Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 23 NEXT

BlueInkAlchemist:

Secondly, if Internet forums full of sniping from gutters like this are to be believed, gaming has died and come back so many times that Jesus looks plain lazy by comparison.

I like this statement.

Engles:
No need to knock Sussex...

Yes it can do that all by it's self :P

Though this has got me thinking, where in this green & pleasant land does Yahtzee come from?

Ryuk2:
It actually sounds fun. I want to be challenged, i like the way they do that ''online'' thing, but why the fuck did they have to release it ONLY on PS3?

The game is published in America by Atlus but it's actually a Sony second party game. Like Microsoft and Halo; Sony owns the IP but paid From Software to develop it with help from a Sony first Party Studio. They didn't publish it in America because they thought Americans wouldn't be into the game. The game sold out of it's original run which goes to show Americans aren't the soft, fat, skill averse pre-teens that Nintendo thinks they are.

DS is a game that grows on you. You may suffer bouts of verbal tourettes in the first 4 h or so but after that you then find the rhythm of the game and it becomes much easier. Then you get into new game+ and then you are once again made to feel helpless and clumsy until you adapt.

Yahtzee couldn't take the heat :V Come on, Demon'Sssss Souls wasn't hard until you beat it once.

Yea I think I'll pass on this game. I don't like playing games were I die over and over and over again. Yes I like a challenge but this is a masochist game.

Hilarious. Good review

Pardon me for ripping off Conan the Barbarian Ghengis Khan, but what is best in life, Yahtzee?

(And yes, it was Ghengis Khan who said that first, Conan merely copied it off him.)

When I am entered into the nearest asylum at some hypothetical point in my life, I will play this game. Not before. Not ever.

Finally, someone who had the exact same fucking experience with the game that I did.

At least I got okay money when I traded the game in.

It's not unfair in its difficulty. It IS very unforgiving, but not unfair.

The complaint against setting a weapon on fire could be avoided by putting the item that is used to do so on the hot bar. Easily remedied.

As for the whole "the dodge button doesn't do anything" complaint, lighter armors let you move further back. Also, you can dodge to the sides, and timing a dodge allows you to strike back with a counter-attack.

I can attest to the game being challenging, but I can't help but feel saddened by seeing so many people say they will completely avoid the game, because one critic thought that it was too difficult to be truly enjoyable. If you see the game past the first two levels, and start to learn the ropes, the feeling of accomplishment that comes with beating a boss demon far surpasses those available in any game I have played in the last 8 years.

OK. This was one of the funniest reviews of ZP EVERrr. Seriously.

BUT! I really can't agree with it. Yes, DS is hard. But I don't think it is THAT hard. I mean, I was playing DS and Uncharted for the past week, and I was dying in Unch far more often. Like, for every 10 deaths in DS there were hundred in Unch.

Thing is - to win in DS just need to be carefull. Always. If you are - you'll win in most situations without all that "learning by dying over and over".

Seriously. I'm not all that great in gaming. But I don't think that there is anything all that impossible in DS.

Ctrl-F tells me the requisite "I Wanna Be The Guy" references have already been made, so let me add a "ditto" to the above and say that if I wanted to play a stupid-hard game, I've got an emulator and Battletoads.

I think I'm going to pick this game up at my local Hollywood Video on the way home. I'm willing to put up with the extreme difficulty if it is at least FAIR, as opposed to relying on cheap killing like most old 8-bit titles would. However, from all the rave reviews this game has been getting, I have to believe that there is some tangible reward for those willing to tough through the beginning growing pains..

Loved the video. I'm hoping to get this game partially because I'm an RPG nut, and partially because I need a challenge, but mostly because I'm tired of playing shooters for a while. Yahtzee is a mad genius.

That's what I'm talking about!

Great review, but we always need harder games, since there are douchebags who say games are too easy these days. YOU JERKS KNOW WHO YOU ARE! D:<

Wow. This doesn't sound like a game. It sound like a test of how much bull you're willing to endure before saying the Hell with it. Much like that blecktastic title "I wanna be the guy" yuck Yuck and 2x YUCK!

Best one in a while me thinks :)
Don't like the sound of the game though =/

alright a game that makes you want to take a cheese grater to your face. awesome! PASS... if i want to be constantly angry and raise my blood pressure to boiling I'll go get married thank you very much

Pyromaniac1337:
How the HELL have you people already watched it?

They haven't, they just wanted to be the first posters (which is why they're now on probation).

yourbeliefs:
I think I'm going to pick this game up at my local Hollywood Video on the way home. I'm willing to put up with the extreme difficulty if it is at least FAIR, as opposed to relying on cheap killing like most old 8-bit titles would. However, from all the rave reviews this game has been getting, I have to believe that there is some tangible reward for those willing to tough through the beginning growing pains..

While greater weapons, spells, armor, etc. are the most common rewards, I feel that the greatest reward is knowing that you just took down the enormous boss that was menacing you mere seconds ago. The game certainty didn't help you do it, and it wasn't because the bosses are easy. It was all YOU. (...and possibly one or two other players that you might have summoned to help you fight through a particularly difficult area).

Also, for those of you who don't mind some slight spoilers (what the boss is/looks like/ how to kill it), here is a video of the archdemon of the Shrine of Storms. Now imagine that you just defeated it, and the feeling you would have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tENmFe09bOE

ass raping game FTL

hilarious as always. and my god Yahtzee sounded like an uppity English snob at the "pause? the game seemed to say. what kind of faggot are you?" anywho, game does sound stupidly hard, will probably give it a miss.

paralost:
alright a game that makes you want to take a cheese grater to your face. awesome! PASS... if i want to be constantly angry and raise my blood pressure to boiling I'll go get married thank you very much

Neither marriage nor Demon's Souls is as hard as you think they are. Demon's Souls is fair but firm when Compared to old school games like Wizardry, nethack, SMB2 (the real one), Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Warrior 1 or Xcom. All of them would result in a swift death if you didn't prep your guy right and you learned this by dying.

no shit the game is hard, its made by Atlus, anyone thats ever played any of the Persona games or Devil Survivor will know what im talking about

This game is a total bitch to people :P

I played it at a mates and I was like fuck this game after 20 minutes.

Hey, I was born in Sussex!

It was a remarkably accurate summation.

Yes, I think letting the game explain itself was the best way to play this one.

Yahtzee thought Ninja Gaiden 2 was really hard but didn't hate it for that. He even wondered if otherwise bad design elements like an uncooperative camera were alright given that the game was supposed to be very hard.

HAHAHA that was fantastic. I agree with most of it but you gotta try the online play.

Photon987:

Also, for those of you who don't mind some slight spoilers (what the boss is/looks like/ how to kill it), here is a video of the archdemon of the Shrine of Storms. Now imagine that you just defeated it, and the feeling you would have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tENmFe09bOE

Hmm, I've just nailed flying bastards with arrows. Stormruler is kinda slow. And sadly it loses it's stormy power when you leave boss location(

iron fist150:
no shit the game is hard, its made by Atlus, anyone thats ever played any of the Persona games or Devil Survivor will know what im talking about

It's published by Atlus in US. And it's MADE by From Software and Sony Japan Studio.

"Demon's'ss's' Souls" is a game that makes me scared. Even looking at the case gives me the heebie jeebies. It's simply not for everyone, so I don't blame Yahtzee's review. It's difficult, but the difficulty really comes from not being prepared and not persevering once you die (because everyone WILL die playing this).

Lord_Gremlin:

Hmm, I've just nailed flying bastards with arrows. Stormruler is kinda slow. And sadly it loses it's stormy power when you leave boss location

Eh, it was just to get people thinking how they would feel if they downed a creature of that sort of scale.

Engles:
No need to knock Sussex...

There's every need!

If you die in Demon's Souls it's because you fucked up somehow. You just have to pay attention to your surroundings and play defensively.

Personally, I like it because it's rare to find a game that's hard for the right reasons.

iron fist150:

It's published by Atlus America. It's made by From Software with help and money from Sony. It's a Sony Second Party Title.

Atlus America doesn't make games. They cherry pick and localize the best niche games from Japan to release here and they are a subsidiary by Atlus Japan so they get dibbs on those.

Perhaps Yahtzee isn't very good at the game?
On average, I died once for every different monster style and once for each boss. Because once you fight them once (or perhaps twice for some mobs), you know what they're going to do and have a fairly good idea of how to approach individual battles. Once you know that, it's quite easy. I died 4 times going through to the first boss the first time I played, and breezed through it with no deaths with another character. I actually like the way you're brought back to the start of a level when you die. I've committed suicides a few times just so everything will respawn and I can farm them for $$.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here