Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Hmm. Iwas thinking this could go either way. there is a difference between holding a players hand and mercilessy butchering them at all points possible and I suppose balance is what is needed.

I get the feeling this game is very much a test of patience rather than ability and skill (hence the bad review as patience doesnt seem to be one of his check boxes for fun game)

funny as usual. was hoping for the Saboteur but assume Aussie Release dates or apathy got in the way

HUBILUB:
Zero Punctuation, always fun and hilarious.

Although not a very good reviewer.. *flameshield up*

It's just my opinion!

What, you think the Nostalgia critic is better?

I think that the quality of there work of their work is about the same, and always entertains.

For the record I appreciate the "Popeye" reference.

Also if you can leave nots on the ground I would be like "Jump into the hole!", or "you need to be killed by the dragon 3 times!"

Multi-Kill:

FallenJellyDoughnut:
Jesus christ does Yahtzee get up early! Its 3:00am in Australia!

But it's 12:07 PM on the east coast of America.

How is that valid? Yahtzee lives in Brisbane, Australia.

I don't know one person who hasn't been through at least eight controllers due to frustration and cement wall contact.

This is why I love Wednesdays! Entertaining, as always.

Sounds very bad, will avoid.

Engles:
No need to knock Sussex...

It's a joke, as I too live in Sussex (West!) I found it tremendously funny as it is true.

Demon's Souls? As in one demon with many souls? Or did they mean many demons with one soul? Methinks they placed the apostrophe in the wrong place.

To quote Linkara... "Because poor literacy is cool."

That was actually funny for once, cheers :)

well i guess its lucky to be in vienna then its 17:00 here ^^

To be a pedantic twat, "Demon's Souls" implies one demon with multiple souls, whereas "Demon Souls" would just imply that there are Souls of demons.

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Multi-Kill:

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Most of his viewers are in America is why.

So a demon has or may have a plural number of souls? I was under the impression that unlike ghosts, they had none at all.

Multi-Kill:

HUBILUB:

It's just my opinion!

I think that the quality of there work of their work is about the same, and always entertains.

It's great quality, just not a good review.

And I never said Nostalgia Critic is better (even though he is, although he does get a minus for liking the Transformers film)

As always good review and yes Demon Souls is a frustrating game, but I prefer a frustrating one over a crappy one (insert any bad game).

Hopefully he'll review Borderlands next.

So, hard as in you get #@%#ed every step you take. Its like a series of brutal gags where it rather the one watching has more fun than the one playing.

Brilliant review. Having played the game (and loved it) I laughed quite a bit at your misfortune (as I shared most of them myself)
Would have been awesome if you had overcome the last few monsters of that level, to meet The Tower Knight.
I would love to hear what you'd say about that guy :>

Wait...

How do you know what queen alien tastes like?

It'd probably be better if I didn't know, actually...

Nice review - I guess it takes realism out of a game if you die every five seconds, despite the hardness.

I like the odd challenge but i think i may pass this unless i get it for free (Oi, santa!). I liked the change of reviewing the game, you never get to hear a full description of what Yahtzee gets up to.

HUBILUB:

Multi-Kill:

HUBILUB:

It's just my opinion!

It's great quality, just not a good review.

And I never said Nostalgia Critic is better (even though he is, although he does get a minus for liking the Transformers film)

How in this particular case is this not a good review?

Multi-Kill:

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Multi-Kill:

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Most of his viewers are in America is why.

I never saw Yahtzee as the sort of person who would get up at 3:00am in the morning just to better accomodate his american viewers when he could easily wait till 6:00am or even 8:00am which would be Dinner time for you americans.

It's been a long time since Yahtzee made me laugh this hard. Epic win.

Decabo:
Good review by the way, although I was hoping you'd review Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

I think that's still a few months away in Australia, it certainly is in Europe.

I'm always up for a satisfying challenge, but this sounds like it just goes into the point of frustration, and quite frankly that's the LAST thing I need in my life right now.. Maybe I'll just rent it locally (as opposed to using one of my precious Gamefly slots) to see if it is manageable.

FallenJellyDoughnut:

The videos, like most of the content here, are uploaded and ready to publish in advance. The schedule for Zero Punctuation is to go live at noon, Eastern time.

That kinds of confirm my opinion on Demon'ssssssss Souls. That it is a game made by people that hate gamers, and people think the challenge is to prove them wrong.

And Yathzee, you don't have to kill the boss to resurect... you can return back to life by finding your blod stain (the place where you last died)

ugh, I hate this type of game, it's not that its hard, its one of those stupid "you have to memorize every little detail in order to advance and get the timing just right or else you DIE" pieces of crap. I do not consider trial and error or memorization based puzzles to be good game design. A GOOD game should give the player a decent chance of getting through on his first try if he has good enough reflexes or is observant enough.

I dont know why someone would make a game that too hard to enjoy. people who ask for games that are hard go find your idea of hard play it and shut up. I dont know what yahtzee idea of hard but fun is mabey megaman nine on wiiware but you know he's going to have a problem with it that nobody else found to be a problem.

Well okay then.

Kazturkey:
I might actually get that game.

Looks like a challenge.

Like doing a maths exam while hung over.

Fun.

How the fuck do you do that?
I have enough problems doing a calc 2 exam while sober.
Granted I have seen two hung over guys walk 5 miles through the woods using only a compass and not get lost.

Also as far as Demon's Souls go. This is a game which I would get a friend to play so I can sit behind them and laugh. Granted I do like playing "I Wanna Be the Guy".

Yeah, I can related. I played this game because some fuck-nugget (aka my brother-in-law) told me it was the best game EVAR!!! It sucked... completely unintuitive, no save points, and the game was pretty tight-lipped about what the fuck I was supposed to do. Who thought this was a good idea??

Reminds me of writting an essay about the middle east conflict without takin position.

Well, the selection of game was fairly unexpected, but his response to it wasn't.

Demon's Souls is a really hard game, but that's part of the enjoyment. You have to learn how to play it, and unlike, say, I Wanna Be the Guy the depth of the game actually lets you play it multiple ways effectively. It's a shame that Yahtzee won't get to that point.

But it is definitely true that Demon's Souls could deal with a less vertical difficulty curve.

SnootyEnglishman:
Well i can officially say i'm not on board for this game...specially since i tend to be a more defensive player in battle based games and it seems if dodging doesn't do shit then i guess blocking an attack would consist of sticking your face out whilst legions of guards come at you with sharp, shiny and pointed objects

Nope, blocking is incredibly useful in the game in most non-boss battles, and still useful in many boss battles. Dodging is even more important than blocking, but, as Yahtzee discovered, the dodge button doesn't instantly make you invincible to enemies. You need to know the patterns of the enemy before you know how to effectively deal with their attacks.
It's actually a very defensive game, because you die so easily if you make mistakes but the enemies die quickly too (long lifebars are too often used as an excuse for difficulty, something this game doesn't do- see Viewtiful Joe.)

angel85:
ugh, I hate this type of game, it's not that its hard, its one of those stupid "you have to memorize every little detail in order to advance and get the timing just right or else you DIE" pieces of crap. I do not consider trial and error or memorization based puzzles to be good game design. A GOOD game should give the player a decent chance of getting through on his first try if he has good enough reflexes or is observant enough.

Partially guilty as charged, but being observant in this game (especially by reading the messages from other players and looking at the environment) cuts down on so many unnecessary deaths. And outside of debatable difficulty of one-time cheap deaths, it is still very challenging and fun to fight the diverse enemies. I'd still call it a good, hard game even if you don't consider the cheap deaths to be real difficulty.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here