a negative slant. Now you can sit here and complain about how all reviews are ultimately personal opinion, but the point is they're not SUPPOSED to be (and I'll bet they aren't. I'll bet most reviews are ultimately about how much money the reviewee is giving the reviewer in ad revenue, both currently and in the future, but I disgress). Zero Punctuation, as far as I understand it, was never SUPPOSED to be an indepth, impartial and fair look at game.

If it WAS meant to be that way, if it WAS meant to be indepth, impartial and fair, then I apologize to Yahtzee for the misunderstanding and would like instead to point out that he sucks at his job.

He's either a good comedian or a bad reviewer. Personally, I see him as a good comedian, but you can see him however you feel like...

The Deadpool:

Zero Punctuation is a man's opinion on games he's played, with a comedic tone and a negative slant.

Well, wait.. which is it? Is it an opinion of a game or completely comedy? Why do you seem to be trying to have it both ways?

runtheplacered:
Well, wait.. which is it? Is it an opinion of a game or completely comedy? Why do you seem to be trying to have it both ways?

When did the two become mutually exclusive?

Think about it, me and Yahtzee both played the game and both agree on the same point. He made a four and a half minute video about it. I can just type "Game's hard and unforgiving."

They're both a man's opinion. They're both the SAME opinion. One of them is funny, the other one isn't.

Neither is a review though...

I had almost exactly the same experience as Yahtzee when I played the game, although I don't want to destroy the disk. My only real gripe with the game is the checkpoint system. If it didn't require me to start from the beginning of the level I might still be playing it. Rather than Pokemon:Mystery Dungeon.
Also, am I the only one who thinks that Yahtzees's depiction of his avatar looks like the orderly from Psychonauts?

oh yahtzee... how do you do it?

I think the main point in all of this is not the fact that Yahtzee did not like the game. The real problem is that he gripes about invalid things: the dodge system for example works perfectly fine. That, combined with the fact that he did not play through even close to half the game before making the video are what everyone is upset about. You can argue opinions and reviews till the apocalypse, but the fact of the matter is that Demon's Souls is a game that a lot of people enjoy and Yahtzee didn't even give it the time of day. I really think that Yahtzee needs to do a follow up on this (maybe actual play the game for more than an hour?) and either admit that this video was bogus or rip the game to shreds proper.

Comedy is only funny if it has some basis in reality-- the opinions in this review were accurate, but only if you are a casual gamer. So if you find yourself nodding in agreement to what Yhatzee said in his Demon's Souls review maybe you should look at yourself.

But hey, being casual isn't a bad thing, it just means you have a life. Just don't pretend to be anything else ... like Yahtzee is doing.

asam92:

Tonimata:

asam92:

Tonimata:
WAAAAit wait wait wait waaaaaiiiiiitttttt...
wait waiiiiiit...
wait.
Didn't Ms Arendt already review this? Like, AAAAAAAAGES ago?
Falling behind on schedule, Ben? Tsk tsk.

Just to let you know they took ages to release the game here in Australia for a longer than necessary time, hence the reason for being behind.

Aaah, ok, that would make sense, and I sympathize, I'm also prone to receiving goodies later than the rest.

Where are you located btw?
Yeah, i hate getting games late, I actually buy all my games off Play-Asia now, Games are $110 new here in Australia (convert from US$ is about 90 cents to an AUD$) so you can see why we are getting raughted
USA pays $60 for a new game and we pay $100 USD for the same game, but we usually have to wait a couple of weeks before we get it. So Higher price longer waiting period AUSSIE RETAILERS CAN GET STUFFED.

I'm spanish, (it's in my profile), and whilst we definetly don't have it that bad, there is still some issues, like second hand copies being EXTREMELY expensive (most of the time they just sell them as first hand) and the state they keep them in (I had to buy The Orange Box 3 times before I got one that worked (and for 360, nothing less))

The world is unfair, and it sucks.
Can't wait till I move to England...

Pancake Lady = Epic Win.

Sussex.

Lmfao.

zondervan:
I think the main point in all of this is not the fact that Yahtzee did not like the game. The real problem is that he gripes about invalid things: the dodge system for example works perfectly fine. That, combined with the fact that he did not play through even close to half the game before making the video are what everyone is upset about. You can argue opinions and reviews till the apocalypse, but the fact of the matter is that Demon's Souls is a game that a lot of people enjoy and Yahtzee didn't even give it the time of day. I really think that Yahtzee needs to do a follow up on this (maybe actual play the game for more than an hour?) and either admit that this video was bogus or rip the game to shreds proper.

Comedy is only funny if it has some basis in reality-- the opinion in this review were accurate, but only if you are a casual gamer. So if you find yourself nodding in agreement to what Yhatzee said in his Demon's Souls review maybe you should look at yourself.

But hey, being casual isn't a bad thing, it just means you have a life. Just don't pretend to be anything else ... like Yahtzee is doing.

Well I have to say I have mixed opinions here.

To be honest I think the amount of time he put into the game was enough to form an opinion, even if it's one we do not like. We're talking what was probably at least a couple of hours. To be fair few people are liable to expose themselves to that much time and figure "I am going to do more of this activity I do not find enjoyable, for no reason other than to see if it gets better". We watch The Escapist to hear Yahtzee's opinion and the rather scathing way in which he expresses it.

To be fair, Yahtzee never struck me as someone who was really into "very hard games" despite a lot of his bravedo at times. Demon's Souls is not only a very hard game, but a very complicated game when you get down to it as well. A lot of the situations involved in the game being akin to puzzles rather than an RPG or even an action game. Demon's Souls get easier once you learn, and remember the various gimmicks (at least as far as I've gotten).

When it comes to the dodging Mechanics and such, well I can see what his problem was. The dodge/evade backstep is not useful except in very specific situations, and has to be timed perfectly (as do parries). The "block with shield" button is more your general purpose defense for the beginning of the game, and probably closer to what he was hoping the evade would do. What's more even so you tend to do most of your dodging by rolling, I can't think of many situations where I have relied on a quick backstep as a defense unless an enemy was going into a "Stop and blade frenzy" attack.

Yahtzee has never really been an RPG guy and honestly I can see why he'd find this annoying and not inspiring him to put in the time to master the game.

Heck, you can tell how much time he put into things if he seems to think that coming back to life was intended to be a big "payoff". Most people wind up suiciding at The Nexus to avoid changing their world tendency. He also probably missed the Cling Ring which gives you 3/4 your health as opposed to 50%. Of course in that game it's probably healthier to tend to think of being alive as giving a health boost, rather than it actually reducing your health bar. :P

@ those of you who want a "real review", go to the section of the website that has said reviews. Y'know... by clicking the tab at the top called "REVIEWS" <__<

Susan Arendt reviewed the very same game, here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/928-Demons-Souls-Review-Supplement those of you who aren't happy with yahtzee can check it out.

Honestly, no one should be basing what games they buy/don't buy solely on one review. You should be motivated by a genuine interest and no one else should be able to take that interest away from you.

As far the the video itself goes, i loved it. I thought it was funnier than usual. I watched it again maybe three or four times xD

Wow, almost 700 comments, is that a record?

The Great JT:
Pardon me for ripping off Conan the Barbarian Ghengis Khan, but what is best in life, Yahtzee?

(And yes, it was Ghengis Khan who said that first, Conan merely copied it off him.)

If you're going to get pedantic, it was only ascribed to Ghengis Khan in a biography. There's no guarantee he ever actually said it. It was certainly said centuries before Milius wrote it in CtB, however.

To be honest I think the amount of time he put into the game was enough to form an opinion, even if it's one we do not like. We're talking what was probably at least a couple of hours. To be fair few people are liable to expose themselves to that much time and figure "I am going to do more of this activity I do not find enjoyable, for no reason other than to see if it gets better". We watch The Escapist to hear Yahtzee's opinion and the rather scathing way in which he expresses it.

To be fair, Yahtzee never struck me as someone who was really into "very hard games" despite a lot of his bravedo at times. Demon's Souls is not only a very hard game, but a very complicated game when you get down to it as well. A lot of the situations involved in the game being akin to puzzles rather than an RPG or even an action game. Demon's Souls get easier once you learn, and remember the various gimmicks (at least as far as I've gotten).

When it comes to the dodging Mechanics and such, well I can see what his problem was. The dodge/evade backstep is not useful except in very specific situations, and has to be timed perfectly (as do parries). The "block with shield" button is more your general purpose defense for the beginning of the game, and probably closer to what he was hoping the evade would do. What's more even so you tend to do most of your dodging by rolling, I can't think of many situations where I have relied on a quick backstep as a defense unless an enemy was going into a "Stop and blade frenzy" attack.

Yahtzee has never really been an RPG guy and honestly I can see why he'd find this annoying and not inspiring him to put in the time to master the game.

Heck, you can tell how much time he put into things if he seems to think that coming back to life was intended to be a big "payoff". Most people wind up suiciding at The Nexus to avoid changing their world tendency. He also probably missed the Cling Ring which gives you 3/4 your health as opposed to 50%. Of course in that game it's probably healthier to tend to think of being alive as giving a health boost, rather than it actually reducing your health bar. :P

You make some fair points, and your level headed tone rings true.

Therumancer:

Yup. This pretty much explains everything.

Yahtzee basically only gives balanced reviews of action games (FPS, survival horror, etc). If he's reviewing something from any other genre you can pretty much expect him to hate it for some absurd reason that fans of that genre would never care about. In fact, aside from his good taste in action games, Yahtzee's opinions are more or less the same as what you'd find on some Halo fanboy message board (albeit with more wit and better writing).

This week's extra punctuation should be enjoyable :D

Oh, and anyone else besides me think this might end up causing another "mailbag showdown" like with the SSBB review?

Biroshock:
I had almost exactly the same experience as Yahtzee when I played the game, although I don't want to destroy the disk. My only real gripe with the game is the checkpoint system. If it didn't require me to start from the beginning of the level I might still be playing it. Rather than Pokemon:Mystery Dungeon.
Also, am I the only one who thinks that Yahtzees's depiction of his avatar looks like the orderly from Psychonauts?

It doesn't. there are shortcuts you can open up in the levels that function like checkpoints.

I'm appalled that YZ didn't even find them - it just proves he tried to run straight through the game and expected to live.

sanzo:
This week's extra punctuation should be enjoyable :D

Oh, and anyone else besides me think this might end up causing another "mailbag showdown" like with the SSBB review?

God I hope so, because I've already defeated his "review" point-by-point.

zondervan:

You make some fair points, and your level headed tone rings true.

He missed the Thief's Ring too, which makes it harder for baddies to notice you and less likely to gangrape you.

And the dogs are easy, all you have to do is draw them out one by one and use turpentine.

UnlimitedCreativity:

BlackDodongo:

UnlimitedCreativity:
oh yeah and totally disagree with unfair... when a Giant troll goblin thing runs across a bridge and hits you once, breaking your guard and killing you at full health... life beginings to feel a little unfair. That and bosses who kill you as you walk into the room

Maybe you should have seen the GIANT GOBLIN THAT IS CLEARLY QUITE POWERFUL and tried to get around him some other way. It can be done, and even if you can't find a way, maybe you just need to level or get a better weapon. You know, because this is an RPG and that's what you do in these games.

Yeah unfortunately Demon Souls is a game where you only figure things out via trial and error.

Wow, so you mean that the Wiki is noexistant? And what, don't you figure everything out by trial and error? Do you have some godly cheat sheet for every game you play so you only have to play it once? How do you even play games at all? Every game requires effort and trial and error. This game just punishes you for being a Rambo wannabe and not using your noodle (the one in your brain).

UnlimitedCreativity:

Level grinding to me is an absolute waste of time... I bought a game to play it, not to boringly replay the same levels to become powerful enough to tackle the next. To me thats lazy game design.

Wow. You should avoid every RPG ever made, because that genre isn't for you. Also never ever play D&D, and don't bother trying to play FF or DQ at all. Also avoid Oblivion and Morrowind, avoid KOTOR, avoid pretty much anything out of Bioware or Japan in general.

Go play Halo and stop complaining.

UnlimitedCreativity:

although that is somewhat tainted by a game play thats base on a system that dictates that you need to be a certain level to continue.

And you cant criticize me for knocking the game... I've actually played it got about halfway.. then went "Fuck this" this has become work it isnt fun to grind the same areas over and over and then I traded it in

Wow, here I was thinking you understood that progressing and becoming more powerful in a game is sort of part of the game getting more difficult. You probably can't handle an FPS either, because you have to have guns "of a certain level" of power and have learned "by trial and error"that standing in front of an alien with your thumb up your ass will get you killed.

Better stick to Madden, BroGamer. http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=287

Edit: I apologize if this seemed biting, but I used the appropriate level of cynicism to prove the point that all of your assertions are pure fallacy. So please consider the sarcasm and cynical remarks aimed at your points and not you.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here